Lead In Hom Mali

In the other newspaper I just read an article about the US testing some 300,000 tons of Thai rice (90% Hom Mali) and they found lead levels in it ranging from 20-60 TIMES (read as 2000 -6000%) above the minimum safety standard for consumption. First thoughts are water and soil as the causes. It isn't April 1 and this is really a big deal and with the amount of time that it took us with big hitters (major hospital directors etc) to get water tests in Hua Hin for a charity school project (nearly a year and a half) I can't see a way to really test this soon or expect the gov to do so. I did find a place in Bkk that tested but they charged a fee of 300-500 baht for everything individually you wanted to test for in water. No standard water consumption tests. You think the gov is going to help us on this one with tests of water soil and rice???? heck they want to just throw money at this hazardous waste when you harvest it (last guy who sold under the program got only 15000 a ton to the mill thieves). Well I'm off to plant my organic hazardous waste today and will test tomorrow isn't that the way to do it here. "I told you to cut that branch or somebody will lose an eye. Now I see you did it. Who lost their eye?" "oh nobody really just a neighbors kid"

Glad to see FEF still has lead in his pencil as well as his rice. Good to see you back. You really should get a bus drivers permit so you could earn as you burn from side to side of the country. Got the bananas aboard?

I suspect the lead, along with other heavy metals is accumulated as a result of the chemical fertilisers used. With low organic and microbial content in paddy soil there is nothing to remove or trap these contaminants.

• Like 1

Actually that report was not about US testing but one associate professor at a NJ university publishing his findings - no information on reliability or testing methods and no other report has ever been made - and this was more about Chinese rice than Thai.

Actually that report was not about US testing but one associate professor at a NJ university publishing his findings - no information on reliability or testing methods and no other report has ever been made - and this was more about Chinese rice than Thai.

Right on that one and I hadn't heard of his University before but when somebody does something like this the Thai should be abl;e to pull up #'s and spec's from their test to refute this as it can cause a lot of grief. Unfortunately I'm gone from the house without the article so will have to dig it up in a week and do a bit of due diligence and see what I can find or see how it plays out in the papers. Probably the reason the gov doesn't ever pay the full 20,000 a kilo unless your connected as they are factoring the lead out of the rice's weight,. ayukka yuk. Jump on the bus in a few moments and have aniother 150 banana trees coming by pikup in less than a week. Got to get the lead out and push that pencil. FFFF

• 4 weeks later...