Alcohol Laws To Be Strictly Enforced During Songkran

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not 'strictly enforce' laws against the stupid people that throw water on motorbikes causing them to crash???

Why not limit the Songkran holiday to the three days that it's meant to be celebrated on?mad.gif

Duh.

I guess it varies based on where you live, I have friends in Chaing Mai that say it's a 1-2 week event, BKK 2-3 days, down here in Phuket water is only thrown on 1 day.

Sorry but your friends know nothing in Chiang mai it follows the set days usually about 3 or 4 days, from 10am until 6pm except for the idiot farages who screw up all of the time

Why not 'strictly enforce' laws against the stupid people that throw water on motorbikes causing them to crash???

Why not limit the Songkran holiday to the three days that it's meant to be celebrated on?mad.gif

Duh.

I guess it varies based on where you live, I have friends in Chaing Mai that say it's a 1-2 week event, BKK 2-3 days, down here in Phuket water is only thrown on 1 day.

Sorry but your friends know nothing in Chiang mai it follows the set days usually about 3 or 4 days, from 10am until 6pm except for the idiot farages who screw up all of the time

In Pattaya a lot of the late night water throwing is done by idiot Thais.

I still remember getting hit with a bucket of ice water (Thai throwers) about about 10:30 pm on a side street well away from bars and 3 days before the main event. It upset me because I was trying to get some safe shopping done at Foodland and took the back way home to avoid the water throwing. Not being very clear of thought at the time, I stopped my bike, got off and dunked the head of this guy in his own tank of ice water. He wasn't happy and started throwing punches. They can give it, but they can't take it.

Edited by tropo

I really hope next years road conversion to 'right side driving' will coincide with Songkran. That will be special to watch.

Actually, after much public argument and debate the dickheads-that-be decided on a compromise. Middle of the road driving.

• Like 1

'Violatos will be prosecuted to the full extent of law' clap2.gif

Who are 'the violators'? The people buying or selling the alcohol?

And the Police will enforcing this whilst stopping Somchai and family chucking water out the back of their pick up! cheesy.gif YEAH RIGHT

Duh.

FARAGES??? Is that a new kind of veg they have up there?

"According to the laws, the sale of alcoholic beverages during restricted hours and to intoxicated person as well as to minor under 20 years of age is prohibited. Violatos will be prosecuted to the full extent of law."

Whatever a Violato is... a kind of musical instrument?

Seriously though, nothing much is going to change. The police, at least in Krung Thep, do have breathalysers, and although I know about a year ago they were using them, I have not really seen any check points in the City of Angels since. That may be because they are now enforcing the law elsewhere of course....

The restricted sales hours are a waste of effort - they just make it impossible to have a beer with lunch if you happen to go out a little late, but that's about all. The midnight to 11am restriction may help somewhat, but in reality any dedicated alcoholic would have his supplies at home anyway, so it would only slow down those who might buy on impulse.

If they want to reduce the road toll, then for goodness sake get out there and actually police the roads and police the driving - enforce the ROAD RULES - driving the wrong way down the highway with cars driving by at 100Km/h, driving with no lights, exceeding the speed limits, driving dangerously... plenty of work to do, but instead a great many sit in the little traffic light control booths (totally unnecessary) and play with the lights, to the total detriment of the travelling public, and with no effect whatsoever on the cretins who break the rules and hurt others.

Mind you - if you thought driving in Thailand was bad - try the Philippines...!

"According to the laws, the sale of alcoholic beverages during restricted hours and to intoxicated person as well as to minor under 20 years of age is prohibited. Violatos will be prosecuted to the full extent of law."

Whatever a Violato is... a kind of musical instrument?

Seriously though, nothing much is going to change. The police, at least in Krung Thep, do have breathalysers, and although I know about a year ago they were using them, I have not really seen any check points in the City of Angels since. That may be because they are now enforcing the law elsewhere of course....

The restricted sales hours are a waste of effort - they just make it impossible to have a beer with lunch if you happen to go out a little late, but that's about all. The midnight to 11am restriction may help somewhat, but in reality any dedicated alcoholic would have his supplies at home anyway, so it would only slow down those who might buy on impulse.

