Are Thai Checkout Staff On A Bonus For Plastic Bags?

Ulu Watu

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why cant Thai supermarkets follow Malaysia's practices? in most Malaysia supermarkets, they will not provide plastic bags. you have to buy the bags, and they aren't cheap.

About 6 years ago I had to buy a cotton green bag. since then I've been using the same bag in thailand at 7/11 and markets.

The supermarkets and 7/11 won't do anything like this because they will loose customers and money... Most Thais don't give a damn about plastic bags and recycling.

In fact, it's not only plastic bags, plastic bottles, tetra pak packages, and plastic wraps in general are much worse than just plastic bags. Most people dont care or dont know this problem.

Another solution as I've seen in other countries, is to use bio-degradable bags. after a period of time, they will dry up and break down, they are not 100% bio, but they are definitely better than the ordinary plastic bags.

• Like 1

The whole check out concept is strange. Sort purchases so that all chilled or frozen foods are together. A deliberate resort is then carried out on the way through the till ! Next take out canvas bags place goods in canvas bags put in trolley Another helper then removes items from canvas bag wraps in plastic bag and replaces in canvas bag ;-) I have given up refusing straws and spoons it wastes to much time in the confusion!.

Is it fair to say there is maybe an addiction to plastic bag here?

Everywhere I go, 7 or the market, the need to give every product, even the smallest of items it's own bag is amazing. I have to save them all up then give up for recycling!

When I go to my local market and buy biscuits, the girl always puts a plastic bag on her hand to pick up the biscuits, when I went to get beef mince, the guy just dug his bare hand into it, I just walked away, he could have been scratching his arse for all I know.

No plastic bags at Makro

Yes... and I always 'always bloody well forget to take my own plastic bag. I always end up having to pay 20baht, for a hulking great big red plastic bag. Just right for my 3 small items to flap about wildly on my bike.

you could always get a box for the back of the bike. It's surprising how much they can hold.

I often say no at 7/11 to bags because I can put the goods into my bike box.

On the other hand the bags are good - as mentioned by others here - to put your rubbish into, then drop those into the bin in the street outside.

Are these plastic bags not bio-degradable like those in the U.K.? They do seem to disintegrate if left in the sunlight for some time.

It's all about the plastic bags and straws iisn't it?

I even get given a straw for big bottles of water in 7Eleven! w00t.gif

But yeah, the concept of recycling and how bad plastic bags are for the environment hasn't quite caught on yet. It's annoying.

You only need to say "mai ow kap" and smile when they reach to hand you the straw!!

• Like 2

I think Thai's still have lot more pressing issues to worry about than plastic bags.

Their "carbon footprint" is a toe compared to American or European.

Learning little bit of the local language, could ease your frustrations.I DON'T NEED A STRAW/BAG,THANK YOU.

• Like 2

At small shops, when I purchase more than 1 item, each one goes in a separate bag, then all the bags go into another bag. Crazy. When they start going overboard with the bags, I stop them and put everything in 1 bag. If I'm buying just a single item, I tell them "no bag". It's excessive and wasteful, and someday they will catch on. (maybe)

And how about rubber bands? At the drugstore, they rubber band the pills together in groups before putting them all in the bag. I must have thousands of rubber bands in a drawer.

But the craziest of all is when they put on a plastic bag like a glove to handle the food items you are buying, and then take your filthy money with the gloved hand!

I'm aware of the ecological issues, but seriously, I really do find having lots of plastic bags in different sizes very useful. So at least I reuse a lot of them. Another thing I am charmed by is when sometimes in Thailand they will take the plastic bags and shape them into HANDLES. I mean for large bulky items. It happened the other day and I was very impressed and made it clear to the bag artiste that I was.

• Like 1

Went to a large superstore chain, where they offered large "green" canvas shopping bags at the counters for just 40 Baht each.

I took two, put them on the counter's conveyor belt in front of my other groceries. The check-out girl put them both in a plastic bag, then proceeded to handle the groceries likewise.

I watched on for a few seconds, then asked her, in Thai: "Why do you think I just bought these two shopping bags?"

She stopped, gazed at me with a look that was between "what does this strange 'farang' want from me?" and "have I done something wrong?" and you could clearly see how her brain was trying to process my question... clickety-click.

It finally dawned on her. She pulled out the two bags, handed them to me with a smile, and then... PROCEEDED putting my remaining groceries into more plastic bags!

Two canvas bags in my hands, I was standing there, speechless.

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 2

373046_315938475187489_394156776_n.jpg

This has nothing to do with western political correctness just with personal responsibility regarding the environment.

So let me get this straight.

Because some one takes issue with your crap about political correctness you are calling that person a sheep as in following the herd.

Very perceptive. thumbsup.gif I do not want to pay for a cloth bag if I do not have one with me. Free biodegradable bags or free paper bags are a perfectly reasonable solution.

• Like 2

Getting handed free bags seems a lot better than being forced to pay for the bags (the situation in my neck of the woods).

I take it, it's the UK, and the stores are Lidl etc. I forget the names of the other ones.

Sweden.

The cost of a plastic bag in the grocery store is equivalent to 10 baht. I imagine these complainers would feel differently about free bags if this was the case in Thailand. smile.png

interesting

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and unintended consequences.

If only life was more simple

I've thought about this before and I think they give plastic bag for even 1 tiny item because so many Thais arrive at the store on a motorbike; hence the need for a bag for even small items. Just a thought.

Of all the things to complain about in Thailand, this does seem rather trivial. Just collect the bags and reuse them as we do.

Yeah.Some idiots moaning about getting straws and spoons. You don't need take them.

But because many feel inadequate here they choose to use anything to prove their own superiority.

I have a little box full of plastic spoons. Very usefull.for going on picnics and camping.

• Like 1

It's all about the plastic bags and straws iisn't it?

I even get given a straw for big bottles of water in 7Eleven! w00t.gif

But yeah, the concept of recycling and how bad plastic bags are for the environment hasn't quite caught on yet. It's annoying.

May I?

2 cans of coke, 2 cans of beer, 1 bottle of mouthwash: 5 straws!

cheesy.gif

I was going to say again at Villa Market,Siam Paragon I've many a time been given a straw for each of the 500ml cans of Krombacher Beer purchased!bah.gif

I wouldn't mind but I'm a big,strapping lad and look nothing like an Essex girl out for the night in Magaluf,Mallorca!w00t.gif

The supermarket in Siam Paragon is not a VILLA !

To the obvious dimwits on this thread, no one forces or coerces you into taking anything, straws, bags, spoons

or anything you don't want from anyone anywhere, so just say no thank you.

It is also quite obvious that not many of the people on this thread have much in the way of observational powers,

if you did you would know that some supermarkets in Thailand, yes Thailand, do in fact make an effort to help the

environment.

The previously mentioned Villa Market uses recyled logos on their OXO- Biodegradable plastic bags.

Central Food hall ( Tops ) also uses a "Foundation for Environmental Preservation" logo on their biodegradable bags

and urges all to "Use, Reuse, then Degrage".

If you want to complain about anything complain about the big Supermarket chains like Tesco, Big C and even 7/11

who make vastly obscene profits and make little effort to help in preservation of the environment, go vent your anger

at them to provide biodegradeable packaging and don't blame the supermarkets for irresponsible litterbugs either.

• Like 1