What Did You After You Lost Your Job / Resigned From Your Job?

After losing my job I retired. Happily. I have always hated work of any type.

But anyone in the West now over about the age of 45 lived in a unique time of great career opportunities and global economic expansion that will never be seen again so it was easy for us.

Yes indeed! You didn't seem to have to put much effort into anything not so long ago

and people didn't care less in business about spending money and cost-cutting.

I can remember at the first job I got in Sydney the boss would take

every office staff member out to lunch every Friday and very rarely would people go back to work because they were too sloshed! So essentially we were working four a half days a week. Unbelievable!

But anyone in the West now over about the age of 45 lived in a unique time of great career opportunities and global economic expansion that will never be seen again so it was easy for us.

Global expansion as great as what over 45s saw in the West will definitely happen again. It is already happening in Asia. There is no evidence that global expansion is slowing down (discounting recessions, which are cyclical in nature). Chinese growth has been 8-10% pa annum for decades. That is much better than the West achieved. And China is bigger than the West. So I disagree with your assertion. But I do agree that those of us over 45 lived through great economic times. Definitely not over though, I earn more now than I ever did.

Yes indeed! You didn't seem to have to put much effort into anything not so long ago

every office staff member out to lunch every Friday and very rarely would people go back to work because they were too sloshed! So essentially we were working four a half days a week. Unbelievable!

Still goes on. At Google, people only work for 4 days and have the 5th for their own projects. So not so unbelievable. More a consequence of how well company is doing and what type of manager you have. Also, people tend to do the same amount of work, but do it more quickly. So you can work 4 days and do the same amount of work as the same person working 5 days. This is a known phenomenon.

• Like 1

Still goes on. At Google, people only work for 4 days and have the 5th for their own projects. So not so unbelievable. More a consequence of how well company is doing and what type of manager you have. Also, people tend to do the same amount of work, but do it more quickly. So you can work 4 days and do the same amount of work as the same person working 5 days. This is a known phenomenon.
yes, but people didn't care whether the company was running efficiently or not then because your money was automatically making even more money for you particularly in the real estate boom. Because there was such a big differential between the relatively low interest rates and the high inflation rate which was driving up Sydney property prices to obscene levels. You could have had a boozy lunch every day of the week and still made money. Different times different conditions.

yes, but people didn't care whether the company was running efficiently or not then because your money was automatically making even more money for you particularly in the real estate boom. Because there was such a big differential between the relatively low interest rates and the high inflation rate which was driving up Sydney property prices to obscene levels. You could have had a boozy lunch every day of the week and still made money. Different times different conditions.

Might have been true for your company, but every company I worked for cared about the bottom line. Yes, they wasted some money, but so do companies these days. I don't see any difference in the companies I worked for or the ones people work for these day. I still know companies where it's the norm to have boozy lunch sessions. It's more about company (and maybe national) culture than economic times. Western economies are close to their all-time historical highs. People have more wealth than at almost any time in history. Times are still good for most. Australia has also done very well in recent years, so what you say doesn't make too much sense to me. Maybe it was just the culture of your team/company.

Current job due to end by the end of April. Already booked flights to HK and BKK for a 1 month trip. Will resume trading, which I did for about 4 years, when I get back.

whistling.gif I sincerely hope that if you are working here in Thailand with a work permit the FIRST thing you must do is to make plans to leave Thailand and get a new visa.

Because if you have been working here legally you must leave Thailand immeadiately after you quit or are fired.

Yiu are on overstay as soon as your work permit is turned in.

You MAY be able to get 7 days to leave Thailand, but this is NOT gaurenteed.

So. if you plan to quit your job, or expect to be terminated/fired, be prepared to leave for a neighboring country and get at least a tourist visa immeadiately.

Because from the first day you will be accumalating overstay fines.

Once you have a legal visa and come back to Thailand, then you have time to deal with what you're going to do next.

But first, get that new visa.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Came here 33 years ago with International Company for 15 years I worked and saved and then took early retirement with a lump sum - invested in building a resort and half way through the bottom fell out of the Thai currency, I finally one year later managed to sell it and recoup 10% of my investment. Did nothing for a year and was finally persuaded to start teaching in Government Universities. Not completely satisfied I continued teaching and at the same time opened and sold, opened and sold a few small businesses each making a small profit. Six months ago and well past the retirement age I finally retired from teaching, only to continue managing my latest small business - people say that I was lucky, no luck just hard work, a quick mind and a profit! Have a nice Songkran

My job became redundant at the end of 2009-Brit Company, Management position travel etc. 61 yo so I guessed I was due R&R much of which was spent in HKG,Thailand and Oz. The summer of 2010 was good in the UK so time for digging the garden in the sun. Then the phone rang so back to work. When I lost my previous jb there were certainly no tears, I could not believe just how stressed I was until it was all over. Now I have a young boss to take the strain, not such a senior job but reduced stress levels, very nearly the same pay as with the UK company, lower BP, a lovely g/f and pretty much an open ended contract. It's helped a lot having a young sales team, that in a way has kept me younger. Here's to the next two years and pension time!

My job became redundant at the end of 2009-Brit Company, Management position travel etc. 61 yo so I guessed I was due R&R much of which was spent in HKG,Thailand and Oz. The summer of 2010 was good in the UK so time for digging the garden in the sun. Then the phone rang so back to work. When I lost my previous jb there were certainly no tears, I could not believe just how stressed I was until it was all over. Now I have a young boss to take the strain, not such a senior job but reduced stress levels, very nearly the same pay as with the UK company, lower BP, a lovely g/f and pretty much an open ended contract. It's helped a lot having a young sales team, that in a way has kept me younger. Here's to the next two years and pension time!

Keep waiting, I've already got the bloody pension!

Indeed. I also hadn't realized how tightly wound I was until after I stopped working.