Enforcement Of Thai Debts On My Way Out?

FunFon

If the landlady hasn't been paying her tax on the rental income (common in Thailand), reporting the unpaid rent to a government agency may not be worth her while. The tax man can ask for back taxes over many years.

She many not have the option of reporting your debt.

-

That's a good point, and one more in favour of my approaching her early on playing it straight out to negotiate her letting me exit more or less gracefully.

But others are telling me via PM that's a stupid idea and I should do my best to just disappear when all my ducks are lined up, even if I have to pay another month's rent before leaving.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful and constructive input.

Note (again and again for those who insist on thinking the worst) none of this has anything to do with running out on the debt itself, just the practical strategies required to enable me to be able to pay it off - and obviously get back to being self-sufficient supporting my family properly - as soon as possible.

Any sympathy I had for you is now gone.

The fact that you even acknowledged the taxation issue as a negotiating tool shows me that you really have no respect for a Thai landlady that has extended credit for you and your family. You owe her. Pay her.

The solution is not complex. Get home. Get 3 jobs. Live in your Mum's spare room and eat noodles until you have paid everyone back, including your ex-Thai wife who is literally mortgaging the rice farm for you to fly home.

You made bad decisions and seem to want to continue that trend. Your questions project your intent.

Say what you want, but I think you will get home and stiff everyone. That's just the vibe I get from you.

I truly feel sad for your kids and your ex-wife. They deserve better...put it right.

I couldn't have said this better myself. I agree 100%

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. One of the worst traits in life is Schadenfreude or to 'kick somebody when they're down'. But for someone who has had no problem telling others that You obviously have no understanding of Thai culture it's not hard to understand why some are less than sympathetic

I read this advice a ways back (actually 25 MAR 2013):

Agree in full, but would like to point out that "mistakes" aren't a problem until you've dug yourself in so deep that it's a major deal to move on. Keep your life to what fits in two checked and one carry-on and you can up and go anytime you like no worries.

Changing partners and living locations every couple of years definitely helps keep things light and easy. . .

-- FunFon #38

-

Yes, and what's your point?

Given my life experience that's exactly what I will continue to advocate for younger single guys looking to settle down, sink their money into their wife's family real estate etc.

You'll also find dozens of pitches for the free vasectomy service at C&C - now you see why.

You think I should only give people advice that matches up with the choices that have led me to where I am today?

No -- but some disclosure that such is not your actual circumstances would make you seem less of a hypocrite

This landlord can't stop you leaving Thailand. She doesn't have the power. Wouldn't happen, your conscious is getting to you. I hope you have the nuts to front up at her door and just tell her the story and what you plan to do about it. If you were my tenant, I wouldn't have let you stay that long. You should have sorted this out 11 months ago.

Funfon, would you have let a tenant stay a year rent free in your house?

Now to save you some face, get a mod to close this thread, go face your patient landlord, explain yourself to her and for your families sake, sort your mess out. I'm hoping next time we hear from you, it's all sorted ok. All the best.

I guess she is "making merit" by letting you stay without paying... "Merits" will increase in the measure of her writeoff.

-

No she was just being careless and not monitoring her bank accounts, and then didn't have the heart to throw us out, plus as I said for the past eight months she's gotten 130% on the dot every month, but the outstanding backlog remains at 14 months.

-

Not sure how it got to this, but I am rather skeptical of an ex-wife demanding interest etc and wanting to come to Europe. And salary on top of it.

She doesn't want to go, but is willing to do so for the sake of the kids.

The amount she's asking for is less than I gave her as spending money here before we got married, and I plan to actually give her 20% as my income ramps up once the debts are paid.

Still a tiny fraction of what any form of childcare would cost back there, and with the side benefit of preventing me from making yet another mistake in that department 8-)

-

For your landlady, I believe the result will be a clean writeoff. You cannot materially pay off a debt

-

No, paying it off will be a tiny burden compared to the loss of my self-respect if I don't.

