Retirement Based On Monthly

"..does showing a letter to the immigration office from my bank in the UK and approved by the embassy in Bangkok showing monthly income of equalent to 65,000 THB credited to my account in the UK ok.."

AFAIK, the Embassy won't issue you with a POI letter based solely on a statement/letter provided by your UK bank. Instead they will require income evidence in the form of statement(s) from your pension payer(s) (the plural applying if you are in receipt of the UK State Pension as well as an occupational one). And, if you own property in the UK which you rent out and also wish to include in the income reckoning, you will need to provide a copy of the current tenancy agreement plus the latest 3 or 4 monthly income statements from your UK agents as well.

At least that's what I've done successfully when seeking POI letters from the Embassy for my 3 annual retirement extensions to date!

It is a sworn statement, the Embassy does not require any proof, merely you act of swearing that the income amount is true.

The British Embassy does NOT issue POI letters on the basis of sworn "scout's honour" statements as their American and Australian counterparts do. Instead, they require documentary income evidence to be provided. One advantage of this for us Brits is that Immigration are usually prepared to accept Embassy letters at face value - unlike in the case of our American and Australian cousins who, are, I gather, frequently asked for additional proof at annual extension of stay time.

No we are not 'frequently' asked for additional proof from reports I have seen on forum. And the statement before a Consular Official would make a false declaration a federal offence. The advantage I see for the UK method is a personal appearance may not be required.

It appears there is no longer a separate website for the embassy here anymore or there is a problem.

URL ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/ redirects to another site for all worldwide locations.

This seems to be the new policy, the British embassy website for Libya has gone also, took me ages to find the link to update my 'locate' info.

I worked for Al Nahr in Libya for 6 years from 2004 to 2010 and renewed my British Passport with a two day turn around twice in that time. The first renewal as stamped British Embassy Libya but the second in 2008 was stamped "FCO" (Foreign and Commonwealth Office). I have also renewed my British Passport several times in Bangkok. 2008 was the beginning of the rot setting in and now we have to send our passports to Hong Kong and wait 3 to 4 weeks to get new passports. I would not be surprised if in future we have to get the letter of proof of income from Hong Kong.

The good news is that the Embassy in Libya blog moved to Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ukinlibya

No we are not 'frequently' asked for additional proof from reports I have seen on forum. And the statement before a Consular Official would make a false declaration a federal offence. The advantage I see for the UK method is a personal appearance may not be required.

Indeed, the Dutch embassy now also asks you to make a statement and no longer requires proof. The downfall is that as you have to make a statement you have to go to Bangkok to get it, where in the past when proof of income was asked you could just apply for a statement by mail.

It appears there is no longer a separate website for the embassy here anymore or there is a problem.

URL ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/ redirects to another site for all worldwide locations.

There IS a separate website for the Embassy on GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok. However, as I pointed out in post #9, it appears to be devoid of any info regarding POI letters and other consular services provided by the Embassy.

I have also unearthed another section on GOV.UK relating to help provided to British nationals living overseas - https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/living-abroad/help-for-british-nationals-living-overseas. But, whilst it includes detailed references to consular services provided by British embassies across this great planet of ours, it is completely silent as regards those provided by the Bangkok Embassy! This has led me to conclude that either (1) the Bangkok Embassy has now ceased providing consular services of any shape, size or description to us Brit expats living in LOS, or (2) it will update GOV.UK with details of its consular services (including, presumably, POI letters) "in the fullness of time" or "at the appropriate juncture" (to paraphrase Yes Minister) - which, in practice, most likely means by the beginning of the next millennium (AD, not BE) if we're lucky!sad.png

This seems to be the new policy, the British embassy website for Libya has gone also, took me ages to find the link to update my 'locate' info.

I worked for Al Nahr in Libya for 6 years from 2004 to 2010 and renewed my British Passport with a two day turn around twice in that time. The first renewal as stamped British Embassy Libya but the second in 2008 was stamped "FCO" (Foreign and Commonwealth Office). I have also renewed my British Passport several times in Bangkok. 2008 was the beginning of the rot setting in and now we have to send our passports to Hong Kong and wait 3 to 4 weeks to get new passports. I would not be surprised if in future we have to get the letter of proof of income from Hong Kong.

The good news is that the Embassy in Libya blog moved to Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ukinlibya

Thai based applicants need only send a copy of their passport to Hong Kong.

