Thailand's O T O P Trading Value Grows 80% In A Decade

webfact

OTOP trading value grows 80% in a decade
By English News

1365138012332.jpg

BANGKOK, April 5 – The sales volume of Thailand’s grassroots products, valued at over Bt100 billion last year, has surged more than 80 per cent since the inception of the project in 2002, the commerce minister said today.

Boonsong Teriyapirom said the Commerce Ministry predicted the trading value of merchandise from the government-initiated One Tambon One Product (OTOP) project to double in the next five years.

OTOP goods currently represent 10-20 per cent of the country’s total exports.

The ministry today signed an agreement with the Thai Retailers Association to expand retailing channels for OTOP products, more of which will consequently be available at leading department stores nationwide.

Mr Boonsong said the OTOP project is one of the government’s significant policies in supporting grassroots industries and upgrading them to small- and medium-scale enterprises.

The goal is to boost and improve community production of grassroots merchandise to be recognised in domestic and international markets, he said.

He said major retailers in Thailand have extended cooperation and advised small- and medium-sized manufacturers on trading channels. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-05

• Like 1

I went to an OTOP village 'factory' up country a couple of years ago. It kept about 20 of the villagers employed. They were polishing a kind of nut, drilling holes in them and making all sorts of necklaces, bracelets, string blinds and other stuff - really impressive.

And the guy who owned the place was making a fortune and planning to employ more people.

Edit: Found some pics:

post-35489-0-13359600-1365141753_thumb.j post-35489-0-30240800-1365141779_thumb.j post-35489-0-18418800-1365141806_thumb.j post-35489-0-37163400-1365141826_thumb.j

post-35489-0-87497000-1365141843_thumb.j post-35489-0-24467700-1365141863_thumb.j post-35489-0-55275600-1365141886_thumb.j

post-35489-0-64720200-1365142653_thumb.j post-35489-0-58096500-1365142678_thumb.j post-35489-0-77343700-1365142696_thumb.j

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

Few could argue that this wasn't one of the best things to come from the Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai days.

I hate to break it to you, but the whole system is a copied from Japan! whistling.gif

Doesn't make it a not good idea. But it was not one of Mr T's.

• Like 1

You just have to love the way, politicians here are throwing around numbers!

Thailands total exportvalue is around 7 trillion baht/year, so the export value of otop, if 10-20%, should be 0,7-1.4 trillion baht. I someones dreams! coffee1.gif I personally doubt, that the 100 billion is correct, but IF it is, it a far way of the 10-20% of the total exportvalue! On the other hand, who cares??

I like the OTOP products, locally (Chanthaburi) they have a big display from all the provincial ones next month at the week-long durian/fruit festival, and there's a two amphur OTOPS not far from us, good scheme (and I don't care if it was copied from Japan!)

• Like 1

i like the otop products. always good for a gift that you can bring back from a trip to the provinces or presents to take abroad.

good to hear that they are doing well.

This is such a scam. They buy the products for dirt cheap from villagers, wrap them in plastic and sell them in boutique shops for 20x what they paid for them.

Also 80% is a bit crap, since inflation has surged at least that much in many parts of Thailand.

^ well no; the two we have seen here, plus one in previous province, the workshops were open to view, could watch the products being made.

Actually there's a third one locally, weaving, and again open to public that's part of the sales pitch you can watch them weaving on the old-style looms.

On Highway 317 heading north in Sa Kaeo province there's a big joinery/furniture one, near Wang Nam Yen workshops open to view, and they load up and go 'on tour' selling at markets. we made a trip there with pickup a few years ago, solid/quality items that will last for years.

Few could argue that this wasn't one of the best things to come from the Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai days.

I hate to break it to you, but the whole system is a copied from Japan! whistling.gif

Doesn't make it a not good idea. But it was not one of Mr T's.

Whether it was copied or not is besides the point. The fact that it was implemented and has helped many 1,000s is all that matters. Give credit where credit is due.

There are plenty of other good ideas that could be copied from one nation by another, but aren't.

• Like 1

In part it is a scam - but not a scam of the idea - just a scam so the department stores can make a tidy profit. The local skills are valid and the scheme does provide worthwhile jobs - more than I can say the handout culture of the West does. So the moral of the story is not to buy in the overpriced department store but save yourself a little and support the market stall holder selling precisely the same product at a discount. Of course maybe you need the aircon in Central to shop more than 5 minutes but then that is another argument.