Need Help To Find An Apt

Sibbo

I have just received a job offer to teach English in a Tecnical College near Nonthaburi Pier. The starting salary is 38k but only for 10 months. Problem is my gf lives in Sathorn and works at Central World and we would like to get an apt together which will enable both of us to work without a lenghty commute each day. I used to live in Pracha Chuen and had a good apt there but, it is too far for her to commute to work (so she says).

My knowledge of BKK is not that good and have no idea as to commuting times. When I lived in Pracha Chuen, I rarely went into the city as at that time I was single so have no knowledge of commuting times. The nearest MRT was Bang Sue which involved a 10 minute motor cycle taxi ride.

Or, do I stay where I am in Nakhon Pathom and continue working here.

Any constructive help and advice would be appreciated.

Not sure if the river ferry runs as regularly that far north as it does downtown, but that's an EXCELLENT way to commute.

Would take too long from Sathorn, but I'd recommend hunting near the express stops within say ten hops.

Actually a very relaxing way to unwind, as oppposed to the added stress of other surface transportation in Bangkok.

Ask the neighbors about the flooding just in case that comes up again, didn't touch my area south of Sathorn but I think on the other side they had some pretty bad disruptions.

Anything advertised on the internet or other english medium will be above regular prices.

Just walk around neighborhoods you like within walking distance of your target piers look out for signs and ask the street vendors, beauty shops and moto drivers.

If you really want to put in a concentrated effort for a particularly attractive and difficult area, pass out a little flyer describing what you're looking for and offering a thousand or two finders' fee.

• Like 1

Anything advertised on the internet or other english medium will be above regular prices.

Just walk around neighborhoods you like within walking distance of your target piers look out for signs and ask the street vendors, beauty shops and moto drivers.

If you really want to put in a concentrated effort for a particularly attractive and difficult area, pass out a little flyer describing what you're looking for and offering a thousand or two finders' fee.

Yes, Nonthaburi, full of signs written in English and English speaking Thais who don't believe in the policy of dual charging.

So much more productive than the internet.

Tic.

Edited by somchaismith

Yes, Nonthaburi, full of signs written in English and English speaking Thais who don't believe in the policy of dual charging.

Tic.

-

Who said anything about English, obviously the signs are and flyers should be in Thai.

And if they do it right, no one needs to know a farang's even involved.

The finders' fee only gets paid on the one you take, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Stuff advertised on the Internet is often just as overpriced as those going through agencies.

Same reasoning to look for upcountry girls that have never touched a keyboard as opposed to looking on lovelinks.

• Like 1

Absolutely consistent - my advice is that in order to get good value in Thailand, you should avoid relying on English-language media and search in person and take advantage of local people's word of mouth.

Housing, labor, partners, all applies.

That was exactly my meaning in both the posts you quoted.

Kao jai Somchai?

^ That's very difficult if your only language is English. One would have to engage the service of a translator, which would become quite expensive, in the long run, perhaps even more so if you were using a Thai partner as go-between. Which leads us to the point of why the Op is most probably posting, asking for help finding an apartment, here on Thaivisa.com and not Pantip.com, where the foremost language medium used is the Thai language

Also, I've found some quite good long term housing rental bargains at Mrroomfinder.com. Rather a lot cheaper than a Thai rental website with the added bonus of having an English speaking landlord, sympathetic to western rental norms.

Remember, we must stick to writing in English language only, here at this website.

Edited by somchaismith

^ That's very difficult if your only language is English. One would have to engage the service of a translator, which would become quite expensive, in the long run, perhaps even more so if you were using a Thai partner as go-between. Which leads us to the point of why the Op is most probably posting, asking for help finding an apartment, here on Thaivisa.com and not Pantip.com, where the foremost language medium used is the Thai language

Also, I've found some quite good long term housing rental bargains at Mrroomfinder.com. Rather a lot cheaper than a Thai rental website with the added bonus of having an English speaking landlord, sympathetic to western rental norms.

Remember, we must stick to writing in English language only, here at this website.

-

Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that the OP's reference to a GF was a Thai, which is why I specifically mentioned having her take the lead in their neighborhood perambulations.

I've found it easy to hire a native Thai speaker, whether by the hour day or week well worth the investment for this kind of project, remember every 8% saved off the rental price equals a free months' rent per year.

