Second Tourist Visa

Hi!

It's gonna make nearly 6 months that I'm in Thailand with my Tourist Visa double entries! I asked for an extension of 30 days after the 60 fisrt days. After these 30 days, I went in Laos for the day and came back in Thailand by using my second entry! Last week I went to ask again for an extension of 30 days!

I'm trying to find a way to stay again for a period of 6 months in Thailand!

If I'm going out again from Thailand and apply for another Tourist Visa with Double Entries at a Thai Embassy in Laos or Penang, are they gonna accept?

Is there a law who can cause that they will refuse?

Do they ask for specific requirements?

I have a open return ticket!

Help Me!

EBE

As every case is a little different, I'm not sure that this will help, but, I had four back-to-back 30 day tourists before I got my type B visa (about an hour and 1/2 ago!). I got my first 30 days at the airport and the rest at Poipet in Cambodia. I was a little worried, but every time i just paid my money & got a new stamp.

I must say that it feels very good to be half-way legal. Next step - Work Permit!

As every case is a little different, I'm not sure that this will help, but, I had four back-to-back 30 day tourists before I got my type B visa (about an hour and 1/2 ago!). I got my first 30 days at the airport and the rest at Poipet in Cambodia. I was a little worried, but every time i just paid my money & got a new stamp.

I must say that it feels very good to be half-way legal. Next step - Work Permit!

Good for you. Feels better doesn't it :o

The consular staff appear to accept or decline applications at their discretion.

Dress smartly and behave politely, this will help

Logic isn't always part of the equation with the Thai bureacrats.

Well done Doctor! This will go down in history as a classic amongst understatements. :D

Thank you Georgie...tongue pressed firmly against inner cheek wall :o

tongue pressed firmly against inner cheek wall

Isn't that also known as a black kiss?

Seriously, many people forget that any embassy/consular office can refuse to issue a visa, and even a visa does not grant the right of entry. Immigration officials are empowered to refuse entry. Admittedly, this doesn't happen very often, but people should get out of the mindset that they have rights to visit other countries unless they have been granted residence.

tongue pressed firmly against inner cheek wall

Isn't that also known as a black kiss?

Seriously, many people forget that any embassy/consular office can refuse to issue a visa, and even a visa does not grant the right of entry. Immigration officials are empowered to refuse entry. Admittedly, this doesn't happen very often, but people should get out of the mindset that they have rights to visit other countries unless they have been granted residence.

Absolutely correct. The officer doesn't even have to assign a reason for refusing something like a tourist visa. All down to his/her impressions and/or biases.

before I got my type B visa (about an hour and 1/2 ago!).

O S 57

Can you tell us where you got your type B visa ?

Was that also in Cambodia?

Roger

Hello Roger

Didn't log on for a while as I was taking a 20 hour train trip from Malaysia! In answer to your question, I got the visa in Penang. A friend told me that Khota Buri (sp?) is also a good place to get a visa.

Hi OS 1957

Thanks for the reply.

Hey - I am interested in that Train Trip

do you think you could start another thread about it please?

Was it enjoyable? What was its good points and the pitfalls to avoid ...

Sounds great - if you like Train Journeys that is!

Roger

I have been renting a serviced apartment continiously for 5 years in Bangkok. I come and go for work regularly and I now have 1 tourist visa and stampts for 26 visa on arrivals in my passport. Only twice have I had an onward ticket--when boarding once in Bahrain and one in the USA, they insisted. Nobody in Thailand has ever asked to see an onward ticket.

I think you have a lot of leeway yet.

Has anybody had any problem?

I have been renting a serviced apartment continiously for 5 years in Bangkok. I come and go for work regularly and I now have 1 tourist visa and stampts for 26 visa on arrivals in my passport. Only twice have I had an onward ticket--when boarding once in Bahrain and one in the USA, they insisted. Nobody in Thailand has ever asked to see an onward ticket.

