F B I Terrorism Ranking ' A Misunderstanding'

Lite Beer

must be nonsense was my first thought when i heard about that terror number 1 rating.

so it was all a misunderstood.

Thanks for clarifying and also good that the US Embassy apologized for it.

looks like they aren't that bad at all as some poster said it in the other topic.

Yep - Thailand, hub of misunderstandings wai2.gif

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any statements from the US that says they apologized of made a mistake? Pretty sure the only person who is claiming this in a Thai military commander who was probably told, "I'm sorry but you are misunderstanding what the report means"

• Like 1

I'm all for the forum rules against [too much] religion & nationality bashing, but let's do a wee count on who the World's most numerous terrorists are. Anybody care to take a wild guess.

Who was it said: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter....

• Like 2

I'm all for the forum rules against [too much] religion & nationality bashing, but let's do a wee count on who the World's most numerous terrorists are. Anybody care to take a wild guess.

In my humble opinion a terrorist has no qualms about deliberately killing civilians including their own, whereas a freedom fighter is what that same terrorists would like the world to think he is

• Like 2

In my humble opinion a terrorist has no qualms about deliberately killing civilians including their own, whereas a freedom fighter is what that same terrorists would like the world to think he is

While this seems like a very rationale concept you have to consider that countries attack targets all the time knowing that there will be civilians killed. If you want to take out a bridge or utility company it is kind of hard to clear all civilians out first and the resulting casualties are accepted just as the millions of civilians killed during war time including during WWII when bombs were dropped on populated cities with little consideration of civilians.

But your point is well taken in terms of targeting civilians but either side can claim the civilian loses were unintended consequences or collateral damage.

Obviously I don't know, but I doubt very seriously that the US would get involved much in Bangkok or elsewhere beyond what they do now. Now they supply arms and some training.

The people of the US are war weary. I think the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost more than 8,000 US lives Link and about $1.5 trillion dollars Link and of course there have been many other huge expenses such as patrolling the Straits of Hormuz and the Gulf. There are also patrols to protect ships near Somalia, there was the attack on Libya, the current massive buildup of assets in the Asian waters and in Guam and The Philippines... There is China vs The Philippines and others, and N. Korea and...

The US military budget is $700 bil a year, about half of the world's total military spending. A lot of people are questioning it, wondering why.

I think the US would ramp up support in intelligence and supplies and maybe some special ops people, but another war to stop terrorism wouldn't go over well IMHO.

I certainly agree with everything you say concerning the people of the United States and another war (excepting N Korea should the North attack one or more of our treaty allies, such as Japan or S Korea). So you can understand I'm not talking about tens of thousands of U.S. troops into Thailand's South, or U.S. troops doing Baghdad again in Bangkok.

I speak instead of the assistance Washington would provide to Bangkok in respect to counter terrorism training and equipment, not large numbers of boots on the ground. Thailand is a non-Nato ally of the U.S. so we'd be obliged - more importantly, willing - to assist the Thai government to counter southern terrorism in the "north" of Thailand should the southern terrorists come north, which I'm highly confident they would not do. We recently concluded a successful effort of this nature in the Philippines, another formally allied country, using only some special forces in jungle counter terrorism warfare in conjunction with Filipino troops we helped to train.

No war in Thailand, simply assistance to a formal ally of the United States.

Thailand later lost the provinces it annexed from the former Sultanate or some such of Pattani, which extended well south of the present province's geography. So the Thais were pleased to get them back as a gift from Japan during WW2 for the Thai's good behavior while occupied. Now the people there want the border line moved yet again, but are going about it in the entirely dead wrong ways, i.e., terrorism. Either way, borderlines moved a lot during the past 200 years due to the colonial presence of the European powers. In present times, however, border lines are more difficult to move than the lines at KFC.

