Quick Question For Those Of You In The Know..

I am getting a little bit of money sent from Britain. Two months ago I would of got 50,000 more Baht for my money. I cant really afford to hold on to it for too long.

Should I hold on to it and see if it goes back up any time soon?

Should I cash it in now?

say........

~ 20,000 pounds worth.

at 47 baht = 940,000

at 44.5 baht = 890,000

= loss 50,000

= loss 5%

It would be nice at least for it to go back to 45, but if you can't afford to hold on to it for long...

There was a moment last year when the return would have been 1 million, so that's a 10% loss but spilled milk and all that.

Don't wait

I am opposite to you

I want it at 40 or lower

Same here I need to change 300 k into Gbp its got to be changed within 6 weeks 40 would do me nicely ,I'm already £700 up comparing to when it was around 50 to the £
  • Like 1

Yep agreed, I have a few million after property sale. Have been waiting a while but still around just over 45.

I'll wait a while longer as cash in Bangkok bank account fixed a 4 months. I think just over 2 months left.

Here's hoping for 39!!! (Or less)!

Just a personal point of view, cash in now before it hits 40 baht to the pommie peso.

Time aint on your side, bird in the hand etc etc.

GBP has stabilized against baht in last month or so, and is more likely to strengthen more than drop further. The drop is over.

I actually sent money back to UK a few weeks ago, as I can bring back to Thailand when the rate is back to 50 or so. It's dropped enough over the last couple of months to make it a low-risk bet. I might be wrong, but all or most of the fall is done.

Edited by davejones

OP has gbp to change to baht. Others have baht they wish to exchange to gbp. Why don't you get together and make a swap? By cutting the "middleman" out of the loop, each of you stands to improve your exchange rate by about 2%. I used to do this in Japan with good results, swapping yen for USD.

OP has gbp to change to baht. Others have baht they wish to exchange to gbp. Why don't you get together and make a swap? By cutting the "middleman" out of the loop, each of you stands to improve your exchange rate by about 2%. I used to do this in Japan with good results, swapping yen for USD.

That's a good idea, but usually the GBP will be in a UK bank, and the baht in a Thai bank. So there's no easy way to exchange it. For me it's much safer and much more convenient to exchange at the bank. It's worth paying a little for that.

That's a good idea, but usually the GBP will be in a UK bank, and the baht in a Thai bank. So there's no easy way to exchange it. For me it's much safer and much more convenient to exchange at the bank. It's worth paying a little for that.

It's called internet banking

Uk bank to UK bank

Thai bank to Thai bank

If you don't trust each other, do it in a series of small transfers.

I do it with Americans I meet all the time.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican