Coffee, Pleasantly Surprised At Makro Today.

pattayadingo

It boggles the mind that people prefer to drink instant coffee.

I use a french press and the process is nearly the same as brewing up the instant stuff.

Clearly, instant coffee has it's place, like on the space station or trekking or out at sea.

I recently switched from Bon Cafe brand to Benjamit.

Very pleased though a bit more expensive.

Benjamit coffee house roasts their own beans right in the shop then will grind them with a nice burr grinder to match your coffee maker. Very fresh.

Benjamit is off Soi Bukow on the left, in a small lane, just before you reach Pattaya Tai.

I was also impressed with the owner and staff. Really on the ball.

I totally agree that Benjamit is one of the best, if not the best, coffee outlets in Thailand.

When in Pattaya, I take the walk from Soi 10 to Benjamit just to have my daily caffeine fix.

All you instant coffee lovers should hang your heads in shame for promoting that bottled muck as 'good coffee.' That also goes for those of you who think they are drinking good coffee in Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Coffee World etc.

Do yourselves a favour, find Benjamit and order your preferred cup of coffee there. You'll be converted.

After reading this thread I dropped into Benjamit today. Great coffee, great service, nice place. Rather small cup, however; no air con; so, it's not cheap. Guess every drinker will have to decide for himself whether it's a good value. Good place for people-watching during market days I guess.

There's also the Frame cafe between Friendship and Tukcom, a bit more convenient when making that trek, decent coffee, good value. I'm no coffee connoisseur, however, so I think Starbucks is acceptable and sometimes have a cuppa there when I'm at Tukcom.

The only instant coffee I'm reasonably satisfied with is the Moccona Espresso (green label), not the Trio. Used to find it at Tesco but haven't found it at any Tesco for months except packaged with 2 fancy mugs and overpriced. Found it in a little store in Vientiane for *less than half* what it sells for here, bought two large bottles should have bought six. Anybody know where it is being sold these days at a reasonable price?

After reading this thread I dropped into Benjamit today. Great coffee, great service, nice place. Rather small cup, however; no air con; so, it's not cheap. Guess every drinker will have to decide for himself whether it's a good value. Good place for people-watching during market days I guess.

I'm glad that you gave Benjamit a try.

I'm not so sure about them serving coffee in a 'small cup' though.

This is what they served me.

post-4042-0-24739000-1365033769_thumb.jp

You could be correct about their prices. They may be a tad above prices charged by other Pattaya outlets, but for superior coffee, I won't be complaining.

post-4042-0-55847500-1365033896_thumb.jp

Sheesh! The topic was half about the coffee and half about finding a bargain but has turned into a bun fight over coffee.

Handbags at dawn, anyone? coffee1.gif

If you really want to bring the crazies out, mention that Nescafe is the single biggest coffee buyer in Thailand. And that Yingluck has promoted high-quality coffee, from northern Thailand, to the European Union.

Oops! crazy.gif

• Like 1

Sheesh! The topic was half about the coffee and half about finding a bargain but has turned into a bun fight over coffee.

Handbags at dawn, anyone? coffee1.gif

If you really want to bring the crazies out, mention that Nescafe is the single biggest coffee buyer in Thailand. And that Yingluck has promoted high-quality coffee, from northern Thailand, to the European Union.

Oops! crazy.gif

Or we could mention that delicious 3 in 1 coffee on offer at Makro recently and bags of 100 came with 2 free bowls/dishes.

No need for sugar or milk. Wonderful idea.

attachicon.gifPattaya 020.jpg

You could be correct about their prices. They may be a tad above prices charged by other Pattaya outlets, but for superior coffee, I won't be complaining.

attachicon.gifPattaya 021.jpg

Do they sell whole roasted beans? If yes, what prices? Thanks.

attachicon.gifPattaya 020.jpg

attachicon.gifPattaya 021.jpg

I dunno, seems to me the standard Starbucks cup looks more like this:

starbucks+espresso.jpg

larger, at only a slightly higher price, plus the aircon if desired. I often get expresso to avoid spending the time needed to drink all of it, though the scenes viewed from the Beach Rd/Soi Yamato branch are worth extra time if I'm there.

