Angel City Diners On Sukhumvit Soi 11

One West Coast American: mayo on one bun, and mustard on the other...

For me, mayo adds a quite nice flavor to the basic hamburger, whether cooked at home or in a restaurant.

Perfecto!!! Lived most of my life in LA and SF. That's what a burger is. And, preferably, Grey Poupon as

the mustard. Ketchup is such an overrated condiment.

Monsoon has Dijon mustard on offer, but I think Firehouse is the best overall burger.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

You talking about Firehouse?? If so, I'd agree. I tried there once with the wife, had terrible service and mediocre food on a Sunday early afternoon, and won't be going back.

As for ACD, my experience with their burger bun was a first-time, one-time thing, just to be clear. And I do intend to try another of their burgers next time. But my impression was, that it just wasn't a very good bun they were using -- not that it was a good bun that might have been left sitting too long. I guess I'll find out next time.

But otherwise, everything else about their burger was good, and the breakfast burrito I had there the day before was really good, as have been the couple of their Thai menu entrees I've had, and their milkshakes too.

Next time I may try their chili burger and then a side of their tater-tot chili fries. smile.png

I have yet to find anyplace I like more than Firehouse for a burger, All are patted and made to order so no setting on the grill for a while. I will try ACD, but it need to rise aways to compare to my favorite. I have always had great service and excellant foo. You may have hit an off day like anyplace can have.

Forgot the name now, but this place at All Seasons place, 2nd fl I think, does good burgers.

All this talk of food making me miss Bangkok now. There is a restaurant about 20meters into soi rangnam from ratchprarop road, on the right. Amazing what they do with sea foods. I ate there every day for two weeks, during my let visit. Guides bring buses of clients sometimes. Prices are very ok, considering that I live in Abuja, it was all cheap for me. It's the one with aluminum railings and lots of seatings.

Worth a try if you play in the area.

Just had dinner with the kid at Angel City.

I had the french dip, which has always been a favourite comfort food of mine.

While it may not be anywhere near the best french dip i have ever had, it is the ONLY one i have ever seen on a menu in Thailand (in 15 or so years).

I enjoyed it thoroughly and will be back next time im hungover.

the 99 bat kids menu was good, and when they slathered the kids pancake with syrup -- which she does not like -- they remade the pancake without a complaint.

Place was dead, but billie holiday and miles davis on the juke box made the mood for this this somewhat grey and rainy saturday.

will be back. great decor, hope it survives

Edited by candypants

Stopped in here the weekend before last with my wife and son. Not too far from where I live so we walked. Almost nobody there except a couple of older farang with Thai partners. I would say 3 tables occupied in total. So my first advice would be to try this sooner rather than later as the business case looks tenuous.

Food was ok. I definitely know better places, but they made a good stab at it. My wife had an omelette. My son had a ham and cheese sandwich. I had eggs. All ok but not so great. I can see that for real yankophiles that this may be manna from heaven, but for me the food was a bit tasteless. The fries were good. The cheese is that Amercan waxy stuff with no real taste (I am American, but have lived all over, so American cheese horrifies me).

There are probably some things you can only get from here, so for those missing home, it is probably a must visit. I far prefer Coffee Alley right next to the Citadines on Soi 16 (I drive there). Or the German Beer House on Soi 11.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, great music. They had James Brown on the whole time I was there. His older stuff.

Edited by ianguygil

Stopped in here the weekend before last with my wife and son. Not too far from where I live so we walked. Almost nobody there except a couple of older farang with Thai partners. I would say 3 tables occupied in total. So my first advice would be to try this sooner rather than later as the business case looks tenuous.

Food was ok. I definitely know better places, but they made a good stab at it. My wife had an omelette. My son had a ham and cheese sandwich. I had eggs. All ok but not so great. I can see that for real yankophiles that this may be manna from heaven, but for me the food was a bit tasteless. The fries were good. The cheese is that Amercan waxy stuff with no real taste (I am American, but have lived all over, so American cheese horrifies me).

There are probably some things you can only get from here, so for those missing home, it is probably a must visit. I far prefer Coffee Alley right next to the Citadines on Soi 16 (I drive there). Or the German Beer House on Soi 11.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, great music. They had James Brown on the whole time I was there. His older stuff.

Yankophileslaugh.png you guys know so little about the US.....

Now a good SOUTHERN restaurant is what we need in LOS, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, fried okra...licklips.gif

Yankophileslaugh.png you guys know so little about the US.....

Now a good SOUTHERN restaurant is what we need in LOS, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, fried okra...licklips.gif

Well, as I said I am American, while having lived in many other places. I prefer to use slang understood by the masses. But I can call it Bubba Land if you want me toclap2.gif

I thought Bourbon Street had all that heart stopping fat stuff, fatback bacon and lard lard and lard........... Personally that stuff is not quite my cup of tea...oops, I mean not my thing, sorry. wai2.gif

I haven't tried the standard egg breakfasts at ACD.

