Bangkok Court To Trial Son Of Red Bull Executive

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose BIG money will get him off.NO JUSTICE in Thailand for the everyday persons.

The rich pay 'teamoney' to whoever, and get off.

I predict it will drag on for years...postponements...health reasons...whatever...until it is very old news....finally..he is acquitted....

No.

Open/shut. Guilty plea, suspended sentence.

• Like 1

Makes me laugh, outraged Farangs whining about this guy, if they had knocked down the cop, they no doubt would be scrambling round to raise the money to buy their way out of it.

Do any of you outraged Farangs think you wouldn't if you had the chance ?

I suppose BIG money will get him off.

NO JUSTICE in Thailand for the everyday persons.

The rich pay 'teamoney' to whoever, and get off.

He's being charged and tried, right?

Ain't been here long, eh. :D

Makes me laugh, outraged Farangs whining about this guy, if they had knocked down the cop, they no doubt would be scrambling round to raise the money to buy their way out of it.

Yeah, there's another thread running about a farang buying his way out of a drunk driving charge. Not much outrage over there.

What seems to outrage farangs more than anything are locals who are richer than they would be if they worked at their sad little English teaching jobs for a thousand years.

• Like 1

the judical system acts independent from the government.

it is called separation of powers.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Wow. Wouldn't that be wonderful if it were actually the case. But, here in the LOS it is not. The government exercises control, and the judges respond. Do you actually think they have an independent judiciary here?

Rather than break it down for you, I will quote the following, from the international business anti corruption portal:

Thailand's judicial system functions at a very slow pace. According to Global Integrity 2007, appeals of criminal cases can take 10-15 years to be resolved, while appeals of civil cases can take 5-10 years to resolve. Such drawn-out procedures encourage the bribing of civil servants charged with overseeing regulations to speed up legal procedures and such practice is reportedly common. In Thailand´s Anti-Corruption Strategy 2010 released by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), the judicial system is described as weak and continuously manipulated by influential people, such as the Thai mafia and politicians. However, according to Transparency International Global Corruption Barometer 2010/2011, only a small percentage of the surveyed households who had contact with the judiciary in the past 12 months reported having paid a bribe.

The US Department of State 2011 reports that the government provides free legal advice to the poor; however, there were NGO reports of instances where these legal aid lawyers forced their clients to pay extra fees directly to them. According to human rights groups, the lack of progress in several high-profile cases involving alleged police and military abuse have diminished the public's trust in the justice system.

Business Corruption

According to the US Department of State 2012, Thailand's judiciary enforces property and contract rights effectively. However, it should be mentioned that the legal process is very lengthy. On a positive note, enforcement of bankruptcy judgments has been eased and streamlined since 2004.

Litigants sometimes influence judgments by extra-legal means, including bribes. According to the US Department of State 2011, although the judiciary generally is considered independent, it is subject to corruption and outside influences. Companies need to be aware that decisions by foreign courts are not recognised in Thai courts and thus cannot be enforced. Therefore, disputes that need to be settled in court and recognised in Thailand have to go through the Thai justice system.

Political Corruption

Corruption and self-interested behaviour is found throughout the political and judicial system. Global Integrity 2007states that judicial corruption is rampant and that it largely goes unpunished. Judges' decisions are not always impartial and may be influenced by personal relationships. This is supported by the US Department of State 2011, which reports that the judicial system is subject to external influences and corruption, and lacks progress in tackling high-profile cases such as police and military abuse of power. In addition, the Bertelsmann Foundation 2012 also states that the judiciary is corrupt to a certain extent. On a positive note, according to Freedom House 2012, with the new Constitution of 2007, the judicial independence is guaranteed. However, it remains to be seen whether a more impartial judiciary will result from it.

the judical system acts independent from the government. period.

If you think it is otherwise i recommend to study the law in thailand before making such claims.

You are correct.

However they seem to be doing what the government tells them to do.

The study of the law in Thailand must be a very frustrating experience, as the gap that exists in the real world in Thailand, could be possibly be further than the theory you are taught in the classroom. No matter the result, the penalties here seem to be some of the most lenient in the world. The courts here seem to have no teeth, the judges little courage, and the deterrent factor is nil, especially when it comes to traffic offenses, manslaughter committed while driving, etc. Of course, this applies much more in regard to how wealthy you are. Need I say more?

the judical system acts independent from the government.

it is called separation of powers.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Wow. Wouldn't that be wonderful if it were actually the case. But, here in the LOS it is not. The government exercises control, and the judges respond. Do you actually think they have an independent judiciary here?

Rather than break it down for you, I will quote the following, from the international business anti corruption portal:

Thailand's judicial system functions at a very slow pace. According to Global Integrity 2007, appeals of criminal cases can take 10-15 years to be resolved, while appeals of civil cases can take 5-10 years to resolve. Such drawn-out procedures encourage the bribing of civil servants charged with overseeing regulations to speed up legal procedures and such practice is reportedly common. In Thailand´s Anti-Corruption Strategy 2010 released by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), the judicial system is described as weak and continuously manipulated by influential people, such as the Thai mafia and politicians. However, according to Transparency International Global Corruption Barometer 2010/2011, only a small percentage of the surveyed households who had contact with the judiciary in the past 12 months reported having paid a bribe.

The US Department of State 2011 reports that the government provides free legal advice to the poor; however, there were NGO reports of instances where these legal aid lawyers forced their clients to pay extra fees directly to them. According to human rights groups, the lack of progress in several high-profile cases involving alleged police and military abuse have diminished the public's trust in the justice system.

Business Corruption

According to the US Department of State 2012, Thailand's judiciary enforces property and contract rights effectively. However, it should be mentioned that the legal process is very lengthy. On a positive note, enforcement of bankruptcy judgments has been eased and streamlined since 2004.

Litigants sometimes influence judgments by extra-legal means, including bribes. According to the US Department of State 2011, although the judiciary generally is considered independent, it is subject to corruption and outside influences. Companies need to be aware that decisions by foreign courts are not recognised in Thai courts and thus cannot be enforced. Therefore, disputes that need to be settled in court and recognised in Thailand have to go through the Thai justice system.

Political Corruption

Corruption and self-interested behaviour is found throughout the political and judicial system. Global Integrity 2007states that judicial corruption is rampant and that it largely goes unpunished. Judges' decisions are not always impartial and may be influenced by personal relationships. This is supported by the US Department of State 2011, which reports that the judicial system is subject to external influences and corruption, and lacks progress in tackling high-profile cases such as police and military abuse of power. In addition, the Bertelsmann Foundation 2012 also states that the judiciary is corrupt to a certain extent. On a positive note, according to Freedom House 2012, with the new Constitution of 2007, the judicial independence is guaranteed. However, it remains to be seen whether a more impartial judiciary will result from it.

the judical system acts independent from the government. period.

If you think it is otherwise i recommend to study the law in thailand before making such claims.

You are correct.

However they seem to be doing what the government tells them to do.

The study of the law in Thailand must be a very frustrating experience, as the gap that exists in the real world in Thailand, could be possibly be further than the theory you are taught in the classroom. No matter the result, the penalties here seem to be some of the most lenient in the world. The courts here seem to have no teeth, the judges little courage, and the deterrent factor is nil, especially when it comes to traffic offenses, manslaughter committed while driving, etc. Of course, this applies much more in regard to how wealthy you are. Need I say more?

Yeah...why don't you tell us where you got your doctorate in comparative law?

Okay...I'll bite:

- I would never drive a car 120 in the city

- I would not drive drunk

- I would not drive with my head full of cocaine

- If I would still have an accident, I would stop and try to hepl, not speed away and leave my alleged victim to rot and die

- This being said, I would not NEED a scapegoat, my daddies friend police- general

and

and

and

It's called a "moral compass"!

But tell me, outraged farang -basher: how about you?!

(Where is the smiley with the raised middle- finger, if you need him?)

• Like 2

I was in HuaHin last at a hotel in the neighborhood of the family beach compound. During the evening a tow truck brought in a Ferrari with a smashed front end into the compound. Wonder if "out of sight, out of mind " applies.

Yeah, there's another thread running about a farang buying his way out of a drunk driving charge. Not much outrage over there.

What seems to outrage farangs more than anything are locals who are richer than they would be if they worked at their sad little English teaching jobs for a thousand years.

Good point. It is pretty hard for a farang with a regular job to complete with a Thai-Chinese rolling in corruption money... lol...

The Red Bull family didn't get rich from corruption. They got rich by inventing a product that has become iconic worldwide.

Psst..... It was the Swiss partner who turned it into the big bucks. Prior to him it was a localized energy drink for Thai truck drivers.... If you are indeed a newly minted Thai, you should know your history.... Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

Ok you seem to be a bit confused so let me help you out. Every person who commits a crime will do everything in their power to weasel out of any punishment. Whether you are a farang teacher who got got caught drunk driving, or the Red Bull heir, the actions of those caught will always be the same.

On the other hand, the goal of society is to punish people who commit crimes in order to deter other people from doing similar crimes. Here is where the Thai justice system fails, by allowing money to control the outcome.

