Thaksin To Step Down?

astral

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated he might be willing to step aside temporarily, to ease the mounting political crisis.

Asked if he would consider taking a break from politics, he said: "It is a good proposal and I am considering it."

Tens of thousands of protesters have staged large rallies in recent weeks, accusing Mr Thaksin of corruption.

He called a snap election for 2 April to try to regain authority, but the opposition decided to boycott the poll.

'Good suggestion'

"I have to take some time to consider and decide what to do, because I have a duty to complete my mission," Mr Thaksin told reporters in Thailand's north-east on Wednesday.

BBC News

15th March 2006

what is a part time Prime Minister?

Going for holidays 3 weeks?

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated he might be willing to step aside temporarily, to ease the mounting political crisis.

Asked if he would consider taking a break from politics, he said: "It is a good proposal and I am considering it."

Tens of thousands of protesters have staged large rallies in recent weeks, accusing Mr Thaksin of corruption.

He called a snap election for 2 April to try to regain authority, but the opposition decided to boycott the poll.

'Good suggestion'

"I have to take some time to consider and decide what to do, because I have a duty to complete my mission," Mr Thaksin told reporters in Thailand's north-east on Wednesday.

BBC News

15th March 2006

PM may step down temporary

and allow a nominee to conduct a political reform

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Wednesday he is considering temporarily stepping down and allow a nominee to run the political reform process.

The prime minister said during his election campaign in Buriram.province that he is not bowing to mob rule and will return after reforms are in place, as he has a duty to complete his mission.

The nominee could be Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit, who was elevated as first Deputy PM above Deputy PM and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak Tuesday.

Source: The Nation - Breaking News - 15 Mar 2006

OLD NEWS - ALREADY REPORTED

Today, 2006-03-15 12:44:30 Post #1

Source BBC

Thai PM hints at stepping aside

Pressure has been mounting against Mr Thaksin in recent weeks

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated he might be willing to step aside temporarily, to ease the mounting political crisis

I will decide on political future based only on people's interest," says PM

BURIRAM: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra reiterated on Wednesday he had never thought about a temporary political suspension, saying he would make a decision on his political future based on people’s interest, not under the political pressure.

Giving an interview on news reports that People’s Alliance of Democracy (PAD) is ready to talk to end ongoing conflicts, he said no approach for formal talks had been made. There is only discussion for possible talks for now.

“The matter has nothing to do with me. It is rather a matter of the country’s rules,” he said.

Asked whether he used to think about the temporary political suspension to end the conflicts, he said he personally intends to work for the sake of the country.

“People still want me to solve the country’s problems in various areas. But a handful of people disliked me because I do not bow to them. Actually, I’m not stubborn. I’m ready to accept if there is a suitable successor.

“I have a little more mission to do. When it is done, I see no reason to stay on. I will be 57 years old soon. I never think of the temporary political suspension. It is not the point. Enough is enough,’’ he said.

The embattled premier pledged he would attempt to work harder for the country.

At present, he said, the world had changed so rapidly that the country could not keep up with it. The capital would flow out immediately if the country turned its back to the globalisation.

People, who join the rallies, did not absolutely understand about the globalisation, he said, adding that he believed the rallies would have an impact on the economic growth.

Asked whether it is better if he leaves politics temporarily and appoint someone he entrusts to do his job for a certain period, Mr. Thaksin said it is one of good proposals.

He said he would made a decision when it is time and would do it based only on the country’s interest, not under pressure from a group of people who lose interest or did not understand anything.

The caretaker premier also called on the media to perform duties neutrally and insisted he would return to work at Government House despite a mass rally against him in front of the place.

--TNA 2006-03-15

BREAKING NEWS

Thaksin supporters to move in to confront protesters

Thousands of supporters of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra are gathering in Pathum Thani and will head to Royal Plaza in Wednesday's afternoon, Manager Online reports.

The Web site report that 2,000 people from Phayao's Jun district have arrived at Navanakhon district in Pathum Thani in 20 buses.

It says the villagers are waiting for reinforcement from some 4,000 more villagers from other provinces before leaving Pathum Thani at 2 pm to head to the Royal Plaza.

They would include some 2,000 villagers who are travelling on homemade tractors or e-tan tractors.

It says Thai Rak Thai candidate in Phayao's Constituency 2, Wisut Chai-arun, organised the rally in support of Thaksin.

Earlier, Wisut said he would mobilise up to 10,000 people to rally in confrontation with protesters against the prime minister.

Edited by bulmercke

PM can resign after House dissolution, says caretaker DPM

BANGKOK: -- A caretaker prime minister can resign after a dissolution of the House of Representatives if he opts to do so, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-Ngam, a wellknown Thai legal expert, said here on Wednesday.

Responding to journalists' question whether caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra could still resign after the House dissolution late last month, Mr. Wissanu noted he personally believes that a prime minister could still step down after the House dissolution.

"Some legal experts said a prime minister cannot resign after he has dissolved the House, but some said a prime minister's resignation is still possible after a House dissolution. I, myself, agree with the latter," he said.