It's very likely within a year I'll be within shouting distance of the quarter-million a year I was making twenty years ago, no way it'll be less than 100K.

-

all you can do is simply tell her that you cannot pay. Be prepared to move out within the hour

-

No way I'm going to have that conversation with her in person if she has the ability to pick up the phone and have me arrested. I think once I've secured the few things that are actually important to me (insignificant resale value, mostly sentimental, some computer data and some books) I'll communicate via email and telephone from an unknown location.

Whoops time to catch the train, gotta run!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628326-british-man-trapped-in-thailand-for-four-years-is-back-home/

Rather than packing your stuff and taking it why don't you sell it to her for the back rent? Seems more fair than the picture I'm seeing at the moment.

I would go along with this, sell everything and then go. Once you are back home send any moneys owed back to your landlord and don't burn your bridges.

From my reading the Visas & Migration to Other Countries Forum, getting the EX-wife to UK when one is basically flat broke may be no sure thing.

-

Not relevant in our situation, she's got a long-term multi-entry tourist visa, but since she's changed her name will need to get it transferred to a new passport, hoping that will be straightforward.

Once she's in-country as the documented biological mother of citizens I'm sure we'll have to jump through some hoops but basically they can't really break up the family.

Actually if they did she'd be happy to come back, she doesn't really want to be there anyway, I'm the one that's going to be in a very tough spot very difficult to work full-time if that happens, my mum's not in any kind of shape to help with the kids.

Anyway current focus is just getting to mum's doorstep for now, the rest will follow one step at a time,

But for you in particular, thanks for engaging in the discussion in a constructive manner, I sincerely appreciate it.

Tell me your kidding, you really need to read the forum page on visa's for other countrys

So this guy is coming to Thai Visa and these forums for advice on how to cheat a Thai citizen out of money he owes her.

Newsflash. ****Thai people read Thai Visa.*****

SThai TV readers including quite a number of middle class Thai citizens just might be upset to learn that TV's regulatory personnel have decided to allow foreign visitors to their country to cheat this landlady. Some of them, in fact many of these people, work in banks, government, hotels, and police services.

Who in their great wisdom among TV "deciders" has decided that advising this guy (whether he exists or *not*) is a good idea ??

Whether this whole thing is a windup or not is completely and utterly irrelevant.

To suggest that escape tactics and strategies given on TV to *cheat* this woman will trigger an incredibly hostile response from Thai people who read them.

I have no doubt many of them are on holiday and this slipped by.

I have no doubt as well that among those who *let* this thing go online number their posts in the thousands and are looking forward to seeing their numbers climb with a few heartfelt RIP posts this Songkran season.

The consequences of posting this OP ( both intended and unintended) are detrimental to all foreign visitors and residents of Thailand.

In other words, just who do these "deciders" think they are ?

• Like 2

Whoops time to catch the train, gotta run! The Orient Express would make a good ending to the story.

BTW Gotta run? SRT trains in Thailand are never on time especially on beginning SongKran weekend.

Edited by JLCrab

a

The fact that you even acknowledged the taxation issue as a negotiating tool shows me that you really have no respect for a Thai landlady that has extended credit for you and your family. You owe her. Pay her.

-
I have no intention of making use of the suggestion, just being polite acknowledging a rare poster genuinely trying to offer constructive information.

"Pay her" - easy to say but as I said out of the question, can't be done until I'm back home earning some money, and then only a bit at a time believe me if it were an option I'd take it even at 4% a month just not available from any source I know of.

-
Obviously that's the plan I've already outlined, I'm sure everyone can imagine the terms the ex is imposing for her efforts, both salary as caretaker and interest on the airfare+startup stake loan.

All of which is fine with me, accepted with gratitude, wouldn't have it any other way. Plus she'll learn English, get residency right to work in farangland maybe even finish a degree or other qualification, all of which I'll actively help her with if she's willing to put in the work, hope to make it a win-win for her not just me and the kids.