I think you have a lot of leeway yet.

I guess you work outside Thailand. Correct ?

Seems like it's 50/50 as to whether airline check-in staff wants to see a visa in the passport. My observation has been that the farther away one is from the Kingdom, the more likely it is that the check-in staff will look for a visa. However, I was flying back to Bangkok the other day from Johor Bahru, Malaysia on a one-way ticket. The airline check-in staff saked how long I was staying in Thailand. My reply was "five days". My passport was handed back to me without any further comment/inspection. Having said that though, I still would not take a chance of my paperwork not being in order. Why place yourself in a position where you can be denied boarding when it is so simple to be in compliance?

Do not understand reference to 'paying money' in relation to obtaining 30 day entry stamp. There is no fee.

eddieold

It is not totally true to say that the consulates have a free hand with visa issue, they do have to justify there actions to Suan Plu.

I have had trouble with consulates refusing to issue a Non-Immigrant multi-entry visa. They only wanted to give me a single entry, despite the fact that I am legally married to a Thai.

I complained to Maj Gen Hemmaraj, Head of Immigration at Suan Plu, and received a grudging apology from the consulate in question.(Sydney, Australia). Mind you I also got checked out by my local immigration office, and the income tax office. Not a problem as all is above board.

Besides having to answer, to a degree, Thai visa offices also have to answer directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, of course.

A couple years back I went up to Vientiane (my own personal favorite place for visa runs in this neighborhood) and applied for 2 back-to-back 60-day (extendfable) tourist visas. When I went back the folowing day to collect my passport, I felt quite lucky that the Consul General came out and handed me back 300 baht -- the application fee per visa was 300 baht at the time -- and politely and apologetically explained that because the Kingdom was then having so much trouble with mainland Chinese nationals coming into Thailand via Laos then abusing their visas in various ways, the MFO had directed the Vientiane visa office to issue no more than one tourist visa per person per application, regardless of nationality.

As with visa officers of any country, Thai ones have considerable latitude in their decisions. I guess they *have* to have. But I sure appreciated the explanation, something that rarely happens for Thais who get denied at my own embasy (U.S.A.) here in Bangkok. If anything, the norm is for refused Thais to get cold short shrift.

It is not totally true to say that the consulates have a free hand with visa issue, they do have to justify there actions to Suan Plu.

I have had trouble with consulates refusing to issue a Non-Immigrant multi-entry visa. They only wanted to give me a single entry, despite the fact that I am legally married to a Thai.

I complained to Maj Gen Hemmaraj, Head of Immigration at Suan Plu, and received a grudging apology from the consulate in question.(Sydney, Australia). Mind you I also got checked out by my local immigration office, and the income tax office. Not a problem as all is above board.

The Embassies and Consulates of Thailand don't answer to to Suan Phlu at all. They answer to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The 30 day visa was intended for short stays only and for the package tour industry. The tourist visa TR 60 days has certain requirements which are a return or onward ticket to a third country and financial requirements,20000THB for an individual applicant -- mininium.

So if one was intending to stay 90 days one would require 60000THB.

So if you apply for a new visa from an embassy outside Thailand immediately after leaving Thailand one would not be suprised if the embassy asks you " How are you going to support yourself ".

Avisa can be refused on the grounds of " insuffient funds ".

Be free to comment on this.

regards.

'EBE' who started this thread said that he used Laos for his visa runs which may have a bearing on what he can 'get away with'.

I was doing a visa run on Friday 20/2/04 and I asked the officer in the immigration booth what was the policy on 'walkers', he said it was "no problem - you leave Thailand, you come back you get 30 days stamp - no problem". I told him I had read on the internet that it was not allowed to have 'back to back' 30 day entry stamps and again he replied "no problem".

This was at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai, I realise that the different border crossings have very different attitudes to 'the rules' but if EBE is going to use Laos for his visa runs it would appear that he will have few problems (but things can change TiT) :o