Drivers Licence Renewal / 5 Years Up

THAIPHUKET

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of info here, if the search function is used.

Well, I have heard that things change in Thailand, you not? E.g. confirmation of residency by Immigration is required, You may not have heard that our friendly. overworked Immigration stopped issuing such certificates. I fully understand given the onslaught of visitors. Any more helpful suggestions? Any concrete answers to

is my birth date critical for the renewal, yes or no?

must the renewal be done before that date or after?

How much time tolerance? zero, one week before or after or what?

Anything of substance to add what can be done ?

Do it after expiry, residence cert can be got at your consulate, 9am and 11am at the test centre (hang Dong Rd) ring a bell as they do the reaction tests by group, but get there well before 9. Takes couple hours (including reactionary tests, video & multiple guess questionnaire). I recall doing mine (last year) several months after expiry.

Edited by jackr

You need:

1. residency cert (500b from imm)

2. copy of passport (can do it there)

3. medical cert (if ur doing it at hung dong, there is a hospital about 1-2km from there on hung dong road (sorry, forgot the name - and if ur doing it up near gymkhana, there is a hospital about 100m from the transport office)

4. if your provisional licence is expired, you have to take the reaction test again only (which is about 10 seconds of your time)

5. Also I think you might not be able to get it on a tourist visa. work visa or ed visa and so on only.

6. can't reemmeber how much - under 400b tho.

I don't know what time of day is good, but if you have the above (esp #1, #3, #5), the whole thing took me about 10 minutes when I went in around 2pm.

Will be quite a bit different and longer if you have to do the actual driving and computer tests - but I think for that you only get a provisional 1year license - then after that year you can get the 5year (but not on tourist visa)

I got my 5 years Thai driving licence. This is the list of documents that I used to renew.

1-Copy of my passport;

2-Yellow book as a proof of residency. You can get this at your Amphur.

3-Medical certificate (50-100 bahts). You can get this at a clinic.

I also provided them my old driver licence.They asked me to do a reaction test. I paid around 500 bahts for the new licence. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes max.

I think you need to be on a Non-Immigrant visa or an extension of stay to be eligible for a Thai driver licence. This is from my personal experience and the information I got from my embassy.

I saw many posts that are suggesting that isn't possible to obtain a Thai driving licence on a tourist visa. Maybe a more advanced member can confirm this information.

I think you need to be on a Non-Immigrant visa or an extension of stay to be eligible for a Thai driver licence. This is from my personal experience and the information I got from my embassy.

I saw many posts that are suggesting that isn't possible to obtain a Thai driving licence on a tourist visa. Maybe a more advanced member can confirm this information.

Should be OK with even a tourist visa. But you must have the Residency slip from Immigration. Armed with that then transport department will accept.