@OJAS

Anyone that signed up @#19 realises that information is being updated worldwide & that a Thailand-specific update is imminent.

@Nahkit

'Locate' is an "ex parrot". The way ahead is to follow the Embassy in whatever country you're in via social media (& see above).

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Indeed, the Dutch embassy now also asks you to make a statement and no longer requires proof. The downfall is that as you have to make a statement you have to go to Bangkok to get it, where in the past when proof of income was asked you could just apply for a statement by mail.

Hmm, I wonder what their rationale for making the change is. Certainly not savings in staff costs, I would have thought, since obtaining sworn statements in person from applicants must surely be more labour-intensive than checking supporting income documentation.

My fingers are firmly crossed that the British Embassy doesn't go the same way since a trip to Bangkok each time I needed a POI letter really would be a pain.

Edited by OJAS

"..does showing a letter to the immigration office from my bank in the UK and approved by the embassy in Bangkok showing monthly income of equalent to 65,000 THB credited to my account in the UK ok.."

AFAIK, the Embassy won't issue you with a POI letter based solely on a statement/letter provided by your UK bank. Instead they will require income evidence in the form of statement(s) from your pension payer(s) (the plural applying if you are in receipt of the UK State Pension as well as an occupational one). And, if you own property in the UK which you rent out and also wish to include in the income reckoning, you will need to provide a copy of the current tenancy agreement plus the latest 3 or 4 monthly income statements from your UK agents as well.

At least that's what I've done successfully when seeking POI letters from the Embassy for my 3 annual retirement extensions to date!

All you need is what you have suggested plus your bank statement (in the UK) where the monies are being received. The magical stamp from your embassy is god!!

Having been using the income route for the past 7 years I can say that half what you say is totally wrong. Bank statements showing your income over the past year can be used at the British Embassy because they clearly show government pension payments as DWP SP (Dept of Work and Pensions, State Pension). For private pensions the entry will probably say Annuity. You can of course back up the figures with P60's from your private pension provider(s).

For property rented out in the UK, on the assumption that you're using an agency to look after the property, then payments to you on the bank statements plus the invoices are all that is needed. The embassy will then provide a letter comprising 2 paragraphs, the first covering your pension income and the second rental income from property. They are likely to ask if you want it for monthly or annual payments, I say both, and it will be in pounds sterling. Applying by post has been painless and the postal charge is 100 baht plus the 2,340 baht fee and of course the cost of sending the documents.

Furthermore the application for proof of income you can do on-line. Just go to the embassy website, follow the instructions and pay the fee for having the letter posted to you.

Edited by Anon999

Actually current reports are that there is no information at all for POI on current Embassy website (they are changing to a UK based government wide system it seems). Indeed very little information of any kind on the new site. If you can find please provide the link.

I have never been asked and neither nave any of my American or Australian friends. I have only read about it being done on this forum and I don't believe all that I read.

Actually current reports are that there is no information at all for POI on current Embassy website (they are changing to a UK based government wide system it seems). Indeed very little information of any kind on the new site. If you can find please provide the link.

Attached is the latest info which the Embassy have now provided to me on POI letters - which, hopefully, will find its way on to their website sooner or (more likely, I suspect) later.

In response to the points raised in Anon999's post:-

Having been using the income route for the past 7 years I can say that half what you say is totally wrong. Bank statements showing your income over the past year can be used at the British Embassy because they clearly show government pension payments as DWP SP (Dept of Work and Pensions, State Pension). For private pensions the entry will probably say Annuity. You can of course back up the figures with P60's from your private pension provider(s).

If, as you allege, half of what I have said is totally wrong, then kindly explain to me how I have succeeded in obtaining POI letters from the Embassy at all (or with a 50% success rate at least)! Bank statements may well be fine in the case of the UK State Pension since tax is, I gather, not deducted from payments (I am still too young to claim it). For occupational pensions, however, they will only show net payments, whereas statements/P60's from your pension provider should indicate gross figures - which my local immigration office (Maptaput) at any rate have not queried in any of my annual extensions to date, despite Embassy letters making it clear that they are gross. Given the forever declining value of the GBP against the THB, this might make all the difference to determining whether or not a bank balance letter would also be necessary under the combi method.

