Thailand Overwhelmed By Influx Of Foreign Tourists

webfact

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't panic all my friend's some 20+ have got the answer. They have been coming to Thailand every year for the last 8 year's, last year they said if the BT go's any lower this year it would be a no no.

Well it's happened are they still coming well no they have all booked up to go to Mexico.

-20 big spending Brit's panic over in one foul swoop.

Honestly, if a 3% change in value makes one flee to Mexico, i would hardly class them as "big spenders." More like "Cheap Charlies." Really? That changes their travel plans? LOL... Enjoy Mexico my friends...and remember to bring a gun to a gun fight, not a smile and a cold beer.
In your earlier post you said you were 'sometimes' a 'dick'. I don't believe that. fredob's story states quiet clearly that his friend's baseline for what it costs in Thailand was eight years ago. He and his friends have had steadily decreasing value for money since then. When I was in Thailand last October the Baht was 32.36 and when I left in January it was 30.35 and now it is 28.66. I spend $10,000 per year as a tourist. Since October, that's Baht 37K I don't get to spend. I happy you have a rich and successful wife and can afford to spend Baht 5K on a dinner for two at the Mandarin Oriental but your financial position has led you to look down on those who have to be careful with money during these tough financial times. Calling someone a Cheap Charlie because they don't have your wealth is 'dickish'.

Well the let's stay poor so tourists will keep coming strategy isn't a very good plan.

• Like 1

Most interesting for me in this thread were on the ground reports written by people living/working in touristy places.

My contribution: the number of visitors to the small beach resort Khao Lak, which depends almost exclusively on westerners, has definitely gone down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Annual_statistics

intersting to me: percentage of country population visiting

Singapore - 15.5%

Laos - 14.5%

Malaysia - 8.6%

Hong Kong - 6.6%

Australia - 4.1%

Sweden - 3.7%

Cambodia - 3.2%

South Korea - 2.3%

Taiwan - 1.7%

United Kingdom - 1.4%

Japan - 1.1%

Russia - 0.9%

France - 0.9%

Germany - 0.8%

Vietnam - 0.7%

Philippines - 0.3%

United States - 0.2%

China - 0.2%

Indonesia - 0.2%

India - 0.1%

Most of the bottom 10 are some of the most populated countries in the world though, so their percentages would naturally be lower. Interestin stat though and maybe Thailand could make use of this (with other info such as "average spend") to target the tourist populations that could bring the most value...if they could ever be bothered to do so!!

Edited by BwindiBoy

So much for the dire predictions by the experts on TV as to how the strong Baht would result in no tourists. 29 Baht to the USD, and record setting tourism!

Next TV theory? "Rugby fans stop drinking beer due to tiny little price increase."

Believe the TAT, huh?!

There doesn't need to be a new theory, because there has been a shift in numbers: from Westerners to Russians, Chinese...

You may figure out yourself, while this is still a huge problem for Thailand's tourism industry...but to do that, of course you would need a little more insight.

Sometimes it is just not enough to sit in your moo baan and simply love and believe everything that is being shoved down your throat!

Spoken like a true TV expert!

So much for the dire predictions by the experts on TV as to how the strong Baht would result in no tourists. 29 Baht to the USD, and record setting tourism!

Next TV theory? "Rugby fans stop drinking beer due to tiny little price increase."

Believe the TAT, huh?!

There doesn't need to be a new theory, because there has been a shift in numbers: from Westerners to Russians, Chinese...

You may figure out yourself, while this is still a huge problem for Thailand's tourism industry...but to do that, of course you would need a little more insight.

Sometimes it is just not enough to sit in your moo baan and simply love and believe everything that is being shoved down your throat!

The last time I checked, a tourist is, a tourist... regardless of passport. Sorry it is not the type you enjoy, and can sit in a pub and :educate" about how rotten Thailand is...despite the fact you choose to live in it. I sit in my lovely downtown Condo, with a view of the entire city, enjoy life with a beautiful Thai wife, who owns two companies in Bangkok and Hong Kong and speaks three languages fluently. Yes, thank you, I am loving life here.

Make the most of it while it lasts!!!!!

"The highest number of foreign visitors is from China, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam and Indonesia."

Except for Japan, these are all tourists from countries that have little disposable income to spend while on holiday. Not something to brag about.

"The highest number of foreign visitors is from China, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam and Indonesia."

Except for Japan, these are all tourists from countries that have little disposable income to spend while on holiday. Not something to brag about.

Understand what you are saying but really, the Russians are not spending??

every bar on koh chang I went to was empty last week except for 4 or 5 staff and me, sheet not many drinkers but a few tourists about, 2nd time here and can smell the smoke everyday, puts me off,I am looking at Borneo next trip, cheers

You can smell Smoke in Koh Chang? That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard, and don't worry when they start burning down in Indonesia , Borneo will certainly get its fair share of smoke.

