P M Orders Tighter Security In Deep South

Lite Beer

PM orders tighter security in deep South
The Nation on Sunday

30203549-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Defence volunteers questioned; Army says still early to judge motive for recent attacks

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday ordered security agencies to provide better protection for officials and the public in the deep South, after a Yala deputy governor was killed in a roadside bombing by suspected insurgents.

Yingluck said that Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung, who oversees security affairs in the region, had closely followed the situation in the region and would visit the southern provinces soon.

Meanwhile, police investigators summoned six Bannang Sata defence volunteers who provided security to the deputy governor's motorcade amid suspicion that the attack may have involved an insider because the assailants knew precisely which car to hit.

The volunteers initially gave similar testimonies - that they were informed just an hour before the trip to provide security for a motorcade and they did not know who was travelling in it.

The Friday afternoon roadside bomb in Bannang Sata in Yala also killed provincial civil defence chief Chaowalit Chai-ruerk.

Offering condolences over the deaths of the officials, Yingluck said she had ordered security agencies to step up measures to ensure the safety of officials and residents in the deep South. She also instructed authorities to be more alert for possible attacks and provide moral support to officials working in the area. The PM said the death of Issara and the recent abduction/murder of a marine private, Ma-ila Tohlu, in Narathiwat, were outrageous events that affected the morale of officials. She vowed that the government would facilitate their work by providing more modern equipment.

Yingluck affirmed that dialogue between the National Security Council (NSC) and insurgent groups would continue, as it was one way to end the unrest.

Yala Governor Detcharaj Simsiri admitted the killing of Issara had affected staff morale and prompted him to be more cautious. However, he vowed to reach out to all areas to perform his duty to try to end the unrest and help people, without fear of threats by insurgents to harm high-ranking officials.

Thai Army deputy spokesman Winthai Suwaree said the motive for the attacks of the past 2-3 days was not clear yet. He said the insurgents may be trying to show their ability to strike hard after many leading members were arrested or slain lately and many sympathisers had changed their minds. He said it was also likely that the representatives were no longer united in controlling the insurgents or weren't really representing the right groups. He urged the public not to jump to conclusions and said it would take a while to see the results of the peace dialogue.

Winthai admitted state officials, executives, teachers, policemen and soldiers were the original targets of the insurgents and that remained unchanged. He said that while NSC worked on the peace dialogue, with help from Malaysia, the Internal Security Operations Command Region 4 Front would strive for good understanding with local groups for solutions, while also implementing peaceful projects to let "those with a different ideology from the government" participate in solving the problem.

The violence continued yesterday with a roadside bomb at 11am slightly injuring a defence volunteer in Narathiwat's Sri Sakhon district. The bomb impact caused an armoured truck, in which the victim and five other Sri Sakhon defence volunteers were travelling, to swirl but the driver drove on for another 30 metres. They fired gunshots to ward off any further attacks by suspected insurgents.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said his party did not disagree with the peace dialogue with insurgent groups. He suggested that Thai representatives table conditions and guidelines to reduce violence in the region, as the attacks in the past month may be symbolic. If the insurgent groups attending the dialogue process would not or could not help reduce the violence, Thailand might get an answer on how to proceed.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-07

Their has been commentary in today's media that officials have collaborated with the militants to carry out the OP attack. If this is accurate and reading between the lines could be usual Thai resolution to business or personal disputes.

I see the Thaksin lead southern peace talks are bearing poisoned fruit.

" Yingluck said that Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung, who oversees security affairs in the region, had closely followed the situation in the region and would visit the southern provinces soon."

post-46292-0-42443100-1365293263_thumb.j Huh! I am busy with the drug policy, isn't that right?............Yes Boss........

Looks like your on your own Yingluck. "Offering condolences over the deaths of the officials, Yingluck said she had ordered security agencies to step up measures to ensure the safety of officials and residents in the deep South."

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

So the PM 'orders' increased security whilst the lame Police Minister sprouts another ridiculous claim he will visit the south 'soon'. The man is a coward. He will not set foot in the south. In the interim there are reportedly 50,000 army and police down south so why is it they cannot root out the 100-1,000 terrorists and why can't they stop the weapons and explosives movements and supply lines? But I abhor the use of UN as an outside 'agency' - who are about as lame as the Police Minister. Time to go house to house and start rounding up and perhaps some public executions or life time jail sentences to serve as a warning. Personally I doubt talks are going to solve this issue.