For property rented out in the UK, on the assumption that you're using an agency to look after the property, then payments to you on the bank statements plus the invoices are all that is needed. The embassy will then provide a letter comprising 2 paragraphs, the first covering your pension income and the second rental income from property. They are likely to ask if you want it for monthly or annual payments, I say both, and it will be in pounds sterling. Applying by post has been painless and the postal charge is 100 baht plus the 2,340 baht fee and of course the cost of sending the documents.

Again a possible problem with bank statements is that they only show rent income net of agents' fees, etc. And the Embassy advised me categorically when I first requested a POI letter from them in 2007 that a copy of the latest tenancy agreement would also be required as well as agents' statements, etc. However, I do at least agree with you that making POI letter applications by post is a painless process, based on my own experiences to date!

Furthermore the application for proof of income you can do on-line. Just go to the embassy website, follow the instructions and pay the fee for having the letter posted to you.

Kindly provide me with a relevant link to the Embassy's website since I, for one, am unable to find it!

Pensionletter.pdf

Attached is the latest info which the Embassy have now provided to me on POI letters - which, hopefully, will find its way on to their website sooner or (more likely, I suspect) later.

In response to the points raised in Anon999's post:-

If, as you allege, half of what I have said is totally wrong, then kindly explain to me how I have succeeded in obtaining POI letters from the Embassy at all (or with a 50% success rate at least)! Bank statements may well be fine in the case of the UK State Pension since tax is, I gather, not deducted from payments (I am still too young to claim it). For occupational pensions, however, they will only show net payments, whereas statements/P60's from your pension provider should indicate gross figures - which my local immigration office (Maptaput) at any rate have not queried in any of my annual extensions to date, despite Embassy letters making it clear that they are gross. Given the forever declining value of the GBP against the THB, this might make all the difference to determining whether or not a bank balance letter would also be necessary under the combi method.

Again a possible problem with bank statements is that they only show rent income net of agents' fees, etc. And the Embassy advised me categorically when I first requested a POI letter from them in 2007 that a copy of the latest tenancy agreement would also be required as well as agents' statements, etc. However, I do at least agree with you that making POI letter applications by post is a painless process, based on my own experiences to date!

Kindly provide me with a relevant link to the Embassy's website since I, for one, am unable to find it!

The information is there but difficult to find, whereas before it was straightforward it took me ages. Sent an email to the Embassy and the reply is shown below. There is also a link to the PDF document that gives all the information that is required, the fee which is 2,070 baht and also how the payment is to be made if using the postal service.

You can always provide extra information, however, personally the minimum required is my approach. The first time I provided more than was needed when applying for something else that escapes my memory, the extra paperwork was handed back with the comment, 'not needed'.

Providing bank statements to show income will also cover rental payments and though they are net of the letting agents 10% fee do support the fact the money is being paid to you and not into a third party account. I do not have tax deducted, as requested to HMR&C who provide a letter, with a copy to you, to the agent stating, that they should not deduct tax.

A link to the fees page is https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-consular-fees or just type in the query 'consular fees' and you'll get the complete list for all countries.

Hope that helps.

Dear Mr ********,

Thank you for your email.

Kindly find the information about the letter as attached, please.

Regards,

Porawan

Porawan Sakunsirisub | Consular Officer | British Embassy | 14 Wireless Road | Bangkok 10330 | Thailand |

Email: [email protected] | Tel: +66 (0)2 305 8333| Fax: +66 (0)2 255 6051| www.ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk www.fco.gov.uk/travel

Follow FCO consular sites on Facebook and Twitter or my Post / country Facebook / Twitter sites

We welcome your feedback on our services"

pdf.gif

Pensionletter.pdf

77K View Download

Edited by Anon999

The information is there but difficult to find, whereas before it was straightforward it took me ages. Sent an email to the Embassy and the reply is shown below. There is also a link to the PDF document that gives all the information that is required, the fee which is 2,070 baht and also how the payment is to be made if using the postal service.

You can always provide extra information, however, personally the minimum required is my approach. The first time I provided more than was needed when applying for something else that escapes my memory, the extra paperwork was handed back with the comment, 'not needed'.

Providing bank statements to show income will also cover rental payments and though they are net of the letting agents 10% fee do support the fact the money is being paid to you and not into a third party account. I do not have tax deducted, as requested to HMR&C who provide a letter, with a copy to you, to the agent stating, that they should not deduct tax.

