Tilting Building Near Bangkok ' Should Be Demolished'

webfact

30203194-01_big.JPG

Go home building... You're drunk...

I suggest the bank placed a lien on it.

How long before its partner starts to collapse?

A ministerial level engineer will soon suggest that there is no problem here. All that needs to be done is to dig down and weaken the back side foundation of the tipsy house of cards and it will level itself so people can move back in. His bank account will increase a couple of million baht and life goes on.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davothegun, how about the Australian embassy in Bangkok, they flew in Australian electricians to re wire their embassy!

How's that for a great working holiday!

Well that speaks volumes to me, when are these people going to wake up out of there slumber, they can build cars OK, the factories are planned and developed by people who know what they are doing, I thought they were good copiers, but it is about Greed, Complacency, Lazy, The Heat, what else I do not know.

I mean it is just as easy to do the job right the first time, then you do not have to come back to fix it, but I guess it is all about the bottom line.

Davothegun, how about the Australian embassy in Bangkok, they flew in Australian electricians to re wire their embassy!

Well that speaks volumes to me, when are these people going to wake up out of there slumber, they can build cars OK, the factories are planned and developed by people who know what they are doing, I thought they were good copiers, but it is about Greed, Complacency, Lazy, The Heat, what else I do not know.

I mean it is just as easy to do the job right the first time, then you do not have to come back to fix it, but I guess it is all about the bottom line.

They can build cars? You mean robots can build cars..

Finally, Lam Lukka is on the map and something to boast about apart from high speed crashes and robberies.

Would anybody ever have heard of Pisa if they had knocked down the leaning tower. I think they should build it higher, with the rest of the building leaning the opposite way, and maybe use it as a local government building.

• Like 1

To be honest I am surprised that more buildings do not do this. The issue is not how they built the building but WHERE.

There is going to be a real problem with a lot of housing and building in the Rangsit area. Land owners are in a hurry to build so they fill in a swamp or race paddy then start building.

Eventually under the weight the buildings will settle and if there is more weight on one side it will tilt.

There needs to be regulations on how much of the Klon you can develop on

Isn't this the opportunity for Thailand to become yet another hub? The hub of constr... no wait cheesy.gif No engineeri... hang on.. Um? whistling.gif

I know, hub of stating the obvious "we'll have to lift it up or knock it down"

• Like 1

So in this story they state

"Public works officials with Khu Khot Municipality in Pathum Thani, who
have jurisdiction over the site, said details about the land owner and
firm constructing the building will be announced later."

But in the story yesterday in this article http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630032-drunk-road-rage-driver-threatens-tourist-bus-driver/?hl=%2Bpattaya+%2Bvan+%2Bdriver#entry6261391 they post the victims full name, address and other personal details. Is it still April fools?

Edited by yourauntbob

Amazing! I really hope the workers have been evacuated.

It's called "Short Piling"....usually a criminal offence with the engineers and management doing time, although of course...here in Thailand, very little will happen.....builders, town engineers etc., will walk

Happens with some regularity in China, India etc.....

A massive job to repair...better just knock it down, but again.....it'll probably stay there for years.

"Happens with some regularity in China, India etc....."

... and Illford apparently.

A five storey building

which was topped out last week dramatically collapsed yesterday in Ilford, east

London.

The steel frame of the new

£6.1m City Gates Christian Centre partially came down but all 22 workers

on the site escaped unharmed.

Eye witness Mick Pandher told the Ilford Recorder: “I looked towards

the building and I thought it was a thunder storm at first.

“Seconds later, I saw the whole building going to the floor.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2012/02/01/6m-church-under-construction-collapses-in-ilford/

Amazing! I really hope the workers have been evacuated.

It's called "Short Piling"....usually a criminal offence with the engineers and management doing time, although of course...here in Thailand, very little will happen.....builders, town engineers etc., will walk

A massive job to repair...better just knock it down, but again.....it'll probably stay there for years.

"Happens with some regularity in China, India etc....."

... and Illford apparently.

A five storey building

which was topped out last week dramatically collapsed yesterday in Ilford, east

London.

