Tilting Building Near Bangkok ' Should Be Demolished'

webfact

"Really not that hard to fix, just a matter of doing some studying on how the Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilized. I am not kidding. By ground drilling on the opposite side, they were able to even out the pressure of the subsidence."

And the cost, relative to demolishing and starting again, would be............?

Possibly true but there are differences between the two.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is an historic monument visited by tourists from all over the world and can't really be demolished.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is meant to lean, although that wasn't the original intention. The idea is to stop it leaning more.

Just as an interesting side note this is something I saw on a documentary on TV but I can't find any reference to it at the moment.

Mmany years ago the tower started to lean more which was found to be due drying out of the soil around the base. The reason for the drying out was found to be the extraction of ground water to cool an early computer. I don't know where it was but I'm sure that although it was very big and required a lot of cooling it was about the same as a Commodore 64 in power. Shows how things have changed. Does anyone else know if this is true?

Of course main frame computers take a lot if cooling with chilled water so you could be right I do remember a documentary about them coming up with solutions to repair the tower maybe that was the same Doc.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future >>>>

1. The developers will face no charges for shoddy work

2. The building department will face no charges for looking the other way

3. The building will be quietly fixed on the cheap

4. This story will gently fade away.....

in fact the solution is simple,

In the other (still straight) building,they will sell the appartments for double price !

Gravity will demolish the other building ,so thats free!

People can start gambling how long it will take for the building to fall and how long for the second one to fall aswell !

Splendid !???

they just wanted another landmark "learning tower of Bangkok"

I'm sure they'll come up with a low cost solution without the need to demolish so the building can be safely occupied within a matter of months blink.png

Yeah just call it 'the leaning building of Bangkok'.

Only problem is it ain't in Bangkok. This monstrosity is Patum Thani's embarrassment.thumbsup.gif

The future >>>>

1. The developers will face no charges for shoddy work

2. The building department will face no charges for looking the other way

3. The building will be quietly fixed on the cheap

4. This story will gently fade away.....

There will be nothing done in any way. This is typical construction work in this country. My CEO of the construction company I hired, then fired, " We will not follow any laws here in Thailand, because it is not the Thai way". Total unsafe building practices are the norm here!

How would increasing the height of the building be any approach to addressing its tilting?

I obviously missed something.

That is right you missed something. If the building and the sister building both would be heightened, they will finally support each other by leaning to each other. That is most probably the Thai approach towards a cost saving solution.

My neurons are working overtime today on tilting Thailand. If my memory serves me correctly when they built Baiyoke tower II there was an issue after a few floors that the building was out of plumb 5 degrees and they corrected it before going on up with the building. Anyone remember this? I think it was back in the early '90s.

Edited by Pimay1

"Really not that hard to fix, just a matter of doing some studying on how the Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilized. I am not kidding. By ground drilling on the opposite side, they were able to even out the pressure of the subsidence."

And the cost, relative to demolishing and starting again, would be............?

Possibly true but there are differences between the two.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is an historic monument visited by tourists from all over the world and can't really be demolished.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is meant to lean, although that wasn't the original intention. The idea is to stop it leaning more.

Just as an interesting side note this is something I saw on a documentary on TV but I can't find any reference to it at the moment.

Mmany years ago the tower started to lean more which was found to be due drying out of the soil around the base. The reason for the drying out was found to be the extraction of ground water to cool an early computer. I don't know where it was but I'm sure that although it was very big and required a lot of cooling it was about the same as a Commodore 64 in power. Shows how things have changed. Does anyone else know if this is true?

Of course main frame computers take a lot if cooling with chilled water so you could be right I do remember a documentary about them coming up with solutions to repair the tower maybe that was the same Doc.

One extraordinary thing about the leaning tower of Pisa is that although it is a bell tower there is no clock

I mean, what is the good of the inclination if you haven't got the time?

Good stuff did you read that somewhere or is it all your own.

I like it either way.

How would increasing the height of the building be any approach to addressing its tilting?

Leaning tower of Pisa, they realised it was tilting and tried to straighten it out. But hey, come on! would you want your kids sleeping in this?

Thanes Weerasiri, head of Engineering Institute of Thailand, said the building has tilted at six degrees, and should be demolished, or heightened and rebuilt. Well well. I guess the learned engineer should not wear a badge that says, " I major in erection ".

Nice foundation work..... :-)

I don't suppose they are using the same engineers that were used on this one in Shanghai.

collapsed-china-buliding-1.jpg

Not sure if it was that building , but in a photo of a giant Chinese building laying on its side, it showed the concrete foundation pilings were hollow and all snapped off. Will be curious what charges will be leveled against the Thai building department for looking the other way while this poorly designed and constructed building was being completed...Oh sorry just dreaming, time to get back to the real world !!

Yes that is the same building with the hollow pilings with no rebar to boot. Link below.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/13-story-buliding-collapse-china.shtml

Well rebar does cost money.

I have been scratching my head over that one too------ HaHa-------- Had to read it twice !!!

I have been scratching my head over that one too------ HaHa-------- Had to read it twice !!!

"Heightening of the building could cost the project owner the same amount of money needed to demolish and rebuild it."

I would also like to know how "heightening the building" can solve the problem? Perhaps they were referring to a method of straightening it out if there is any possible way.

both buildings need to be demolished as they are built to the same standard and are totaly unsafe . the building company should pay the costs of demolision and rebuild . also pay a penalty for late completion . to think the lives that could have been lost if it was full of people WOW .

You mean like this one in manila???

Thanes Weerasiri, head of Engineering Institute of Thailand, said the building has tilted at six degrees, and should be demolished, or heightened and rebuilt. Well well. I guess the learned engineer should not wear a badge that says, " I major in erection ".

That badge comes just after "I can say my own name" ... and just before the one that says "I can count to 10"

When you get both, you get a Degree.

Nice foundation work..... :-)I don't suppose they are using the same engineers that were used on this one in Shanghai. Not sure if it was that building , but in a photo of a giant Chinese building laying on its side, it showed the concrete foundation pilings were hollow and all snapped off. Will be curious what charges will be leveled against the Thai building department for looking the other way while this poorly designed and constructed building was being completed...Oh sorry just dreaming, time to get back to the real world !!

Does anybody of consequence EVER get charged with a crime in the LOS? When was the last time that happened? Is the judiciary truly as weak here as it appears? Feels like Somalia at times. No spine, no will, no real desire to arrest and try criminals who have money, or people who screw up, like this builder.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app