Makes no sense. This place is more expensive than ever yet more people than ever are coming. I just don't get it.

Your right about being expensive now

I am not experiencing a increase in visitors here on Koh Chang, I was easily able to book rooms over the Songkran period yesterday, which normally is impossible. Driving around the last few weeks most of the palaces are empty,other than 7/11s.

Believe the TAT, huh?!

The last time I checked, a tourist is, a tourist... regardless of passport. Sorry it is not the type you enjoy, and can sit in a pub and :educate" about how rotten Thailand is...despite the fact you choose to live in it. I sit in my lovely downtown Condo, with a view of the entire city, enjoy life with a beautiful Thai wife, who owns two companies in Bangkok and Hong Kong and speaks three languages fluently. Yes, thank you, I am loving life here.

This statement alone shows, that you have no clue what you are talking about!

Before I explain to you why, let me congratulate you on your great life and wife and how happy-go-lucky you are.

And: I love Thailand...that is exactly, why I criticize it from time to time...you know...criticism...the stuff you learned back home, but obviously left at the airport, once you arrived here?!

Now back to the "tourist is a tourist"- bubble you created!

Explain one simple thing to me: if it is as you say, why is it, that hotels give an agent different rates for different markets?

Why is the rate for the German market the lowest (almost with every hotel) and the Indian (f.e.) much higher?

It seems that for hotels and agents a tourist is not a tourist.

Why is that so?

Well...on average (this is no racism...just observation over years and years) the German traveler spends 10 days in Thailand.

The Chinese and Indian spends an average of 7.

While the Russians mostly prefer places like Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket (party and shopping) the Germans, Czech or French go to Khao Lak or Hua Hin.

Why do you think, there are so many Arab- places around Sukh Soi 1? Because that is where the Middle Eastern people go.

By the way: try and make an offer to an Arab company, about Khao Lak.

It will not sell!

Why?

Muslims are not really beach- lovers and besides beach, there is nothing much to do, down there.

The Germans and Scadies love it!

Scandies love to travel with family!

Germans don't!

Germans and Scandies spend a lot of money outside of the hotels for food in small restaurants...Indians and Chinese travel on package tours, stay in the hotel a lot or only to pre- booked places!

Yeah...a tourist is a tourist!

Believe the TAT, huh?!

Spoken like a true TV expert!

I am working in tourism for 20 years, 18 of which in Asia- related businesses and very focused on Thailand.

....and you are doing...what??

A lot of them do not spend in the local business

Believe the TAT, huh?!

Well bully for you. Am I supposed to be envious?

Do you not realise that there is a vast difference between a "western" tourist that stays in low star or no star hotels, eats in local restaurants, frequents the bars and pumps vast amounts of money into the "local" economy, and an "Asian" tourist ( specifically Chinese ) that stays in only a few hotels, eats in only a few restaurants and shops only where the tour guides take them. The latter puts very little money into the hands of low level Thai hotel, bar and shop owners.

every bar on koh chang I went to was empty last week except for 4 or 5 staff and me, sheet not many drinkers but a few tourists about, 2nd time here and can smell the smoke everyday, puts me off,I am looking at Borneo next trip, cheers

You can smell Smoke in Koh Chang? That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard, and don't worry when they start burning down in Indonesia , Borneo will certainly get its fair share of smoke.

For Koh Chang, I thought he was talking about bong smoke that puts him off.

• Like 1

Most interesting for me in this thread were on the ground reports written by people living/working in touristy places.

My contribution: the number of visitors to the small beach resort Khao Lak, which depends almost exclusively on westerners, has definitely gone down.

Hmmmmm. I've wanted to visit there a long time, but the expense of accomodation has put me off. I wonder if the prices will now go down, or in the time honoured Thai way, will they make it even more expensive to stay?

....i didnt move to thainland to be in mumbai,or moskow....

Oh, I love the irony . . . you didn't move to a foreign country to be . .. nah, too good to not leave it as it is

>What happened to Malaysians and Singaporeans who treats hat yai like their local playground.

I give up, what happened to them? And how did they treat HY as 'their local playground' . . . and is this a bad thing?

Do you not realise that the main supply of tourists for Hat Yai is ( ? was ) men from the south coming to "play"?

For Koh Chang, I thought he was talking about bong smoke that puts him off.

You could be right, if he's hangin out in Scratherville, I.e. Lonely Beach.

Nice clear sunny day here so far though

Don't panic all my friend's some 20+ have got the answer. They have been coming to Thailand every year for the last 8 year's, last year they said if the BT go's any lower this year it would be a no no.

