Fidel Castro Asks North Korea To Avoid War

webfact

Fidel Castro asks North Korea to avoid war

HAVANA: -- Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro called Friday for long-time ally North Korea and the United States to avoid hostilities on the Korean Peninsula.

"If war breaks out there, the peoples of both parts of the peninsula will be terribly sacrificed, without benefit to all or either of them," he said in a column published in Cuban state media.

"Now that (North Korea) has demonstrated its technical and scientific achievements, we remind her of her duties to the countries which have been her great friends, and it would be unjust to forget that such a war would particularly affect more than 70 per cent of the population of the planet."

Castro, 86, reminded the US of its duty to avoid a clash, amid mounting tensions this year between North and South Korea.

"If a conflict of that nature should break out there, the government of Barack Obama in his second mandate would be buried in a deluge of images which would present him as the most sinister character in the history of the United States," Castro said. "The duty of avoiding war is also his and that of the people of the United States."

Cuba is one of the last remaining allies of the communist government in Pyongyang.

"The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea was always friendly with Cuba, as Cuba has always been and will continue to be with her," Castro wrote. "I had the honour of meeting Kim Il-sung, a historic figure, notably courageous and revolutionary."

Kim Il-sung was the founder of North Korea and grandfather of Kim Jong Un, the new leader of the reclusive Pyongyang regime.

Tension ratcheted up this week on the peninsula, as North Korea has threatened nuclear strikes and moved missiles, with the South and the US positioning missile defenses in response.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-06

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certain Castro has a vivid memory of the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962 when Soviet leader Nikita Krushechev tried to put his missiles in Cuba, missiles that could hit 90% of the United States. Pres Kennedy took the U.S. military worldwide to DEFCON 2 (Defense Condition). DEFCON 5 means situation normal; DEFCON 1 means everyone starts pushing all the red buttons. It was the most dangerous moment in world history so everyone got a close shave, Castro especially as Moscow left him out on the limb he'd crawled onto.

Castro now is old and dying but I'd make a wager he remembers the time, the moment, as if it were yesterday. With age the number one determinant in N and S Korean society, Kim Jong Un is the exception, but then Kim doesn't need to listen to anyone. Yes, Kim would be wise to consider Castro's statement to him.

I think he also understands that if anything was to happen, he would be involved one way or another.

NK allies would kind of need to help( i am sure they have some agreements) and NK actions at this time do not achieve or prove anything other than ego driven funny looking little man bravada

I'm certain Castro has a vivid memory of the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962 when Soviet leader Nikita Krushechev tried to put his missiles in Cuba, missiles that could hit 90% of the United States. Pres Kennedy took the U.S. military worldwide to DEFCON 2 (Defense Condition). DEFCON 5 means situation normal; DEFCON 1 means everyone starts pushing all the red buttons. It was the most dangerous moment in world history so everyone got a close shave, Castro especially as Moscow left him out on the limb he'd crawled onto.

Castro now is old and dying but I'd make a wager he remembers the time, the moment, as if it were yesterday. With age the number one determinant in N and S Korean society, Kim Jong Un is the exception, but then Kim doesn't need to listen to anyone. Yes, Kim would be wise to consider Castro's statement to him.

I think he also understands that if anything was to happen, he would be involved one way or another.

NK allies would kind of need to help( i am sure they have some agreements) and NK actions at this time do not achieve or prove anything other than ego driven funny looking little man bravado

Who are N Korea's allies? Beijing doesn't want anything to do with Kim and gang. Beijing and N Korea haven't been even de facto allies for a good period of years, drifting apart to the point there now is a schism. Allies? If Castro isn't a N Korean ally, then no one is, and Castro is only trying to give a word from the wise about this nuclearmania in Pyongyang..

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

he should listen and listen good to Castro as he has done his apprentship and is still alive to impart some good advise to the boy, especially on how to have 1 leg on either side of a barb wire fence and not lose your balls....

• Like 2

NK allies would kind of need to help( i am sure they have some agreements) and NK actions at this time do not achieve or prove anything other than ego driven funny looking little man bravado

Who are N Korea's allies? Beijing doesn't want anything to do with Kim and gang. Beijing and N Korea haven't been even de facto allies for a good period of years, drifting apart to the point there now is a schism. Allies? If Castro isn't a N Korean ally, then no one is, and Castro is only trying to give a word from the wise about this nuclearmania in Pyongyang..

I am not on NK staff, so could not tell you what packs they have and what agreements, but rest assured they do

Let's take a look at possible friends of NK--and in some cases, they are not really friends, just enemies of the US.

Myanmar--probably not anymore since they have moved in a different direction.

Iran--Maybe, but probably not likely to break a fingernail helping NK. They want a bit of technology and stuff that's hard to get, but I doubt they consider themself a real friend.

