American Publisher Found Dead In His South Pattaya Apartment

Rimmer

Is it a coincidence or crime against farang increased tenfold after russians come here?

You got somebody to kill? Call 1-800-RUSMAFIA to kill while they are in Thailand, (and other countries Russian Mafia has operatives).

I did not know the man personally, but as an American of some stature I would speculate to say that his contact with the Russian Mafia may have been minimal.

Yes, crime does seem to have increased against people with white skin color since the increase, but I have seen no statistics to back this up. Any statistics would be quickly challenged among those that understand how the Thai policing system works - most here are fairly familiar with the basic workings.

Thais coincidentally have trouble telling us apart from the Russians, I was last time asked if I was sent by someone with a Russian name, when I went into one of the clubs. I told them I wasn't and that I was there to observe and I was given free beers anyhow. Strange world that Pattaya place, but a good way to get away from the seriousness of the big smoke down the road in Bangkok.

I would say this death which appears to be on the verge of being considered a suicide through self inflicted wounds whilst under the influence of narcotics may have a little more attention than the average death placed on it by the US Embassy - it is famous for looking after its' figures of importance and rightly so IMO -many embassies do not do enough for their nationals overseas anymore.

Thank God for editing

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this man wasn't Marilyn Monroe but he perhaps has had a more "important" life than the average f-rang suspicious death case in Pattaya.

Does that mean the investigation of his death will get more attention by the authorities, or not?

Ethically, should it?

Let's face it -- so many of these local investigations are shoddy. Will this one be any different?

"Shoddy" that's gotta be the understatement of the year.

Edited by johnlandy
  • Like 1

I am a friend of Tim's from the states trying to get a handle on what really happened. I can't seem to get Thai papers on a google search, but perhaps if any of you would give me links I could run them through the translator.

Tim was in some ways an "important" person in the music business at one time though far more significantly he was also much loved and liked among the close knit few who worked in music at the same time as he did. He was very clever, intuitive, brave and strikingly honest in a sometimes slippery business. This is a very distressing thing for many of us stateside even if we had been out of touch. Any concrete news would be helpful.

It seems on this forum that many feel that it is unlikely that his killer can be caught, is that true?

• Like 1

Nope.

No demand means no supply and demand is in the behest of the individual.

People with mush for brains and no will power to resist temptation should not be dictating the rules.

No-one makes people take drugs, they do it from free personal choice.

Execute all who push or use and at worst, the population will improve as a result.

RIP to this fellow but just how much did he contribute to his own demise ?

In Iran they have the same policies as you suggest.............................drug use and smuggling are higher than ever.

Penalties are NEVER a solution.

Absolutely. The harsh penalties ensure high prices so the producers and distributors get rich.... as well as many corrupt police.

Edited by tropo

Some people on here need to be ashamed of the comments that they've made!

Do you live in a cave..?? I am an old guy and I know who all those folks are.

As far as I'm concerned they stopped making good music in the 80s. I'm guessing that all these people I've never heard of came after that.

Most bars here play the stuff that stopped in the 80's.

Edited by davethailand

In 2008, police solved 35 percent of the homicides in Chicago, 22 percent in New Orleans and 21 percent in Detroit and indications are that the percentages that get solved is dropping further. Not sure about the UK but the point is that unsolved murders are not unique to Thailand but let's hope this one is solved. RIP.

I am a friend of Tim's from the states trying to get a handle on what really happened. I can't seem to get Thai papers on a google search, but perhaps if any of you would give me links I could run them through the translator.

Tim was in some ways an "important" person in the music business at one time though far more significantly he was also much loved and liked among the close knit few who worked in music at the same time as he did. He was very clever, intuitive, brave and strikingly honest in a sometimes slippery business. This is a very distressing thing for many of us stateside even if we had been out of touch. Any concrete news would be helpful.

It seems on this forum that many feel that it is unlikely that his killer can be caught, is that true?

i can`t offer any advice, I will say good luck trying to get anything helpfull on this forum though

In answer to you closing sentence; yes, it is unlikely. Thai investigations are subjective, and subject to how much 'incentive' (payment) is offered to find the culprit. Investigations here are also short-lived and generally inept. Because Thai investigators either don't want to find clues, or don't have the training/wherewithal to find them (and don't pursue leads as one would expect), then there are often unsolved scenarios. Add to that, an ingrained belief in supernatural/karma/ghosts, and you have a recipe for inept investigations. Oh, and there's the premise: bad publicity emanating from a tourist venue = less tourist dollars, which may be the over-riding reason for hurried and incomplete investigations.

• Like 2

Go to the police for your questions.

