It's Our Duty To Get Rid Of Bad Politicians: Thai Editorial

webfact

If voters got rid of "corrupt and inferior representatives" then the Parliament House would be an empty rattling shell.

At least they wouldn't then have to spend more hundreds of millions of baht on a NEW parliament building as supposedly the new one is to small..... Go figure.

Parliament ALREADY takes up over 20% of the 2013 Budget...........

post-62652-0-99434600-1365051568_thumb.p

While environment (waste disposal, water treatment, dams etc) has 0.01 %

Edited by thaicbr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The norm in Thailand is that the poor sods vote for the politicians that pay them the most. That is the civil duty in Thailand

The Democrats pay too. People take their money and voted for Mr T.

It's clear that the Thaksin side has a majority and his double standard message resonates with the poor majority.

I don't think he would buy a landslide though.

So the Rice pledging. The free tablets. The discount Cars. The discount houses.. They were not buying votes?

• Like 1

Thais in general don't believe there are consequences for their actions. That goes for the farmer, taxi driver, and the politician. So in their mind, everything they are doing is fine. No harm, no foul.

The norm in Thailand is that the poor sods vote for the politicians that pay them the most. That is the civil duty in Thailand

It's clear that the Thaksin side has a majority and his double standard message resonates with the poor majority.

So the Rice pledging. The free tablets. The discount Cars. The discount houses.. They were not buying votes?

it is their duty to serve the people.
  • Like 1

Thai people do not vote for honest politicians, they vote for the guy who gives them money. Politicians do not get involved to help change the country for the better...they do it because they are corrupt and want to become..."unusually wealthy". No politician on any level cares about the people in Thailand: the poor, the lower classes.....they are expendable. It is utterly disgusting!

• Like 1

They could start by disallowing anyone with a previous conviction from being a politician. Then secondary to that, anyone subject to criminal investigations. Thirdly, anyone with unexplained wealth... etc but all this is wishful thinking to be sure and nothing will change. And of course, remove the impunity for politicians against prosecution. This is a lip-service article from the spin doctors.

Politicians will not pass laws which have a negative effect on them. They will pass laws where money is put into the countries coffers as they all have plenty of money themselves. Over the years, many politicians in the UK have been caught driving while being over the limit. There has never been any talk from any politician to my knowledge about banning drunk drivers for life, It's easy to see why.

Thai people do not vote for honest politicians, they vote for the guy who gives them money. Politicians do not get involved to help change the country for the better...they do it because they are corrupt and want to become..."unusually wealthy". No politician on any level cares about the people in Thailand: the poor, the lower classes.....they are expendable. It is utterly disgusting!

Yes, but it's the same in any country.

Note to voters: those bad politicians will get rid of you before you can get rid of them.

Watch out for politicians who prefer a senate with appointed members vs. a senate with 100% elected members.

elected by whom?????????????

• Like 1

By that definition every election in every country involves vote buying. ("Vote for me, I'll lower taxes!" Or, "Vote for me, I'll increase minimum wage and provide free healthcare!")

And that is true... BUT many other countries that offer the incentives actually don't do it to simply to cream off the top (allegedly)

and it tends to be for ALL rather than a select voting base as happens here in Thailand.

Step #1 - get rid of the party list system.

Absolutely.

And have run off elections for the top two vote getters in any and all races.

Damn the expense, this would allow all the voters to make a clearly observed choice,

between the two most popular choices from the huge mass of open election choices,

that water down the will of the people massively.

How ever if the top vote getter has a majority there would be no need for another vote.

If they get just over 50% of the votes.

Yes That would make them the majority

The problem with vote buying like that is they use are money to do it.

The Dems not being at the trough have to spend there own money.

I heard a rumor that they were now going to pay the car tsxrebates back over a five year period.

Rumor only will wait a month to see what the truth really is.

Edited by hellodolly

Note to voters: those bad politicians will get rid of you before you can get rid of them.

Watch out for politicians who prefer a senate with appointed members vs. a senate with 100% elected members.
elected by whom?????????????
elected by the people.

Step #1 - get rid of the party list system.

there is nothing wrong with the party list system.

I think you are Thaskin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_List_system

Loads of countries use it. I doubt it is the root cause of Thailand's troubled politics.

Just because many people (countries) are doing it, doesnt make it smart.

The problem is that it is impossible to obtain these jobs without being a lying crook. Not just in Thailand, but in most countries honest people have trouble getting into office let alone getting anything done. Thats why any county that is serious on corruption should

1) induce term limits

2) politicians need live by the rules they set for others

3) personal finances should be under constant scrutiny

I have met many struggling business people but have yet to meet a poor politician.

The US and other western countries aren't enforcing this so I have strong doubts Thailand ever will.

You should check the Australian system, they certainly take points 2 and 3 seriously, but I am not sure what you mean by "term limits," politicians are in for the term of government, I believe it can be no longer than 4 years, then voters have the chance to vote them back or not.

Edited by Rorri

Note to voters: those bad politicians will get rid of you before you can get rid of them.Watch out for politicians who prefer a senate with appointed members vs. a senate with 100% elected members.elected by whom?????????????elected by the people.

Really. I cannot remember there ever being national elections for the senate.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

" Get rid of the bad polititions ???------that must be a big per-cent.

Cannot give them inactive posts, as they are already inactive, but what comes out of many of the mouths is overactive. ( many with brain malfunction) giggle.gif

They could start by disallowing anyone with a previous conviction from being a politician. Then secondary to that, anyone subject to criminal investigations. Thirdly, anyone with unexplained wealth... etc but all this is wishful thinking to be sure and nothing will change. And of course, remove the impunity for politicians against prosecution. This is a lip-service article from the spin doctors.

You're going like a pro there LT.

Sadly Mutley and DocN have not come back to abuse me yet! whistling.gif

You're going like a pro there LT.

Sadly Mutley and DocN have not come back to abuse me yet! whistling.gif

For what its worth I agree with you, but it will never happen as it serves all politicians very well, not just the current holders and the army.

I know that many in the PTP are bent, but the same goes for all parties. I just hope this administration is allowed to serve its term and be voted out if they fail. No intervention is my policy. If things are really going to be as bad as you read on TVF, 500 baht will still not guarantee a vote.

• Like 1

Note to voters: those bad politicians will get rid of you before you can get rid of them.Watch out for politicians who prefer a senate with appointed members vs. a senate with 100% elected members.elected by whom?????????????elected by the people.

then you need to upgrade your knowledge about Thailands political system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_(Thailand)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Senate_election,_2000

with the coup constitution we got an half elected, half appointed senate.

currently there is an amendment that should bring us back the 100% elected senate.

guess which party is against elected senators? who is that "bad party" that want to get rid of the voters?

then you need to upgrade your knowledge about Thailands political system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_(Thailand)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Senate_election,_2000

with the coup constitution we got an half elected, half appointed senate.

currently there is an amendment that should bring us back the 100% elected senate.

guess which party is against elected senators? who is that "bad party" that want to get rid of the voters?

Cool. Thats why i never noticed one election every 6 years. Also according to that wiki the appointed senators are aligned with Thaksin and the elected with the army.. Surely that can't be right.. can it?

Off topic posts have been removed.

A post with reference to HM the King has been removed. Speculation, comments and discussion of either political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.