The caretaker deputy premier, however, refused to elaborate which articles in the constitution supports the move of a premier, if he wants.

Asked if caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin could not perform his deputy, would caretaker First Deputy Prime Minister Pol. Gen. Chidchai Vanasatidya be able to replace him, Mr. Wissanu said: "That's possible. In the past, a deputy premier could sign documents or perform duties on behalf of a prime minister if necessary, like the premier himself went abroad or fell sick."

"Article 41 of the state administrative law allows the option," he added.

Responding to news reports that Mr. Thaksin might decide to temporarily suspend his political role amid growing pressure from his opponents for his resignation, Mr. Wissanu said: "I don't know what does that mean, but I personally view that could only happen after the April 2 snap election."

For mounting concerns that the House of Representatives might not be able to convene after the April 2 general election if the number of elected MPs fell short of its 500 seats, Mr. Wissanu said articles in the constitution could be always used to solve any specific problem.

The caretaker deputy premier, again, refused to comment on a proposed idea, raised by former House Speaker Bhokin Bhalakula, that the Article 101 of the constitution be used to solve the problem.

Meanwhile, a former member of the then constitutional drafting assembly, Komet Kwanmuang, who was also a former MPs from the southern Surat Thani Province of the Democrat Party, told journalists that the Article 101 could be applied only when an elected MP dies or becomes seriously ill after an election general.

--TNA 2006-03-15

PM "still has more to do"

BURIRAM: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has vowed to stay on until the "job is done," saying he intends to work even harder and has no intention of taking a temporary break from politics.

Mr. Thaksin, who is campaigning in the provinces for the April 2 general election, said on Wednesday that any decision on his political future would be based on the interests of the people, and would not be a result of political pressure.

The prime minister also rejected a suggestion of negotiations with the People’s Alliance of Democracy(PAD) , the coalition of groups campaigning for his resignation through a series of mass demonstrations. He said the PAD had made no formal approach, although there were talks about talks.

“The matter has nothing to do with me. It is a constitutional issue,” he said.

“People still want me to solve the country’s problems in various areas. But a handful of people dislike me because I do not bow to them. Actually, I’m not stubborn. I’m ready to accept if there is a suitable successor.

“I still have more to do. When the job is done, I see no reason to stay on. I will be 57 soon. I've never considered a temporary break from politics. It is not the point. Enough will be enough,’’ he said.

The prime minister also pledged to try to work even harder for the country.

He said the world was changing so rapidly that it was hard for the country to keep up. But the prime minister warned that capital would flow out immediately if the country attempted to turn its back on globalisation.

Those taking part in the mass anti-government rallies did not understand what globalisation really meant, he said, adding that he believed the continual protests would inevitably have an impact on economic growth.

Mr. Thaksin said he would make a decision about his political future when the time was right. But any decision would be based on the national interest, not the demands of ill-informed protesters.

The prime minister also called on the media to be neutral in the coverage of the political crisis, and insisted he would return to work at Government House in Bangkok despite the continuing mass rally against him outside the office complex.

--TNA 2006-03-15

BREAKING NEWS

Privy Council's chief is to give a press conference

Arrangement is being made for Privy Coucil's Chairman Gen Prem Tinasulanond to have an urgent press conference.

It is not clear what the topic is. Journalists were given a very short notice that Gen Prem will be meeting the media, which is a rare occassion.

Thaksin hints at stepping aside, as polls left in doubt

by Anusak Konglang

ATTENTION - RECASTS, UPDATES with election commission reax ///

BANGKOK, March 15, 2006 (AFP) - Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra said Wednesday he may consider stepping aside temporarily

to end Thailand's political crisis, as the top election official

warned that snap polls called for next month could be delayed.

Thaksin called the April 2 poll three years early in hopes of

ending weeks of political turmoil, but he remains the target of mass

street protests calling for his resignation.

For the first time Wednesday, he indicated that he was willing

to consider a proposal from academics and business leaders that he

step aside long enough to allow for constitutional reforms sought by

the opposition.

"I am open to considering every solution," the premier said when

asked about the proposal while campaigning in the northeastern town

of Buriram.

"If there is anyone who could work instead of me, I would not

cling to my position," he said.

The top election official cast doubt on whether the election

could proceed as planned following a boycott by major opposition

parties, saying 320 candidates had been banned from running and

another 84 could also be disqualified.

"It's not a simple decision but we will hold consultations soon.

There are many factors to support moving the election date,"

Election Commission chief Vasana Puemlarp told reporters, saying a

decision should come by Monday.

Thaksin's party is running unopposed in some two-thirds of

constituencies and one district may have no candidates at all,

Vasana said.

The announcement was the latest setback for Thaksin, who sparked

a political furor in late January when his family sold its 1.9

billion dollar stake in Shin Corp, the telecoms firm he founded.

Under a legal loophole, the sale was tax-free.