In answer to you closing sentence; yes, it is unlikely. Thai investigations are subjective, and subject to how much 'incentive' (payment) is offered to find the culprit. Investigations here are also short-lived and generally inept. Because Thai investigators either don't want to find clues, or don't have the training/wherewithal to find them (and don't pursue leads as one would expect), then there are often unsolved scenarios. Add to that, an ingrained belief in supernatural/karma/ghosts, and you have a recipe for inept investigations. Oh, and there's the premise: bad publicity emanating from a tourist venue = less tourist dollars, which may be the over-riding reason for hurried and incomplete investigations.

How do I contact the police there via email? I can only locate phone numbers taht have so far gone unanswered.

How can i reach Police Colonel Suwan, the Pattaya Police Chief who was said to be "first on the scene" (isn't that odd?)

How can i reach Police Colonel Suwan, the Pattaya Police Chief who was said to be "first on the scene" (isn't that odd?)

The next of kin should contact the US Embassy, they should give you some info.

RIP Tim, didnt know you personally but a big music fan who knows the bands you worked with.

Hope for a decent investigation & some justice.

Unfortunately as it seems too often in these types of cases it may not be had.

Thoughts with friends & family.

How do I contact the police there via email? I can only locate phone numbers that have so far gone unanswered.

Sorry to inform you, phone calls to police won't help. They either go unanswered, or someone answers and they don't speak English. After a few minutes of giggling and/or waiting with a loud crackly Thai pop song in your ear, you either get hung up upon, or get someone who speaks a few broken words of English. Note: when the 2006 earthquake happened at sea off southern Indonesia, it was detected in Hawaii, and an official there tried to call someone in Thailand to tell them to prepare for a possible tsunami. Who to call? And in the unlikely event that they got someone on the phone, that person wouldn't likely be able to converse in English. Even if that person understood English, they probably wouldn't even understand the word 'tsunami' (prior to that big event, about 0.01% of Thais knew that word). Even if they understood the warning message, no Thai person would sound the alarm - it's a very un-Thai thing to do. .....wouldn't want to disturb anyone, would we?

You'd be better off trying to contact one of the Pattaya residents on this forum, and see if that person can assist you.

How do I contact the police there via email? I can only locate phone numbers that have so far gone unanswered.

Sorry to inform you, phone calls to police won't help. They either go unanswered, or someone answers and they don't speak English. After a few minutes of giggling and/or waiting with a loud crackly Thai pop song in your ear, you either get hung up upon, or get someone who speaks a few broken words of English. Note: when the 2006 earthquake happened at sea off southern Indonesia, it was detected in Hawaii, and an official there tried to call someone in Thailand to tell them to prepare for a possible tsunami. Who to call? And in the unlikely event that they got someone on the phone, that person wouldn't likely be able to converse in English. Even if that person understood English, they probably wouldn't even understand the word 'tsunami' (prior to that big event, about 0.01% of Thais knew that word). Even if they understood the warning message, no Thai person would sound the alarm - it's a very un-Thai thing to do. .....wouldn't want to disturb anyone, would we?

You'd be better off trying to contact one of the Pattaya residents on this forum, and see if that person can assist you.

Yes, I have experienced the phone thing. The person at the Pattaya Police station seems to sort of understand when I ask for Colonel Suwan, then they seem to put the phone down and I hear people talking and what sounds like a police radio or intercom then some laughing (really) then back on the phone to say "no, no" and hang-up. We have called several times. Maybe it's just too early in the morning?

Some of us have different tastes than to follow druggies and their druggie music.

RIP Mr. Carr, whoever you were and wherever you are. I hope you finally found peace.

I offer something soothing for those who don't know this music, this musician, his nationality, his ambassador, the composer, his nationality, or just what it takes to do this.

RIP to this Mr. Carr. Seriously. It might have kept you alive.

Seriously, RIP.

Edited by NeverSure

Ah, the peace and quiet of Pratumnak shattered again, the ThaiVisa armchair detectives should have a field day with this one!

RIP Mr Carr - whatever the circumstances.

I'll bite.........

A long knife wound across his chest was evident.

Police suspect he died in suspicious circumstances.

Can't pull the wool over their eyes eh?

AnnaZed, My condolences on the loss of your friend. The best chance you have of getting Tim's death properly investigated is to get this story into the international media as quickly as possible. It seems Mr. Carr was known and respected in the music industry, perhaps some people with influence can get some powerful media interests attention.

• Like 2

Is it a coincidence or crime against farang increased tenfold after russians come here?

You got somebody to kill? Call 1-800-RUSMAFIA to kill while they are in Thailand, (and other countries Russian Mafia has operatives).

I did not know the man personally, but as an American of some stature I would speculate to say that his contact with the Russian Mafia may have been minimal.

Yes, crime does seem to have increased against people with white skin color since the increase, but I have seen no statistics to back this up. Any statistics would be quickly challenged among those that understand how the Thai policing system works - most here are fairly familiar with the basic workings.

