Thailand Overwhelmed By Influx Of Foreign Tourists

webfact

How are the statistics compiled? coffee1.gif
I ask because as border runs became more necessary for obtaining shorter permissions to visit, I'd expect it caused an apparent increase in the number or "tourists" entering the nation? Year to year comparrisons may also be thrown off because the first years of new rules were immediately after the yellow and then red protests - which may have forced an abnormally low starting point for measuring.

• Like 1

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to say something to the TV community. I often write nasty and sarcastic replies to
those who spend the day throwing Thailand under the bus. I have taken a moment to ask myself why.

It is not because I think all Thias can walk on water, or it is a country of pure perfection. It is because I have self respect, and am an adult who made a decision to leave my native land to find a better and more happy life here. I could have gone anywhere,or stayed home. I chose Thailand, it did not choose me.

When a person spends their energy saying. “I hate it here, this sucks and I do not like the people” to me…they are saying “I am a helpless unhappy child not capable of making decisions that best serve my own self interest. I am a fool who chooses to remain in a situation I do not enjoy, and my only form of resolving this problem is to bitch and moan about it.”

That is the root of my sarcasm. It is like saying, “I could have married a beautiful woman, but elected to marry a fat cow who smells like dirty socks…oh boo hoo, poor me!”

That is why I keep posting variations of the American saying, “If you do not like what you are doing, do something else.” That is what we tell employees who whine about their job all day. You came to me and asked for a job, and got it. This is how we run our company, if it does not suit you, no blood, no foul…just pack up your stuff, and move on.

Same in this case.

Honestly, if you can do better than Thailand, why do you waste your precious and few days here? Really, grow a pair, pack your bag, and move to a better place. It is just that simple. The constant “my homeland is sooooo much better” rants make no sense! If that is true, it should be easy to return. You speak the language, do not need endless Visa hassles, relate to the population,
and were weaned on that type of food…etc.

Have some self respect and stop advertising the fact you made a mistake, are not happy, and for some odd reason, are helpless to fix it.

Thailand is not perfect, and I certainly am very far from perfect too, but I CHOOSE to live here, and make the best of it. I have learned much from the Thai about working hard, respecting others and generally sucking it up and moving forward, regardless of the obstacles (Look at the photos of the flood, do you see how they simply grasped the reality of the situation, and did the best they could

in a tough time?)

I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times, and I suppose it is not my business, but this is a public forum, read by people around the world, and to an outsider reading these posts, Thailand must seem like a pretty awful place. If it is so awful, why is it a major tourist destination, and why do so many foreigners make such efforts to live and remain here?

Simple. Thailand is a good place to live, with wonderful hard working people who do not let life get
them down. They are, in fact, a lot more resilient and optimistic than we Westerners are.

If you choose to make poor life decisions, live in places with a population you dislike…etc…why do you lose face by advertising the fact that you are like a child and cannot resolve this problem?

How are the statistics compiled? coffee1.gif

I ask because as border runs became more necessary for obtaining shorter permissions to visit, I'd expect it caused an apparent increase in the number or "tourists" entering the nation? Year to year comparrisons may also be thrown off because the first years of new rules were immediately after the yellow and then red protests - which may have forced an abnormally low starting point for measuring.

That is simply brilliant, and makes a great deal of sense! Food for thought for sure, since we know there are three forms of lies:

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Thank you for this fresh and interesting observation.

How were these statisics compiled? coffee1.gif ....

Statisitics can lie, and since I see no way of deleting this apparent double post... I've edited the 2nd edition. Darn ISP connection didn't show the 1st as having gone through.

I agree that too many posts display a disrespect for a nation that I've moved to for my retirement. No nation is perfect. The variations can be viewed either as interesting or as a cause for hair pulling. Myself, I stay here because I like the rural family life I've been welcomed into, and I see it as better prepared to handle the long term global issues of climate/ energy/ food and such than other places I've lived.

Edited by RPCVguy
  • Like 2

overwhelmed is an understatement,''swamped'' ''burried'' are a few words that come to mind,they talked about this 10 years ago,and now they are caught with thier panyts down,but is the type of tourist that makes me laugh,they just go to the mall,or hang out at the hotel lobby,i my self am not happy here as much as i was a few years ago,the desstruction of our beaches and the bus after bus after bus filled with those tourists,they dont mingle they dont share they dont bring anything to our community other than caos and pollution...i try hard to see the good,i really do,but this is the end of our city,i know of many freinds now say they will look else where for a new retirement home,as i may soon too,but i know this is happening in most south asain spots,vietnam is now seeing the arrival of the tour groups,places like vung tao and nha trang have seen increase in crime commited by foriengers who see oportunity, in the growing'' tourist destinations''............i say ''end the tour buses and bring back bicycles and the '' rickshaw''.....just what we need, slow moving wicker traffic...''when you find paradise,kiss it goodbye''.....lyrics to ''the last resort'' the eagles and mr Don Henley....

