Facebook: Nothing But Trouble?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are pros and cons to anything, and I could just as easily write about the benefits of having a FB page.

Within the context of dating a Thai girl, after "friend-ing" her, a quick look at her friend list will tell whether she's a farang-hunter. This is particularly true if a lady has numerous western friends who are actively commenting on her photographs -- and she's encouraging them; then you'll know you've joined a 'fan-club', and probably shouldn't put too much stock into having a potentially serious relationship. On the other hand, if you're smitten and you want to make it work, you'll also gain an understanding of your competition.

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1

I agree with Soutpeel, It is a great way of keeping in touch with friends. That is my only regret of deleting my profile, but looking back it isn't worth having the missus questioning every photo or comment that includes you or something you did...That and the cringe-worthy photos of what I just cooked her for tea!

Thanks for sharing that article OP. Many similarities indeed. My favourite line is :

I’d say that 90% of their Facebook updates are sad comments about their miserable lives. The remaining 10% are mostly about noodle soup

• Like 1

Agree with the OP and the article: It takes a LOT of effort to educate the Thai friends on FB about what you accept on your own page and what not... and permanent deleting of stuff... and when you have a GF, then it takes a DAM'N LOT of effort explaining the who is who and dealing with all the jealousy...

But with the right privacy settings, you can keep your own page mostly clean.

• Like 1

As said - facebook can be a great tool for keeping in touch with people you haven't seen in a while and, I guess this is relevant to people who travel a bit - incl LOS, people who live on the other side of the world/different countries etc. That's the main reason I signed up - having said that there are a lot of people who feel compelled to comment on each and every aspect of their lives, "share" articles I couldn't give a rats arse about, and constantly keep me and copious amounts of "friends" updated with the most mundane aspects of their lives.

Apart from recent LOS holiday snaps and updates (Feb - March), and one or two gags, I could count the number of my own "Status Updates" on one hand for this year... easy. People waffle on. that's why facebook works...

• Like 1

<-----------------------------New avatar ;-)

Something a bit worrying about facebook also, is that even though you delete your profile, the information is never deleted. You can type in your password and your account is re-activated with everything still visible at any time. That's xxxxxx scary.

• Like 1

Friend of mine has direct family living in Philippines and he and his wife send pics etc of their kids to them and friends so understandable.

I figure if I want to be your friend, I have your number already. No facebook for me.

• Like 2

Facebook, good or bad? It's like most things. It can be used in many ways. Take a knife. Great when it's used to chop food or open something. Bad when it's used to stab someone. biggrin.png

I agree facebook is really useful for contacting old friends you've lost contact with but it plays to people's instincts. That is being nosy and showing off. Research (in the west) actually found that looking back over your facebook can cheer you up as most stuff posted is usually positive. It seem the use in the east my have the opposite effect and make you want to eat more noodle soup.

I thought this was to be a thread discussing the pitfalls (or advantages, perhaps) of being 'friends' with one's Thai partner on FB. Not a general discussion about FB. But oh well, this is much more interesting...

• Like 1

I make a lot of money off Facebook so quit moaning about it. coffee1.gif

Please elaborate smile.png

Facebook host loads of local buy and sell pages, within which I advertise and drive traffic to my shops. These buy and sell pages are also active here in Thailand.

As a side note, Ebay will be integrating Facebook onto their listings in the next month. Anuone who has a business page on FB ( I have four ) will get better coverage from ebay and linkage to their youtube channel too.

I don't have one but I am considering it. The main reason for older people I think is to be "found" by people from your past, etc. although that isn't always welcome.

Facebook is front for a Government Agency this is known by all people in the know Edited by harryfrompattaya

I agree with Soutpeel, It is a great way of keeping in touch with friends. That is my only regret of deleting my profile, but looking back it isn't worth having the missus questioning every photo or comment that includes you or something you did...That and the cringe-worthy photos of what I just cooked her for tea!

OP, you need to think like the Thai woman. You must have at least 3 FB accounts. Different circles of friends get to see different stuff.

If she ( a Thai woman) had an FB account, why bother with her? I'd rather have one computer illiterate :)