If they want to reduce the road toll, then for goodness sake get out there and actually police the roads and police the driving - enforce the ROAD RULES - driving the wrong way down the highway with cars driving by at 100Km/h, driving with no lights, exceeding the speed limits, driving dangerously... plenty of work to do, but instead a great many sit in the little traffic light control booths (totally unnecessary) and play with the lights, to the total detriment of the travelling public, and with no effect whatsoever on the cretins who break the rules and hurt others.

Mind you - if you thought driving in Thailand was bad - try the Philippines...!

So right about those bloody Police boxes at intersections. What do they actually do other than read the paper or watch the TV in there? Oh yeah, occasionally they may play with the traffic lights, there phones, call the 'kik' .....

Great.

All the police will be busy controlling alcool sales. Finally no police on the roads...love it....

Now, without any fear of getting fined, I can safely go through a red light, I can pass crossing solid lines, I can ignore stop signs, I can double park anywhere, I can go any speed I want....

Always wanted to feel free.

Here's what's gonna happen: the Thai (and farang alike) will stock up a few days in advance.

WHY? You can buy it daily between 11-2 and 5-12. Why do so many think there's going to be a total sales ban? Can't they read?

As usual at Songkran, the BIB will be standing by, watching the teenage girls, dripping wet (as will most men) and ignoring just about everything else. I remember seeing a video last year after Songkran of teenage boys (Thai obviously) around 6 or 7 of them, openly brawling in front of watching coppers. All the boys were wasted and all around 16-18, the 'LAW' did nothing!

Control alcohol sales, stop people throwing water from pick ups, my A*SE!

I don't drink anymore, only on special occasions like somebodies birthday or whatever, but it would not be hard to stock up on drinks now and then just get drunk before you go out.. Even after you have gone out, it wouldn't be hard to find a place selling it, I guess it depends where you live. Where I do there is a 7/11 that sells alcohol all day every day and has done for the last 3 years. Family marts don't give a rats ass and they are called, 'Family Mart' hehehe. There are going to be some restaurants and bars serving without a doubt, this is just another way for the government to try and look good and them in fact being totally unrealistic.

"I don't drink anymore"..."only on special occasions...or whatever". That's exactly the same as those that do drink, i.e. whenever they want to!

Sale of alcohol hasn't been banned, you know. Of course some bars and restaurants will be selling it, they all will be.

Duh.

Wow sounds great. That includes Patong right?

I don't drink anymore, only on special occasions like somebodies birthday or whatever, but it would not be hard to stock up on drinks now and then just get drunk before you go out.. Even after you have gone out, it wouldn't be hard to find a place selling it, I guess it depends where you live. Where I do there is a 7/11 that sells alcohol all day every day and has done for the last 3 years. Family marts don't give a rats ass and they are called, 'Family Mart' hehehe. There are going to be some restaurants and bars serving without a doubt, this is just another way for the government to try and look good and them in fact being totally unrealistic.

Me too. I only drink on special occasions.

Every day is special! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

So the Police corruption will be stepped aside !!??

This will be tackled with as much vim, vigour and success as the " war " on drugs and corruption, and the ever popular, and equally useless, road safety campaigns. The BIB will make extra money by " fining ' anyone breaching the ban. What's the bet that after Songkran the government will announce it was a success ?

A lot of the Mah-&-Pah shops on the back soi's sell booze 24-7. You can always find one if your desperate enough; they're the same shops where most of the police drink.

Does the Royal Thai Police know how to "strictly enforce a law"? As they haven't tried yet it surely is going to be a first time experience for them.

Or it simply means that "tea money will be strictly enforced" to look the other way.

With such a generic bashing of police and not a grain of solid information I fail to see any point in your post. Your assertion that Thai Police do not try to enforce any laws is almost ravingly absurd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So motor accident deaths will be well down this year compared to previous years.

Riiiight.

I guess we will know how successful this was after the event.

Day 2 of Songkran and road deaths higher than last year.

Yep, looks like the police are doing a good job.