A link to the fees page is https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-consular-fees or just type in the query 'consular fees' and you'll get the complete list for all countries.

Hope that helps.

Dear Mr ********,

Regards,

Porawan

Porawan Sakunsirisub | Consular Officer | British Embassy | 14 Wireless Road | Bangkok 10330 | Thailand |

Email: [email protected] | Tel: +66 (0)2 305 8333| Fax: +66 (0)2 255 6051| www.ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk www.fco.gov.uk/travel

Follow FCO consular sites on Facebook and Twitter or my Post / country Facebook / Twitter sites

Looks like we've both been in touch with the Embassy independently on this matter, and I received a reply from Porawan Sakunsirisub (a helpful individual in my recent dealings with the Embassy) similar to the one he sent you! The sooner the Embassy update their website, the better from their viewpoint as well since they shouldn't then be bombarded with similar enquiry emails from other retiree compatriots of ours!

As regards providing information, I suppose it really doesn't matter what path one follows provided the end result (a POI letter) is always the same. However my personal approach with the Embassy (as with Immigration) is better too much rather than too little.

Like you, I don't have the tax on my UK property income deducted at source (or through my occupational pension), but instead make direct payments to HMRC following the submission of tax returns.

I, too, have come across the fees table referred to in your final paragraph. A POI letter seems to equate to "Preparing and single certificate, declaration or document not listed elsewhere in this table: in English" for fee calculation purposes. Interesting that there is a separate item attracting a higher rate "Preparing and single certificate, declaration or document not listed elsewhere in this table: in Thai". This presumably means that one could obtain a POI letter in Thai if need be - although immigration offices have never, AFAIK, insisted on this.

Edited by OJAS

@OJAS

Anyone that signed up @#19 realises that information is being updated worldwide & that a Thailand-specific update is imminent.

@Nahkit

'Locate' is an "ex parrot". The way ahead is to follow the Embassy in whatever country you're in via social media (& see above).

HTH

I'm not interested in a facebook account and don't see why I should have to get one just to stay in touch with my embassy.

I know that reads a bit harsh (probably should have stuck a "smiley" on the end or something) but its not aimed at you personally. I really dont see why I should be forced into something I dont want.

• Like 1

I know this is getting off-topic but the days of the two-day turn around are long gone. For the last couple of years, if you want to renew a passport they send if off to Madrid and quote a six-week turnaround.

Hope that helps.

Dear Mr ********,

Regards,

Porawan

Looks like we've both been in touch with the Embassy independently on this matter, and I received a reply from Porawan Sakunsirisub (a helpful individual in my recent dealings with the Embassy) similar to the one he sent you! The sooner the Embassy update their website, the better from their viewpoint as well since they shouldn't then be bombarded with similar enquiry emails from other retiree compatriots of ours!

As regards providing information, I suppose it really doesn't matter what path one follows provided the end result (a POI letter) is always the same. However my personal approach with the Embassy (as with Immigration) is better too much rather than too little.

Like you, I don't have the tax on my UK property income deducted at source (or through my occupational pension), but instead make direct payments to HMRC following the submission of tax returns.

I, too, have come across the fees table referred to in your final paragraph. A POI letter seems to equate to "Preparing and single certificate, declaration or document not listed elsewhere in this table: in English" for fee calculation purposes. Interesting that there is a separate item attracting a higher rate "Preparing and single certificate, declaration or document not listed elsewhere in this table: in Thai". This presumably means that one could obtain a POI letter in Thai if need be - although immigration offices have never, AFAIK, insisted on this.

And as there are about 50,000 of us Brits, Embassy figure, that could be a lot of enquiries!

Pay my tax after I get the letter from HMR&C after submitting my Self Assessment return. Always leave both to near the deadline but with enough time not to be late.

@OJAS

@Nahkit

HTH

I'm not interested in a facebook account and don't see why I should have to get one just to stay in touch with my embassy.

I know that reads a bit harsh (probably should have stuck a "smiley" on the end or something) but its not aimed at you personally. I really dont see why I should be forced into something I dont want.

My sentiments exactly. Ditto with Twitter.

Again not aimed at evagb personally - on the contrary many thanks for the info regarding the imminent updating of the Embassy website.