Well it's happened are they still coming well no they have all booked up to go to Mexico.

-20 big spending Brit's panic over in one foul swoop.

Honestly, if a 3% change in value makes one flee to Mexico, i would hardly class them as "big spenders." More like "Cheap Charlies." Really? That changes their travel plans? LOL... Enjoy Mexico my friends...and remember to bring a gun to a gun fight, not a smile and a cold beer.
In your earlier post you said you were 'sometimes' a 'dick'. I don't believe that. fredob's story states quiet clearly that his friend's baseline for what it costs in Thailand was eight years ago. He and his friends have had steadily decreasing value for money since then. When I was in Thailand last October the Baht was 32.36 and when I left in January it was 30.35 and now it is 28.66. I spend $10,000 per year as a tourist. Since October, that's Baht 37K I don't get to spend. I happy you have a rich and successful wife and can afford to spend Baht 5K on a dinner for two at the Mandarin Oriental but your financial position has led you to look down on those who have to be careful with money during these tough financial times. Calling someone a Cheap Charlie because they don't have your wealth is 'dickish'.

Well the let's stay poor so tourists will keep coming strategy isn't a very good plan.

Well, it would help if they actually improved the service/ infrastructure from when they were "poor" if they want a more affluent tourist to visit. It's still just as rubbish as when I first came many many years ago.

In fact, Pattaya has become MORE decrepit since the first time I visited.

I would like to say something to the TV community. I often write nasty and sarcastic replies to

those who spend the day throwing Thailand under the bus. I have taken a moment to ask myself why.

It is not because I think all Thias can walk on water, or it is a country of pure perfection. It is because I have self respect, and am an adult who made a decision to leave my native land to find a better and more happy life here. I could have gone anywhere,or stayed home. I chose Thailand, it did not choose me.

When a person spends their energy saying. “I hate it here, this sucks and I do not like the people” to me…they are saying “I am a helpless unhappy child not capable of making decisions that best serve my own self interest. I am a fool who chooses to remain in a situation I do not enjoy, and my only form of resolving this problem is to bitch and moan about it.”

That is the root of my sarcasm. It is like saying, “I could have married a beautiful woman, but elected to marry a fat cow who smells like dirty socks…oh boo hoo, poor me!”

That is why I keep posting variations of the American saying, “If you do not like what you are doing, do something else.” That is what we tell employees who whine about their job all day. You came to me and asked for a job, and got it. This is how we run our company, if it does not suit you, no blood, no foul…just pack up your stuff, and move on.

Same in this case.

Honestly, if you can do better than Thailand, why do you waste your precious and few days here? Really, grow a pair, pack your bag, and move to a better place. It is just that simple. The constant “my homeland is sooooo much better” rants make no sense! If that is true, it should be easy to return. You speak the language, do not need endless Visa hassles, relate to the population,

and were weaned on that type of food…etc.

Have some self respect and stop advertising the fact you made a mistake, are not happy, and for some odd reason, are helpless to fix it.

Thailand is not perfect, and I certainly am very far from perfect too, but I CHOOSE to live here, and make the best of it. I have learned much from the Thai about working hard, respecting others and generally sucking it up and moving forward, regardless of the obstacles (Look at the photos of the flood, do you see how they simply grasped the reality of the situation, and did the best they could

in a tough time?)

I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times, and I suppose it is not my business, but this is a public forum, read by people around the world, and to an outsider reading these posts, Thailand must seem like a pretty awful place. If it is so awful, why is it a major tourist destination, and why do so many foreigners make such efforts to live and remain here?

Simple. Thailand is a good place to live, with wonderful hard working people who do not let life get

them down. They are, in fact, a lot more resilient and optimistic than we Westerners are.

If you choose to make poor life decisions, live in places with a population you dislike…etc…why do you lose face by advertising the fact that you are like a child and cannot resolve this problem?

Well done mate...good for you. I only hope that you never experience anything to open your eyes.

I'd perhaps suggest that many of those who post in this way, have had these self same experiences at some point in their past and now know a little better...??

Incidentally, have you ever checked out the definition of trolling...? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Clearly, you have missed the point, or my writing skills are not sufficient to make this idea understandable The thesis here is, if you are not happy in your situation, change it, and if it means in this scenario, leave Thailand ..so be it. If I were to experience something that changed my opinion, and made me unhappy to live here, i would not bitch about it, I would leave. It is a big world, filled with excellent choices. By the way, this posting has received about a dozen "Likes" in a very short period of time.

So, Yes, I know what trolling is, and the question is, which of us is employing the tactic? You could have just read this and went on your merry way, but did not. Your point is???