Under Thai law, candidates running for uncontested seats must

win votes from 20 percent of the registered voters in their district

or run in a by-election.

If voters decide to stay home and leave a large number of seats

empty, the new parliament could be hamstrung and unable to confirm

Thaksin as prime minister, pushing Thailand into uncharted political

territory.

Thaksin has spent most of the week campaigning in the northeast,

where his rallies draw tens of thousands of supporters from among

the rural poor who still adore him because of his populist policies

that have raised their living standards.

But in Bangkok, Thaksin's problems are only growing.

Some 70,000 protesters blockaded his office Tuesday in the

latest mass protest to demand he step down over allegations of

corruption.

Some 2,000 protesters were still camped outside his office

Wednesday, vowing to remain until he agreed to resign.

Thaksin appeared to be reassessing his options after the

protest, which police said was the largest since the demonstrations

began February 4.

In one of his frequent cabinet reshuffles Tuesday, he promoted

his top security official, Chidchai Vanasatidya, to become his first

deputy.

Chidchai tried to downplay speculation that he was now next in

line to lead the government should Thaksin leave office, saying: "I

am not politically ambitious and other people are more ready than

me."

But Thaksin also suffered a slight from military leaders

Tuesday, who publicly contradicted his warning about declaring a

state of emergency should the protest turn violent. The military

leaders insisted such a move was unwarranted.

And on Wednesday a court dismissed a criminal defamation case

brought by Shin Corp against four journalists and a rights activist

who had claimed that the company's profits soared because of

favorable policies by Thaksin's government.

ask/gs/sm

AFP 151206 GMT MAR 06

Thai king's chief adviser urges speedy end to crisis

BANGKOK, March 15, 2006 (AFP) - The chief adviser to Thailand's

highly influential King Bhumibol Adulyadej made an unusual public

plea late Wednesday for a speedy end to the nation's political

crisis.

"I urge all parties to quickly resolve the current political

conflict for the sake of national peace," said Prem Tinsulanonda,

who is also a respected former prime minister.

"Everyone involved is an adult, and is knowledgeable, and has

good intentions for the country, so I urge them all to consider what

they should do for the sake of the people," he told reporters.

"Whoever is involved in this crisis must restore calm, while

using peaceful means for the public good, without dividing the

nation."

Prem refused to answer reporters' questions about whether he

thought Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra should resign.

bc/ask/gs/sm

AFP 151243 GMT MAR 06

Prem calls for reconciliation

Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda Wednesday called on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his opponents to try to reach reconciliation.

TV evening news reports show Prem as speaking to reporters that all sides in the conflicts should be able to figure out how to normalise the situation and work toward the it.

>>>>>

Nothing new here. Though he's much respected, I doubt whether his advise is going to have much affect on either of the opposing groups.

Channel 7 news have just carried a report on the foreign media interest in the anti-Thaksin encampment and movement.

The BBC (Kylie Morris), a Japanese news crew and a Dutch reporter were interviewed at the protest sites.

Edited by bulmercke

He quotes Thaksin as saying that the call for him to make a political break is "an interesting proposal" but he would have to consider it thoroughly.

Yeah Yeah Yeah !

Thaksin to buy Liverpool Football Club

Yeah Yeah Yeah !

Thaksin To Step Down ?

Yeah Yeah Yeah !

He Loves You ?

Yeah Yeah Yeah !

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Hermano Lobo

Thaksin must quit, not take a break, says Chamlong

The ultimate goal of the People's Alliance for Democracy is to see caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resign and not take a temporary break from politics, key PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang said yesterday. Maj-Gen Chamlong said the PAD has not discussed the idea that Mr Thaksin be allowed to take a temporary break from politics as a way out of the current political impasse as the movement's one and only goal was his resignation.

''I don't know what a political break means. It needs to be defined in terms of how long it will take and who it will involve,'' he said. ''We haven't reached those kind of talks because we are focused on only one goal, which is the resignation of the prime minister.''

- BP

• 2 weeks later...
And as he contemplates his options amid growing calls for his resignation, more than his political survival is at stake. Mr Thaksin’s rivals have suggested that they would like to freeze the Shinawatra family’s assets, while Shin Corp and its past dealings are investigated, a major threat to his family that gives the prime minister a strong incentive to hang on in power. Even without this looming risk, Mr Thaksin himself would be loath to give in to his enemies by stepping down.

Still, some Thais suggest that Mr Thaksin might be able to take a temporary break from politics, then return later. That might give him a chance to look back at his own recommended reading list, which notably includes the book, Why CEOs Fail.

“He told his cabinet that the main reason CEOs failed is that they don’t listen to people,” recalls Mr Somkiat. “He doesn’t seem to realise that he hasn’t conformed to what he has been preaching.”

i believe this is why toxin won't go YET,

he is a clever mover, and if he can do a deal with the right people now, he could get elected then step down AFTER his re-election and be left alone and intact, after all this is what a competant CEO would do.

he has lied and cheated the thai people out of tax monies and god knows what else,

and he'll get away with it :o