Water Storage Tanks?

Rob5060

I am sure a very silly question but I am not sure .

Are the big silver water storage tanks people use just for storing water or does it enhance water pressure in the house

Cheers

Those tanks are for storage only unless you add a water pump or put the tank on top of a tower. I lived in a small village and at certain times of the day there was VERY little pressure. I put in a 1,500 liter tank with a float valve. When the village water pressure was good the tank would fill. I then used the water pump for good pressure all the time.

Something occurred to me....when I lived in a village up north water cuts were a frequent fact of life, when the water came on again it came out extremely dirty until the pipes cleared. Storing water is a good idea but surely the tank would refill with dirty water when it came on again, no? That would mean ditching a whole tank of water, not good.

Something occurred to me....when I lived in a village up north water cuts were a frequent fact of life, when the water came on again it came out extremely dirty until the pipes cleared. Storing water is a good idea but surely the tank would refill with dirty water when it came on again, no? That would mean ditching a whole tank of water, not good.

That could be a problem but in the village where I lived I think the supply pipes were simply too small and when everyone was using their water there simply wasn't enough to go around. The water being dirty was never a problem.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. As it happens, we have an outside tap between the water meter and the tank so we could turn that on to check that the water was clear - assuming that we knew there had had been a cut in the supply.

You would have to use the stored water regularly, or it would be a bit rank when you did need it!

My thought was to put a tap in the pipe near the tank, after a cut just run the tap until it clears. It didn't used to take long to clear it up north anyway, as you say, assuming you knew there had been a cut in the first place.

I have a filter in the input to my tank to ensure clean water in the tank.

Good enough for washing etc.

Then a drinking water filter outside the kitchen for refilling the bottles for the water cooler.

Running costs, maybe 1000 baht a year.

Better to be safe than sorry.

You normally tap out of the tank a distance from the bottom and have a drain at the lowest level. When dirty water enters it sinks to the bottom of the tank and you remove when required (yearly) by opening the bottom drain. You can turn off the input and do this with 1/4 tank remaining if you do not want to use a full tank of water. Use a pipe or something to mix the dirt bank into the water when you drain.

That could be a problem but in the village where I lived I think the supply pipes were simply too small and when everyone was using their water there simply wasn't enough to go around. The water being dirty was never a problem.

I have 14 storage tanks at 2,000 litres each but there are 15 people including 5 small children living here. The tanks have an output tap maybe 12 inches from the bottom and 8 of them are li nked together for both input and output.

When I get government water (none for nearly 3 weeks now) it comes froma 4 inch blue PVC pipe and fed into the tanks. The output of the tanks is then fed through a carbon filter to get rid of as much crap as possible and we only use it for washing, showers etc and general use and it is pump fed.

When there is no water supply like now we have a petrol driven water pump that runs under the road and onto the property about 150 metres to an electric pump which pushes it another 75 metres to the tanks.

It is not the best water but the alternative costs 100 baht per 1,000 litres and comes from the same place.

At least we can get water until the stream dries up and then as the say in the politest of circles, we're buggered.

:o

I have 14 storage tanks at 2,000 litres each but there are 15 people including 5 small children living here. The tanks have an output tap maybe 12 inches from the bottom and 8 of them are li nked together for both input and output.

When I get government water (none for nearly 3 weeks now) it comes froma 4 inch blue PVC pipe and fed into the tanks. The output of the tanks is then fed through a dirt filter which I clean every week and then into a big 50 litre carbon filter to get rid of as much crap as possible and we only use it for washing, showers etc and general use and it is pump fed.

When there is no water supply like now we have a petrol driven water pump that runs under the road and onto the property about 150 metres to an electric pump which pushes it another 75 metres to the tanks.

It is not the best water but the alternative costs 100 baht per 1,000 litres and comes from the same place.

At least we can get water until the stream dries up and then as the say in the politest of circles, we're buggered.

:D