Father Ray Foundation Needs Ride On Mower / Lawnmower

kirkieb

Hi I'm a retired Aussie soldier living and volunteering as much time as possible with my wife, to father ray Foundations Children s Village. The kids are mostly orphans or from abused backgrounds and some have seen things we don't dream about. I'm passionate about these kids but since working around the village making Tyre swings and rope ladders I've realized the gardens are in sever need of some serious maintenance.. Having been forced to live on my army pension I don't have a big supply of money and have found I'm trying to do too much with too little. I'm in desperate need of someone who is willing to repair two very old and badly treated push mowers for me to make a start. I then endeavor to raise money for a ride-on -Mower for the Village in the future and some serious garden tools but for now would be happy if anyone can help me out with repairing these old lawnmowers.

Have just applied to take over the Garden maintenance as a volunteer as some of the land has hidden dangers that I just could not forgive myself if the kids were injured now I know.

All help is greatly appreciated and Father Ray looks after over 850 kids of Thailand and struggle to fund every new idea or machine repair. They have offered to help in all fairness but if I can get some community spirited type people to give me a hand or provide me with some equipment or whatever I would be so grateful and I know the kids would be very excited.

Kindest regards

Brad Kirkwood

• Like 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Brad.....PM me and make contact.

Need to know what engines are in the mowers. Do not buy any spare parts in thailand....contact me first.

I have some things to maybe help out....But you must PM before Monday morning , as i wont be here from then, for a while

I'm sure the people donating money to thus orphanage would be well pleased to find out they are going to buy the handyman a brand new ride on mower.

Little advise they seem to like cutting grass with a strimmer over here ,a guy does our 10 rai plot with a strummer I offered him to use our lawnmower he refused he prefers the strummer........crazy

Edited by taninthai

Thanks for replies, the Village is near Lake Maprachan in Nongplalai, In Chonburi It has ten houses at the moment they have over 50 kids. The property has had so many great people helping over the years but maintenance on the grounds and the buildings is difficult. So far a ride on mower is a dream and I will be using a push mower of over 10 Rai of land and without complaint I boughjt a whipper snipper myself but the job is too big for that.

Have had a generous person already offer to see what they can do to fix the two push mowers and Im hoping to get the details of the engines today to assist that wonderful; person.

Tanithai to respond to what seems like sarcasm please understand that I never asked for a ride on I said I was going to fund raise myself for one in the future (personally from friends in Australia). The kids at the orphanage have a gravel area used to play soccer and every kid has massive sores from grazing their legs. Father Ray was successful late last year in getting a donation for grass to stop the kids getting hurt but due to lack of water or the shear cost to water such a big area we have been waiting for the wet season to start so the grass gets a chance to establish. Im just thinking ahead for the mowing of a small soccer field to give these kids something most people take for granted.

http://www.fr-ray.org/ Just in case there are more sceptical people that look for bad and cant see the good Im trying to do I invite you to come and have a look at the kids Village. Its open every day The Village is Near the Polo Club or the Big Chinese Temple about two minutes from the Lake. This is a genuine Community spirited plee for help nothing more. If your interested in helping these kids then please feel free to send me a message but if your someone who has tall poppy syndrome keep your negative attitude to yourself these kids have had it bad enough without more of that stuff in their lives.

• Like 1

Alright an update after some very good advise from weegee, am going to attempt to try and make one out of the two bad lawnmowers but may still need a honda shell with wheels as have one honda motor but shell is completely shattered. The engine is too small for the job but will suffice to get started.

Anyone have an old Honda shell with good wheels?

Its a shame actually we dont need this one any more would be willing to donate it but we are a long way from pattaya,been using tnis one for 3 years only maintenance needed is new spark plug now and then and regular cleaning of the carb.

Another idea is the local government have teams of guys that go round trimming the roadside with strimmers, approach your local or bit tor and im sure they would send the guys around to cut the grass.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

Alright an update after some very good advise from weegee, am going to attempt to try and make one out of the two bad lawnmowers but may still need a honda shell with wheels as have one honda motor but shell is completely shattered. The engine is too small for the job but will suffice to get started.

Anyone have an old Honda shell with good wheels?

There are hundreds of old mowers in bangkok....can buy a base with wheels for a song.

