Charge The Fatties Extra

JoePai

We all pay the basic fare on line, when you get to check in,

'' Put your credit card in the slot sir, stand still on the scales, thank you, oh my, you have been consuming some buns sir''.

cheesy.gif

you did not finish, ........ '' Put your credit card in the slot sir, stand still on the scales, thank you, oh my, you have been consuming some buns sir''. move over to 1st class check-in...

​Sorry skinny person, no more 1st or 2 class, your to thin move over and check-in, in Economy renamed Thin class cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In this day and age just hand over a CC, job done

Sorry to be difficult but job is not done, If I am paying a lot more for a seat, then I will expect to have a bigger seat, after all I would be paying for it, same with very tall, they expect to have somewhere to put there legs... big seats in Economy some will be upset, can a couple sit next to each other ? one obese the other skinny ?

1.6 billion people are over weight !! http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/obesity.html

firstly, you will not be paying a lot more for a seat, you will be paying a lot more because of the transportation quantity in Kg, same as when sending a parcel by mail. Heavy = expensive.

second, yes, I agree that airlines should have bigger seats available. oh wait... they have them: in business class.

third, yes, it means that people that wheigh only 40 Kg can fill the rest of unused weight with luggage. I would set fares to be calculated with an average weight per passenger including hand luggage of 100Kg, plus 20 Kg checked luggage in economy.

This situation is much more rational than some I have been in, such as the checkin staff giving me the evil eye for 3 Kg extra on my hand luggage while checking in a mountain of nearly 150 Kg without batting an eyelid (I weigh 70 Kg).

then I also think that airlines can easily accomodate passengers with wide berth by modifying slightly the seats. Allow for the armrests to be taken out and voilà! there's a very wide seat, with a few extra pillows it should be quite comfortable. The airline could just sell these seats at a discount of 20% because the total allowed weight is not likely to be maxed out and there won't be two meals. Of course the buyer of two seats will be allowed 80% weight of a normal ticket.

And with this method, no problem sitting with a partner.

I think a limit on berth to fit in an economy class seat is a must these days.

At the end of the day, criticism of a practice of billing by weight or of forcing large people to buy two seats just boils down to the fact that fat or large persons don't want to pay extra for transportation.

I can't really blame them for not wanting to pay (who likes to do that?) but I certainly blame them when they sit next to me and I have to act as an armrest for the whole trip :-(

Edited by manarak

Its only partially about weight. If you think so, try shipping a big empty box, and see how you are charged. Most airplane cargo holds run out of space before the plane reaches its weight limit except when carrying Samoan passengers.

Edited by Pacificperson

Seems a lot of hate towards people with overweight, personally I only have a problem with them if they block my access or take part of my seat.

Live and let live.

I only comment on overweight people who say they cant help it and tried it all, that is when i get a bit agitated as in general there is only a real small portion that can't help themselves.. much smaller as the people claiming its not their fault.

Those people perfectly happy with it and knowing they could change if they want its all up to them.

Seems a lot of hate towards people with overweight, personally I only have a problem with them if they block my access or take part of my seat.

Live and let live.

I only comment on overweight people who say they cant help it and tried it all, that is when i get a bit agitated as in general there is only a real small portion that can't help themselves.. much smaller as the people claiming its not their fault.

Those people perfectly happy with it and knowing they could change if they want its all up to them.

No hate towards overweight people, you too agree with the problem highlighted above.

People are being absolutely screwed by that airline.

For example It would cost me at body weight of about 105kg with clothes and a 20kg suitcase $520 (15,000 baht) to fly from Apia (Samoa) to Pago Pago (American Samoa), a total distance of only 123km, not far off the distance from Pattaya to Bangkok.

Even my wife would need to pay over 7000 baht for such a trip assuming 20kg luggage.

Edited by tropo

Pay by weight = excellent idea BUT then also provide the adequate seating. Y-class on TG sucks in all categories :-((

Yep, there is Business Class, so introduce "Fat Class" seating. I don't want the comfort of my journey compromised again by being squashed up by some huge beast (usually smelly) restricting my movements. It simply isn't right. Obesity is mostly self induced, so let them pay for fat seats, but with the same size meals as others.

