Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

Please get you facts right.

A short extract from the song was played by both the BBC's and commercial radios' chart shows, along with an explanation of why they weren't playing the song in full; i.e. that it was in bad taste.

Something I hope they would do with any song which celebrated the death of anyone; whether I agreed with the deceased politics or not.

The BBC were well aware of the satirical nature of the other song but played it in full as it was not celebrating her death but a comment on her policies. (See here)

Interesting that you accuse them of lack of balance for not playing it (even though they did!) yet the Daily Mail say that playing it 'caused outrage' (see here).

Seems to me that yet again the BBC are facing accusations of bias from both extremes of the political divide. A sure sign that they are getting it about right, in my opinio..

Maybe the person who made the statement would sit down with you over a nice cup of English tea and discuss the facts.

Doubt it some how young man.

Like you said just about right in your opinion,,,,,so your opnion isnt just about right...... it is right..... and it is your opinion,,,,not any of the links that you kindly provided..

You learn something new everyday

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Margaret Thatcher's funeral will cost £10 Million pounds.This equates to the building of 2 brand new primary schools at £5 Million pounds each.Wouldn't naming these schools after Thatcher be far more beneficial and bring both sides of this longstanding divide a little closer together?

• Like 1

Margaret Thatcher's funeral will cost £10 Million pounds.This equates to the building of 2 brand new primary schools at £5 Million pounds each.Wouldn't naming these schools after Thatcher be far more beneficial and bring both sides of this longstanding divide a little closer together?

So so churlish, Margaret won 75 Billion (i.e.not million) in rebates for the UK from the EU.

Besides as far as I've heard the Thatcher family is covering a substantial part of the funeral cost.

You can't have a funeral at nil cost however I wholeheartedly support your proposal to name something after to her to honor her life and achievements.

• Like 1

I'm sure you could have a funeral for a few thousand pounds rather than £10 million.No pleasing some people.

You could, however she wasn't the president of Albania, she was the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and the longest serving Prime Minister of the 20th century.

• Like 1

I'm sure you could have a funeral for a few thousand pounds rather than £10 million.No pleasing some people.

I repeat, she won 75Bn in rebates which is 750 x 10 million. A 10 million of which the family are covering a significant percentage

No, satisfying the mean-spiritedness of some apparently

• Like 1

I repeat, she won 75Bn in rebates which is 750 x 10 million. A 10 million of which the family are covering a significant percentage

No, satisfying the mean-spiritedness of some apparently

Look at my signature and reflect carefully before deciding to repeat.smile.pngsmile.png

• Like 1

What a waste of hard working taxpayers money!

I don't work but I do pay a lot of tax. I'm glad my tax is being spent on honoring Margaret Thatcher rather than supporting the idle, the work shy and the feckless. Please note that I do not include the hard working working class!

Completely mis-representative post, the Queen expressly indicated her desire to attend the funeral

Diane Abbot the main protaganist of the second reference is a bigoted & manic racist, not worthy of any intelligent airtime

Completely mis-representative post, the Queen expressly indicated her desire to attend the funeral

Diane Abbot the main protaganist of the second reference is a bigoted & manic racist, not worthy of any intelligent airtime

The Queen was it appears never a huge fan of Maggie and is quite protective of the panoply of state rituals (remember Diana and the flag / state funeral) so it is entirely reasonable to suggest that she may have had doubts at the way this has been handled. As for Diane Abbot - she is a good friend and TV companion with Michael Portillo who was a member of Maggie's cabinet so I suspect that he would take umbrage with your extreme opinion of her.

I pay plenty of tax too but would prefer it spent on something more worthwhile.

Thankfully your personal preference for a budget funeral is not significant in comparison to the elected government's preference for a more respectful ceremony to one of the greatest UK's leaders.

• Like 2

The Queen was it appears never a huge fan of Maggie and is quite protective of the panoply of state rituals (remember Diana and the flag / state funeral) so it is entirely reasonable to suggest that she may have had doubts at the way this has been handled. As for Diane Abbot - she is a good friend and TV companion with Michael Portillo who was a member of Maggie's cabinet so I suspect that he would take umbrage with your extreme opinion of her.

Never a huge fan ?

This was the first funeral after Churchill that the Queen expressly indicated she wished to attend

Diane Abbot a good friend of Michael Portillo ? She's a 'friend' in a media sense for god's sake on TV, hardly real life. Whether he would defend her is up to question, however I have seen her being totally bigotted on national tv and that's not an extreme view.

• Like 1

Please try to stay slightly on the topic of Lady Thatcher.

My apologies, let me rephrase:

If you are Uk non-resident, why do you think you are paying for the funeral of Lady Thatcher?

Er, because I am still paying UK income tax and so, in common with other UK taxpayers, I am contributing towards the cost of her funeral, albeit in a very small way, since it is being paid for out of the public coffers.

Ah I see, so you are UK non-resident but not for tax purposes, understood! Sorry, let's get back on track else we'll get yelled at.

The cost of her funeral may still be born by Expats Taxes,through having an Income or Private Pension Scheme,taxed at source,in the UK!

I do not celebrate her death…not now, after her 23 years of retirement from public life.

I would certainly have celebrated her death had it occurred whilst she was the Prime Minister so comprehensively rejected by my country, Scotland. Her death, at this current time, is of no significance…other than to remind Scots of the need to vote for independence in order to prevent another Thatcher controlling our lives despite any democratic legitimacy, in a way so contrary to our own culture and our views on the nature of our society.

Thatcher as well as her legacy Blair are the 2 main recruiting factors for an Independent Scotland

Agreed her death is of no significance

Disagree Cameron has arleady enforced a Thatcher style will and policy on the people of Scotland,It is happening now

A lot of this debate has been about figures .statistics etc

You can bet the figure of people who find it offensive and corript and a political act for the costing of the funeral with their money in Scotland at least will beway higher than the 10% mentioned earlier

Feelings run so deep of Thatchers History in Scotland,this could easily be a boost for Salmonds Campaign for an Independant Scotland,and i'm English! perhaps that's why he kept his speech on her passing,extremely low key?

My apologies, let me rephrase:

Please try to stay slightly on the topic of Lady Thatcher.

If you are Uk non-resident, why do you think you are paying for the funeral of Lady Thatcher?

Er, because I am still paying UK income tax and so, in common with other UK taxpayers, I am contributing towards the cost of her funeral, albeit in a very small way, since it is being paid for out of the public coffers.

Ah I see, so you are UK non-resident but not for tax purposes, understood! Sorry, let's get back on track else we'll get yelled at.

The cost of her funeral may still be born by Expats Taxes,through having an Income or Private Pension Scheme,taxed at source,in the UK!

I worked it out, based on a taxable UK income of GBP16,500 per year, the average expat with such an income would contribute GBP 0.032 towards the cost of the funeral.