• Like 1

@OJAS

@Nahkit

HTH

Yet in post #26 you readily acknowledge sitting the MENSA test! smile.png

Edited by evadgib

A bit "off" the content for this thread: I have done the retirement visa earlier, now my Thai wife is considering getting a Norwegian citizenship. Does this mean we both have to prove 65k/800k ? Thanks

@OJAS

@Nahkit

HTH

The old embassy website had a link directly to the locate service, try typing "locate" into the new gov.uk website searchbox and see what you get. Everything except the bl*ody link you want!

Is she required to renounce her Thai citizenship? Thai normally maintain citizenship and enter/leave Thailand on there Thai passports.

I took it for granted that she would have to renounce it. Does this mean that Thailand allows dual citizenship. Or do we just never mention this?

Thank you.

@OJAS

@Nahkit

HTH

The old embassy website had a link directly to the locate service, try typing "locate" into the new gov.uk website searchbox and see what you get. Everything except the bl*ody link you want!

Alas, it would, indeed, appear from the announcement posted on the old FCO site in the last day or so that LOCATE has finally expired and will be laid to rest under the daisies on 14 May. Bloody annoying for me as I spent ages updating my entry with details of a European trip in June the week before last!

On a serious note, while the alternative arrangements in place may appear fine for Brits holidaying in foreign parts, I am not so sure that the discrete needs of us resident expats are being adequately catered for. In particular, I understood that one of the main reasons for our being encouraged to register with LOCATE was to facilitate the Embassy’s task in contacting us in the event of a mass evacuation being ordered following civil unrest. It would not surprise me in the slightest to learn that we were within an ace of such an evacuation from Thailand at the height of the UDD riots 3 years ago. Without LOCATE, what cast-iron certainty is there that the Embassy would now be able to contact us all with evacuation arrangement details if and when necessary? This is something which I, for one, find rather worrying.

Edited by OJAS

Alas, it would, indeed, appear from the announcement posted on the old FCO site in the last day or so that LOCATE has finally expired and will be laid to rest under the daisies on 14 May. Bloody annoying for me as I spent ages updating my entry with details of a European trip in June the week before last!

On a serious note, while the alternative arrangements in place may appear fine for Brits holidaying in foreign parts, I am not so sure that the discrete needs of us resident expats are being adequately catered for. In particular, I understood that one of the main reasons for our being encouraged to register with LOCATE was to facilitate the Embassy’s task in contacting us in the event of a mass evacuation being ordered following civil unrest. It would not surprise me in the slightest to learn that we were within an ace of such an evacuation from Thailand at the height of the UDD riots 3 years ago. Without LOCATE, what cast-iron certainty is there that the Embassy would now be able to contact us all with evacuation arrangement details if and when necessary? This is something which I, for one, find rather worrying.

There is absolutely no need for you to worry about them not being able to contact you in the event that you need to be evacuated. As someone registered on locate who was recently evacuated from a country (within the last 2 years), I can asssure you that they made no attempt whatsover to contact me via the locate system.

I hope that puts your mind at rest.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Income letter for Brits in Thailand

go to this link

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

and scroll down to

"services we provide in Thailand"

scan down to income letter and....

follow instructions - easiest by post IMHO Hope that helps

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Below is extract from site copied 4/01/2014

Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration

We can issue a standard letter addressed to Thai Immigration confirming your pension/income to support the renewal/extension of your retirement visa. This letter is a Thai requirement and the granting of the visa is at the sole discretion of the Thai Immigration authorities not the British Embassy.

Please ensure the pension/income evidence you provide is in a form that is simple and easy to understand and contains the essential financial amounts that are required for inclusion in the letter. According to Thai Immigration, your pension currency should not be converted into Thai Baht.

The fee for this letter is payable by cash or credit card if applying in person or by postal order for the exact amount if applying by post. The letter can be collected in person or sent to you by express mail with an additional postage and packaging cost of 100 Baht. Please note that fees can change without prior notice.

If you are unable to visit us in person, please mail us your request stating the total pension amount received monthly/yearly and enclosing the required documents. Please make the postal order (available at Post Offices) payable to the “British Embassy” and to be cashed at “Nana Post Office Bangkok 10112”.

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Documents required for this service

• original valid British passport or a photocopy if applying by post
  • proof of address such as outlined above
  • evidence of your current pension/income which will be returned to you
Edited by Mario2008
font size adjusted