Maybe not such a bad idea. The airlines could rebuild two or three rows, where three seats get replaced with two one-and-half-seat. Just two oversize seats instead of three smallish ones, for which the obese passengers have an option to pay 50% surcharge. The service being voluntarily, of course. I expect many fat passengers would be happily pay a little bit more for being comfortably snug up even in the economy section. A 50% surcharge would make the seat still cheaper than a seat in the business class. Of course airlines will have to reimburse the rebuilding costs, so asking for a 55% surcharge would not impact their business sheme

Edited by crazygreg44

For example It would cost me at body weight of about 105kg with clothes and a 20kg suitcase $520 (15,000 baht) to fly from Apia (Samoa) to Pago Pago (American Samoa), a total distance of only 123km, not far off the distance from Pattaya to Bangkok.

Even my wife would need to pay over 7000 baht for such a trip assuming 20kg luggage.

Sure its not cheap but i think those small planes are just a lot more expensive to fly then the big ones (per passenger)

Some I thing have NO idea, as i said before myself always fly long haul if I can Business class, that is not easy...... I used to come here from UK, to get Business class found that often need to book 8 or 9 months in advance, leave it to a month or 2 before then you are searching for options, airlines and dates... Flying Business Class was NOT for others but for the long flight comfort of myself... Remember well December 2002, the only date I could fly here was on Christmas day, I wanted to come around the 5th of December !!!

One year there was some error, I was booked 8 months before on a flight but at check-in it was full, last minute I was upgraded with no extra cost to 1st class, thanks B.A.

Maybe to keep everyone happy re-brand, so a Jumbo Aircraft is just that, for Jumbo passengers.. ? it would appear that 60 - 90 % of some Countries population are oversized or Obese.. ?

Maybe would save Airline money, they could buy smaller planes = cheaper air craft and running cost for all the skinny passengers....

Some have pointed out extra weight in the aircraft = extra cost...... I do look but have never been with them.. Air Asia, if everyone booked 3 months or before they pay a fraction of the price of someone booking a day before... are they running at a loss ?

Anything from 3,000 baht to 9,000 odd baht

Myself always fly to KL with Royal Jordanian, price is the same months before or last moment, 6,500 baht = good aircraft, nice big seats, staff and food..

Same going to Australia, book 2 weeks before A.A with all the add ons is the same price as Thai all in price...

Some I thing have NO idea, as i said before myself always fly long haul if I can Business class, that is not easy...... I used to come here from UK, to get Business class found that often need to book 8 or 9 months in advance, leave it to a month or 2 before then you are searching for options, airlines and dates... Flying Business Class was NOT for others but for the long flight comfort of myself... Remember well December 2002, the only date I could fly here was on Christmas day, I wanted to come around the 5th of December !!!

One year there was some error, I was booked 8 months before on a flight but at check-in it was full, last minute I was upgraded with no extra cost to 1st class, thanks B.A.

Maybe to keep everyone happy re-brand, so a Jumbo Aircraft is just that, for Jumbo passengers.. ? it would appear that 60 - 90 % of some Countries population are oversized or Obese.. ?

Maybe would save Airline money, they could buy smaller planes = cheaper air craft and running cost for all the skinny passengers....

Some have pointed out extra weight in the aircraft = extra cost...... I do look but have never been with them.. Air Asia, if everyone booked 3 months or before they pay a fraction of the price of someone booking a day before... are they running at a loss ?

Anything from 3,000 baht to 9,000 odd baht

Myself always fly to KL with Royal Jordanian, price is the same months before or last moment, 6,500 baht = good aircraft, nice big seats, staff and food..

Same going to Australia, book 2 weeks before A.A with all the add ons is the same price as Thai all in price...

business class is available on many middle eastern airlines even one month in advance, no problem. use kayak.com to look for seats and quotes.

bigger airplanes have a lower cost per seat than smaller aircraft.

The cheapest long range wide hull craft must be the airbus A330, the range is at the limit for London-Bangkok, so it might not be able to take the full seating capacity of passengers or have to make a stopover to refuel (costly!).

then about pricing. yes, the early bookers get a discount as airlines try to fill the cabin with cheap charlies until (hopefully) reaching break-even and then make a profit on the remaining seats which then get sold at higher prices. there are complicated computer calculations behind this, based on poisson distribution and seasonal considerations.

