Big Fire On Sukhumvit 22 Bangkok

webfact

I live in the Aueamornsuk Apts.right next to where the fire was burning. We had to leave the building as the flames in

the next house were already three stories high. Screaming and yelling over eight floors and people were headed down the stairs to the entrance. In these two Apt. Buildings construction is going on for more than a year. Hence the entrance is blocked with shiploads of plywood, gas and oxygen canisters. If there would be a fire at the entrance with wooden wall panels, no one could escape from the building as there is only one entrance. When I mentioned this to the owner, he was not impressed and shrug me off. The guy is filthy rich and probably thinks if half of my tenants die in a fire, I pay for the body bags.

Just curious why you think they were oxygen canisters? There for what purpose? Perhaps you are wrong about that.

That statement about the property owner is despicable. I guess it is acceptable if it was from an ignorant farang. Quite the neighborhood you live in. Average rent is what, 3000 baht/month?

BTW, your choice of the pig avatar is quite revealing.

Perhaps he was right about that, I'd take a nap and hope when u awake you feel less tetchy

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't want to get into a fight here, but my husband has previously talked about 'oxy' and oxygen tanks in a welding capacity. Not saying it's the same thing, but it sounds plausible to me. I have to say the rest of his post is fairly spot on, talking about blocked fire exits.

Oxy is oxyacetylene - not oxygen.

Err, wrong. You need one tank of oxygen and another of acetylene. They are fed to the torch via separate lines. Once ignited ,there are knobs on the torch to adjust the flow of both gases to get the proper mixture for what you are trying to do with the torch, either cutting at high temp or warming at lower temps.

I mean, what exactly happened? A power generator overheating or exploding???

Or someone knocked over a pot of oil on a gas stove?

this is a developing story get real.

It was developing 12 hours ago. It has developed now.

RT @191Thailand: Soi Charoensuk is a dead end road. Many narrow alleys in that area. Fire trucks cannot get close to the fire.

Well that's handy. rolleyes.gif

Let's hope everyone was able to get away in time, and perhaps all future buildings will be built where there is access by fire engines.

A civil engineer are you? Thoroughly reprehensible how quickly someone who knows nothing has come forward to exploit somebody's tragedy with a cheap shot.

this forum's getting bitchier by the day......post migration tension ?

• Like 2

I live in the Aueamornsuk Apts.right next to where the fire was burning. We had to leave the building as the flames in

the next house were already three stories high. Screaming and yelling over eight floors and people were headed down the stairs to the entrance. In these two Apt. Buildings construction is going on for more than a year. Hence the entrance is blocked with shiploads of plywood, gas and oxygen canisters. If there would be a fire at the entrance with wooden wall panels, no one could escape from the building as there is only one entrance. When I mentioned this to the owner, he was not impressed and shrug me off. The guy is filthy rich and probably thinks if half of my tenants die in a fire, I pay for the body bags.

This is what the burned down area looks now. Pics taken from my neighbors balcony where his plastic door already

started melting. The shophouses and wooden shacks are stone old and everybody was cooking on gas in there. I heard some canisters blow off. Oh, there is no direct access for any fire truck to the entire shophouse complex. They had to get their fireengines in front of Aueamornsuk (the white buildings in the other pics) and even there it took 5 to 10 Minutes to clear the road of hawkers and parked vehicles.

dsc00090.jpg

dsc00091.jpg

<********>.. blink.png

• Like 1

RT @191Thailand: Soi Charoensuk is a dead end road. Many narrow alleys in that area. Fire trucks cannot get close to the fire.

Well that's handy. rolleyes.gif

Let's hope everyone was able to get away in time, and perhaps all future buildings will be built where there is access by fire engines.

A civil engineer are you? Thoroughly reprehensible how quickly some know-nothing has come forward to exploit someone's tragedy with a cheap shot.

Well said

I think what is reprehensible is when people cannot part with their emotions and think logically about a situation and cannot identify what things complicate the issue that could have reasonably been avoided. How else do you explain this very common phenomena here of fire fighters not being able to fight fires?

Some of us prefer to use our brains and think things through so things can be improved. Some of us prefer to simply do the "RIP" or "oh, that's so terrible" thing. It would seem pretty obvious which type of person is more useful.

Thailand ignorant and selfish attitude of Thai drivers in not giving way to emergency vehicles.

You can understand foreign countries issuing travel warnings about Thailand coffee1.gif

I definitely agree with this.

Actually its is similar ALL OVER ASIA!!!

Even in Japan! They seem to have no regard for letting Ambulances go by!

its sad to see.

Then again, when the table is turned and they are in an emergency vehicle, they wish for traffic to let them get by.

what goes around, I guess.

shame they are so selfish and that they don't think about the life-emergencies of others.

I think what is reprehensible is when people cannot part with their emotions and think logically about a situation and cannot identify what things complicate the issue that could have reasonably been avoided. How else do you explain this very common phenomena here of fire fighters not being able to fight fires?

Some of us prefer to use our brains and think things through so things can be improved. Some of us prefer to simply do the "RIP" or "oh, that's so terrible" thing. It would seem pretty obvious which type of person is more useful.

C) None of the above (given the practical results achieved by both options)

• Like 1

Just curious why you think they were oxygen canisters? There for what purpose? Perhaps you are wrong about that.

That statement about the property owner is despicable. I guess it is acceptable if it was from an ignorant farang. Quite the neighborhood you live in. Average rent is what, 3000 baht/month?

BTW, your choice of the pig avatar is quite revealing.

As is your av.

What is wrong with 3k rent...?? If that is what is afforadble to you...so be it....no need to be such an arse about it.

• Like 1

PaullyW, on 07 Apr 2013 - 16:28, said:

As has been said many times in this forum.

The RIP is a gesture of comfort and compassion for the relatives and friends of a lost but treasured loved one who may read these posts. Curtsey and civility does not cost a penny!

I wonder how you would feel to read a post like yours on a thread involving one or more of your loved ones?

• Like 1

Yes I know I'm getting a little emotional and sorry to bother you again with a post to the same subject. However, for me it is heartbreaking to see these guys digging in the ashes and hopeing to find old family photos and valuables...

fire-sukhumvit-22_-800.png

Yes I know I'm getting a little emotional and sorry to bother you again with a post to the same subject. However, for me it is heartbreaking to see these guys digging in the ashes and hopeing to find old family photos and valuables...

fire-sukhumvit-22_-800.png

Thank you TT.

As for the strange reply got got earlier, it says rather more about the writer than you.

to Ignore and move on , as you have, is good.

• Like 1