But as an American, the breakfast burrito there is terrific eating with big chunks of avocado inside, and the peanut butter and jelly french toast is a guilty pleasure for sure.

On top of that, they have a menu of standard Thai dishes that run 70 to 90 baht apiece, which is a great deal and are quite well done if one or one's partner enjoys larb, nam tok, pad thai, etc etc.

And their milk shakes, albeit 120 baht or so, are quite good. They also serve complimentary (free) and refilled glasses of ice water for customers, which is a nice touch.

But I do agree, every time I've been there at different hours and days, the customer turnout has been sparse... Maybe because they're relatively new. Maybe because they're pretty close to the far end of the soi. Maybe because the menu (in addition to the house jukebox music) really is American focused. And perhaps it's a style that the Continentals tongue.png just don't appreciate.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 2 weeks later...

I went here again this morning for an 8 am breakfast meeting with a vendor from Australia. As we pulled in to the lot for this "Prime" condo the guard on the gate told my driver that the restaurant does not open until 9 am. He was clear that it was closed. I told him in Thai that this place says that it is open 24 hours a day, but he insisted.

I got my driver to park around the side and I tried to get hold of the guy I was supposed to meet. I stood in front of the restaurant. About 2 mins later the guy I was supposed ot meet walked out of the restaurant. He told me that he had been waiting in there about 15 minutes (I was on time). I asked them when they open. They said "talodt wela" or all hours. So I have no idea what this guard was going on about.

Breakfast was just ok. It just so happened that this was the easiest place for me to meet this guy between my home and the meeting I had this morning with YAMMER.

So the point of this post is, don't believe the guard. Go there if you are up for average food. But it is a good place to meet as it is quiet. We were the only 2 customers.

Edited by ianguygil

There have been lots of review posts on various websites that have referred to ACD as a 24 hour diner...

I've asked the staff there several different times, and different staff, about their operating hours. And every time have been told they're NOT operating 24 hours...

The best answer I got from their staff, and repeated to my wife in Thai, was that they're opening at 8 am and closing like 3 am or so.

However, I also haven't been standing outside their doors from 3 am to 8 am to see what is or isn't going on there.

Had a very good late morning breakfast there the other day...

Chocolate-banana pancakes for me and larb moo for the wife:

post-58284-0-34176100-1369985548_thumb.j post-58284-0-12981700-1369985549_thumb.j

have eaten there a few times now, and found the food and service inconsistent.

Last saturday there were about 5 tables seated. the french dip, ordered on recommendation from one of the posters above decent the first time around arrived and someone had neglected to brown the brown and serve roll.

after over a decade in the kingdom, i still laugh at the inability of staff in restaurants of all varieties to comprehend the complexities of toast.

guy at the table across from me got a burger that was raw (not rare) in the middle.

Edited by joeaverage

There have been lots of review posts on various websites that have referred to ACD as a 24 hour diner...

I've asked the staff there several different times, and different staff, about their operating hours. And every time have been told they're NOT operating 24 hours...

The best answer I got from their staff, and repeated to my wife in Thai, was that they're opening at 8 am and closing like 3 am or so.

However, I also haven't been standing outside their doors from 3 am to 8 am to see what is or isn't going on there.

Had a very good late morning breakfast there the other day...

Chocolate-banana pancakes for me and larb moo for the wife:

attachicon.gif2013-05-25 13.57.01.jpg attachicon.gif2013-05-25 13.57.08.jpg

i bet i can guess which one of you is the skinny one

Everyone's entitled to a bit of guilty pleasure now and again...

After all, there aren't many places around BKK that I know of that have chocolate-banana pancakes on the menu. And there aren't a whole lot of IHOPs (International House of Pancakes) in the vicinity. laugh.png

As I said when I asked them in Thai (I can speak and read) they said "all the time" when I asked when they are open.

But when I search their TWITTER feed says 08:30 - 04:30. But that is not right as my friend went in there today at well before 08:00 (I was right on time and he had been in there more than 15 mins).

Their website says "All-Day Diner"

Who knows. More importantly given the food, who cares.

Even better, their Facebook page says:

Hours Mon - Sun: 6:00 pm - 7:00 am

I have NO idea what that's supposed to mean... other than it's no more accurate than all the other hour references.

Another part of their Facebook page, which apparently hasn't been updated since their original soft opening, says:

We will be open from 6pm-3am everyday with expanding hours of operation coming soon.