And I've found "an English speaking landlord, sympathetic to western rental norms" only comes with grossly overpriced real estate targeted at foreigners, which is exactly what I'm talking about avoiding.

I'm starting to think perhaps you're in the business?

Once again my recommendation, with which I have found great success to the point that the rents I've quoted have been met with mocking disbelief here on TV.com is to follow the methods I've outlined above.

-

Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that the OP's reference to a GF was a Thai, which is why I specifically mentioned having her take the lead in their neighborhood perambulations.

I've found it easy to hire a native Thai speaker, whether by the hour day or week well worth the investment for this kind of project, remember every 8% saved off the rental price equals a free months' rent per year.

And I've found "an English speaking landlord, sympathetic to western rental norms" only comes with grossly overpriced real estate targeted at foreigners, which is exactly what I'm talking about avoiding.

I'm starting to think perhaps you're in the business?

Once again my recommendation, with which I have found great success to the point that the rents I've quoted have been met with mocking disbelief here on TV.com is to follow the methods I've outlined above.

Judging by your circumstances outlined in your other tread - I don' think you are in any position to offer anyone advice on anything.

• Like 1

-

Eh? Many English speaking property owners would disagree with you on that point.

"I'm starting to think perhaps you're in the business?"

As a renter, yes.

Edited by somchaismith

-

I could imagine. However, this would spring from potential renter's lack of knowledge of local market prices.

Here's a nice place. This can't be overpriced at 12,000 baht per month.

2 storeys fully furnished town-house with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 air-conditioners, 1 car park. Good for a family or a group of colleges. Pets allowed.
Location near market and Lotus Supermarket which open from 6am. - 9pm. Near Pakkred boat pier.
big_4cceab050f9dcfa0da6d412ce460138a.jpg
Edited by somchaismith
  • Like 1

Tic.

-

Who said anything about English, obviously the signs are and flyers should be in Thai.

And if they do it right, no one needs to know a farang's even involved.

The finders' fee only gets paid on the one you take, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Stuff advertised on the Internet is often just as overpriced as those going through agencies.

Same reasoning to look for upcountry girls that have never touched a keyboard as opposed to looking on lovelinks.

Do you think the Thai landlord might have a clue when you turn up to pay the deposit and rent,or will you arrive in a boiler suit and balaclava?

-

Eh? Many English speaking property owners would disagree with you on that point.

Please remember that he doesn't pay rent anyway, so his idea of a bargain differs from most.

• Like 2

Not sure if the river ferry runs as regularly that far north as it does downtown, but that's an EXCELLENT way to commute.

Would take too long from Sathorn, but I'd recommend hunting near the express stops within say ten hops.

Actually a very relaxing way to unwind, as oppposed to the added stress of other surface transportation in Bangkok.

Ask the neighbors about the flooding just in case that comes up again, didn't touch my area south of Sathorn but I think on the other side they had some pretty bad disruptions.

The ferry does run up to Nonthaburi Pier but it takes around an hour and that is just the ferry.

Here's a nice place. This can't be overpriced at 12,000 baht per month.

2 storeys fully furnished town-house with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 air-conditioners, 1 car park. Good for a family or a group of colleges. Pets allowed.

Location near market and Lotus Supermarket which open from 6am. - 9pm. Near Pakkred boat pier.
big_4cceab050f9dcfa0da6d412ce460138a.jpg

Thank you very much for this. I will check out this site now.

Live near the BTS Line or buy a motorbike.

or just replace gf.. which ever is easiest

Well that was informative and also condescening at the same time. One thing I will not do is change the gf. Hard to believe but she is actually a hard working, intelligent and has helped me out a great deal and after nearly a year of dating I think I have found a good one.

• Like 1

Sibbo, on 14 Apr 2013 - 09:16, said:

The ferry does run up to Nonthaburi Pier but it takes around an hour and that is just the ferry.

-

Which is exactly why I recommended searching around the neighborhoods of the ferry stops close to his destination, IMO within ten stops would be reasonable.

IMO this method of commuting to work is a HUGE positive lifestyle enhancement and strongly recommended for anyone that has that opportunity.

I could imagine. However, this would spring from potential renter's lack of knowledge of local market prices.

-

Which is soon acquired when using the methods I recommend.

Just like walking around any marketplace, you bargain hard and walk away from the first few dozen transactions, and don't seriously think about buying until you feel confident of your knowledge.