How were these statisics compiled? coffee1.gif

I ask because as rules changed that force some visitors to do more border runs, the raw count of people entering Thailand would increase. The rules changes happened about the same time as protests were causing people to avoid traveling here, so another aspect of year-2-year comparison may be influenced by an artificially low starting count.

Stated even more clearly, and spot on!

I do not know why it tourism is such a big deal in Thailand.The amount of tourists coming here compared with worldwide figures is nothing special. Even in Asia they only come fourth behind China,Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Thailand,at present,gets appx. 19 million a year. China 57 million.Malaysia 24 million.Hong Kong 22million.

The top tourist destinations worldwide are: France 79 million. China 57 million. USA 62 million Spain 56 million.Italy 46 million.Turkey 33 million.Britain 29 million. Germany 28 million. etc.etc....

The amount of people arriving by air should not be used as a tourist statistic. They could be business people or coming for another reason other than tourism.So why all this fuss about Thailand being flooded with tourists?

• Like 2

I do not know why it tourism is such a big deal in Thailand.The amount of tourists coming here compared with worldwide figures is nothing special. Even in Asia they only come fourth behind China,Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Thailand,at present,gets appx. 19 million a year. China 57 million.Malaysia 24 million.Hong Kong 22million.

The top tourist destinations worldwide are: France 79 million. China 57 million. USA 62 million Spain 56 million.Italy 46 million.Turkey 33 million.Britain 29 million. Germany 28 million. etc.etc....

The amount of people arriving by air should not be used as a tourist statistic. They could be business people or coming for another reason other than tourism.So why all this fuss about Thailand being flooded with tourists?

I do wonder how many of the 22 million in Hong Kong are "tourists" By your definition, I would guess about 25%. I have been to Hong Kong 5 times, purely on business and on a two day turn around I would not, by your definition be a tourist. Now, how many business travelers do you honestly think fly to Thailand compared to Hong Kong??

If you had spent 50mn USD putting up a beach front property on the basis of these somewhat inaccurate numbers, you would care.

Tourism is important to Thailand, it gets 20mn odd, and it is increasing. It provides millions of jobs, and brings in a bunch of money to a lot of people, many of whom don't have world class education, but own businesses that feed families. lest we forget, that Thailand still has an awful lot of people living on the back of whether the rain falls or not.

The shame of it is that the endless pursuit of growth of numbers is putting a huge strain on the beach resorts and the environment around them. The product that is Thai tourism is I believe going to get found out, unless they start to think a lot more in the long term instead of just chasing tomorrow's buck on the cheap. I was in Pattaya last week, surrounded by thousands of apparently happy Europeans, Russians and Chinese. Would I class going there as a Thai/Asian experience. Hardly. It was like Torremolinos with skin.

This development can't be undone very easily, so everyone just has to put up and shut up.

I would like to say something to the TV community. I often write nasty and sarcastic replies to

those who spend the day throwing Thailand under the bus. I have taken a moment to ask myself why.

It is not because I think all Thias can walk on water, or it is a country of pure perfection. It is because I have self respect, and am an adult who made a decision to leave my native land to find a better and more happy life here. I could have gone anywhere,or stayed home. I chose Thailand, it did not choose me.

When a person spends their energy saying. “I hate it here, this sucks and I do not like the people” to me…they are saying “I am a helpless unhappy child not capable of making decisions that best serve my own self interest. I am a fool who chooses to remain in a situation I do not enjoy, and my only form of resolving this problem is to bitch and moan about it.”

That is the root of my sarcasm. It is like saying, “I could have married a beautiful woman, but elected to marry a fat cow who smells like dirty socks…oh boo hoo, poor me!”

That is why I keep posting variations of the American saying, “If you do not like what you are doing, do something else.” That is what we tell employees who whine about their job all day. You came to me and asked for a job, and got it. This is how we run our company, if it does not suit you, no blood, no foul…just pack up your stuff, and move on.

Same in this case.

Honestly, if you can do better than Thailand, why do you waste your precious and few days here? Really, grow a pair, pack your bag, and move to a better place. It is just that simple. The constant “my homeland is sooooo much better” rants make no sense! If that is true, it should be easy to return. You speak the language, do not need endless Visa hassles, relate to the population,

and were weaned on that type of food…etc.

Have some self respect and stop advertising the fact you made a mistake, are not happy, and for some odd reason, are helpless to fix it.

Thailand is not perfect, and I certainly am very far from perfect too, but I CHOOSE to live here, and make the best of it. I have learned much from the Thai about working hard, respecting others and generally sucking it up and moving forward, regardless of the obstacles (Look at the photos of the flood, do you see how they simply grasped the reality of the situation, and did the best they could

in a tough time?)

