F1 For The Motoring Forum

Drifting? Seriously? What does that have to do with daily driving?

Lots see it everyday

Drifting has a different meaning here, appears many like to drift between lanes all the time... both slow and fast drivers

As for cornering drifting, most of the Pickups I see trying appear to hop not drift, of course they do drift into another lane at the same time

Pickups drift a lot in the adverts is that why realworld owners end up in ditchesgiggle.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so give or take a G?? Illustrating that a soft compound F1 tire that seemingly wears out rather quickly under race conditions is actually quite a durable compound were it applied to daily driver conditions.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, shit in the rain and wore out in no time on dry stuff. Tried Hoosier, BF and Micky Thomson. Cos of the compound they had very shallow tread depth soooooooooooo if one like to tickle the pedal at the stop light drags it was expensive. laugh.png

Ermm modern F1 tire compounds have evolved quite a bit since the days of the dinosaurs whistling.gif ...

And JFYI this an F1 thread not a drag racing thread BTW.

I don't like the artificial suspense created only for the show through unpredictable tires and DRS. Schumi complained last year that there is no way a driver can race flat out show what he can do.

The drivers have become the clowns in a circus.

Shame on FIA and Jean Todt

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Ok, so give or take a G?? Illustrating that a soft compound F1 tire that seemingly wears out rather quickly under race conditions is actually quite a durable compound were it applied to daily driver conditions.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, shit in the rain and wore out in no time on dry stuff. Tried Hoosier, BF and Micky Thomson. Cos of the compound they had very shallow tread depth soooooooooooo if one like to tickle the pedal at the stop light drags it was expensive. laugh.png

Ermm modern F1 tire compounds have evolved quite a bit since the days of the dinosaurs whistling.gif ...

Look at my picture again, brand new design, ultra soft compound tyre to create total grip on launch etc. I posted this because in your tyre ''discussion'' in this topic, soft compounds on the street was mentioned, hence my post on experience with the soft stuff on the street. smile.png

Oooops, forgot. These tyres were developed for ''street class'' drag racing where the tyre got a USA MOT stamp of approval, but the tyre had a sticker on it, NOT FOR STREET USE. laugh.png

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Look at my picture again, brand new design, ultra soft compound tyre to create total grip on launch etc. I posted this because in your tyre ''discussion'' in this topic, soft compounds on the street was mentioned, hence my post on experience with the soft stuff on the street. smile.png

Oooops, forgot. These tyres were developed for ''street class'' drag racing where the tyre got a USA MOT stamp of approval, but the tyre had a sticker on it, NOT FOR STREET USE. laugh.png

Hey leave WSpeed alone he will take his ball and go home.

^&^^ Well done getting the thread back on topic guys, let's not allow a few self involved, bitter trolls........ to derail what is developing into an enjoyable and informative thread.. clap2.gif I'm liking it so far for the most part, good exchange and information from a bit of a different perspective hope others are getting the same out of it thumbsup.gif..

Right and well there are many tires available for street use that are softer compound and that's the point this is where they get the R&D to produce those compounds for the street in spite of the F1 tires not having treads and the like the compound technology does carry over and trickle down..Then it is also further tested and promoted in the series's I've mentioned numerous times for a more direct cross over to the street market as well as you have demonstrated even in drag racing, that's the benefit tire companies gain from their participation in motorsports it's not just the marketing aspect..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Drifting? Seriously? What does that have to do with daily driving?

Lots see it everyday

Drifting has a different meaning here, appears many like to drift between lanes all the time... both slow and fast drivers

As for cornering drifting, most of the Pickups I see trying appear to hop not drift, of course they do drift into another lane at the same time

Yep, so it's back to the drawing board.. Bahrain though his much higher temps too, and the surface is more abrasive so this is not exactly unexpected or necessarily just due to the poor mileage realized in China..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I don't like the artificial suspense created only for the show through unpredictable tires and DRS. Schumi complained last year that there is no way a driver can race flat out show what he can do. The drivers have become the clowns in a circus. Shame on FIA and Jean Todt Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree, who wants predictable outcomes in racing? or any sport for that matter? The DRS especially is an aid to allow for racing and passing that otherwise would not occur due to air turbulence between cars and how they effect downforce and control.. The tires provide a need for good strategies by the team and some seem to have that over others, similar to having the best football coach for example? It's part of what makes the sport attractive and more affordable instead of just being priced out of an already fiercely expensive sport..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have to agree that the reg changes in recent seasons have all proved to be beneficial for the sport, e.g. no more fuel stops, must use two different compounds, same control tires for all teams, rev limits, DRS for those <1 second behind, KERS, rule changes to remove unfair advantages (f-ducts, blown diffusers).

