Australian Charged For Son's Alleged Holiday Sex With Prostitute On Koh Samui

A BRISBANE man has been charged with child sex tourism offences after allegedly allowing his 13-year-old son to visit a prostitute during a family holiday in Thailand.

146740-dad-prostitute-son-thailand.jpg

TEST CASE: The father of a 13-year-old boy who visited a prostitute in Thailand.
Source: The Courier-Mail

It is believed to be the first time laws designed to stop Australian paedophiles preying on foreign children have been used in such a way and the prosecution is being seen as a test case.

The man, 45, was charged by the Queensland Police Service Child Protection Investigation Unit last month and faced Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday charged with two Commonwealth sex offences which carry maximum penalties of 20 years in jail.

One charge alleges that he caused a child under the age of 16 to engage in sexual intercourse outside Australia, and the other that he procured a child to engage in sexual activity outside his place of residence.

Police allege the offences took place on the Thai resort island of Ko Samui between September 6 and September 9 last year.

Continued on: The Courier-Mail

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket News: Dad charged for son’s alleged holiday sex with prostitute on Samui

KOH SAMUI: -- An Australian man has been charged with child sex tourism offences after allegedly allowing his 13-year-old son to visit a prostitute while on Koh Samui last year.

The Courier-Mail reported the man, 45, was charged last month and faced Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday (April 3) charged with two Commonwealth sex offences which carry maximum penalties of 20 years in jail.

It is believed to be the first time laws designed to stop Australian paedophiles preying on foreign children have been used in such a way and the prosecution is being seen as a test case.

The newspaper reported that one charge alleges that he caused a child under the age of 16 to engage in sexual intercourse outside Australia, and the other that he procured a child to engage in sexual activity outside his place of residence.

Police allege the offences took place on Koh Samui between September 6 and September 9 last year.

Charges have been adjourned until April 24.

High-profile Queensland criminal lawyer Bill Potts, who is not representing the man, said it was a “very unique” prosecution.

Mr Potts, of Potts Lawyers, said Australia’s child sex tourism laws were designed to stop vulnerable children, especially in Asia, from being exploited.

“What it means is that it doesn’t matter where an offence occurs – if an Australian citizen commits an illegal act in a foreign place, they are deemed to have committed an offence under Australian law and can be punished here."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/dad-charged-for-son%E2%80%99s-alleged-holiday-sex-with-prostitute-on-samui-38375.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-04

why would the mam have to have a hand in it? Im sure she never knew at all.. very embarrasing as a13 year old boy knowing your mam knows you have just had sex.. she wont have known at all..

Edited by metisdead
Font, use the default forum font when posting!
  • Like 1

Why isn't the prostitute charged with having sex with an underage person? That is the real crime.

If it was a male prostitute shagging a 13 year old girl then all hell would break loose against the guy.

Probably hard to get a conviction as they would have to get the prostitute to testify and that may not be easy. Then all she could do was say they had sex.

It is the son that will have to say his father paid for it. So basically up to the son to get his father locked up. Can't see that happening.

i think he was arrested in Austrailia if so they shall have to fly the prostutue whitness over to give evidence. i dont know how they can do this or can he be arrested by just talking i hope not as i talk allot of xxxx.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

They use video evidence in Qld so don't have to bring the witness over.

But still, it all hangs on the boy's evidence. I think after a little time he will see how much this will destroy the family and just say he paid for it himself.

Another issue is the 'intent' of the law. I think the charging of this guy under those laws is outside the intention for which those laws were written.

In the end I think the charges will be reduced to something state based instead of the child prostitution laws.

• Like 1

kids go home from school/ footy where ever, HEY, Mum Dad guess what Jimmy did on his holiday, can we go to, then all it takes is 1 Mrs I Am Somebody to feel she HAS to be the perfect citizen and go the cops, either that or she thinks she owes the parents of the Kid 1, so its payback...

Edited by briboy
  • Like 1

Why isn't the prostitute charged with having sex with an underage person? That is the real crime.

If it was a male prostitute shagging a 13 year old girl then all hell would break loose against the guy.

Probably hard to get a conviction as they would have to get the prostitute to testify and that may not be easy. Then all she could do was say they had sex.

It is the son that will have to say his father paid for it. So basically up to the son to get his father locked up. Can't see that happening.

That's actually a good point. What evidence do they have where the father "caused" the boy to have sex? Is the hooker going to testify?

