Thai Police Are Seeking A Taxi Driver Who Shot And Wounded A Drunk Passenger

webfact

SAFETY
Taxi driver sought in shooting

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bang Sue police are seeking a taxi driver who allegedly shot and wounded a drunk passenger who was about to vomit in his vehicle, after an online post carrying details of the incident went viral on a social media network.

A photo and messages posted on Instagram early yesterday showed a man who had been hospitalised after being shot, reportedly by a taxi driver who had thrown him out of his car on Samsen Road after the passenger appeared to be about to vomit. The two reportedly got into a fistfight, after which the taxi driver took a gun from the taxi and shot the man in the chest before fleeing.

In another incident last Thursday that was made public yesterday on Facebook, a taxi driver flashed a pistol after telling four passengers to get out after one of them asked him to turn up the air-conditioner.

The passengers hailed the taxi at Bangkok's Mengjai intersection and asked to be taken to Phaholyothin Road.

A woman who was among the passengers said on Facebook that after being told to get out, one passenger asked a fellow passenger to take pictures of the taxi as evidence to be used later in filing a complaint against the driver. The photo was widely shared on the social networking site.

After the passenger took the picture, the driver approached them and flashed a pistol, saying, "Go ahead and complain - I’m not worried," she said on Facebook.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-15

several thoughts

If someone was about to vomit in my cab, i'd tell him to get out.

Just a thought, but pulling a gun maybe over the topblink.png

And telling someone to get out after being "asked" to turn up the AC........

Why do i get the feeling that there's a little more to the story than this?whistling.gif

All these stories are one sided. There is more to it than whats in a singe sentence. and i'm not shocked that cabbies in TL are packing. I would if i was a cabbie. Esp if you work nights in bkk.

But to flash it, let alone use it, is just plain stupid.

Now he (they) will be hunted down.

He's a danger to the public, and even a greater sin,

he's a danger to TL's tourism industry's reputation!blink.png

We can't travel on buses, motorcycles and cars are out over Songkran and now the taxi's are rebelling - anyone for a bicycle?

A bicycle is definitely no-go for Songkran, unless you want to be assaulted non-stop by revelers.

I get a chuckle when I read in Lonely Planet and other tourist guides, about 'how calm Thai people are' and how they 'disdain showing anger.' What a load of kaka.

Come to Laos - it's just as fun as in Thailand, only with far and I mean FAR less traffic much of which consists of tourists from China, Thailand, Vietnam and third countries driving their own vehicles. You can also ride a bicycle and find areas where you won't get wet.
  • Like 1

Better idea : Stock up on foods, snacks and beer, and perhaps a few movies, lock all doors, and party in your own living room.

My family do this every year - we make it a special family event at home and keep off the streets.

Yup, that's basically what I do too. Not difficult with a little forethought, and far more enjoyable than being doused at every turn when you go out.

several thoughts

If someone was about to vomit in my cab, i'd tell him to get out.

Just a thought, but pulling a gun maybe over the topblink.png

And telling someone to get out after being "asked" to turn up the AC........

Why do i get the feeling that there's a little more to the story than this?whistling.gif

All these stories are one sided. There is more to it than whats in a singe sentence. and i'm not shocked that cabbies in TL are packing. I would if i was a cabbie. Esp if you work nights in bkk.

But to flash it, let alone use it, is just plain stupid.

Now he (they) will be hunted down.

He's a danger to the public, and even a greater sin,

he's a danger to TL's tourism industry's reputation!blink.png

You did read the part where the taxi driver shot the man in the chest, didn't you? Is that acceptable?

Oh by the way: before someone else does it....."it can happen anywhere, not only in Thailand and it is their country, so if you don't like, being shot in chest for appearing to be needing to vomit...go home"!

• Like 2

I was refused at Prathumwan Princess Hotel so I took a photo of the taxi with a flash to prove my point. The guy left the taxi and closed the meter saying to me he was on a break. Photo clearly showed he was not. The continued refusal of the taxi drivers to pick up and the 2,000 THB fine is simply unenforceable so what other bright ideas are there if the police will not act (as always) and taxis can threaten passengers with guns?

We can't travel on buses, motorcycles and cars are out over Songkran and now the taxi's are rebelling - anyone for a bicycle?

A bicycle is definitely no-go for Songkran, unless you want to be assaulted non-stop by revelers.

I get a chuckle when I read in Lonely Planet and other tourist guides, about 'how calm Thai people are' and how they 'disdain showing anger.' What a load of kaka.

Yeah that has been a running joke with me for years. How Thai people carefully instruct new farangs on the very important cultural aspect of having a cool heart, and how losing your temper makes you look bad in the eyes of Thai people. I personally feel Thais are some of the hottest tempered people I have ever met on this planet, and ready to explode over the smallest of matters. This case is clearly a perfect example of this.

