A Couple Of Driving Tips For Cm

iainiain101

1) If you are traveling towards Lamphun and get caught by the traffic lights turning red just outside the Holiday Inn. Simply turn into the drive through road tax entrance and out of the exit and avoid the traffic lights altogether!

2) Heading out of town on the Hang Dong road and want to avoid the 'clean' car being sprayed by the water haze? Just turn into Tesco's and drive through to avoid them. This also doubles as a further traffic light avoidance.

Any one know any further useful 'rat runs'?

Iain

• Like 2

1. If you're heading out of town from the superhighway towards the Ruam Chok intersection and need to visit the Ford Sales Centre, use the U-Turn just 200m before you reach get there and drive the wrong way up the carriage way to their shop. Saves driving all the way to the next U-Turn.

2. If approaching any major intersection and straight ahead has just turned red, simply left turn on red, U-turn the wrong way on the U-Turn road, then left turn again to get back on track without waiting for the lights. A policeman saw me once, he smiled, so it must be OK.

3. If heading out of town South East along Ragang Road, should the lights at the intersection with Chan Klan be red, simply turn right before the lights, left into and through the car park of the Lanna Palace, smile at security who will stop traffic on Chan Klan to let you turn right.

• Like 2

WTK good idea with the Amora parking lot... I used the soi next to the Amora once and was found guilty of going against the one-way by the local cop. Not that he'd be there at night... his specialty is the red curb parking outside Starbucks and the one way on the little soi behind Amora.

I used to go through ta pae gate on the bike a lot - I guess like everyone else, until they installed the iron bar road block there. At first, it the bar didn't extend all the way to the sides so you could still get around it rather easily on a scooter. A week later they made it wider...

WinnieTheKhwai, on 10 Apr 2013 - 08:18, said:

Approaching Thapae gate late at night and notice a police checkpoint up ahead? Dive left

through the Amora hotel parking lot, out into the back soi, up Chang Moi, right past

Veerachai Court, cross Thapae Road and dive immediately into soi 3, out on to Loy Kroh

via soi 4, right turn from LK out on to Sridonchai via Kotchasarn 5 / Sridonchai 1, closest to

the moat as possible so you can immediately turn right off from Sridonchai into a tiny soi

past the temple into Ragang Rd, right via Rat Chiang Saen Soi 2A (ก) and Rat Chiang

Saen 1 to Suriyawong Rd, then via Nantaram 5ก and Nantaram 5 proper to wards

Nantaram 6 (left turn, tiny soi) where you can cut through to Sriping Muang which ends

at Thippanet/Wualai, and then it's easy peasy from there of course. thumbsup.gif

bloody hell winnie, i thought i new every rat run around chiang mai but im impressed with that u even no the name of the roads,and soi numbers.
  • Like 1

Approaching Thapae gate late at night and notice a police checkpoint up ahead? Dive left

through the Amora hotel parking lot, out into the back soi...

Last time I did that I got stopped by a gaggle of ladyboys who came out of the shadows on that small soi. So riders beware if it's late! Keep those sticky fingers away from your pockets.

• Like 1

2. If approaching any major intersection and straight ahead has just turned red, simply left turn on red, U-turn the wrong way on the U-Turn road, then left turn again to get back on track without waiting for the lights. A policeman saw me once, he smiled, so it must be OK.

When someone drove into me while doing this the police were anything but smiley and knew full well what no u-turn signs and yellow cross-hatched areas mean. Do it at your peril.

through the Amora hotel parking lot, out into the back soi, up Chang Moi, right past

Veerachai Court, cross Thapae Road and dive immediately into soi 3, out on to Loy Kroh

via soi 4, right turn from LK out on to Sridonchai via Kotchasarn 5 / Sridonchai 1, closest to

the moat as possible so you can immediately turn right off from Sridonchai into a tiny soi

past the temple into Ragang Rd, right via Rat Chiang Saen Soi 2A (ก) and Rat Chiang

Saen 1 to Suriyawong Rd, then via Nantaram 5ก and Nantaram 5 proper to wards

Nantaram 6 (left turn, tiny soi) where you can cut through to Sriping Muang which ends

at Thippanet/Wualai, and then it's easy peasy from there of course. thumbsup.gif

That was priceless, Winnie. Thanks for that. Not that I'll ever follow it. I just accept paying my "road tax" from time to time.