Is Your Dog Coping With The Heat

Why would a fur trim make a difference for an animal that can't sweat, and regulate the body temperature over the skin anyway? That's folklore, not physics. We have two mini poodles who get fancy trims every month, and they like it. Not because of the heat, but they like to show off. smile.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would a fur trim make a difference for an animal that can't sweat, and regulate the body temperature over the skin anyway? That's folklore, not physics. We have two mini poodles who get fancy trims every month, and they like it. Not because of the heat, but they like to show off. smile.png

Nothing to do with sweating. By removing the layer of insulation the body can radiate heat more efficiently. Physics not folklore.

(Of course, when the ambient temperature is above body temperature this is a hindrance.)

Yes, we always trim his tummy, year round.

I hadn't heard of the Furminator but would certainly like to try it. Where can it be found (Bkk)?

Right now (42-43 C where I am) only a full shave will do but for most of the year it sounds like it along with a tummy shave might do the trick while enabling him to retain his gorgeousness.

I found it at one of the Manoon Pet shops (several in Bangkok). Seems to be a Thai franchise.

What the Furminator is, is a brush that catches the shedding undercoat. It doesn't cut hair, just removes the layer of hair that the dog brushes they normally sell doesn't catch. I looked at all the reviews on the Petco website and although I am sure it is much cheaper in the US (I paid close to THB 2,000), in this heat I don't care what it cost. When I bought it, I first used the regular dog brush which we normally use, and then the Furminator and with this brush I got another bagful of hair. I don't know if my dog can tell the difference, but I feel better.

I agree with those that don't cut their dogs hair, but then it isn't 42-43 C in Bangkok. If it was, I am sure we would be trimming it somewhat. I am giving my long hair Golden cold water with ice cubes and she stays in the shade with a wet towel (which she seems to like) and a fan.