If it's the boy getting some type of revenge, are they taking his word for it?

Many questions and unfortunately the story will die after today and we won't hear more about this.

Edited by Markaew

But still, it all hangs on the boy's evidence. I think after a little time he will see how much this will destroy the family and just say he paid for it himself.

Another issue is the 'intent' of the law. I think the charging of this guy under those laws is outside the intention for which those laws were written.

In the end I think the charges will be reduced to something state based instead of the child prostitution laws.

What video evidence could they have? The boy entering a room with a hooker? Maybe she gave him a massage.

rolleyes.gif

Have to pull you up here. You can't say prostitute. Its illegal and apparently that word offends certain sensitivities on the part of the girl and the "customer". Just say "bar girl" and everythings fine because a "bar girl" is a totally different. rolleyes.gif

Tis a weird story though....

• Like 1

What video evidence could they have? The boy entering a room with a hooker? Maybe she gave him a massage.
I mean that a person can give evidence via video, they don't have to be brought to Oz. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Did the hooker pay his son for sex? How did the authority get wind of this information? Probably going through a divorce.

i think he was bragging about it. probably did not know he could get 20 years. bloody hell if i was offered this at 13 i would have jumped at the chance. silly laws.

question is was he forced to go with her or did he want to go and he ask for the money off his dad. did anyone ask the kid if he enjoyed it??? if so then who is the victim????

Who is the victim?

Having your father pay someone to have sex with you (or being used by your father for some retarded rite-of-passage joke) at the age of 13 could leave one or two psychological time-bombs on board the kid's mind. That aside, if the hooker brought along a surprise package of STDs, including the big HIV gift that keeps on giving, who knows what his immune system is capable of coping with.

Even if the kid asked for it or claimed he enjoyed it, there are reasons why someone that age cannot be assumed to have had mutually consensual sex with some adult and there are reasons why some people go bonkers in later life claiming they were unhinged by childhood abuse.

• Like 2

Did the hooker pay his son for sex? How did the authority get wind of this information? Probably going through a divorce.

Australian federal policy do a lot of work trying to catch pedofiles, he could have been under investigation for some other related activity and the came across evidence.

It seems like the bleeding hearts are trying to usurp child protection laws for things that they don't personally approve. Really, it should be dealt with in Thailand where it happened. The Australian government seems to love to make laws to restrict the conduct of their citizens, even when they aren't in Australia. They should extradite not litigate.

However, my western moral judgement is that it sounds like pretty bad parenting. However, I wouldn't browbeat anyone over it. I see parents taking their kids to red-light districts all the time. I just take a moment to stare disapprovingly and move on with my life.

Edited by horsewell
  • Like 1

i think he was bragging about it. probably did not know he could get 20 years. bloody hell if i was offered this at 13 i would have jumped at the chance. silly laws.

question is was he forced to go with her or did he want to go and he ask for the money off his dad. did anyone ask the kid if he enjoyed it??? if so then who is the victim????

I wonder if the prostitute get's a prison sentence for being with a underage boy? beatdeadhorse.gif

Didn't occur on Australian soil so its no-one else business in oz what happened ..

Did you read the article or know anything about legislation that gives extra-territorial power?

• Like 1

What these stupid lawmakers should realise is that most if not all 13 year old boys have hormones running wild and urges that the law says they can only relieve with their right hand.

Maybe it should be law that all 13 year old boys should have access to prostitutes. Maybe that would help reduce the number of sex assaults that these boys, with no legal outlet, carry out on young girls.

It seems like the bleeding hearts are trying to usurp child protection laws for things that they don't personally approve. Really, it should be dealt with in Thailand where it happened. The Australian government seems to love to make laws to restrict the conduct of their citizens, even when they aren't in Australia. They should extradite not litigate.

However, my western moral judgement is that it sounds like pretty bad parenting. However, I wouldn't browbeat anyone over it. I see parents taking their kids to red-light districts all the time. I just take a moment to stare disapprovingly and move on with my life.

+1

I guess they could have a video interview with the alleged prostitute attesting to the fact that 1. the act occurred with the said boy and 2. that the father paid for the service. But the whole thing sounds rather dubious from an evidentiary point of view: child evidence, no opportunity to cross-examine a video witness, assuming there is one, questionable motives in the light of assault charges against the father. More likely that the case will fizzle away.

Edited by goatfarmer