I have no idea how to work something like that out, is well beyond me....

I was thinking more on the lines of a A380 hold around 500 passenger and cost 337 Million US $

the A330 hold around 300 passengers and cost 230 million US $

The 787 if it can fly cost over 200 million US $ and hold less then 250 passengers

Sure its not cheap but i think those small planes are just a lot more expensive to fly then the big ones (per passenger)

In the Philippines I get flights on small planes at about the same price as flights on big planes.... for flights from between 30 - 60 minutes.

If 123km flights in Thailand were costing between 7,000 and 20,000 baht the buses would be very busy. It's a total ripoff whichever way you look at it. It must be a monopoly.

123 km would be up and straight down again. A hop.

Edited by tropo

I was thinking more on the lines of a A380 hold around 500 passenger and cost 337 Million US $

The 787 if it can fly cost over 200 million US $ and hold less then 250 passengers

The A330-300 can be had for approx. 160 million USD and can seat 440 passengers, fuel economy is in average 0.110 Km per liter.

The A380-800 can seat 853 passengers and can be had for 320 million USD, fuel economy is between 0.05 and 0.06 Km per liter.

Both are very big long haul aircraft.

Edited by manarak

It's hard to believe this forum has now reached 135 posts.

weight = fuel = cost

If airlines continue to bleed at their present rate, then body weight + luggage weight = ticket price is coming our way. Like it or not. And with Samoa Air starting the ball rolling, the clock is now ticking.

It's hard to believe this forum has now reached 135 posts. weight = fuel = cost If airlines continue to bleed at their present rate, then body weight + luggage weight = ticket price is coming our way. Like it or not. And with Samoa Air starting the ball rolling, the clock is now ticking.

I doubt very much an insignificant airline such as Samoa Air will set any ball in motion.

At the end of the day it's competition that sets the prices. That fact will not change. It's hard enough for airlines to make money without having to price themselves out of existence by adopting stupid ideas.

I imagine all the skinny people are getting excited about this.

Edited by tropo

What if you're just 'stout' of stature by nature???

If they're going to start picking on people who make travel unpleasant then they should start with the garlic breathed, then the snorers, then them with unruly brats, then fidgiters and then people with glasses who need to clean the bloody things every 20 minutes - elbows everywhere...

I don't think this is about people who make travel unpleasant, but about those who are massively overweight paying the same fare as a 10 year old child. IMHO, this is not a bad way to set fares. Plus, might help that 200Kg traveler shed a bit???? Which would be a great thing.

As the article stated, Samoa has some of the largest people on the planet. This policy makes sense. Again, IMHO.

wai2.gif

You are absolutely wrong in stating that this policy makes sense.

It is just a move from the airline guys to let you pay more.

Mind, next step the average weight will become a standard weight of 75 kilo, and the standard height 175 cm

Anybody heavier or taller will pay more.

Quite simple, this is another move of those money grabbers to steal more from travellers.

And no, this is not a good move.

Do remember, if this succeeds, the chairs will become even smaller.

It makes quite good sense to the airline though and why not, I've heard of other small domestic airlines weighing passengers with luggage at check in, more to do with calculating the fuel etc because of small runways on islands and so on and not actually charging extra but really in this case it would make good business to do so imo?

On a larger scale, no it would cause to many issues. You can have a standard on luggage allowance but people, surely not?

I can imagine booking flights, good god Maud, your fat arse has just cost another £80 supplement again! And whoever mentioned the fat ass check points at the airport clap2.gif

Edited by enyaw

The A330-300 can be had for approx. 160 million USD and can seat 440 passengers, fuel economy is in average 0.110 Km per liter.

The A380-800 can seat 853 passengers and can be had for 320 million USD, fuel economy is between 0.05 and 0.06 Km per liter.

Was a rough passenger configured on the 3 class layout..... as for both being big aircraft's yes Long haul...... I am sure both skinny and jumbos size passengers are not to bothered on flights of 1 hr or less...

Many Countries have 2 flights or more per day, so why not have 1x flight for skinny and another flight for bigger passengers, after all they will be paying more and would expect a bigger seat

So 400 passengers on flight 1 and 300 on flight 2, sure someone can work out the extra per seat so that both aircraft run at the same price...