Maybe the US Operation Enduring Freedom in the Philippines contributed to the current cessation of hostilities in Mindanao. However what strikes me is after 30+ years of insurgency warfare and an estimated 120,000+ deaths, the insurgents have obtained a framework agreement for an autonomous province, planned to be finalised by 2015, exactly what they wanted all those years ago.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2012/12/peace-plan-philippines?zid=306&ah=1b164dbd43b0cb27ba0d4c3b12a5e227

Hopefully their will not be a repeat of previously autonomy agreements being broken, by both sides. One was over ruled by the Supreme Court of the Philippines (2000?) that lead to resurgence of conflict.

I guess it boils down what lessons can be learned by all sides of the conflict in the deep South, a faster turn around time for achieving a mutually agreeable peace process and it will not take 15 years of on & off negotiations as happened in the Philippines.

So give in to terrorists demands or reward terrorist tactics by giving them what they want? Where does it stop if that approach is taken?

• Like 1

No, ture freedom fighters with an ounce of integrity or humanity do not indiscriminately target civilians, women, children or whatever they can to make a point. Cannot even clump them in same category and only a community or nation with severely warped values would or could see terroists as freedom fighters. There are some truly messed up twisted people in this world.

• Like 2

I am a left wing nutter thank you very much.

Of course you are. lol I base my arguments on factual information btw,you obviously do not know anything about facts.America has murdered more people in the last ten years than all Muslim terrorists put together and if you do not know that fact then you need to get off the faux news channel and read the real news. Edited by pbay

It sure is peaceful around here

zzzzz1.jpg

Ignoring someone means that you ignore them, what you do not do is make a post where you show you are not in fact ignoring them but posting about them. LMAO.

Edited by pbay

What the heck do American atrocities like Napalming and Agent Oranging millions of innocent Vietnamese villagers and then having the ignorance not to assist with the health outcomes have to do with this topic where yet another Thai leader is probably talking bull crap to an uncaring or ignorant Thai population when there is no statement from the FBI presented to back the Generals statement ? The chart Nisa presented clearly shows the truth that Thailand is the worst in SE Asia. The amount of this sort of national face saving bull crap from the Thais does not even amaze anymore.

What the heck do American atrocities like Napalming and Agent Oranging millions of innocent Vietnamese villagers and then having the ignorance not to assist with the health outcomes have to do with this topic where yet another Thai leader is probably talking bull crap to an uncaring or ignorant Thai population when there is no statement from the FBI presented to back the Generals statement ? The chart Nisa presented clearly shows the truth that Thailand is the worst in SE Asia. The amount of this sort of national face saving bull crap from the Thais does not even amaze anymore.

All comments about Americans and killings elsewhere are off topic, flaming and clearly against forum rules.

I have no idea why the mods allow it. Flaming Americans is the one thing that seems to get under the radar always here.

My ignore list is growing daily.

• Like 1

All comments about Americans and killings elsewhere are off topic, flaming and clearly against forum rules.

I have no idea why the mods allow it. Flaming Americans is the one thing that seems to get under the radar always here.

I have enjoyed reading your posts on many subjects in the past Neversure, and agreed with most of them, but this is sounds really disspointing.

It smells a bit to Nationalism.

• Like 1

Yhis thread is indeed about the FBI ( read the US government ) issuing a terrorist warning for Thailand. Am I missing something ?

Yes you are. The thread is not about who has been the world's biggest mass killer in the past decade - the US. This thread is not about comparing the terrorists in S. Thailand with the US and calling the US terrorists. This thread is not about calling the US bigger terrorists than the terrorists in S. Thailand.

Indeed, related to this thread is the reason why the terrorism in the world is at these levels for the past decade.

I think the reason for the listing was not solely the uproar in the south.

Edited by jbrain

I have enjoyed reading your posts on many subjects in the past Neversure, and agreed with most of them, but this is sounds really disspointing.

It smells a bit to Nationalism.

"Diss-pointing" is a wonderful new coined word. Congratulations. I'm tired of "diss pointing."