Hi Kevvy sorry for not responding earlier but am having a bit of trouble finding too many business s open that can fix the mowers to give me a price. I checked out a new Honda and its about 15000 baht so am looking at trying to raise the money myself and start fresh with a mower that I know they will get many years out of.. In the mean time as soon as I find a place open and willing to give me a quote will let you know mate.

Kirky

Latest update is both mowers have been inspected at workshops in Pattaya and today it became apparent that both mowers are not interchangeable so that option is gone, the parts needed are very expensive to replace on such old engines and a body for the old Honda is 5000 baht new or 3000 Old so after much consideration am now looking at buying a new Honda Lawnmower. We have been offered a Discounted price from a Supplier on Pattaya Nua of 14000 Baht and have already had two donations totaling 3500 Baht.

Anyone wanting to donate please contact me as soon as possible as the grass is just going to explode with all this rain and we need this mower now.

Kindest regards

Kirky

Check Home Pro on line! Half price sale: ASGATEC GB4000 4 HP BRUSH CUTTER @ 3200B. Might be your cheapest route.

Electric mowers which you don't want are between 4000B ~ 8000B. They do have gas ones two, but don't know the price.

Thanks Mr

Have bought a Brush cutter myself already for them and been using it there all week but large areas need a lawnmower and the problem is there is so much crap for sale here and in 6 mths time we get the same problem, I personally have had Hondas in Australia and the damn things just keep going and going with an oil change an new air filter and spark plu are about all they ever need so Im going for Honda, the biggest size we can afford.

Kirky

I'd recommend buying an old-fashioned heavy-duty quality manually-powered unit and set aside the money saved in a teach-responsibility fund.

Teach the younger/weaker ones how to keep it sharpened and oiled, teach the older/stronger ones how to use it properly, and fairly distribute say B100 a week to those that get off their duff and do the work.

Then encourage them to start a little cottage business see if there are any neighbors with lawns that need cutting within walking distance, just require they put 30% back into the kitty for future repairs or upgrades to capital equipment.

If they work hard maybe a proper ride-on mower can be in their future, maybe even a pickup truck and trailer and a proper lawn care business down the road, support the whole facility in style. . .

Well we can dream eh?

• Like 2

yeah we have given the ride on idea away, will stick to a lawnmower. The kids already have many jobs to and are responsible for the houses they live in, They all have many jobs daily and its because they start their day at 4.30 am with some not getting home til 6pm its a massively big day. They all sweep and do all the floors every day, the toilet gets roistered daily and then they have their rooms checked daily and cleaning of their school uniform after school and then dishes after dinner so they certainly do a lot more work than most western kids I know. I'm amased at how much they do.

Im happy to mow the lawn for them with the kids sweeping, and removing the waste of all pruning s I do as I go.

There are so many projects on what to train the kids in future prospects and doing gardens is a great idea, will keep an eye on the ones showing some interest

Hi Kevvy sorry for not responding earlier but am having a bit of trouble finding too many business s open that can fix the mowers to give me a price. I checked out a new Honda and its about 15000 baht so am looking at trying to raise the money myself and start fresh with a mower that I know they will get many years out of.. In the mean time as soon as I find a place open and willing to give me a quote will let you know mate.

Kirky

how much do you need? send me a message and i will come and talk to you as i am not far from you ... please dont listen to one member here as he will probably rip you off. we all know you he is .

we have a few goats already and the bloody things get too well fed and don't eat the grass. In fairness to the goats they do spread a lot of weed seeds also seeing as they roam willingly. I think my calculation of the land size is a bit off I think we are on about 10 - 12 acres so renting a lawnmower every week wouldn't be viable seeing as the grass grows so well. If I had my way Id say concrete the lot but thats being just ridiculous

• Like 1

Hey Weegee, Have spoken to Kevvy and we hooking up on Saturday to solve the worlds issues./ Glad you got back to Oz safely. Have a massive amount of scars from using the whipper snipper in areas that haven't seen a line trimmer in a while. The kids were fascinated at the amount of blood that came out from my legs. They thought I was very strong. I explained that strength had nothing to do with it and I was a <deleted> for not wearing long pants.

So far the whole place after 20 hours on the whipper snipper doesn't seem to have made much difference. I could use a good backpack weed killing type spray unit with a spreader bar if you know anyone in Bunnings. I love Bunnings by the way.

I got all my injuries from using a weed eater on the footpaths that are full of huge weeds.

Stay safe my new mate and enjoy Oz.

Kindest regards

Kirky