Do you not accept that someone can prefer to live in Thailand than anywhere else, but still vent about the many and varied problems that exist here?

Yes, there is probably less to bitch about re infrastructure and public services back "home", but it's so overwhelmingly PC and expensive that somewhere like LOS is a far better place to reside.

They are spending. Maybe not as you expect or in the "traditional" sectors.

• Like 1

I would like to say something to the TV community. I often write nasty and sarcastic replies to

those who spend the day throwing Thailand under the bus. I have taken a moment to ask myself why.

It is not because I think all Thias can walk on water, or it is a country of pure perfection. It is because I have self respect, and am an adult who made a decision to leave my native land to find a better and more happy life here. I could have gone anywhere,or stayed home. I chose Thailand, it did not choose me.

When a person spends their energy saying. “I hate it here, this sucks and I do not like the people” to me…they are saying “I am a helpless unhappy child not capable of making decisions that best serve my own self interest. I am a fool who chooses to remain in a situation I do not enjoy, and my only form of resolving this problem is to bitch and moan about it.”

That is the root of my sarcasm. It is like saying, “I could have married a beautiful woman, but elected to marry a fat cow who smells like dirty socks…oh boo hoo, poor me!”

That is why I keep posting variations of the American saying, “If you do not like what you are doing, do something else.” That is what we tell employees who whine about their job all day. You came to me and asked for a job, and got it. This is how we run our company, if it does not suit you, no blood, no foul…just pack up your stuff, and move on.

Same in this case.

Honestly, if you can do better than Thailand, why do you waste your precious and few days here? Really, grow a pair, pack your bag, and move to a better place. It is just that simple. The constant “my homeland is sooooo much better” rants make no sense! If that is true, it should be easy to return. You speak the language, do not need endless Visa hassles, relate to the population,

and were weaned on that type of food…etc.

Have some self respect and stop advertising the fact you made a mistake, are not happy, and for some odd reason, are helpless to fix it.

Thailand is not perfect, and I certainly am very far from perfect too, but I CHOOSE to live here, and make the best of it. I have learned much from the Thai about working hard, respecting others and generally sucking it up and moving forward, regardless of the obstacles (Look at the photos of the flood, do you see how they simply grasped the reality of the situation, and did the best they could

in a tough time?)

I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times, and I suppose it is not my business, but this is a public forum, read by people around the world, and to an outsider reading these posts, Thailand must seem like a pretty awful place. If it is so awful, why is it a major tourist destination, and why do so many foreigners make such efforts to live and remain here?

Simple. Thailand is a good place to live, with wonderful hard working people who do not let life get

them down. They are, in fact, a lot more resilient and optimistic than we Westerners are.

If you choose to make poor life decisions, live in places with a population you dislike…etc…why do you lose face by advertising the fact that you are like a child and cannot resolve this problem?

Well done mate...good for you. I only hope that you never experience anything to open your eyes.

I'd perhaps suggest that many of those who post in this way, have had these self same experiences at some point in their past and now know a little better...??

Incidentally, have you ever checked out the definition of trolling...? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Clearly, you have missed the point, or my writing skills are not sufficient to make this idea understandable The thesis here is, if you are not happy in your situation, change it, and if it means in this scenario, leave Thailand ..so be it. If I were to experience something that changed my opinion, and made me unhappy to live here, i would not bitch about it, I would leave. It is a big world, filled with excellent choices. By the way, this posting has received about a dozen "Likes" in a very short period of time.

So, Yes, I know what trolling is, and the question is, which of us is employing the tactic? You could have just read this and went on your merry way, but did not. Your point is???

Do you not accept that someone can prefer to live in Thailand than anywhere else, but still vent about the many and varied problems that exist here?

Yes, there is probably less to bitch about re infrastructure and public services back "home", but it's so overwhelmingly PC and expensive that somewhere like LOS is a far better place to reside.

I agree better to vent your frustration on a medium like TVF than to bottle it up till you do the Pattaya condo high dive.

Makes no sense. This place is more expensive than ever yet more people than ever are coming. I just don't get it.

Your right about being expensive now

Depends where you come from. Not long back from Australia - most of our friends are going to Europe or US this year. Much better value (and several mentioned being sick of seeing bad things about Thailand in the media).

Edited by Konini

Is this your experience in Koh Chang?

Is this your experience in Koh Chang?

sorry if you are referring specifically to Ko Chang, I wasn't.

Where I am in Pattaya, Russians, Chinese, Indians at street stalls, food courts, renting song taews, beach chairs, buying in bazaars, patronising beach vendors etc. they are in the nicer hotels too. It's a fallacy that they do not spend on the local economy.

• Like 2