You made bad decisions and seem to want to continue that trend. Your questions project your intent.

Say what you want, but I think you will get home and stiff everyone. That's just the vibe I get from you.

-
Well you're wrong, don't know what else I can say, I'm pretty sure five years from now all this will look like just another minor bump in the road, nothing at all compared to the time my little girl fell down a flight of stairs and smashed her head on the concrete eh?

Despite what the Daily Mail element will tell you the UK is not the world of milk & honey for living on denifits, you are going to have your work cut out just getting by let alone paying your debts down.

You do realise univerities charge on average £9k a year in fees don't you?

Edited by Waterloo

So this guy is coming to Thai Visa and these forums for advice on how to cheat a Thai citizen out of money he owes her.

SThai TV readers including quite a number of middle class Thai citizens just might be upset to learn that TV's regulatory personnel have decided to allow foreign visitors to their country to cheat this landlady. Some of them, in fact many of these people, work in banks, government, hotels, and police services.

Who in their great wisdom among TV "deciders" has decided that advising this guy (whether he exists or *not*) is a good idea ??

Whether this whole thing is a windup or not is completely and utterly irrelevant.

To suggest that escape tactics and strategies given on TV to *cheat* this woman will trigger an incredibly hostile response from Thai people who read them.

I have no doubt as well that among those who *let* this thing go online number their posts in the thousands and are looking forward to seeing their numbers climb with a few heartfelt RIP posts this Songkran season.

The consequences of posting this OP ( both intended and unintended) are detrimental to all foreign visitors and residents of Thailand.

Assuming you are right, and let's just put the issue here aside for a second: this forum is a place where foreigners in Thailand get help. Whether Thais read it or not is totally inconsequential. How could you let Thais control what we say? This would be a totally useless forum under that construction.

Anyway, I hope the guy is ok and is able to pay her back; who is to say the best scenario for that is NOT paying her for now?

Edited by isawasnake

Are you writing this, by any chance, from the confines of your local mental hospital ????

• Like 1

A Farang who add to the negative image many Thai people already have of foreigners.

It is quite simple, the negative image Thai people have of foreigners is forced upon them by the press, government officers, ministers and the likes simply for their own gain.

Whatever we do, mostly, we do it wrong.

We get the blame for anything, simply because we are an ideal scapegoat.

That said, I can not condone the actions of the OP.

IN MY EYES HE IS A SH*T

On the other hand, how many foreigners are duped by Thai and loose everything?

I just wonder if any of the middle class Thai people, police officers or other Thai people reading TV would be offended and get very angry if a foreigner was duped by a Thai.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1

catch the train??? arse!

i smell rat.... or maybe a larger ficticious hairy animal.... coffee1.gif

too many part truths, inconsisitencies and unrevealed facts coming out from the OP late in the day in this thread.

krisb's suggestion of asking the mods to close it to save face was kind giggle.gif

Edited by GooEng

catch the train??? arse!

i smell rat.... or maybe a larger ficticious hairy animal.... coffee1.gif

too many part truths, inconsisitencies and unrevealed facts coming out from the OP late in the day in this thread.

krisb's suggestion of asking the mods to close it to save face was kind giggle.gif

... but on the way to catch the only train in SRT history that was on time he paused to buy a lottery ticket from a crippled vendor and next week whadda-ya know ...

A Thai landlady that let you slide for 14 months on your rent?

Nice try, but I'm not biting on this fairy tale.