Thais coincidentally have trouble telling us apart from the Russians, I was last time asked if I was sent by someone with a Russian name, when I went into one of the clubs. I told them I wasn't and that I was there to observe and I was given free beers anyhow. Strange world that Pattaya place, but a good way to get away from the seriousness of the big smoke down the road in Bangkok.

I would say this death which appears to be on the verge of being considered a suicide through self inflicted wounds whilst under the influence of narcotics may have a little more attention than the average death placed on it by the US Embassy - it is famous for looking after its' figures of importance and rightly so IMO -many embassies do not do enough for their nationals overseas anymore.

Didn't take long for the Russians to be introduced into this news article by Thaivisa morons who regularly blame everyone for any crime in Thailand... Please go home for Songkran and give us a break...

Of course we all know this death was caused by a redshirted ladyboy from Russian who is related to a high up polititcian currently living in Dubai and it was okayed by the local mafia, bib, expat mafia etc etc or it could have been the Beastie Boys who he may owe money to (or not) or even Maggie Thaitchers ghost.......

Hopefully above is all the senarios possible so please do not bother repeating any of those unlikely theories.

Tte most likely conclusion will be the drugs caused him to kill himself, no embarrassment or bad publicity for Thailand in this result.

Why can people just offer condolences and not stupid explanations based on zero facts. Thaivisa specialist critics.... A species that needs to be extinct... maybe I should call the Russians ???

• Like 1

I met him a few times over the years. He was a very quiet, low-key, unassuming, very polite gentleman, quite unlike what I would have expected a well-known record executive to be like. He never brought any attention to himself and I never saw him in the least bit rowdy. He wrote an interesting autobiographical piece (and was interviewed) in AfterDarkAsia Vol. 14 back in about 2010. He discussed his high-profile music career and 20-plus years of visiting and living in Pattaya. Rest in peace, Tim.

Thank you, Barefoot.

Didn't take long for the Russians to be introduced into this news article by Thaivisa morons who regularly blame everyone for any crime in Thailand... Please go home for Songkran and give us a break...

Of course we all know this death was caused by a redshirted ladyboy from Russian who is related to a high up polititcian currently living in Dubai and it was okayed by the local mafia, bib, expat mafia etc etc or it could have been the Beastie Boys who he may owe money to (or not) or even Maggie Thaitchers ghost.......

Hopefully above is all the senarios possible so please do not bother repeating any of those unlikely theories.

Tte most likely conclusion will be the drugs caused him to kill himself, no embarrassment or bad publicity for Thailand in this result.

Why can people just offer condolences and not stupid explanations based on zero facts. Thaivisa specialist critics.... A species that needs to be extinct... maybe I should call the Russians ???

"...was found with deep knife wounds to the chest by his landlord..."

http://www.pattaya103.com/tim-carr-dead-pattaya/

Kind of hard to do to yourself, actually.

Of course if it happened the way the reporter wrote it, then the knife wounds to the chest were "by his landlord."

Some of us have different tastes than to follow druggies and their druggie music.

RIP Mr. Carr, whoever you were and wherever you are. I hope you finally found peace.

I offer something soothing for those who don't know this music, this musician, his nationality, his ambassador, the composer, his nationality, or just what it takes to do this.

RIP to this Mr. Carr. Seriously. It might have kept you alive.

Seriously, RIP.

Thank you for the beautiful video, Neversure. But honestly, neither you or I could know if Lang Lang has a hidden drug problem (we can only hope he does not); nor can we know if Mr. Carr (or the artists he worked with) did. It is all just speculation and hearsay.

I agree with you; RIP. So many sad stories these days.

No, not really odd. I've noticed that whenever anything happens and especially where a foreigner is involved, it's always reported as a senior person having "rushed to the scene" or indeed even being "first on the scene". Along with the overuse of hubs and crackdowns it's just another Thai peculiarity.

Drugs. Good riddance.

No users = no pushers = no drug problems

You think everybody that uses drugs should be murdered? Am I clear on that?

Just wanted to confirm that I read your post correctly.

You must not like music, literature, film, or most of the creative arts then--being that many of the top writers, musicians, etc, dabble in drugs.

Then again, instead of killing users, maybe just le-gal-ize it? Hmmmm. Now that's a thought.

No illegal drugs=no gangsters=little to no drug related crime. I like my math better.

Edited by KuhnPaen

Important for what?

Connection to some big names in the music world both in the USA and in Thailand. That you (who are you?) haven't heard any of these names before is neither here nor there.

I bet you the American ambassador to Thailand has heard of BOTH the Beastie Boys and Sek Loso. coffee1.gif

So should I be impressed because the US Ambassad has heard of these groups?

She doesn't impress on any other grounds, now this one.

Edited by scorecard