Thai Bread

homeownership

I thought Thai bread was rice, no?

Where are the Thai bakeries?

I like a good extra-sourdough.

BreadNStuff is a great bakery, but you have to go to Nan province to get some.

Non factory produced Thai bread uses condensed milk in its mix, this is what gives it a sweet taste and soft shiny exterior, you can't really call it a crust.

Okay, I know what you're talking about, it's okay, but not what I'd call good as far as bread goes.

Ahh sorry about the misunderstanding, non factory produced Thai bread uses condensed milk to give it a sweet taste and a soft shiny exterior and quite a distinctive unpleasant sweet cream taste.

BreadNstuff bread is a low sugar, low salt, slow leavened handmade western bread with a crisp crust with a great crumb. I personally like the nutty loaf which is made honey, sunflower seed kernels and crushed peanuts, but you still have to come to Nan to get some.

I think the original question and post was what do you put on it or in it ?

For me, fresh chilled sliced tomatoes, cucumber and onions and a lashing of mayonaise...........mmmmmm

Just love a sandwich!

OR toasted bread sandwich with tomatoes and cheese!......yummmmmm

And the old favorite, cheddar cheese and Branston pickle !

Edited by CharlieH

The only decent bread sold here that I have ever seen is at Villa market, wholemeal at 55 baht, the rest is crap.

Which brand? I recently got burned buying some bread at Villa thinking it was real bread and turned out to be cake.

In many areas the only source of decent bread is hotel bakeries.

The one near me sells at 50% off from 7pm on, which actually makes it reasonable.

And before those who know my situation jump on me, I haven't bought any even at the discount for over a year now. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

We had a thread in the health section not long ago that warned against eating bread made from wheat, it isn't healthy, and not only for those with a gluten intolerance. Good bread is made from rye, and the best varieties haves lots of whole corns in them. Or mixes of rye and barley. These breads are so rich in taste and texture, they're good stand-alone meals. With a beer perhaps.

Problem is I think all of you posters don't have a clue about bread making. There's no such thing as Thai bread. They are all based on multi-purpose sweet dough, thing that used to make sticky buns or cinnamon buns in the west. That how Thai understand bread and eat them as snack or dessert not as a meal in the west, no surprise they are all sweet!

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

Problem is I think all of you posters don't have a clue about bread making. There's no such thing as Thai bread. They are all based on multi-purpose sweet dough, thing that used to make sticky buns or cinnamon buns in the west. That how Thai understand bread and eat them as snack or dessert not as a meal in the west, no surprise they are all sweet!

Think again, Thai bread suits the Thai market. There are very good producers of western bread in Thailand if you bother to look further than your local Big C or Tesco. Just because Thai people have a different understanding of bread compared to yours it does not mean there is no Thai bread, it's just different. So what if it's eaten as a sweet snack or desert, do you also tell Thai people how to drink their coffee? How about making sure they all eat rice using a knife and fork

In many areas the only source of decent bread is hotel bakeries.

The one near me sells at 50% off from 7pm on, which actually makes it reasonable.

And before those who know my situation jump on me, I haven't bought any even at the discount for over a year now. rolleyes.gif

Good on you for supporting your local bakeries.

• 1 month later...

Here's a late-breaking development in bread for Bangkok. A couple of guys calling themselves "Urban Pantry" now sell bread locally at the farmer's market on Suk 26 and will deliver. They are on Facebook or you can email them at <email address removed>

I had one of their loaves for the first time on Saturday. Truly delicious artisanal bread of the highest quality. Much better than the bread I have been able to find so far at hotels like Four Seasons, which is passable bread. Apart from the farmer's market they take orders weekly and will deliver in the foreigner areas. If you send them an email they will put you on the weekly list for current offerings.

It is expensive, however.

I am delighted at being able to get delicious bread at last in Bangkok. Make life more bearable. Best of luck to these two for identifying a need.

Edited by metisdead
13) Not to post email addresses in posts due to potential spam problems.
  • Like 1

Do you mean the bread you buy in 7-11 or Big C or Lotus? If so, it lasts much longer than the bread I bought back in Scotland. The bread in Thailand can last for over a week without being in the Fridge, while in Scotland it may only last about 3 days. I noticed this when I first came to Thailand. As for the taste, there is not a lot of difference.

My wife manages a large shipping/export company but loves to cook in her spare time and most nights. She makes the best cakes(orange, banana, tea etc etc) and bread I have ever eaten and the locals cant get enough of it. She makes a a green tea bread(using yeast too) loaded with whole grains for me that I freeze and it lasts for weeks and is fresh as anything when defrosted, makes great toast too. I actually brought creamed honey from my neighbours farm in Australia(all natural) over and it is just brilliant on the bread with butter. Most thai bread is loaded with sugar, my wife doesnt cook anything sweet, she uses natural ingrediants where ever possible, she also does rolls/buns with raisins, pork, tuna etc so there is a range of flavours but I like the green tea bread, Nice Bakery, what more can I saybiggrin.png

"If it were bread the yeast would have consumed all of the sugar and it would not taste as sweet as it does."

80% of factory-made bread in the UK is made by the Chorleywood process. It doesn't depend upon yeast to produce the bubbles, but beats the dough at high speed to aerate it. This cuts down on processing time dramatically (the beating typically takes only 3 minutes) and allows the manufacturer to use cheaper, lower quality (lower protein) flour, so make more profit. I strongly suspect that all the major bread manufacturers here use the Chorleywood process, so what yeast there is in the bread has no time to consume the sugar. And given that the bread is typically around 10% sugar, it would take yeast a long time to chomp its way through that much sweetness.

This sounds like straight dough method. It saves time ie labour cost and is prevalent in western countries. On the other hand, bread here is done using the sponge and dough method, giving more time for the yeast to work. Which is also why bread are softer in Thailand.

10% of sugar by weight is too much. I seriously doubt so. Btw have you all look at Farmhouse bread. It doesn't seems to mould that fast.

My wife uses yeast in hers and lets it rise for ages with a cloth over it, she makes heaps at a time and the house smells great while it rises then she breaks it down into the portions she wants, shapes them and lets them rise a gain befor putting them in the oven, my mouth just waters the whole timebiggrin.png

Thai bread is nothing like bread

Banana sandwiches were a Sunday tea time favourite in if my families in the 70's when I was a kid.

Nothing new about a banana sandwich.

This poster is really getting non my nerves with all his 'inventions'

wait till he tells you all about his millions he has

Think again, Thai bread suits the Thai market. There are very good producers of western bread in Thailand if you bother to look further than your local Big C or Tesco. Just because Thai people have a different understanding of bread compared to yours it does not mean there is no Thai bread, it's just different. So what if it's eaten as a sweet snack or desert, do you also tell Thai people how to drink their coffee? How about making sure they all eat rice using a knife and fork

I have already trained most Thais to eat a chicken drumstick with a spoon and fork. Finger-lickin' good does not apply here. Edited by bunta71