I do like Benjamit better, however. Seems a fair price for the quality and uniqueness. No complaints, really.

Please learn to use the quote option and not quote in coloured fonts as this is against forum rules and it gets confusing about who said what, thank you.

Benjamit coffee house roasts their own beans right in the shop then will grind them with a nice burr grinder to match your coffee maker. Very fresh.

Benjamit is off Soi Bukow on the left, in a small lane, just before you reach Pattaya Tai.

I totally agree that Benjamit is one of the best, if not the best, coffee outlets in Thailand.

When in Pattaya, I take the walk from Soi 10 to Benjamit just to have my daily caffeine fix.

All you instant coffee lovers should hang your heads in shame for promoting that bottled muck as 'good coffee.' That also goes for those of you who think they are drinking good coffee in Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Coffee World etc.

Do yourselves a favour, find Benjamit and order your preferred cup of coffee there. You'll be converted.

There's also the Frame cafe between Friendship and Tukcom, a bit more convenient when making that trek, decent coffee, good value. I'm no coffee connoisseur, however, so I think Starbucks is acceptable and sometimes have a cuppa there when I'm at Tukcom.

No air con and lack of parking for cars toasts this place for me. Currently, I'm having most of my coffee and espresso based drinks at the Amazon Cafes located at the PTT gas stations on Sukie. Pleasant atmosphere, friendly staff, air-con, quality coffee, and sane prices (B 30-50)...not the insane B 70-90 at many of the well known cafes around town.

Also no shirtless fermengs wander in and stink up the place.

No air con and lack of parking for cars toasts this place for me. Currently, I'm having most of my coffee and espresso based drinks at the Amazon Cafes located at the PTT gas stations on Sukie. Pleasant atmosphere, friendly staff, air-con, quality coffee, and sane prices (B 30-50)...not the insane B 70-90 at many of the well known cafes around town.

I'm an ice coffee drinker and Amazon, like most other "Thai style" coffee selling establishments, makes the drink with this yellowish sweet milky mucous looking stuff that i personally hate. You can of course ask them to leave it out but then what you get is something very coarse and bitter. Of course coffee is meant to be bitter, but there is a pleasant bitter and an unpleasant bitter. The real sign of a decent and professional coffee establishment for me is one in which they serve it to the customer completely unsweetened, with a syrup provided for customers to add themselves according to taste. Unfortunately that limits things to the likes of the Starbucks and the McDonalds.

I'm an ice coffee drinker and Amazon, like most other "Thai style" coffee selling establishments, makes the drink with this yellowish sweet milky mucous looking stuff that i personally hate. You can of course ask them to leave it out but then what you get is something very coarse and bitter. Of course coffee is meant to be bitter, but there is a pleasant bitter and an unpleasant bitter. The real sign of a decent and professional coffee establishment for me is one in which they serve it to the customer completely unsweetened, with a syrup provided for customers to add themselves according to taste. Unfortunately that limits things to the likes of the Starbucks and the McDonalds.

You could probably request just regular milk, not the sweetened condensed milk, and add your own regular sugar or just get an Amazon hot coffee beverage and add the sugar and milk and then pour it over a glass of ice.

I just like their cost, atmosphere, and convenience.

You could probably request just regular milk, not the sweetened condensed milk, and add your own regular sugar or just get an Amazon hot coffee beverage and add the sugar and milk and then pour it over a glass of ice.

I just like their cost, atmosphere, and convenience.

I have just requested regular milk at Amazon, and as i don't like my coffee in any way sweet, i don't need to add any sugar, but as i said, the unsweetened taste is pretty coarse and bitter, a bit like that traditional Thai coffee stuff they call ancient coffee. Perhaps for those who do take their coffee sweet, it's not a problem.

I do though agree about cost, atmosphere and convenience.... just a shame about their product.

Edited by rixalex

Don't think much of any of the coffee from Nescafe because they're too acidic. "My Choice" from Tops is smoother and it's only a little more. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have a Tops nearby. I'll have to have a look.