Most posters here believe that Large passengers should pay extra, no matter how much extra the Jumbo passenger pays the person next will complain if it is the same size seat........

Should the Jumbo passenger pay less, they have a very uncomfortable seat that is far to small..

as for the ones that say pay on weight as per parcels, fine but they do not get a hammer and make the package smaller just so it will fit... the parcel is put into place that it will fit.. so why should a passenger be forced into a seat that is to small !! + pay extra for the 8, 10 12 or more hours of Torture

aircraft maybe need another class ?

Was a rough passenger configured on the 3 class layout..... as for both being big aircraft's yes Long haul...... I am sure both skinny and jumbos size passengers are not to bothered on flights of 1 hr or less...

Many Countries have 2 flights or more per day, so why not have 1x flight for skinny and another flight for bigger passengers, after all they will be paying more and would expect a bigger seat

So 400 passengers on flight 1 and 300 on flight 2, sure someone can work out the extra per seat so that both aircraft run at the same price...

Most posters here believe that Large passengers should pay extra, no matter how much extra the Jumbo passenger pays the person next will complain if it is the same size seat........

Should the Jumbo passenger pay less, they have a very uncomfortable seat that is far to small..

as for the ones that say pay on weight as per parcels, fine but they do not get a hammer and make the package smaller just so it will fit... the parcel is put into place that it will fit.. so why should a passenger be forced into a seat that is to small !! + pay extra for the 8, 10 12 or more hours of Torture

Of course.. for me its not the weight but the fact that they take part of my seat. So if they pay more give them a better seat too.. They are paying for it.

With reference to the quote

"fine but they do not get a hammer and make the package smaller just so it will fit..."

that is true and if your parcel is over a certain size they will not accept it because the sevice is not geared up for excessively large parcels.

The seat is not too small, the passenger is too large .

Normally a person being extra large is their business but on planes thier size affects other people, that is the problem.

The seat size is designed for the majority, not for exceptionally large people so adapt if you dont fit in 1 seat buy 2

Tools are designed for right handed people, because they are the majority, left handed people have to adapt, not demand all tools are left handed. What's next bar stools shortened because they are to high for short people? all literature in brail because some people are blind, Standard door heights raised because some people are exceptionally tall.

Another class would be a very good option if there is enough demand and it is viable economically otherwise it will never happen.

The problem is on plane and seat options..

Myself most short haul I do not do, but take a train or a VIP bus much more comfortable and relaxing...

What's next bar stools shortened because they are to high for short people? no idea never been in a Bar, do you have to pay to sit on a bar stool ?

it is funny in my house if a Thai or short person comes to visit, the settees I had made and are much hight off the floor, so these little shot people cannot put there feet on the floor. biggrin.png and being a handyman made the kitchen myself, 7 meters x 4 meters, all wall units I made and are on the wall. top is at 2meter 10cm the base units I made myself the are all 1 meter high and 1 meter deep, cant help but giggle with these short people try to reach anything..

​Myself am one of the smaller members of my family both in UK and in Canada.. one of my Aunties is 7' 4" most others are taller than me, a number of the males Uncles and Cousins have size 15 to 17 feet., so I have tiny feet at only 13's

So to me it is the plane or rather the airline that orders the plane and the configuration of the seats.. You can get the A380 with normal 530 seats, some have ordered with over 800 seats, even have options of 1000 seats !!

​Google is very helpful showing aircraft type and seat sizes........ sadly some of the more roomy airline appear to discontinue the UK -Thailand route. another one gone, I have used just this past week. sad.png use to love 'Garuda' UK to BKK, that stopped 10 years ago ! 'Lauda air' was great also stopped years ago. now Scandinavian

Looking at airline seat planes, 400 passengers, of these there are around 30 business class.....many no longer have 1st class... many reports of nations average 70% of the population being overweight or Obese......... somehow that does not reflect of aircraft seating plan's..

How about all those Indians at Subvarnabhumi who bring two TV sets each of them ??

All I know is I feel bad for people who think electronics are cheap in Thailand. I mean, I am sure they are cheap, for them, and I feel bad, very bad - that would just suck.