• Like 1

The word "soon" can be seen in a few lights

1- "I will visit the South soon"

2- "I will visit the South very soon"

3- "I will visit the South as soon as the insurgency is over"

I will choose number 3

Keep up the good work TS YS and Chalerm, you are all doing a great job with the South

Chalerm, has been ordered and promised he would travel southward several times, apparently, he is somewhat fearful to travel within Thaland, where his 'job discription' would place him, but he can travel internationally at any whim.

With his self proclaimed political asperations, maybe he sould be appointed to Somolia, where he would fit like a glove.

It would appear his offspring got their courage genes from the old man. When the undesirable traits appear, its best just to send the culpirt(s) to the slaughter house, and upgrade your stock.

So the PM 'orders' increased security whilst the lame Police Minister sprouts another ridiculous claim he will visit the south 'soon'. The man is a coward. He will not set foot in the south. In the interim there are reportedly 50,000 army and police down south so why is it they cannot root out the 100-1,000 terrorists and why can't they stop the weapons and explosives movements and supply lines? But I abhor the use of UN as an outside 'agency' - who are about as lame as the Police Minister. Time to go house to house and start rounding up and perhaps some public executions or life time jail sentences to serve as a warning. Personally I doubt talks are going to solve this issue.

I nominate the UN if only for one reason LT, at least the rest of the world would know what is going on , the BBC documentary, "The forgotten War , "was an eye opener about the region, as for the UN, they are as usefull as tits on a bull.

• Like 1

The redoubtable Chalerm fails yet again, or has he ?

The comment concerning officials colluding with militant groups to orchestrate this attack is indeed a worrying comment however it fits nicely with the theory that Chalerm has concerning business conflicts.

One is led to wonder whether Chalerm himself has a finger or three in business operations in the affected region, hence his comments?

We are all well aware that the honesty factor in Chalerm on a good day is around minus 5%,. Chalerm and his serpentine offspring can and do slither under snakes without touching the snakes belly.

Chalerm like his serpentine offspring is a born again coward and of course if there was or is a connection to business activities in the region one of course totally understand the reluctance of Chalerm to visit as such a visit might endanger his very existence.

One is led to wonder why this creature Chalerm is still in a position of power, might there be a touch of truth in the business comments and of course those business matters may well not be the concern one person either ?

• Like 2

I see the Thaksin lead southern peace talks are bearing poisoned fruit.

" Yingluck said that Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung, who oversees security affairs in the region, had closely followed the situation in the region and would visit the southern provinces soon."

attachicon.gifChalerm drugs.jpg Huh! I am busy with the drug policy, isn't that right?............Yes Boss........

Looks like your on your own Yingluck. "Offering condolences over the deaths of the officials, Yingluck said she had ordered security agencies to step up measures to ensure the safety of officials and residents in the deep South."

If you remember Chalerm was ordered by PM "Pig's Nose " to go to the south as he has been " controlling " the situation by video conference since he was afraid for his life. Finally he was sacked

I have run out of suitable adjectives to describe this situation.

It is now time for the UN or another third party to intervene and lend their support to end this situation.

Oil and gas would be there......

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday ordered security agencies to provide better protection for officials and the public in the deep South, after a Yala deputy governor was killed in a roadside bombing by suspected insurgents.

Good job PM...problem solved...so easy. Now on to solving other big problems....what shall it be?.....where's the news paper so a problem can be chosen and the order given.

Orders are one thing...ensuring they are carried out are another matter

altogether. Reads like more BS from the top of the hill rolling down into

oblivion...just another poke & hope to see what happens when most

people know what will happen...nada.

Orders are one thing...ensuring they are carried out are another matter

altogether. Reads like more BS from the top of the hill rolling down into

oblivion...just another poke & hope to see what happens when most

people know what will happen...nada.

Does make you think about what action was taken, if any, on the orders issued and reported in the media every month or so for increased security.

• Like 2

The redoubtable Chalerm fails yet again, or has he ?

The comment concerning officials colluding with militant groups to orchestrate this attack is indeed a worrying comment however it fits nicely with the theory that Chalerm has concerning business conflicts.

One is led to wonder whether Chalerm himself has a finger or three in business operations in the affected region, hence his comments?

We are all well aware that the honesty factor in Chalerm on a good day is around minus 5%,. Chalerm and his serpentine offspring can and do slither under snakes without touching the snakes belly.

Chalerm like his serpentine offspring is a born again coward and of course if there was or is a connection to business activities in the region one of course totally understand the reluctance of Chalerm to visit as such a visit might endanger his very existence.