Thereafter, at the restaurant, they had signs up saying they were NOW open for breakfast. So apparently they added their breakfast hours later.

post-58284-0-95242100-1369992123_thumb.j

As for their food, FWIW, the breakfast burrito and the PB&J french toast I had there (not on the same daytongue.png ) was very good, the chocolate banana pancakes were pretty good, and the regular hamburger I had was marginal, mainly because of a pretty poor bun they used that day. All the various Thai dishes we've had have been quite good.

So overall, for our half dozen or so visits there thus far, I'd give them a pretty good grade for diner food. Other than the hamburger bun issue I mentioned, we haven't run into anything else that I'd call substandard or poorly done.

But if anyone has other suggestions for better American-type breakfast choices in the comparable +-200b per entree item, feel free...

Maybe this is unrelated..but kind of since we are talking about burgers here.. but there is a place called Fatty's Bar & Diner (Not much of a "diner" atmosphere ...but anyway you can search for their FB page)

Well this place has a different atmosphere but if you're looking for a good burger I would like to recommend one of theirs and the price is around 160 baht ..comes w/ fries as well

Also I noticed some guy ordered fish & chips there, it looks really good too(I didn't try it)

They also have other American dishes -- I wanna go back soon but they're only open in the evening/night so sometimes it isn't so convenient for me :(

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, on my most recent visit, I was surprised about that. We went for lunch about 1 pm on Sunday, and when we arrived, there probably were a half dozen other tables occupied.

Not at all "busy" in terms of the size and potential occupancy of the place, but more customers than I've seen for a daytime visit at any time in the past.

• Like 1

I think the 60's theme, and the antiseptic feel of the place works against it in Bangkok. I think it would have been a much better fit in Chang Mai.

It's all about demographics in my IMHO. Think.. The Dukes

Maybe this is unrelated..but kind of since we are talking about burgers here.. but there is a place called Fatty's Bar & Diner (Not much of a "diner" atmosphere ...but anyway you can search for their FB page)

Well this place has a different atmosphere but if you're looking for a good burger I would like to recommend one of theirs and the price is around 160 baht ..comes w/ fries as well

Also I noticed some guy ordered fish & chips there, it looks really good too(I didn't try it)

They also have other American dishes -- I wanna go back soon but they're only open in the evening/night so sometimes it isn't so convenient for me sad.png

Fatty's is the best place for American comfort food bar none. It's cheap and everything that I've tried has been very tasty.

ACD is also very good but like someone else mentioned the food is very inconsistant, which seems to be typical with a lot of western food joints. I will give them props for their shakes, though. As much as Thai's love sweet things, especially ice cream I've always had a hard time finding a good milkshake here but not anymore. A plate of burger and fries and a cold chocolate shake to wash it down = heaven. I'm not sure if this place has staying power with Firehouse right around the corner (cheaper and better food) but I will keep going back as long as it's open.

I think the 60's theme, and the antiseptic feel of the place works against it in Bangkok. I think it would have been a much better fit in Chang Mai.

It's all about demographics in my IMHO. Think.. The Dukes

I'm not a big fan of the American 50s/60s diner motif... even though it was part of my childhood.

I don't care for it much at ACD, nor equally so at its predecessor and sister restaurant nearby, the V8 Diner.

But I do like the menu and a lot of the food at ACD, as well as the chocolate milkshakes.

Dunno what ice cream they're using or what their secret it, but the resulting milkshake is REALLY good.

Every time we go now, my Thai wife insists on ordering one of their chocolate milkshakes. And I'd never seen her drink/order or pay the slightest attention to the idea of having one anywhere else previously.

I guess depending on who's behind the counter, they tend to come out a bit different. One time, our order came with small white chocolate chips mixed in. Another time it looked like the preparer had added some chocolate syrup. Other times, there hasn't been any sign of either. But every time, the milkshake has come out silky smooth, deliciously chocolatey and sweet, and very refreshing. Yum!

Ive never seen anybody actually eat there, walk by it every day at least once.

Do you own a yellow atm ?

As for burger quality, they do not include beetroot so it is not a burger and not worthy of consideration.

• Like 1

I wouldn't EVER eat anywhere that serves a beetroot and meat sandwich....

I wouldn't even deign to call that concoction a "hamburger." bah.gif

I'm American and I like an Ozzie-burger from time to time. There is nothing wrong with picked beet on some good ground beef.

I am definitely not talking McDonalds. Nor Carl's Jr. I'm talking good home cooking, backyard BBQ, great American burgers. With over 5 decades enjoying this treat, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anyone who make it that way. Nevertheless, it's your call to say "hold the mayo". To each his own.

Not in my experience. Could be a regional thing.

Condiments on burgers (especially the addition of mayo and mustard) will vary by region in the US. I remember being disgusted by burgers in the South when I was a kid because of the addition of mayo – though now I quite like it on higher quality burgers.

I second giving ACD a try if you like US diner food (I am not a fan of V8, but do like ACD). For burgers specifically, keep walking until you reach Firehouse.