Exatly what I was thinking------ I have always found Landlords [or Ladys] To be on the ball when it comes to even a small amount of arrears.Ths is their bread and butter and I do not believe for a minute that she has been sitting around all this time--- 14 MONTHS--- for -f-s--without suspecting you to try and do a runner. I would rather speculate that she has also a plan,just as you have and when you try to execute yours there may be others just as ready and waiting for you. Don't kid yourself my friend you only have one option----- be fair on the kids---- get the rent sorted before you go--- If you have to take out a loan or any other way you can rake it up will pay off in the long run. And learn a lesson from it---That's life----Dougal the Kiwi

In practice she would have a copy of your passport and unless you have doctored that document the immigration could be informed and than you will be stopped and could be locked up. In that case you can bail yourself out for a fraction of what you owe but you still can't leave.

Or you take the boat to Cambodia of course, Vice Premier Chalerm's son style or you bribe the immigration official who will let you out but not put the particulars in your passport. If you are not familiar with that, don't try.

Pleas mods, you've closed threads for less than threads like this.

I feel sorry for the op, show mercy. Close this thread.

Thumbs up if you want this closed!

+1

+2

Are there actually any REAL people who ACTUALLY live in Thailand posting to this forum anymore.

A few months back the OP was ripping into me with his financial advice and tips for living here.

What a crock...snoozer can't even pay his rent.

And PLEASE TELL ME if you were behind in your rent...why weren't you working...or seeking work...rather than wasting your time flaming me on this forum?

Just another particle of the farang detritus layer removed from Thailand...good bye...

thats what i am thinking,here he is on his arse no money yet he says he is taking his wf.and kids with him,he also states he has a grown up family from 40yrs ago,how old his he to go back to work,and it dont end there his ex and kids are following as not to break up the family,what will they live on FRESH AIR.

Probably live on the goodwill of his ageing mother. He had kids 40 years ago...assume he was twenty...and assume his mother was twenty when he was born.....she would now be eighty. Not a pretty picture.......living off his mother pension or social security. If the wife has settled down, why not try and make another go of it here at least. Call her the "maid or nanny" if you like. Would be a lot less hassle than doing a runner and would give some time to sort this mess out even if leaving was the end result.

nooooo!! i said it was a kind suggestion, but i don't agree - keep it open! it's like watching a youtube compilation video of skateboarding accidents - a guilty pleasure.... but not really schadenfreuede - skateboarders know what they are getting in for and so did FunFon posting something like that in here....

Edited by GooEng
  • Like 1

This landlord can't stop you leaving Thailand. She doesn't have the power. Wouldn't happen, your conscious is getting to you. I hope you have the nuts to front up at her door and just tell her the story and what you plan to do about it. If you were my tenant, I wouldn't have let you stay that long. You should have sorted this out 11 months ago.

Funfon, would you have let a tenant stay a year rent free in your house?

Now to save you some face, get a mod to close this thread, go face your patient landlord, explain yourself to her and for your families sake, sort your mess out. I'm hoping next time we hear from you, it's all sorted ok. All the best.

do you think we will hear from this scumbag again. Thai people in general are struggling to live themselves without someone ripping them off.You wonder why alot of Thai people dont like westerners, well after the kind landlady tells her story we will know .

• Like 1

A few months back the OP was ripping into me with his financial advice and tips for living here.

-

My recollection is that I wasn't "ripping into" you at all, just trying to correct your expectation that the powers that be here have any concern for efficiency or logic in how they administer their immigration/visa/WP issues, much less any desire to make things convenient for foreigners that don't fit their predetermined pigeonholes.

My only intent there was to help you realise and accept how things work here rather than claiming they've been getting worse or thinking they're going to get better?

-

>Are there actually any REAL people who ACTUALLY live in Thailand posting to this forum anymore.

-

Do you honestly think I'm making any of this up? What would be the point?

I'm happy to defend the content of any of my assertions with anyone that would like to thoughtfully engage on the issues themselves rather than attacking me as a person.

I haven't used any other ID since I started posting under this one, and have managed to keep my nose clean wrt the forum rules so far it seems, and nothing I've posted in any incarnation has been anything but the honest truth so help me God, what else can I say.

god wont help you as you have the devils help now