Northern Food—Does It Suck, Or Does It Rock?

Thakkar

The signature dish of the north remains laap dip, raw minced meat. It should only be made from a freshly slaughtered animal, usually a pig raised in the home that would only be slaughtered for a significant event or for a special guest. Thus even today, although few people in the villages raise their own pigs anymore, it remains the dish favored for special occasions or when visitors come from outside the local neighborhhood. For those unwilling to eat the raw version, it will most often also be served cooked as well. The laap should be accompanied by a variety of fresh vegetables picked both from the garden and out in the forest, ranging from leaves to beans to those small eggplants.

A seasonal dish particular to the north that I like is keng salaee (pronounced as in slay), salaee being a flower bud from a particular tree. As for khao soi, that is a traditional Burmese dish but it is politically incorrect in Thailand to remind people that the Burmese once ruled much of the Lanna region.

• Like 1

For great khao soi, recently stumbled across a great place in Borsang, called Wannaluck... left at the lights, 100yds up on the right.

However I don't understand the bad rap MSG gets. It's useful for bad cooks and I suspect has saved many a marriage. Nothing I've read so far convinces me that it is bad for health unless consumed in seriously excessive quantities.

I think you would be convinced if you suffered from it.

IMO, the perils of MSG are largely imaginary and medical science mostly agrees with me.

When it comes to Northern food, I am not a fan. I mostly eat Thai food for its health value (vegetarian) or because it is inexpensive. I much prefer Chinese, but the good stuff is not easy to find here for a reasonable price.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't have a delicate palate and it may or may not be the signature dish of the North but anyone stupid enough to eat raw pork is asking for a trichinosis infection.

Funny, over the past 30 plus years that I have been eating laap dip with my neighbors I have yet to hear of a single case of trichinosis anywhere in the region.

Northern "lanna" food sucks!!! Khao soi is ok but northern cuisine is much more than that.

Pork brain in banana leaf, pork fat stew with a strange egg, lots of strange and untasty vegetables... Etc...

You wrong! you wrong!

I eat 3 meals a day for 25b each and they are glorious! Glorious!

For 25 THB you are getting a small portion of the worst possible quality white rice, vegetables sprayed with chemicals, re-used palm oil, and the cuts of meat that would be used for dog food in the West. 10 years ago you could get decent food for 25 THB. Ever looked in a market at the cost of pork, beef, rice, etc.? Probably not if you eat out 3 X per day!

I don't have a delicate palate and it may or may not be the signature dish of the North but anyone stupid enough to eat raw pork is asking for a trichinosis infection.

+1...or worse.

A few people died in Lampang last year from eating a wild pig; raw.

Northern "lanna" food sucks!!! Khao soi is ok but northern cuisine is much more than that.

Pork brain in banana leaf, pork fat stew with a strange egg, lots of strange and untasty vegetables... Etc...

You wrong! you wrong!

For 25 THB you are getting a small portion of the worst possible quality white rice, vegetables sprayed with chemicals, re-used palm oil, and the cuts of meat that would be used for dog food in the West. 10 years ago you could get decent food for 25 THB. Ever looked in a market at the cost of pork, beef, rice, etc.? Probably not if you eat out 3 X per day!

There's always one it goes flying over. :rolleyes:

You wrong! you wrong!

There's always one it goes flying over. rolleyes.gif

Or maybe your sarcasm wasn't as clever as you thought. Besides, you forgot the smiley.

T

For 25 baht at Kad Luang, I can get really good, "gang Kanoon" vegetarian, .....also the man across from the gai yang ha dow stand sells really good vegetarian for 20-25 per bag.

As chicken breast is unpopular,(cheap) it often shows up in the various curries for sale also.... you gotta shop around, look and sniff, also the good stuff is often sold in the morning so... you need to shop early.

I am a good friend with Mr Thakkar, so maybe it is OK to say that I have a chooice in life, I love to eat ham, potatoes with horseradish sauce. It is just enough, salt, sugar and spices in it for my taste.

We are talking about the northern countries?? Like Sweden???biggrin.png

Glegolo

• Like 1

I am a good friend with Mr Thakkar, so maybe it is OK to say that I have a chooice in life, I love to eat ham, potatoes with horseradish sauce. It is just enough, salt, sugar and spices in it for my taste.

Glegolo

no, farther north, whale blubber and fresh seal liver....!

Glegolo

Please, call me 'grumpy'—my daughters do.

I love horseradish with potatoes. When it comes to ham, I'm very picky. The good stuff is so expensive here, so I rarely eat it.

T

Funny, over the past 30 plus years that I have been eating laap dip with my neighbors I have yet to hear of a single case of trichinosis anywhere in the region.

It's always better to be lucky than smart.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716607/