Of course we are all nationalistic. Watch me start flaming Brits or Canucks or Aussies and see what reaction I get. What would you expect?

If I went off-topic, flaming those countries, I'd expect at least a holiday and I'll bet I'd get one. But Americans seem to be fair game, no matter how off topic it goes.

It doesn't even matter that I have always fully disagreed with the wars in Iraq and Afhan, as many other Americans do. I still love my country.

Bye.

Speaking about going off topic. Playing the spelling police where an internet explorer issue with the forum software prevents a letter to be entered.

As I said I haven't read every post in this thread so far, but my understanding of flaming is telling falsehoods, and I haven't seen them so far.

Again this thread is about the US government putting Thailand high on the terrorist list, not?

The thread is about the FBI saying that Thailand is high on the list of Islamic terrorist attacks. That is a statistical matter. And that it is has been proven in this thread.

Flaming doesn't have to be a falsehood, and a falsehood is in the eye of the beholder here anyway.

Flame wars are just insult wars and are against forum rules.

I didn't mean to insult your spelling. I was making a play on words, to make a point. I make lots of spelling mistakes and typos.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

The following two threads were next to each other, when I logged-on this morning, does anyone else think they might be related ?

"F-B-I Terrorism Ranking A Misunderstanding"

"Bomb Kills Two Top Provincial officials In Thai South"

The FBI are quite clear, that they are related, the Thai-government & military are convinced that they're not.

Which would you believe ? whistling.gif

Yes you are. The thread is not about who has been the world's biggest mass killer in the past decade - the US. This thread is not about comparing the terrorists in S. Thailand with the US and calling the US terrorists. This thread is not about calling the US bigger terrorists than the terrorists in S. Thailand.

it seems that there are no terrorists in Thailand. That was a misunderstanding.

the following discussion clarified what should considered as terrorism.

Obviously I don't know, but I doubt very seriously that the US would get involved much in Bangkok or elsewhere beyond what they do now. Now they supply arms and some training.

The people of the US are war weary. I think the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost more than 8,000 US lives Link and about $1.5 trillion dollars Link and of course there have been many other huge expenses such as patrolling the Straits of Hormuz and the Gulf. There are also patrols to protect ships near Somalia, there was the attack on Libya, the current massive buildup of assets in the Asian waters and in Guam and The Philippines... There is China vs The Philippines and others, and N. Korea and...

The US military budget is $700 bil a year, about half of the world's total military spending. A lot of people are questioning it, wondering why.

I think the US would ramp up support in intelligence and supplies and maybe some special ops people, but another war to stop terrorism wouldn't go over well IMHO.

I certainly agree with everything you say concerning the people of the United States and another war (excepting N Korea should the North attack one or more of our treaty allies, such as Japan or S Korea). So you can understand I'm not talking about tens of thousands of U.S. troops into Thailand's South, or U.S. troops doing Baghdad again in Bangkok.

I speak instead of the assistance Washington would provide to Bangkok in respect to counter terrorism training and equipment, not large numbers of boots on the ground. Thailand is a non-Nato ally of the U.S. so we'd be obliged - more importantly, willing - to assist the Thai government to counter southern terrorism in the "north" of Thailand should the southern terrorists come north, which I'm highly confident they would not do. We recently concluded a successful effort of this nature in the Philippines, another formally allied country, using only some special forces in jungle counter terrorism warfare in conjunction with Filipino troops we helped to train.

No war in Thailand, simply assistance to a formal ally of the United States.

Thailand later lost the provinces it annexed from the former Sultanate or some such of Pattani, which extended well south of the present province's geography. So the Thais were pleased to get them back as a gift from Japan during WW2 for the Thai's good behavior while occupied. Now the people there want the border line moved yet again, but are going about it in the entirely dead wrong ways, i.e., terrorism. Either way, borderlines moved a lot during the past 200 years due to the colonial presence of the European powers. In present times, however, border lines are more difficult to move than the lines at KFC.

