Big Fire On Sukhumvit 22 Bangkok

webfact

RT @191Thailand: Soi Charoensuk is a dead end road. Many narrow alleys in that area. Fire trucks cannot get close to the fire.

Well that's handy. rolleyes.gif

Let's hope everyone was able to get away in time, and perhaps all future buildings will be built where there is access by fire engines.

Don't hold your breath.....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do they have fire fighting equipped helicopters in Thailand? Seems like that would be the ticket.

Even f they do, a close plentiful water supply is not nearby. The pond at the park on Sukhumvit and the Queen Convention Center are inadequate.

Do they have fire fighting equipped helicopters in Thailand? Seems like that would be the ticket.

Even f they do, a close plentiful water supply is not nearby. The pond at the park on Sukhumvit and the Queen Convention Center are inadequate.

The river isn't too far away.

If the fire fighters can not get near, perhaps they should do what they do when fighting forest fires and try and extinguish the fire from the air?

No.

The number of structures and the heat currents make such an option impossible.

The Bangkok fire department does have fire trucks able to enter small sois. The problem is that the cars and vendors block the sois so trucks cannot enter.

This fire is not overly significant as the Bangkok fire department knows how to knock down and contain this type of conflaguration.

May God bless, and Buddha bless everyone touched by this, everyone involved in this, and everyone effected by this. I am getting sick of seeing

hardship placed upon those that can least afford hardship to happen. I am not Thai, but my wife is, my family is, my son and daughter are, and

I for one see all of thailand as my family. I am sick of the hardship, I am sick of the pain, I am sick of the attitudes of the top 10% who dont give a damn. Look after your people mother Thailand, and they will look after you, but forget them, and they shall seperate, never giving mother Thailand a chance to reconciliate, or work as one. God bless you all.

• Like 1

I live in the Aueamornsuk Apts.right next to where the fire was burning. We had to leave the building as the flames in

the next house were already three stories high. Screaming and yelling over eight floors and people were headed down the stairs to the entrance. In these two Apt. Buildings construction is going on for more than a year. Hence the entrance is blocked with shiploads of plywood, gas and oxygen canisters. If there would be a fire at the entrance with wooden wall panels, no one could escape from the building as there is only one entrance. When I mentioned this to the owner, he was not impressed and shrug me off. The guy is filthy rich and probably thinks if half of my tenants die in a fire, I pay for the body bags.

Just curious why you think they were oxygen canisters? There for what purpose? Perhaps you are wrong about that.

That statement about the property owner is despicable. I guess it is acceptable if it was from an ignorant farang. Quite the neighborhood you live in. Average rent is what, 3000 baht/month?

BTW, your choice of the pig avatar is quite revealing.

Edited by metisdead
Large font resized to normal
  • Like 2

I live in the Aueamornsuk Apts.right next to where the fire was burning. We had to leave the building as the flames in

the next house were already three stories high. Screaming and yelling over eight floors and people were headed down the stairs to the entrance. In these two Apt. Buildings construction is going on for more than a year. Hence the entrance is blocked with shiploads of plywood, gas and oxygen canisters. If there would be a fire at the entrance with wooden wall panels, no one could escape from the building as there is only one entrance. When I mentioned this to the owner, he was not impressed and shrug me off. The guy is filthy rich and probably thinks if half of my tenants die in a fire, I pay for the body bags.

Just curious why you think they were oxygen canisters? There for what purpose? Perhaps you are wrong about that.

That statement about the property owner is despicable. I guess it is acceptable if it was from an ignorant farang. Quite the neighborhood you live in. Average rent is what, 3000 baht/month?

agree with aguy30 pretty lousy thing to say why did you still stay there if that was the case for so long allready

Don't want to get into a fight here, but my husband has previously talked about 'oxy' and oxygen tanks in a welding capacity. Not saying it's the same thing, but it sounds plausible to me. I have to say the rest of his post is fairly spot on, talking about blocked fire exits.

Yeah I got it. And arrogance just looks as such from below, right?

• Like 2

Don't want to get into a fight here, but my husband has previously talked about 'oxy' and oxygen tanks in a welding capacity. Not saying it's the same thing, but it sounds plausible to me. I have to say the rest of his post is fairly spot on, talking about blocked fire exits.

Oxy is oxyacetylene - not oxygen.

Oxygen & Acetylene are two totally separate gasses that are mixed for use in gas welding.

jb1

• Like 2

Oxygen & Acetylene are two totally separate gasses that are mixed for use in gas welding.

jb1

what colour canister are those then the orange ? oxygen is blue lpg grey or green

No access for fire engines, blocked entrances to buildings with combustible materials.

Apart from the access issues, from what I have witnessed myself in Thailand is the ignorant and selfish attitude of Thai drivers in not giving way to emergency vehicles.

You can understand foreign countries issuing travel warnings about Thailand coffee1.gif

• Like 1

jb1

what colour canister are those then the orange ? oxygen is blue lpg grey or green

Oxygen should be black if industrial and black with a white top if medical, acetylene is all over maroon.

• Like 1

jb1

The oxygen is in one tank and the acetylene in another. The gasses are connected to a torch and combined there. Can be used to weld or burn.

post-155756-0-21226400-1365234401_thumb.

Ummmm..........no. Oxyacetelene refers to the mixture of the 2 gases used for welding/cutting. 2 storage cylinders are used, the tall black one being oxygen, the squat red/maroon being the acetylene, the same colour coding used for the twin hoses, the mixing being done at the burner hand unit where it can be varied to suit the application.

Oxy could also be American slang for a highly addictive prescription painkiller, but probably not as mentioned here.

sorry should have done an update before duplicating other posts.

Edited by OzMick

May God bless, and Buddha bless everyone touched by this, everyone involved in this, and everyone effected by this. I am getting sick of seeing

hardship placed upon those that can least afford hardship to happen. I am not Thai, but my wife is, my family is, my son and daughter are, and

I for one see all of thailand as my family. I am sick of the hardship, I am sick of the pain, I am sick of the attitudes of the top 10% who dont give a damn. Look after your people mother Thailand, and they will look after you, but forget them, and they shall seperate, never giving mother Thailand a chance to reconciliate, or work as one. God bless you all.

Hey take a chill-pill Jack. Fires in densely populated areas happen in cities all across the World. This is not [or should I say not likely to be] a uniquely Thai thing.
  • Like 1

Ummmm..........no. Oxyacetelene refers to the mixture of the 2 gases used for welding/cutting. 2 storage cylinders are used, the tall black one being oxygen, the squat red/maroon being the acetylene, the same colour coding used for the twin hoses, the mixing being done at the burner hand unit where it can be varied to suit the application.

Oxy could also be American slang for a highly addictive prescription painkiller, but probably not as mentioned here.

sorry should have done an update before duplicating other posts.

One of the most dangerous things I see quite often is the acetylene cylinder lying on its side instead of standing and/or no flash arrester being used. So easy to get the flash back into the cylinder and cause a violent explosion.

jb1

Oxygen should be black if industrial and black with a white top if medical, acetylene is all over maroon.

That is correct and the thread on the Oxygen bottle where the gauge fixes is right hand and on the Acetylene bottle it is left hand.

jb1