Border Crossing Twice In Same Day?

I would like to spend a week or two in Laos. My double entry visa requires me to return to Thailand before April 16th. I will go to the Laos border tomorrow. Is it possible to leave the country, re-enter to activate my 2nd entry, then leave again to Laos in the same day?

Yes, you can enter Thailand twice on the same day. But the reason to do so is unclear. When you enter Thailand the first time you will activate your toruist visa (what seems to be your purpose) but when you leave Thailand for the second time, your permission to stay would be cancelled unless you get a re-entry permit after you have entered Thailand for the first time that day and before you leave Thailand for the second time.

You can only get a re-entry permit at an immigration office, not at the border. Thus that might be difficult given that the 16th is a holiday.

Without a re-entry permit you will lose your permisison to stay when you leave for the second time. Up on return without a re-entry permit you would only get 15 days by land or 30 days if you return by air. (Depending on your nationality)

The re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht and you will need a passport photo an copies of passport and arrival card. At most offices it shouldn't take long.

So there isn't any way to visit Laos and maintain my 60 day visa upon return?

Yes, the re-entry permit is the way to go for that. But you have to get the re-entry permit after you enter for the first time and before you leave the second time

(Just to make sure, you know that you can extend a toruist visa by 30 days for 1,900 baht at immigration?)

In that case, is there an immigration office near the border and is it possible to go take a bus to the border, leave Thailand, re-enter, get a re-entry permit, then leave Thailand again all in one day?

I guess I'm asking if the immigration office is close to the border and if the wait time is long.

That depends on which border you use. At some points the office is very near the actual border. For instance in Mae Sod the office is about 50 meters from the actual border.

For Laos there are several border crossings you can use.

You could do it.

There is an immigration in Nong Kai close to the bridge. If you come from bridge just go straight ahead and it will be on the left.

It should not take long to get but will depend upon how busy the office is.

Edit: I wrote this assuming you are going to Vientiane. At other locations immigration would be much farther away.

Edited by ubonjoe