Venezuela--Maybe, but with the death of it's former leader, probably not likely to go very far out on a limb.

Am I missing anyone?

Wasn't this the best thing that could happen to Castro, because part of the package that made the Russians remove their missiles was the guarantee that the US would leave him in peace for good? Anyway, I watched the movie about that crisis a couple of times, the one with Kevin Costner. It was all about Kruchev 'communicating' with Kennedy by odd means. Maybe this time some communication is also going on, in plain view but we don't understand it? Maybe Obama signaled earlier, 'Un, I need a reason to build up military strenght in the Pazific because I'm not comfortable with the Chinese. Can you make some noise? In return, we leave you in peace as long as you live'.

Let's take a look at possible friends of NK--and in some cases, they are not really friends, just enemies of the US.

Myanmar--probably not anymore since they have moved in a different direction.

Iran--Maybe, but probably not likely to break a fingernail helping NK. They want a bit of technology and stuff that's hard to get, but I doubt they consider themself a real friend.

Venezuela--Maybe, but with the death of it's former leader, probably not likely to go very far out on a limb.

Am I missing anyone?

Yes, Pakistan initially provided some of the technology to develop nuclear weapons, although it's alleged the main person/department involved was doing so without government authority. I believe Pakistan & North Korea still have diplomatic and trade relations.

Yes, it's interesting. Cuba would have been wiped out in a heart beat, if Castro had been successful in allowing the USSR to import all the war heads etc and something had happened. Now N. Korea is in the same situation, except they can only damage neighbouring countries like South Korea and Japan, not the US. Kim Jong Un can flatten much of Seoul with his conventional artillery but the US would wipe out nearly all of his command and control centres within a few days, leaving him with a million man army with no command structure and no leadership, food or ammunition supply. He would be killed, himself, too in the first few days either by the bombardment or his own troops.

It would be quite easy to relieve tensions in the area,if the USA ceased military exercises in SK,relieved some of the sanctions strangling the N.Koreans and give this young,man Kim Jong Un time to think and reassess.

Number one he is a young man,with tremendous responsibility that he needs time to adjust to.

As we all know when young we don't always make the wisest of decisions.

What would be the point of destroying,NK and creating disharmony with all the nations involved.

• Like 1

Castro may well be the voice of North Korea's allies who have no desire to become involved in a conflict.Castro's words are indeed wise ones.

All words that support a no aggression situation no matter who may utter them should be heard by North Korea and hopefully acted upon.

Very easy for one small group of privileged self protective self serving people to pass a death sentence on millions.

Even one voice of sanity in the wilderness of hostility is a welcome sound to all those innocents who are involved without their consent.

+1

It would be quite easy to relieve tensions in the area,if the USA ceased military exercises in SK,relieved some of the sanctions strangling the N.Koreans and give this young,man Kim Jong Un time to think and reassess.

Number one he is a young man,with tremendous responsibility that he needs time to adjust to.

What would be the point of destroying,NK and creating disharmony with all the nations involved.

You're trying to apply logic to an illogical person.

The NK's are like bullys, They use Nukes to extort concessions our of the SKs and the US.

With the bully's i know, you give in to the bullys and they own you, and they get more brazen.

one last thought

If Fidel tells you that you're being a hothead, you might just want to take a quick look in the mirror!whistling.gif

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

You're trying to apply logic to an illogical person.

The NK's are like bullys, They use Nukes to extort concessions our of the SKs and the US.

With the bully's i know, you give in to the bullys and they own you, and they get more brazen.

one last thought

If Fidel tells you that you're being a hothead, you might just want to take a quick look in the mirror!whistling.gif

I agree jamhar. He doesn't need time to reassess. He needs a beating.

• Like 2

One could say that NK just shows the same kind of reaction like the US showed back the days.

The Russians in Cuba is not much different from having the American around Korea.

• Like 2

Well, actually it is quite different. If South Korea wants the US out of the country and wants to cancel the military alliances, it is capable of doing so. The same with Japan and Taiwan for that matter.

• Like 2

Well, actually it is quite different. If South Korea wants the US out of the country and wants to cancel the military alliances, it is capable of doing so. The same with Japan and Taiwan for that matter.

And what would be if NK would hold some military exercises with their friends in Cuba. The USA would go DEFCON2 again. nothing else we hear from NK.

for the sake of world peace the Russian left Cuba.

• Like 1

And what would be if NK would hold some military exercises with their friends in Cuba. The USA would go DEFCON2 again. nothing else we hear from NK.

for the sake of world peace the Russian left Cuba.

In the first place the two nations would have to scrape up the necessary funds to meet somewhere and have joint military exercises.

Hey, if they can do that, let 'em get after it.

The US and South Korea have been having joint exercises for years. They didn't exactly reinvent the wheel this time around.

• Like 1