Maybe the US Operation Enduring Freedom in the Philippines contributed to the current cessation of hostilities in Mindanao. However what strikes me is after 30+ years of insurgency warfare and an estimated 120,000+ deaths, the insurgents have obtained a framework agreement for an autonomous province, planned to be finalised by 2015, exactly what they wanted all those years ago.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2012/12/peace-plan-philippines?zid=306&ah=1b164dbd43b0cb27ba0d4c3b12a5e227

Hopefully their will not be a repeat of previously autonomy agreements being broken, by both sides. One was over ruled by the Supreme Court of the Philippines (2000?) that lead to resurgence of conflict.

I guess it boils down what lessons can be learned by all sides of the conflict in the deep South, a faster turn around time for achieving a mutually agreeable peace process and it will not take 15 years of on & off negotiations as happened in the Philippines.

So give in to terrorists demands or reward terrorist tactics by giving them what they want? Where does it stop if that approach is taken?

Read my post "achieving a mutually agreeable peace process". The point of my post it that these so called insurgency conflicts are finalised by a political dialogue, based upon some form of power sharing for the affected area/provinces. We are not talking about an endeavour to over throw the national government. The continuation of killing & suffering by all parties to the conflict is illogical when looking at recent outcomes. At least their has been an agreement to negotiate a template to achieve peace. Right now it seems the biggest challenge is to get the Juwae under control.

Edited by simple1

While this seems like a very rationale concept you have to consider that countries attack targets all the time knowing that there will be civilians killed. If you want to take out a bridge or utility company it is kind of hard to clear all civilians out first and the resulting casualties are accepted just as the millions of civilians killed during war time including during WWII when bombs were dropped on populated cities with little consideration of civilians.

But your point is well taken in terms of targeting civilians but either side can claim the civilian loses were unintended consequences or collateral damage.

You are absolutely right of course - a car bomb in the middle of a busy market is obviously a military/strategic target.

religious terrorist group are now using donkey-bombers - I wonder if there are 24 virgin asses waiting for them in Paradise]

• Like 1

Sure the Brits did many things wrong. But at least they had the balls (or conscience if you prefer to be polite) to admit their faults most of the time. And that is why the Brits are respected most of the time by most of the world.

PS. I am not British, I am a Asian paddy

Excellent. I've been to The Killing Fields where in less than 5 years in the 70's 1/4 of the population of Cambodia either died, or died elsewhere from starvation. That's about 2 million people at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. That's far closer to Bangkok than Hat Yai Songkhla, Southern Thailand.

But it always comes back to the same old repetitive drivel instead of staying on topic.

The US is doing more than Thailand admits helping in this war on terrorism in the South. Anything Thailand wants it gets, just as The Philippines did.

We need to focus like a laser on these terrorist because on average 3.5 times per day they carry out an attack in S. Thailand and it needs to be addressed and stopped.

I heard there was also US support for Pol Pot because he fought with the communist Vietnamese.

http://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/pol/polpotmontclarion0498.html7

the situation in the south is not your normal "terrorist" problem were your "terrorist" fight against your "freedoms".

they are a minority group that want independence.

You are correct though many governments, including Thailand supported Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge as the legitimate government of Cambodia in the UN after the Vietnamese invaded, deposed Pol Pot and uncovered the already suspected genocide.

Thailand gave safe haven to Pol Pot in the 80's. He stayed in Trat protected by a Thai special forces unit while the Thai army trained and supported Khmer Rouge cadres operating from within Thai territory against the Vietnamese in Western Cambodia.

Back on topic: this is just more head in the sand, 'you no unnerstan Thailand you no Thai', belligerant nonsense from the colossal windbag that is General Prayuth Chan-ocha

Yet again you whine about rules, rules, rules . . . when it suits you. I enjoy the odd bit of banter with you but you really must stop believing you can have your cake and eat it, too.

• Like 1

Get wiser and include yourself in that list