So I guess the myth of the good hearted taxi driver will be taking a hit with this story. Time for another story where a taxi driver finds a million baht left in his cab and carefully returns it... :-)

As I like to point out to newcomers regarding this point, Thailand's national sport is muay thai, not table tennis.

I think the explosive temper comes from a society that forces people to repress their emotions, so when they finally go off duck for cover!

• Like 2

Taxi drivers carrying guns. Dear me.

They really need to start being properly regulated and vetted to eliminate some of the many scumbags that seem to choose this occupation.

Note to self: Next time a taxi wants to charge me 1000 baht for 200 baht fare, and he reaches for the glove box, immediately pay him the 1000 baht with a smile.....

Much of the % that drive taxis, tuk tuks are not very intelligent sophisticated in any way shape or form. Actually many "low lives" that may or may not have alcohol/drug issues or just the need to scan and cheat out of character.

Some of the drivers are nice also. One driver that spoke business like English and claimed to be from Ayutayya commented on may problematic drivers mainly from the N.E. This middle aged driver embarrassingly ended up telling me he lost everything in 1997 and needed extra money and driving a taxi had virtually zero requirements/qualifications. He produced rather official looking government ID that sure looked consistent with being a lawyer. Sure why not? NYC has many an Indian / Pakistani medical doctor driving taxis.

If you take a video or photos of a taxi that breaks the rules don't tell the driver how he will have to pay a fine. Some/many of them lack logic or self control and may assault you or worse. They are not happy about the law saying the meter must be turned on or they cannot refuse to take you. Recently a taxi agreed to take me but did not turn on the meter despite me asking nicely at first. He just drove and told me an absurd fare for my well known destination.

I videotaped it and said he'd pay a fine. Anyway I demanded he stop so he did. I walked into a 7/11 and he followed me and assumed a fighting stance with one hand in his back pocket. He stood there for a minute or two, looked around 7/11 then left. I was on the phone with the police.

It does seem the majority of society is quite passive if not apathetic. Alcohol/drugs are related to many exceptions though.

Edited by atyclb

After having almost no problems with taxis over the last 8 years, it seems to get worse since a year or so. Refused trips, no meter, or not even stopping. Still, many Thai people ask before entering the cab, means they approve or accept the situation.

I started to take photos before I leave the car, to at leat scare the driver.

Two weeks ago I asked a co-worker to complain about following incident on the complaint hotline:

In the middle of my trip the driver got a phone call and I could understand that it was about picking up a passenger and the price for this trip would be 400 Baht. After finishing we stopped the car and he asked me to get out. "Sorry, accident".

Let's see what happnes with the complain. They promised to call back and let us know the result.

Oh by the way: before someone else does it....."it can happen anywhere, not only in Thailand and it is their country, so if you don't like, being shot in chest for appearing to be needing to vomit...go home"!

The victim who was shot in the chest was trying to go home...by taxi. smile.png

Yeah that has been a running joke with me for years. How Thai people carefully instruct new farangs on the very important cultural aspect of having a cool heart, and how losing your temper makes you look bad in the eyes of Thai people. I personally feel Thais are some of the hottest tempered people I have ever met on this planet, and ready to explode over the smallest of matters. This case is clearly a perfect example of this.

So I guess the myth of the good hearted taxi driver will be taking a hit with this story. Time for another story where a taxi driver finds a million baht left in his cab and carefully returns it... :-)

Yes, people here have a tendency to snap rather than bend.

In the west we 'practice' having arguments, even heated nasty bitter ones, generally without resulting in fists, knives or guns being brandished or used. So, people here have a rather thin skin when it comes to insults. I have heard people, in the USA, verbally insult their servers, cab drivers, waiters, employees, frequently (and Europe to some extent,) rather than taking it personally, as is the case in Thailand I believe, many in the USA just think of the rude person as "F#$king moron," and pay little attention to it. Anger hurts the person who is angry, that sort of thing..

Some take offence and return verbal fire. Others take the opportunity to earn a free jail sentence and let their hand gun do the talking. I know from personal experience with my medical assistants here, how 'close friends' can turn on one, in a second, even after months of medical volunteer work together. They have the temper tantrum and desire for "revenge" of an 8 year old (though highly educated and smart they may be,) that said we are no better in the USA, just a bit more tolerant at dealing with insults thrown at us.

All I know is, it would be a VERY bad idea to call my Thai cab driver a "Stupid F%#king Cu%t!" or some such thing with out the expectation of a massive explosive retaliation.

Edited by Happyphotons

Over the past many years I have found the bicycle to be the most efficient means of tackling the mayhem of Songkran and I always have enjoyed it. I guess good for some/ not good for others.

• Like 1

Vomiting in a car? It was justified to shoot them as a general deterrent and principle.

Would not be justified to shoot a child who vomited unless it was projectile type vomit that hit the driver.

Shooting a pet dog for vomiting in a car?. That's mandatory to shoot the dog but shooting the dog's owner is drivers choice.

I don't make the rules.