Bar Ownership, What Type Visa?

90% fail, don't come with high expectations of making any real money.. Unless you have money to wash burn.

Don't believe a word the current owner says and if the bar is to be successful don't expect a high standard of living out of it.

You playing an active role in the day to day running will be more of a hindrance and not a help, not many bar owners have correct Visa's and work permits.

High chance your staff will steal from you also.

Edited by Satcommlee

Can you get a work permit for a bar ?

The truth is no you can't unless you completely "disguise" your operation and turn it into something a Thai can not do properly - testing and training the "staff" for example. By the way your Thai staff do not have to "pay" tax but they have to be registered with the tax department and have a tax code. To actually pay tax they need to earn (ha-ha)over 300,000 baht per year!

Something of help for our would be bar owner: how do you make a small fortune in Thailand? Come here with a large one!

Edited by BrianCR
  • Like 2

Back in '86 on my first visit to Patts i thought about buying a bar. I thought it would be paradise, beer at wholesale prices, surrounded by hot and not so hot women, sleeping- in every morning . Yes i was naive and by the very fact i am still here testifies i I didn't buy a bar.

• Like 2

And soon to be 5 Thais apparently.

To be employed in order to get a work permit, instead of just 4......

Please explain what this information is based on. Thanks in advance.

Edited by keestha

And soon to be 5 Thais apparently.

To be employed in order to get a work permit, instead of just 4......

Please explain what this information is based on. Thanks in advance.

Told this when handing the visa extension application in the other week.

visa and work permit are 2 separate things.

I was wondering if a person holding a work permit was allowed to work regardless of visa status, i.e. someone with a tourist visa and work permit?

No, the work permit is only issued if you have the right visa entry and is only valid in combination with the right kind of visa/permission to stay.

On a tourist visa no WP will be issued (but you can apply for one) and if you already have a WP it will not be valid in combination with a tourist visa, as on that visa you are not allowed to work.

visa and work permit are 2 separate things.

I was wondering if a person holding a work permit was allowed to work regardless of visa status, i.e. someone with a tourist visa and work permit?

No, the work permit is only issued if you have the right visa entry and is only valid in combination with the right kind of visa/permission to stay.

On a tourist visa no WP will be issued (but you can apply for one) and if you already have a WP it will not be valid in combination with a tourist visa, as on that visa you are not allowed to work.

that makes sense. so if immigration does not renew the B visa, the work permit holder effectively cannot work inspite of holding a valid work permit.

that explains why immigration has a set of rules for companies.

Edited by manarak

More important then the visa stuff is some simple marketing, which most of the barowners forget as they are in a pink cloud of 'being a successful businessman in Thailand'. Most locations and all the 'keymoney' bullshit are just a quick loss of investment and foreigners come and go leaving their sweet illusions behind and understanding when it's too late.