I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times, and I suppose it is not my business, but this is a public forum, read by people around the world, and to an outsider reading these posts, Thailand must seem like a pretty awful place. If it is so awful, why is it a major tourist destination, and why do so many foreigners make such efforts to live and remain here?

Simple. Thailand is a good place to live, with wonderful hard working people who do not let life get

them down. They are, in fact, a lot more resilient and optimistic than we Westerners are.

If you choose to make poor life decisions, live in places with a population you dislike…etc…why do you lose face by advertising the fact that you are like a child and cannot resolve this problem?

And your point is??smile.png

The highest number of foreign visitors is from China, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam and Indonesia.

Interesting to see that the tourists mostly come from China and other parts of Asia. and someone told me they are all from the west.

lets hope they get some staff that speaks Chinese.

Top 20 Most visiting nationalities............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Annual_statistics

Malaysia second? Probably just weekend visits for a bit of 'how's your father'.

So much for the dire predictions by the experts on TV as to how the strong Baht would result in no tourists. 29 Baht to the USD, and record setting tourism!

Next TV theory? "Rugby fans stop drinking beer due to tiny little price increase."

I agree with and share your sarcasm, but truth is--relatively speaking--there are very few USA tourists at 29 per dollar; it's just too far and too expensive. There are lots more Europeans, Scandinavians, Australians, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. As prices are very high in much of Europe, Thailand is still a good deal. But that is not as true for the U.S. Every market is different.

That said, I too await the next TV theory...

So much for the dire predictions by the experts on TV as to how the strong Baht would result in no tourists. 29 Baht to the USD, and record setting tourism!

Next TV theory? "Rugby fans stop drinking beer due to tiny little price increase."

I agree with and share your sarcasm, but truth is--relatively speaking--there are very few USA tourists at 29 per dollar; it's just too far and too expensive. There are lots more Europeans, Scandinavians, Australians, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. As prices are very high in much of Europe, Thailand is still a good deal. But that is not as true for the U.S. Every market is different.

That said, I too await the next TV theory...

I use the USD as a benchmark, as does the rest of the world, to measure relative strength. This was not about US tourists. Please replace that with "A really strong Baht, one of the world's top performing currencies, and seen at present as a safe haven for investment and return..relative to all world currencies"

LIke most of us on here, I am dependent on "hunches". I come to Chiang Mai every winter for six months, staying in the Nimmanheimin/Canal Road/Huay Kaew areas.

In the five years I have been doing this, I have seen numerous restaurants in the area close down or have fewer and fewer customers.

If you walk on Nimman itself, you will see millions of coffee shops, some of them well occupied, but with the usual problem for the owners (I would have thought) that many of the clientele are local "cheap-charlie" young Thais making one coffee last five hours while they stare woodenly at their tablets.

So, from this purely amateurish "feel" for what is going on in CM, my guess would be that there are fewer and fewer European tourists, and yes, as the figures suggest, more and more Asian tourists, seeking to spend the absolute minimum, and always going around in groups.

I do wonder how many of the 22 million in Hong Kong are "tourists" By your definition, I would guess about 25%. I have been to Hong Kong 5 times, purely on business and on a two day turn around I would not, by your definition be a tourist. Now, how many business travelers do you honestly think fly to Thailand compared to Hong Kong??

Tourists or visitors . . . Arrivals, perhaps? Having said that, there are over 40 million arrivals I believe - so how does that translate into these figures?

I have a post-grad in economics and can't figure out their bizarre collection of numbers.

(As for HK, I do believe you'll find that the vast majority of tourists are from the mainland and come either by air or via Shenzhen. I was in HK in January on business, staying at the Marco Polo . . . most of the other guests were mainlanders with more money than westerners can throw around)

• Like 1

A recent crack down on Russian tourist guides in Phuket was just in time to satisfy an increasing number of Russian tourists. What would be next step? Crack down on Chinese? Also a so smart decision to trace all foreign tourists in Thailand and to oblige hotels as well as individuals to report about EVERY foreigner sleeping for a night or two in the hotel or a private house to the Immigration office was a move in the same direction. The only obstacle for officials is the Thai commoners who are yet nice and friendly to foreigners. If not them, anybody would avoid to travel to Thailand. As an example, in March I have spent 5 hours in a line at the Poipet-Aranyaprathet immigration office to get into Thailand together with a huge number of other foreigners. This was true care of the Thai officials and Immigration Office officers about the tourists! They were working not in hurry, nope. A long line of people waiting for a permit to get into Thailand did not disturb them and did not make them to work faster, as they are cold-blood professionals. So, they just want to multiply and to get higher wages, and to get more bribes from foreigners, don't they?