The steel frame of the new

£6.1m City Gates Christian Centre partially came down but all 22 workers

on the site escaped unharmed.

Eye witness Mick Pandher told the Ilford Recorder: “I looked towards

the building and I thought it was a thunder storm at first.

“Seconds later, I saw the whole building going to the floor.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2012/02/01/6m-church-under-construction-collapses-in-ilford/

Actually, your link neither shows that "short-piling" happens with some regularity in Illford not that it has EVER happened there.

Nice try though - I can imagine the sort of feverish Googling you must have done to find the "Construction Enquirer".

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Wasn't there a big high rise hotel built on the Chao Phraya river that started tilting or am I dreaming again?

Remember that back in about 2001 or 2002.......... not sure if it was a Hotel, also cannot remember if it was tilting or just thought to be unsafe.

Anyone remember ? update what happened ?

It is called Millenium Hilton now. If I remember correctly, it was built during the crisis (1997?), declared unsafe, then taken over by Hilton and opened in 2005 after some renovation.

somebody paid money, someone else used inferior materials or putting foundations not deep enough (swapie land) cutting costs in his pockets and this is the result ...

not only in thailand, it happens a lot in china

Edited by belg

All erections in Thailand are temporary anyway.

Are there any that are permanent? .. anywhere?

Except for the Pyramids

(The above "Pyramids" phrase inserted for the moderator, in case my post is deleted, for being misunderstood as "off topic")

• Like 1

All erections in Thailand are temporary anyway.

Its actually part of their history to make buildings temporary so that they could be moved around.

The worst aspect of Thai construction is the thin walls with poor insulation against the heat, and low thermal mass -essentially Thai buildings act like infra-red ovens. Hugely wasteful in the long term for air conditioning costs.

Edited by Chopperboy
  • Like 1

The good news is, the developer can't just leave it for years this time, as we saw after 97, as the adjacent building can't be used until the tilted one has been fixed - and I assume the owner wants a return on his project.
On the other hand, I assume both buildings have been built with similar foundations, or lack thereof, so count me out as a tenant in either building :-)

both buildings need to be demolished as they are built to the same standard and are totaly unsafe . the building company should pay the costs of demolision and rebuild . also pay a penalty for late completion . to think the lives that could have been lost if it was full of people WOW .

• Like 1

"... ..here in Thailand, very little will happen.....builders, town engineers etc., will walk"

Unlike the van drivers who survive high speed crashes .. who usually run biggrin.png

Edited by TechnikaIII

both buildings need to be demolished as they are built to the same standard and are totaly unsafe . the building company should pay the costs of demolision and rebuild . also pay a penalty for late completion . to think the lives that could have been lost if it was full of people WOW .

Dear Mike, you speak as though new to life in Thailand.

The "WOW" factor fades after a while, as it did even for me, a Bhuddist and admirer of the Kingdom.

Edited by TechnikaIII

owners living by the building filed a complaint with police.

I suppose there is a special form to fill out for this.

good series of photos and a video here

I like the safety first sign displayed onsite. smile.png

I've some places with those signs where the signs seem to be the safety policy.

Easy to fix. Just tie some lines to the building and the other end to a series of boats and pull. Seems to work for everything else

Wouldn't that cause flooding if they're pointing the wrong way?

'Building had continued until recently, before the inclination became visible on Sunday night,'

So even though it was clear that the building was tilting they waited until it was visible until they did something. Is that normal?

I get your point, but that's mainly OH&S laws applying to Aust. Federal Government Buildings. The code stipulates exactly how the electrician is licensed and certified. As Thailand regulations do not correspond with Aust regulations, they're forced to import electricians to comply.

Cheers

EDIT - while there are plenty of "cowboys" I have kicked out of our house (including one who wanted to just clip off the earth wire to a water heater rather than connect it to house earth), there are some very good, very careful electricians in Bangkok. They can be hard to find though as most of them are kept busy by the very large professional projects.

There are some good electricians up here in Esaan but you have to look for them, Scarce as hair on a fish. You tell them you want third wire ground through the house and they will do it right. Even driving a two meter copper ground rod.