Tight-Fisted Farang...

Rob8891

If I saw someone who had fallen asleep in a coffee shop I'd think it was cute. They must either be really exhausted or coffee not strong enough. Guess this is one of those things that doesnt bother me in the slightest. Other things do. I'm not immune to being bothered! But this using wifi working etc thing..doesn't register for me.

Well, in Amsterdam they sleep in coffeeshops all the time. Their coffee surely is not stong enough.:rolleyes:

...or something else is stronger!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the time that I was there (drinking coffee, I would add!), I didn't notice this guy consume anything.

Wait a minute... so you are saying that you got a seat despite the boorish computer-user? Or did you just stand there stupidly drinking your coffee, casting mournful looks all about you?

If you had a seat, then how in any possible way did this guy affect you? There is an implied contract between the computer user & the coffee shop owner; there is an implied contract between you & the coffee shop owner. However, there is no contract between you & the computer user. You have no rights whatsoever in the matter. As long as the coffee shop owner is not aggrieved, then all is well. Of all the battles you can choose in your seemingly empty life, why would you pick this one?

Battle???? coffee1.gif Mournful??? cheesy.gif No, I did not stand to drink my coffee. At what point did I say there was no free seat. Try reading the OP (again) and rely a bit less on your over-active imagination.

It seems pretty clear that quite a lot of raw nerves have been hit in this thread and now I am spoilt for choice as to whom the dour-faced silver surfer was. whistling.gif

Edited by Rob8891

If i am in a coffee shop i enjoy chattery, browsing and interaction.

When i see someone working and using up table space in my favourite shop because of this. the overall ambiance of the coffeeshop is comprimised.

How is it comprimised? You can still enjoy the chattery, browsing and interaction with the rest.

BTW what is the difference between the guy on the laptop reading his newspaper (maybe from his home country) online in the coffee shop and someone else who does not want to be 'chattery, browsing and interactive' reading the Bangkok Post. Some of use just want a quiet coffee after all.

• Like 1

If i am in a coffee shop i enjoy chattery, browsing and interaction.

When i see someone working and using up table space in my favourite shop because of this. the overall ambiance of the coffeeshop is comprimised.

How is it comprimised? You can still enjoy the chattery, browsing and interaction with the rest.

BTW what is the difference between the guy on the laptop reading his newspaper (maybe from his home country) online in the coffee shop and someone else who does not want to be 'chattery, browsing and interactive' reading the Bangkok Post. Some of use just want a quiet coffee after all.

A quiet coffee in a coffeeshop? Guess you have never been to Italy..coffee1.gif

Whats next-- a quiet beer at Wrigley Field?

I used to get a Thai guy (late 30's) come in every day In out café - he had breakfast, and drinks here and there - he took a table in the corner furthest from the door and staid there from morning until afternoon. He used his laptop and phone, had papers on the table - and generally worked from the table. We never made a fuss, we have enough tables (only once or twice had all the tables full and then the kitchen can't cope anyway! - and he was not there at either time as these were both evenings and weekends). About twice a week or so, he brought his family in for a meal (table for 4).

Customers and customers - regulars are golden, and for the price of his laptop trickle feed battery charging, he returned, took up space that no one really used, made us look not-empty during quiet periods (amazing how empty cafes put off potential customers), paid his way, and kept the staff awake. He was also a nice guy who loved to chat (mostly about golf).

I guess if a customer came in at a time when he had no empty plates in front of him, they would think he was either the owner or a freeloader - neither was true.

We did have the farang women though that used to sit outside and use the wifi - we changed the password daily, but she would order a water and ask for the password - then sit at the table outside for a couple for hours using the internet for free. Annoying, but such is life. Happened for a few weeks then she stopped coming (guess she moved on/went home).

The sign says "Free wifi for customers" - not "Free wifi for anyone".

Thanks for your articulate and well-balanced post. The big difference between your establishment and the one in question is, as you say, that you had enough tables. The coffee shop that I was talking about is tiny, and certainly cannot cope with someone who wants somewhere to "work" while making the most minimal of purchases when compared with normal customers.

Those who have howled in protest at this thread are, I suspect, cut from the same cloth as the silver surfer, and don't like their inconsiderate activity to be highlighted. For heaven's sake, internet charges are low enough here, or are some of you some of you so far down skid row that you can't afford that? What next?... doing your washing in the coffee shop's toilet? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This particular small one does well without ol' Cheap Charlie and his ilk in it. I've never seen it suffering from lack of trade, only from a lack of available seats on several occasions.

Just took a wee wander out from the new abode..... a good coffee shop right nearby, and with free wifi. biggrin.png I was going to post from there, but maybe that could look like I was taking the ####. coffee1.gif However, still lacks the ambience of my old haunt, but that's a bit too far to walk every time I need a caffein fix.

