Bangkok: B T S Flooded After Heavy Thunderstorm

webfact

my guess is that the wet floor has probably something to do with the rain. and not with china.

Refer post 13

"I don't know whether the rain came in through open doors or not but last year I travelled on the BTS Silom line during a heavy rainstorm. Water gushed in through the air condition or the gap between the two carriages on one of the new Chinese trains. It really gushed in, not just a few drips and within a minute or two there was a huge pool of water in the carriage."

Haven't witnessed it myself, but have noticed the jerky brakes everytime (occasionally you see that on the sukhumvit line, but rarely, always on the silom line). Also I remember an article where over 10% of the CSR carriages were not accepted into service when they were delivered because of faults. BTS ended up fixing at their own cost.

Cheers

EDIT - my fault, carriages made by Changchun Railway Vehicles Co Ltd.

you see, a heavy rainstorm again. can you sense a pattern?

I sense you're being very defensive, does that count?

But perhaps you missed when the poster mentioned the water coming from either the aircon or the gap between carriages - not through the door in his remark.

Let's just admit those carriages were cheap for a reason. From what I have been told by people they will be disposed of at 10 years of age, instead of the 30 year lifetime normally counted for rolling stock. Notice that in Hong Kong, instead of replacing their Siemens carriages at 30 years, they had them refurbished and put back into service - they are much more expensive - but there are reasons.

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning that Changchun also had the contract for initial construction on the new carriages for Aust. Sydney Cityrail, finishing touches to be done by Downer EDI. The first test train was late because Chanchun had no experience with heavy stainless steel rolling stock with crash protection, and was rejected because of..

"The defects included; 'Milky' effect windscreens – apparent when under direct sunlight, no padding in the carriage ceilings, cables obstructing the driver's view, poor-quality steel welding as evident in the indents seen on some areas of the carriage exterior, gaps in the plastic moulding, handrails not lining up with stairs"

UNQUOTE

Chanchung is still a young company in the business and learning, I'm sure in 20 years they will be as good as anyone.

yes, there might be a design flaw that leads to a wet floor in heavy rain conditions. that something like this happens i would not call typical Chinese. that can happen with any manufacturer.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the picture in the OP I think it's from inside of one of the Siemens carriages. The transparent parts in the doors are of a triangular shape whereas the newer 'chinese' carriages have rounded windows in the doors. Also the beams next to the door are straight in Siemens carriages and are bend inwards on the other.

Sorry but the centre pole split and the curved poles with the glass are distinctive.

The siemens have a single centre pole and a straight pole with the glass.

I will say I prefer the look of the Changchung carriage interior, but style is fleeting, the question is does it have the same lifetime cost as the siemens.

Over the last one, two months the interior of the trains in regards to poles and straps has changed to the point that you can no longer use that as mark of distinction. The windows in the doors in the Siemens trains look like triangles pointing to each other, the chinese trains have more D shaped windows in the doors. With 'beams I meant the straight columns part of the frame to the side of the doors. In the Siemens trains they go straight up, in the chinese trains they broaden to a half V-shape inwards about 30 cm from the roof.

From memory, used the BTS a few days ago.wai.gif

Edited by rubl

Looking at the picture in the OP I think it's from inside of one of the Siemens carriages. The transparent parts in the doors are of a triangular shape whereas the newer 'chinese' carriages have rounded windows in the doors. Also the beams next to the door are straight in Siemens carriages and are bend inwards on the other.

Sorry but the centre pole split and the curved poles with the glass are distinctive.

I will say I prefer the look of the Changchung carriage interior, but style is fleeting, the question is does it have the same lifetime cost as the siemens.

Over the last one, two months the interior of the trains in regards to poles and straps has changed to the point that you can no longer use that as mark of distinction. The windows in the doors in the Siemens trains look like triangles pointing to each other, the chinese trains have more D shaped windows in the doors. With 'beams I meant the straight columns part of the frame to the side of the doors. In the Siemens trains they go straight up, in the chinese trains they broaden to a half V-shape inwards about 30 cm from the roof.

I must admit, I haven't taken a BTS since 2nd April (10 days ago), but I didn't see any change then. However some Changchung trains have been used on the sukhumvit line since they changed the signalling to bombardier from siemens.

Probably have to take one in the morning (don't like taking the car during Songkran), so I'll take note.

Cheers

I must admit, I haven't taken a BTS since 2nd April (10 days ago), but I didn't see any change then. However some Changchung trains have been used on the sukhumvit line since they changed the signalling to bombardier from siemens.