All of these have added up to provide the teams with several ways to manipulate tactics/strategy, and have certainly helped keep the action closer.

As for Schumacher, he never had the car since his return to the sport, but it gets old blaming your own car/team repeatedly... He did show what 'he could do' back in Monza 2011 though, and it sure would have been good to see him in a car that was competitive in the corners.

• Like 1

Ironically you posted that comparison IMHO as Nico bested Micheal consistently in the same "equipment" but no doubt not the same level of consideration or support. So now Nico has taken the top spot good for him!! I like Nico he just goes out and does and he showed his talent besting Micheal in the same equipment time and again while Micheal could only manage to complain about the equipment most of the time.

He stopped hounding Lewis a few weeks ago when he had the car to bring the race to him and best him but obediently followed team orders I wonder if the same situation arises with Lewis in the same position if they'll pay back Nico this week? I think in the name of "team" goals which trump the drivers. My feeling is that they will as if it does work out that way there is no real top driver there yet, it's too early to determine..

At any rate good to see Mercedes finally consistently at the top, they seem to have things worked out pretty well this season so far, looking forward to the race and wishing Nico a good finish preferably on the top step which would be another new winner this season and he's earned it if anyone has....

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Ironically you posted that comparison IMHO as Nico bested Micheal consistently in the same "equipment" but no doubt not the same level of consideration or support. So now Nico has taken the top spot good for him!! I like Nico he just goes out and does and he showed his talent besting Micheal in the same equipment time and again while Micheal could only manage to complain about the equipment most of the time.

He stopped hounding Lewis a few weeks ago when he had the car to bring the race to him and best him but obediently followed team orders I wonder if the same situation arises with Lewis in the same position if they'll pay back Nico this week? I think in the name of "team" goals which trump the drivers. My feeling is that they will as if it does work out that way there is no real top driver there yet, it's too early to determine..

At any rate good to see Mercedes finally consistently at the top, they seem to have things worked out pretty well this season so far, looking forward to the race and wishing Nico a good finish preferably on the top step which would be another new winner this season and he's earned it if anyone has....

Yep, agree it's great to see Rosberg on pole - he's a likeable guy who realizes he isn't bigger than the team..

The best part for me is the number of teams that have a genuine shot for the podium in this race - Ferrari, RBR, Lotus, Mercedes and Force India are are in there with solid chances. I wouldn't yet write-off McLaren for a minor podium spot either, and it's also good to see some of the backmarkers improving in competitiveness too, notably Ricciardo in the STR Ferrari, who seems to be finding his feet in his 2nd season, and is now up there duking it out with the McLarens.

• Like 1

Kimi and Button both good on tyre management + believe Kimi will move up a place on the starting grid after penalties applied.. so may have a good chance..

Massa starting on the hard tyre in the top 10 + will move up 2 places on the starting grid after penalties applied. so 4th on grid, if he gets a good start maybe will put a spanner in the works..

Yep good to see Nico on pole, we will see, the Benz and tyre wear maybe the problem

• Like 1

^ Mercedes does have that tire issue but as you already noted previously no soft compound this weekend so maybe that's the golden nugget for this race? Both Nico and Lewis have been very near the front in previous races when the soft compound was a larger issue in the races outcome..

Perez is one to watch, exciting stuff from him.

Well a little TOO exciting some of the time, if he's not careful he's going to get the Romaine Grosjean label and become a liability trying to prove himself too much and over-driving equipment that can't keep up..

Though Grosjean is an exception and he has the equipment, he just keeps having that red mist crop up at the worst times. So far he's been quiet this year but that isn't good either he's obviously driving safely now and not instinctively and that's thrown him into a rut he's having troubles driving out of..

Perez shows flashes but again he needs to drive within himself and his equipment, that's a real determining factor of a maturing/matured driver and what gets noticed is consistent, respectable finishes not necessarily flash in the pan moments of talent..

Edited by WarpSpeed

So after the previous post both Grojean and Perez have respectable races (I guess they just needed for me to single them out whistling.gif ) Perez not with out incident though and controversy even with his own team mate, good to see him give Alonso some of his own medicine though without being intimidated. Good for them it seems maybe Gorsjean had a valid complaint about his car not being up to standards.