But just for sheer devilment, I'll drop in whenever I am nearby, and check on Cheap Charlie..... whistling.gif

• Like 1

I used to get a Thai guy (late 30's) come in every day In out café - he had breakfast, and drinks here and there - he took a table in the corner furthest from the door and staid there from morning until afternoon. He used his laptop and phone, had papers on the table - and generally worked from the table. We never made a fuss, we have enough tables (only once or twice had all the tables full and then the kitchen can't cope anyway! - and he was not there at either time as these were both evenings and weekends). About twice a week or so, he brought his family in for a meal (table for 4).

Customers and customers - regulars are golden, and for the price of his laptop trickle feed battery charging, he returned, took up space that no one really used, made us look not-empty during quiet periods (amazing how empty cafes put off potential customers), paid his way, and kept the staff awake. He was also a nice guy who loved to chat (mostly about golf).

I guess if a customer came in at a time when he had no empty plates in front of him, they would think he was either the owner or a freeloader - neither was true.

We did have the farang women though that used to sit outside and use the wifi - we changed the password daily, but she would order a water and ask for the password - then sit at the table outside for a couple for hours using the internet for free. Annoying, but such is life. Happened for a few weeks then she stopped coming (guess she moved on/went home).

Good post. And I think the sort of customer the OP was talking about is the farang woman in your example. I'm sure you'll agree that if every customer was like her, you'd have a problem. But most people, thankfully, are not like that. And there is the whole point of this thread. I agree with Rob that people who take advantage of an establishment (like yours) should be discouraged from doing so. I don't know why so many people are up-in-arms with the OP. He's dead-on.

• Like 1

In the time that I was there (drinking coffee, I would add!), I didn't notice this guy consume anything.

Wait a minute... so you are saying that you got a seat despite the boorish computer-user? Or did you just stand there stupidly drinking your coffee, casting mournful looks all about you?

If you had a seat, then how in any possible way did this guy affect you? There is an implied contract between the computer user & the coffee shop owner; there is an implied contract between you & the coffee shop owner. However, there is no contract between you & the computer user. You have no rights whatsoever in the matter. As long as the coffee shop owner is not aggrieved, then all is well. Of all the battles you can choose in your seemingly empty life, why would you pick this one?

Give the guy a break—he hadn't had his coffee yet!

T

Yeh but he wrote all this after he had his coffee or certainly after he had plenty of chance to have it, didn't he?
But did he (OP) write this on his computer using the Coffee Shop WIFI or use another shop?

Good post. And I think the sort of customer the OP was talking about is the farang woman in your example. I'm sure you'll agree that if every customer was like her, you'd have a problem. But most people, thankfully, are not like that. And there is the whole point of this thread. I agree with Rob that people who take advantage of an establishment (like yours) should be discouraged from doing so. I don't know why so many people are up-in-arms with the OP. He's dead-on.

Yes, I must admit I did consider putting in some safe guards - fair use policy. Not that difficult, instead of opening the router, you open a software router on a pc (which links to the router - free downloads of such software exists on the web). This is basically how internet cafes work - they can then allow you in and or not and time/data limit your connection. It is then easy enough to give each new computer (actually captures the MAC address of their network card) linking a pin that expires after say 60 minutes (which is fair) - and then putting up a "60 minutes of free Wi-Fi" sign. However, never needed it, so didn't bother - but that little coffee shop may like to consider something like that.

Maybe good for business having people sitting there even if not spending money. People sitting in your cafe.. looks attractive to other people who come in and spend money. When you see a restaurant full of people you assume its good. When its empty, it doesnt seem appealing. Maybe

Edited by BuffaloRescue
  • Like 1

Maybe good for business having people sitting there even if not spending money. People sitting in your cafe.. looks attractive to other people who come in and spend money. When you see a restaurant full of people you assume its good. When its empty, it doesnt seem appealing. Maybe

All very well, but the coffee shop in question was definitely NOT empty. Cheap Charlie was occupying one of a relatively small number of tables in the place.

......and today I did. I was having a wee wander through town today, and decided to stop in for a coffee. No sign of the Silver Surfer, nor any other Cheap Charlie hogging space in the tiny coffee shop.

But, gadzooks! people there were drinking coffee and eating cakes. How strange.

Nothing to see here. Move along.....coffee1.gif

tongue.png

• 1 month later...

A guy decides to have a quiet coffee,and the use of free wi-fi,and in walks a middle class snob who calls everybody a cheap charlie

55555 Too funny, I thought the concept of "Free WiFi" was to bring in the customers that wanted to enjoy drinking and surfing, go figure.....

This is our favorite post of the year so far. I am still looking out for the stingy farang who is "bald on top" and have not found him yet. When he is located Interpol will be notified forthwith.

Edited by arunsakda