Probably have to take one in the morning (don't like taking the car during Songkran), so I'll take note.

Cheers

Getting a wee bit off topic, but I've noticed that on both lines we can have both Siemens/Changchung(?) and Siemens three/four carriage trains. Depending on time of day. Most (all?) trains have changed interiors regarding poles/handstraps, some still single row, some double. All more handheld poles especially around the door areas. Useful although at rush hour you can't fall down anywayrolleyes.gif

Did I just dream it??? As if break jerking and rumble stops aren't enough already,... what did the BTS authorities buy in train compartments, that are LEAKING????? LEAKING??????

Are those train compartments so China cheap????

Btw the link in the article doesn't work can anyone fix this???

What is break jerking? Is it some kind of dance, like break dancing?

That may be the Chinese spelling for brake-jerking??

my guess is that the wet floor has probably something to do with the rain. and not with china.

Correct - in that it has nothing to do with the country of China. However, is does have to do with the poorly manfuactured and low quality of the carriages in question. The whole supplier selection, contract negotiation and perfomance management process, receipt and inspection of goods, and commisioning processes all come into question.

Given the degree of professionalism likely involved, the low cost options, the skimming etc., is the result really that surprising?

Chinese companies, in my experience, require much closer management than when dealing with equivalent Western competitors. If you don't do that then you'll suffer the consequences. But, to be fair, they are better than some other much vaunted low cost manufacturing countries.

"BTS flooded..." headlines becomes "the floors of several BTS train cars were covered by water"

I do not take the BTS often (it is over ground isn't it?), but the wind was powerful enough to blow chairs tables and sun loungers into the pool at my condo, so I do not think it unfeasible for the wind to have carried the rain into the compartments whilst the doors were open?

+1

Siemens carriages now have split poles.

"BTS flooded..." headlines becomes "the floors of several BTS train cars were covered by water"

I do not take the BTS often (it is over ground isn't it?), but the wind was powerful enough to blow chairs tables and sun loungers into the pool at my condo, so I do not think it unfeasible for the wind to have carried the rain into the compartments whilst the doors were open?

+1

What's all the fuss about. Put some drain holes in the floor and they will dry out. Who cares, obviously not the BTS. All over in a few days.

Did I just dream it??? As if break jerking and rumble stops aren't enough already,... what did the BTS authorities buy in train compartments, that are LEAKING????? LEAKING??????

In a way yes,... and in other words, it's a way of saying the BTS doesn't stop the right way, but rumbles 3-6 times uncomfortably,...

its the abs activating

Then the sure fire tip off as to whether on not they are Chinese cars would have to be the lighted strips over the doors showing car position. Unless the Siemen cars were retrofitted with them as well.

So if your Toyota, Honda or Nissan got wet inside everytime it rained I guess you would say this had something to do with the rain and not with Japanese quality.

This is a well know technique know by the older expats from our old bus riding days. It is a well known fact that all red buses in BKK are fitted with the British made "Jerkometer" and that bus drivers have instructions from the BMA to activate the Jerkometer at least 1000 times a day or they must expect a hefty reduction in their salary at the end of the month. Heavy on/off braking is used to activate the Jerkometer.

dead man switch?

I must be getting old because though having used the BTS quite a few times I wouldn't have a clue how many poles, straps or triangles pointing at each other the carriages have.

I must admit that only after the topic on 'doors opened as stopping before station reached' I really started to pay attention. That means for about the first time since starting to use BTS in December 5th, 1999 wub.png

Then the sure fire tip off as to whether on not they are Chinese cars would have to be the lighted strips over the doors showing car position. Unless the Siemen cars were retrofitted with them as well.

The sure tip off photo in the OP doesn't show that part of the train's interior rolleyes.gif

Anyway as said before the windows in the doors indicate to me a Siemens carriage wai.gif

I must be getting old because though having used the BTS quite a few times I wouldn't have a clue how many poles, straps or triangles pointing at each other the carriages have.

I must admit that only after the topic on 'doors opened as stopping before station reached' I really started to pay attention. That means for about the first time since starting to use BTS in December 5th, 1999 wub.png

Oh, you didn't ride before that?

• 1 month later...

This evening's journey home on the BTS.

I got on at Ari, and the whole length of the (new generation) train coming from Mor Chit was covered in a slick of water. A storm had passed about 20 minutes earlier.

Although not as bad as in April, it's clear that the problem still hasn't been resolved.

Not sure why the phot. has loaded on its side, but you get the picture (geddit?)

post-77133-0-31204600-1369920747_thumb.j

Edited by arthurboy