One is led to wonder why this creature Chalerm is still in a position of power, might there be a touch of truth in the business comments and of course those business matters may well not be the concern one person either ?

Fail? Fail would mean that he tries something. As far as I can see his agenda is to pocket as much money as possible and stay in the seat as long as possible.

And he doesn't fail on that. If it is necessary to tell his boss in dubai that he fix the southern problem, he will say that...where is the fail?

• Like 1

UPDATE:
Two more killed as PM visits far South

The Nation

30203585-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expresses her condolences to Satopa Jeloh, the driver of slain Yala deputy governor Issara Thongthawat, at Yala Hospital yesterday. Satopa was in intensive care for wounds sustained in a roadside bomb attack last Friday

YALA: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra travelled to the deep South yesterday, when another attack targeting state officials took place.

Two volunteer rangers were killed in a roadside bomb blast in Narathiwat's Rangae district. The victims, Sophon Mosom and Kongkiat Kaendee, died in the explosion while riding a motorcycle to buy supplies at a market.

Witnesses said unidentified militants opened fire following the explosion of 10-kilogram home-made bomb before fleeing the scene. They also stole the victims' two assault rifles.

The prime minister yesterday dismissed any link between the killing of the Yala deputy provincial governor and the government's peace negotiations with the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN).

Violence has continued unabated in the restive South. In fact, insurgents have stepped up operations with the bomb on Friday killing Yala deputy provincial governor Issara Thongthawat and another high-ranking official travelling with him in the same car.

Yingluck said she did not think the incident had anything to do with the peace talks, which have not really started. "The atmosphere of the negotiations is different. Please do not link the two. Look at the talks as an opportunity to create understanding, which takes time. The government wants to listen to everyone's opinion to reduce conflict and bring peace to the South,'' she said.

Yingluck was speaking after visiting Satopa Jeloh, driver of the car that carried the deputy governor and was hit by the bomb, before leaving Yala to join Issara's funeral ceremony in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Satopa has remained in the intensive care unit in Yala following Friday's bomb attack.

The prime minister said yesterday that Issara's killing should not be linked to the peace dialogue between the National Security Council and the BRN insurgency.

Yingluck was speaking on the sidelines of her inspection trip to the South. One of her activities was to pay the hospital visit to Satopa. She also attended the funeral of Issara.

The PM insisted the dialogue would be carried on despite the surge of violent attacks against officials and soldiers.

Senator Anusat Suwanmon-gkol said yesterday the PM could not deny that since the government had started peace talks with the BRN, the number of victims from the insurgency had risen. Insurgents are targeting high-ranking officials like the deputy governor, and the insurgency had become more inhumane with the abduction and slaying of a soldier.

"Insurgents have stepped up their operation and this is a result of the government's hasty decision to open talks. The government must review its peace talks plan," said Anusat, who is chairman of the Senate panel for the rehabilitation of people affected by violence in the South.

The senator also criticised National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut for remarking that violent incidents that took place during peace talks were normal. "He talks as if he has no regard for the feelings of local people,'' he said.

Prince of Songkla University lecturer Srisompop Jitpiromsri said the recent attacks might be aiming at provoking the authorities to resort to harsh suppression measures. Should the suppression happen, the peace dialogue might be in jeopardy, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-08

As you known I only went to the 3rd grade But I believe the Government is talking to parties in the South that have nothing to with violence. Also as far a the Malaysia's they also have no knowledge and it is a waste of time

Talk to the people who are doing it or nobody

Edited by harryfrompattaya
  • Like 2

I have run out of suitable adjectives to describe this situation.

It is now time for the UN or another third party to intervene and lend their support to end this situation.

I think the rest of the world is more concerned with Syria and it's over 70,000 deaths.

I nominate the UN if only for one reason LT, at least the rest of the world would know what is going on , the BBC documentary, "The forgotten War , "was an eye opener about the region, as for the UN, they are as usefull as tits on a bull.

Yes - I would agree - as long as they are armed at the same time.

These peace talk are a sick joke, another fine mess you got us into Thaksin

Do you really think this is all due to Thaksin, or are you just being silly? Silly's ok, I get that way often, but if you're serious, then, what is the solution to undo this Thaksin mess in the South?

These peace talk are a sick joke, another fine mess you got us into Thaksin

Do you really think this is all due to Thaksin, or are you just being silly? Silly's ok, I get that way often, but if you're serious, then, what is the solution to undo this Thaksin mess in the South?

Charge him and his cronies for the crimes against humanity that were inflicted under his watch. Then apologise and seek reconciliation.