<snip>I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times<snip>

No problem, we all have off days.

So, can I ask... how long have you been here?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It is not a case of "having a bad day" as much as sick and tired of the attitude held by many who choose to live here. I am going on to year three, and have carved out a wonderful life here. I work hard, make good money, have a beautiful and highly educated Thai wife who runs an international business with offices in Bangkok and Hong Kong, enjoy a spectacular view form a great condo, and enjoy living in a Thai portion of town with few foreigners. My street is filled with local business, nice restaurants, happy Thai middle class people who work very hard for what they have, and far from the Red Light mayhem others endure.

In short, i made a good decision, and am as happy as i have ever been.

It is my sincere hope you too have found a piece of happiness here. To me, it is much the same real life i had before work & more work, but finally, with a reward of getting a happy and sane return for it. I think the idea that life here is an "Endless Holiday" may be the root of the disconnect. I am not a tourist, or on holiday, i live here, work here and have a family to respect and care for. That may be the difference in my view.. it is not a Perfect Life, it is simply a Good Life.

LIke most of us on here, I am dependent on "hunches". I come to Chiang Mai every winter for six months, staying in the Nimmanheimin/Canal Road/Huay Kaew areas.

In the five years I have been doing this, I have seen numerous restaurants in the area close down or have fewer and fewer customers.

If you walk on Nimman itself, you will see millions of coffee shops, some of them well occupied, but with the usual problem for the owners (I would have thought) that many of the clientele are local "cheap-charlie" young Thais making one coffee last five hours while they stare woodenly at their tablets.

So, from this purely amateurish "feel" for what is going on in CM, my guess would be that there are fewer and fewer European tourists, and yes, as the figures suggest, more and more Asian tourists, seeking to spend the absolute minimum, and always going around in groups.

But there are not fewer European tourists, definitely not 'fewer and fewer' as in Chicken Little . . . have a look at the stats posted earlier, they are quite self-evident.

Ok, if you classify Russians as Europeans then their numbers have swelled from app 1 to 1.3 million in 2011/12

Australians 829k to 930k

Brits 844k to 870k

Americans 681k to 767

Germans 619k to 681

and on it goes . . .

There are actually 'more and more' . . . and heaps 'more and more' Asian tourists

The highest number of foreign visitors is from China, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam and Indonesia.

Interesting to see that the tourists mostly come from China and other parts of Asia. and someone told me they are all from the west.

lets hope they get some staff that speaks Chinese.

Top 20 Most visiting nationalities............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Annual_statistics

Wow - increase of 1 million visitors from China from 2011 to 2012. That explains the overcrowding (and the loud voices) on the BTS.

so the airport has a capacity of 45Mil a year but is suppose to be operating at 51-55Mil passengers soon. I think they need to have a capacity of 75Mil for the future , it wasnt a very well planned airport so looks like they will increase Don Mueng in the near future for more and more flights! How about more direct international flights to Phuket or Koh Samui??

Yeah having more tour guides speak engish is also a problem many thai dont want to learn english

<snip>I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times<snip>

No problem, we all have off days.

So, can I ask... how long have you been here?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. ....................................

Excellent . . . you are happy. Good for you. You don't complain. Well done. Others complain - let them, why should it bother you. Are you their keeper? Ignore the whiners, simple . . . but to spend so much time on seemingly endless posts tongue-lashing the whingers while letting everyone know that your wife is successful in an international function, you live in a great condo etc . . . seems more than a bit contrived.

It may seem too good to be true, but not contrived. You know full well why i need to go on and on about her International Business...etc. because if i do not qualify the fact that she has more money, success and frankly ... class...than many readers, I will have to endure endless disrespectful jokes that insinuate that like the case of many of the readers here, she migrated from Rent to Own on some street corner. Hardly the case, rest assured.

Anyway, your key point is well made, and i think it is my own fault for allowing myself to be dragged into this silly fray, and do respect your insight that if i choose to wrestle dogs, i should expect some fleas in return. Please have a good day, and safe happy Songkran.

Thailand has a labour shortage, zero unemployment and too many tourists lol

Again as Winston Churchill said, "There are three kinds of Lies. They are Lies, Damnable lies, and Statistics.

Examples:

Labor shortage. Ask a Thai just out of schoola bout trying to get a job (caveat) that pays a decent living wage.

Zero Unemployment. Put an ad for a decent paying job in a Thai newspaper and see how many Thais show up. (decent paying job = a job that pays you enough to live on).

Too many tourists. (You mean to many toutists, but I'm not the spelling police).

To many tourists, however, seems to be a contradiction if tourisim is so immportant to the Thai economy.

But then, what do I know.

Personally, however, I'm extremely suspicious about how the Tourist Authority of Thailand decides and records who is a "tourist" on arrival.

That's the lie called "Statistics".