Still need to see the entire race, but did anyone else take notice of the obviously not subtle political statement by Redbull in having a woman (no hejab either of course) up on the podium with Sebastien and even drinking the Champagne at the end?? w00t.gif No doubt that was a planned photo op and statement being made by Redbull and Sebastien mentioned the woman's role several times in his post race interview (another format change I enjoy BTW with past drivers doing the interviews and out for the track side fans to enjoy)...

I really don't want to go down that political path in here but it is related to this F1 race and it jumped out at me immediately.. Don't mean to be naughty (yes I do), but Sebastiens Champagne discharge on her seemed a bit..........................Impotent.....To me giggle.gif .....

At this point though, if Grosjean can continue to help support the team with good finishes you have to give serious consideration to Lotus (or Loti as David Hobbs mentioned today) to being the dark horse in this years Championship.

BTW the fighting for position all through the field was spectacular this race and more then I can recall in recent memory, it's entertaining front to back..

And poor Nico? What happened I wonder? Switched positions with Lewis, not completely but close enough sad.png, goes without saying better to have the position he started with then the one he finished with sad.png ..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

So after the previous post both Grojean and Perez have respectable races (I guess they just needed for me to single them out whistling.gif ) Perez not with out incident though and controversy even with his own team mate, good to see him give Alonso some of his own medicine though without being intimidated. Good for them it seems maybe Gorsjean had a valid complaint about his car not being up to standards.

Still need to see the entire race, but did anyone else take notice of the obviously not subtle political statement by Redbull in having a woman (no hejab either of course) up on the podium with Sebastien and even drinking the Champagne at the end?? w00t.gif No doubt that was a planned photo op and statement being made by Redbull and Sebastien mentioned the woman's role several times in his post race interview (another format change I enjoy BTW with past drivers doing the interviews and out for the track side fans to enjoy)...

I really don't want to go down that political path in here but it is related to this F1 race and it jumped out at me immediately.. Don't mean to be naughty (yes I do), but Sebastiens Champagne discharge on her seemed a bit..........................Impotent.....To me giggle.gif .....

At this point though, if Grosjean can continue to help support the team with good finishes you have to give serious consideration to Lotus (or Loti as David Hobbs mentioned today) to being the dark horse in this years Championship.

BTW the fighting for position all through the field was spectacular this race and more then I can recall in recent memory, it's entertaining front to back..

And poor Nico? What happened I wonder? Switched positions with Lewis, not completely but close enough sad.png, goes without saying better to have the position he started with then the one he finished with sad.png ..

Nico really fell back through the field didn't he? I wondered about the wisdom of his scrap with VET & ALO during the first two laps as he destroyed his tyres at the time. Perhaps he should have let them by? However HAM's car worked really well for him on the last sets of tyres. He will be pretty happy with his result and is a handy 3rd in the points.

• Like 1

Yes he did, but no way was he going to go down without a fight from the front, he's a racer and showed it, as brief as it was, it was a hell of a fight for a couple of exciting laps but it does seem the tire issue reared it's ugly head again but he also got eaten up by the DRS when it was activated that was his final undoing and then no way back to the front for him with no tires left a bit too early, but better to go down fighting instead of rolling over and that will also garner him a lot more respect and notoriety as well, shame he couldn't recover more during the race though but still he did finish and in the top 10..

Kudos to Vettel, he showed his mettle once again, I know this is a volatile comment but though I respected Micheal he never had to compete with such an equal playing field as Sebastien given Ferrari's overwhelming budget, permitted special treatment at the time and even the driver talent was not as deep either and unlike Kimi, when he did come back things did not favor him in the same way and the real result I believe was exposed. Therefore I have the most respect for Vettel doing it the way he is and he's a likable guy most of the time too. In spite of some serious jousting with both Nico and Alonso he came out on top and all 3 get big props for a significant dog fight but without taking each other out, very entertaining indeed as was most of the entire field from front to back..

Also unfortunate Alonso got taken out of the fight by a fluke mechanical failure/damage on his DRS, I believe Vettel would not have had such an easy run had that not happened..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Warp, I think you are being a bit unfair on Schumacher there. He drove some amazing races, Spain 96 ( I think) lapping 6 seconds a lap faster than anyone one else in the wet, the Hungarian GP where he made up about 25 second in 20 laps, numerous fights from the back of the grid.

