Hua Hin Water Problems

1Ping1

New to site and may be stupid question but does anyone know what's going on w water problems in hua Hin. Seems like we are losing water every few days and living off pump and scum filled blue tank.

Second question, how do I drain and clean tank properly. There is no drain valve.

Third. Om guessing its a 1500 liter tank. How much chlorine should I add to kill bacteria and make safe for at least showers.

Thanks

As for your first question, Hua Hin is a drought area. There are water shortages every spring and summer. How short depends on where you live and how you get your supply. We are lucky and have never had a problem even though at times for weeks they shut off the mains for 12 out of every 24 hours. I knew this before I built so I had two in ground 4000 liter tanks built. People in developments adjacent to my house are frequently having to fill their tanks by buying truck loads from the local tanker trucks. This year is supposed to be one of the hottest with one of the worst droughts on record so that, along with the population increase is going to make it worse for a while.

I used a lot of bleach in my day until I was turned on to Hydrogen peroxide. I don't have the numbers with me right now but if you are not looking to drink the water I would recommend you use one bottle from the pharmacy (about a half liter of 3%) for your first go at it and it should clean up any problems with bacteria and none of the residuals of bleach or smells or other related bleach issue. H2O2 in h2O is a good thing. Also to drain the tank put in a hose and make sure it sits on the bottom of the tank (tie a rock to it) the turn on the water as if to fill it when water is flowing intop the tank just disconnect the hose from the faucet and lay it on the ground and it will then reverse and suction will empty the tank.

More info needed on tank is it outside the house or inside ??? outside no problem wait till you have a main's water supply undo the bottom feed and drain off surplas water then use hose to blast out the rubbish refix joint and add if you want chlorien mesures will be on the packet it come's in, you can also use water purifying liquid

If it's in the house you could have a big problem with draining the thing.

Best of luck

In our area its every year between March and June. We sunk a borehole last year, expensive but no more water trucks. Just be careful of water trucks, saw one truck the other day pumping water out of the canal. If its your own place think of extra above ground tanks and a filter system(s). The municipality have a budget of B 1,2 bn to fix the problem but it may take a couple of years.

As for your first question, Hua Hin is a drought area. There are water shortages every spring and summer. How short depends on where you live and how you get your supply. We are lucky and have never had a problem even though at times for weeks they shut off the mains for 12 out of every 24 hours. I knew this before I built so I had two in ground 4000 liter tanks built. People in developments adjacent to my house are frequently having to fill their tanks by buying truck loads from the local tanker trucks. This year is supposed to be one of the hottest with one of the worst droughts on record so that, along with the population increase is going to make it worse for a while.

We are experienicng a water shortage here in Ranong which is the wettest province in Thailand. We have shitloads of rain and there are plenty of rivers/mountains in close proximity to the town to enable the construction of Dams.The Government can find plenty of money for National Reconciliation and other useless causes. What about looking after the nations people and ensure an adequate supply of water is provided, after all, it is a priority above all.
  • Like 1

Even in the rainiest part of the rainy season (which isn't much in Hua Hin), I notice that the municipal water supply on my soi doesn't run 24/7. It seems to fill my tank several times a day, but not necessarily immediately when the tank's water level drops. Once when I decided to do several loads of laundry consecutively, I drained the tank and it took a couple hours before the water municipal supply returned to fill my tank.

Make sure you have a big enough tank!

I work in UK as an inspector for a local authority, so may be able to offer some advice. One day we're planning to move back to Thailand, hence why reading this forum.

If you cannot drain the tank, you should isolate and pump out the water and any sediment. The tank should be refilled and shock dosed with chlorine to around 25mg/l chlorine. The common chemical used is sodium dichloroisocyanurate. Once left, it should be drained by opening a tap towards the end of the distribution and run to waste. Cold stored water must be kept less than 20 degrees Celsius to help manage risks associated with Legionella (BS 8580: 2010). Once refilled, if there are questions over the wholesomeness, you could add sodium or calcium hypochlorite occasionally to help ensure a good supply. However, if doing the latter, this should be controlled by measuring the free residual chlorine with aim of around 0.15 to 0.2mg/l free chlorine. Test kits are available to check the residual. Ultimately, u should consult with a good engineer.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for great advice.

Tank is outside the house. Cannot disconnect bottom discharge to properly flush without cutting pipe as suckers who installed it used PVC and glue straight into bottom of tank.

I'm going to go with useing pump to drain. After shutting off street valve and then once empty turn back on. Rinse and then repeat process. Hell of a catch 22, must turn of water to drain. Then no water to clean. Thinking I will tie float up to fool it into thinking full so I can do both at same time.

Does anyone have any idea what schedule is for city turning supply off and on. ? With my luck. I'll have clean empty tank right about when they shut off my supply.

Thanks again for great answers and advice.

• 3 months later...

I work in UK as an inspector for a local authority, so may be able to offer some advice. One day we're planning to move back to Thailand, hence why reading this forum.

If you cannot drain the tank, you should isolate and pump out the water and any sediment. The tank should be refilled and shock dosed with chlorine to around 25mg/l chlorine. The common chemical used is sodium dichloroisocyanurate. Once left, it should be drained by opening a tap towards the end of the distribution and run to waste. Cold stored water must be kept less than 20 degrees Celsius to help manage risks associated with Legionella (BS 8580: 2010). Once refilled, if there are questions over the wholesomeness, you could add sodium or calcium hypochlorite occasionally to help ensure a good supply. However, if doing the latter, this should be controlled by measuring the free residual chlorine with aim of around 0.15 to 0.2mg/l free chlorine. Test kits are available to check the residual. Ultimately, u should consult with a good engineer.

I bought a granular calcium hypochlorite for 120 baht from Homemart, however there is no percentage in box so I'm guessing its 65 or 68 percent chlorine.

I want to clean my 1500 Liter tank, which hasn't been cleaned for 2-3 years because it stores my filtered water, but I want to clean it anyway. Can anybody tell me how many grams of granular calcium hypochlorite necessary to mix with water & put it into my water tank?

I will shutdown pump so there won't be any additional water coming in and I plan to send all water to waste, not planning to drink or use it. I just need figures, and min. waiting time for chlorine to take effect and kill whatever inside in my water tank.

I bought a granular calcium hypochlorite for 120 baht from Homemart, however there is no percentage in box so I'm guessing its 65 or 68 percent chlorine.

I want to clean my 1500 Liter tank, which hasn't been cleaned for 2-3 years because it stores my filtered water, but I want to clean it anyway. Can anybody tell me how many grams of granular calcium hypochlorite necessary to mix with water & put it into my water tank?

I will shutdown pump so there won't be any additional water coming in and I plan to send all water to waste, not planning to drink or use it. I just need figures, and min. waiting time for chlorine to take effect and kill whatever inside in my water tank.

You're trying to shock the system with calcium hypochlorite. Generally, the aim is for 25mg/l chlorine left overnight, or 0.0025% so for 1500 litres assuming the tank is full and assuming 1 litre is 1 kg;

1500 Kg x 0.0025% / 65% available chlorine = 0.057 kg or 57 grams of calcium hypochlorite

Before shock dosing, you should carry out a visual check and if dirty, clean the inside. For shock dosing, fill the tank and leave preferably overnight, then open a tap towards the end of the pipework and run to waste. But make sure everyone is aware of what you're doing.