I personally am bit bit divided on this case, as it pits a spoiled hiso brat against the largest mafia in the world..... Since it appears the police are doing everything possible to make this case go away, they clearly are not doing a good job of protecting their own. :-)

• Like 2

The Red Bull family didn't get rich from corruption. They got rich by inventing a product that has become iconic worldwide.

Psst..... It was the Swiss partner who turned it into the big bucks. Prior to him it was a localized energy drink for Thai truck drivers.... If you are indeed a newly minted Thai, you should know your history....
swiss partner?

nonsense.

Psst..... It was the Swiss partner who turned it into the big bucks. Prior to him it was a localized energy drink for Thai truck drivers.... If you are indeed a newly minted Thai, you should know your history....
swiss partner?

nonsense.

You are right for once, he was Austrian.

The Red Bull family didn't get rich from corruption. They got rich by inventing a product that has become iconic worldwide.Psst..... It was the Swiss partner who turned it into the big bucks. Prior to him it was a localized energy drink for Thai truck drivers.... If you are indeed a newly minted Thai, you should know your history....

Austrian, not Swiss. I know the story, and never said they did it all by themselves.

So are you changing your mind that they got rich through corruption, then?

swiss partner?

nonsense.

My god, a sad day when I am corrected by ZZ. Yes it not a Swiss partner but rather an Austrian partner.

" Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz was inspired by a pre-existing energy drink named Krating Daeng (Thai: กระทิงแดง, Thai pronunciation: [kràtʰiŋ dɛːŋ]), which was first invented and sold in Thailand. He took this idea, modified the ingredients to suit the tastes of westerners,[4] and, in partnership with Chaleo Yoovidhya, founded Red Bull GmbH in Austria. "

The Red Bull family didn't get rich from corruption. They got rich by inventing a product that has become iconic worldwide.Psst..... It was the Swiss partner who turned it into the big bucks. Prior to him it was a localized energy drink for Thai truck drivers.... If you are indeed a newly minted Thai, you should know your history....

Austrian, not Swiss. I know the story, and never said they did it all by themselves.

So are you changing your mind that they got rich through corruption, then?

Your original obnoxious statement:

My rebuttal;

Good point. It is pretty hard for a farang with a regular job to complete with a Thai-Chinese rolling in corruption money... lol...

Which you then somehow morphed into:

You made the bizarre connection between the two. I was referring in general to the Thai -Chinese that are at the receiving end on the massive corruption that occurs here. The reality is the Red Bull family did make their money with a legitimate product, although they certainly were helped along by the Austrian partner. Other wealthy families would have a much harder time in a full investigative background check of their finances. Hey could maybe start with Plodprasop !!!!!!!

I don't know why you're singling out Thai-Chinese businessmen, as if they're any more or less corrupt than Thai-Thai or Thai-Lao or mixed blood or anyone else..

Talk about obnoxious, bordering on racist.

OK, so you've changed your tack now: the Yoowittaya's are NOT rolling in corruption money -- a rare exception to your rule, apparently.

You seem to know so much about them, right down to the nationality of their "Swiss" partner.

LOL

• Like 1

I don't know why you're singling out Thai-Chinese businessmen, as if they're any more or less corrupt than Thai-Thai or Thai-Lao or mixed blood or anyone else..

OK, so you've changed your tack now: the Yoowittaya's are NOT rolling in corruption money -- a rare exception to your rule, apparently.

You seem to know so much about them, right down to the nationality of their "Swiss" partner.

LOL

I don't know why your singling out English teacher's. What have they done to you?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

LOL

I don't know why your singling out English teacher's. What have they done to you?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I made the generalization that they made meager wages. Was that inaccurate, cowboy?

LOL

You set up the argument about the Red Bull family and corruption , not me. Sort of a straw man argument gone wrong for you.

Thai-Chinese run Thailand and are on the receiving end of the mind boggling corruption money here. That is called reality, not racism. However feel free to call it whatever you wish to make yourself happy.

The purpose of plea bargains in minor cases is to free court time. Does not apply to a vehicular caused death and the classic Thai fleeing the scene.

What is up with the teacher bashing ?? They seem like a pretty harmless group of people. Would trashing them be some sort of education based racism????? lol lol How in the world did they get pulled into a thread about a spoiled brat gone wrong ??

• Like 1

And how many Thai officials did they have to bribe to get where they are now ?

What officials would those be, then?

Revenue office , Ministry of labor , Customs department , Health and safety inspectors, politicians from all parties.......

And how many Thai officials did they have to bribe to get where they are now ?

What officials would those be, then?

Revenue office , Ministry of labor , Customs department , Health and safety inspectors, politicians from all parties.......

Most of their wealth has come from overseas...royalties paid by their overseas partner. Maybe they've bribed government officials all over the world to force people to buy their product. Surely it can't be because they own an iconic brand.