Sure he had preferential treatment, but he didn't need it most of the time and some would argue Vettel gets the same. I imagine Webber would agree........

Oh, and I don't think they use champagne in Bahrain, they use some kind of substitute.

• Like 2

F1 advanced technology, some being used now on road cars.......... sounds good, maybe even better next year with the smaller engines..

​Cannot work out what use the 2 different set of tyres would be on a road car ?............ Pit stop at all entrance to Freeways/Motorways to change tyres before using that type of road ?

​Some on F1 will have you believe that the hard tyre will last for the whole race ? so why do so many use 2 sets of hard ? soft/super soft are faster...

So why not let teams use what they want, [Dry Race] so each team have say 3 sets of super-soft and 1 hard for Race day. for the teams/drivers that manage there tyres = no pit stops, other maybe 3 or 4 pit stops for tyres.... after all we get told that the car feels/handles very different on soft to hard, so they can set up the car for the tyre they will use, or use most of the race.

Chinese Race the soft were not lasting for 1 flying lap in Qualifying on some cars

F1 are trying to cut running costs....... a set of tyres that last for 1 - 4 laps [on some cars] does not appear to be saving costs ?

Nothing about the tires in F1 is designed to be pass-down tech or even relevant to road cars, the way I see it.

The point of having the two mandatory control tires is to keep the racing more balanced, and try to mitigate having just one or two teams dominating every race due to some other technical edge (usually downforce).

The compounds Pirelli make are specifically engineered to both reward and penalise cars with both more and less downforce, and are proving to be a pretty good equalizer that doesn't specifically victimise a single team.

i think we should just cut through the nonsense. the tires have been engineered to replace the necessity for tactical pitstops that was removed by making the cars run on full race fuel

Warp, I think you are being a bit unfair on Schumacher there. He drove some amazing races, Spain 96 ( I think) lapping 6 seconds a lap faster than anyone one else in the wet, the Hungarian GP where he made up about 25 second in 20 laps, numerous fights from the back of the grid.

Sure he had preferential treatment, but he didn't need it most of the time and some would argue Vettel gets the same. I imagine Webber would agree........

Oh, and I don't think they use champagne in Bahrain, they use some kind of substitute.

I don't quite understand what you're referring to? past seasons or recent ones? more recently he had flashes but it just proves his strengths were catered to due to rules of the time based on his inconsistencies when he really HAD to race in recent times when he was struggling with equipment that was limited by rules, budgets and engineering he's fallen short and I'm not one to think it was due to his age..

There is also far more first rate competition currently then he had in his heyday too bad Senna was killed it would have been really good to see them go at it head to head and it is for certain Micheal would not have had it all his way like he did.

But that's old news and not where I want this thread to go honestly I want it to mostly adhere to current seasons and teams and the technology aspect more so then the overall grading of drivers and past comparisons but thanks for participating and welcome, please stay with it... an answer to this response is welcome but I won't be debating that particular topic for eons as it really is all just opinion and can go on eternally..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Nice to see Toto Wolf's early impressions of Ross Brawn's working style, methods & technical skills are to his liking, after all the negative press commentary when he was appointed. It would seem he has very quickly worked out, he needs him onboard!

• Like 1

Nice to see Toto Wolf's early impressions of Ross Brawn's working style, methods & technical skills are to his liking, after all the negative press commentary when he was appointed. It would seem he has very quickly worked out, he needs him onboard!

Yes, I feel that would have been a real foolish move as Ross Brawn has demonstrated more than once in big ways he's the man. He and Schumie made each other and then he went on to make Mercedes when they weren't Mercedes yet without Shumie and did so in short order with only weeks to produce a team, let alone a competitive one that wasn't previously competitive, find an engine manufacturer and all on a shoe string budget.

Without him they'd likely never even have considered buying into the team in the first place, as that Championship likely would have never happened, it's more likely they'd have been mired down with the also rans IF they even existed because it was his shoulders that carried EVERYTHING about that program, it was BECAUSE he was at the head that funding was garnered.. It'd be really short sighted to throw him away at this point as he'd just end up making their life more difficult working with another team who'd probably pick him before he was out the door of offices..

The Mind Boggles. F.1 in Thailand..?... Spattered Dogs,Old Folks wandering down the Track, the prospective chaos is never ending. Diddy Ecclestone getting dipped by Katoys for a few million, when he left the Fetish Club. Endless Fun , bring it on .coffee1.gifthumbsup.gif