Why Not More Solar Energy?

Crazy chef 1

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

฿8,500 for 280 watts works out to about ฿30,000 per kilowatt. My home uses less than 400 kilowatt hours per month. If you figure that we average at least 3 hours of sunlight per day then if I had 5 kilowatts of solar panels I would average 15 kilowatt hours a day, which is more than enough. That would be ฿150,000. Figure over a 20 year span, so ฿7,500 a year to produce (15*365) 5,475 kilowatt hours per year which comes out to ฿1.37 per kilowatt hour. That doesn't include the finance charge or battery costs

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

฿8,500 for 280 watts works out to about ฿30,000 per kilowatt. My home uses less than 400 kilowatt hours per month. If you figure that we average at least 3 hours of sunlight per day then if I had 5 kilowatts of solar panels I would average 15 kilowatt hours a day, which is more than enough. That would be ฿150,000. Figure over a 20 year span, so ฿7,500 a year to produce (15*365) 5,475 kilowatt hours per year which comes out to ฿1.37 per kilowatt hour. That doesn't include the finance charge or battery costs

for the "280W panel" Amorn calculates an average of 1.5kWh/day based on 5 hours of sun:

ผลิตกระแสไฟได้ 1,400 - 1,600 วัตต์ในการชาร์จ 5 ชั่วโมงต่อวัน

if that assumption is correct (i doubt it) the rough calculation/estimate looks like this:

10 panels each 8,500.......................................................THB 85,000

mounting, wiring................................................................THB 10,000

4 batteries 12V/160A each 4,000.....................................THB 16,000

non grid tie inverter...........................................................THB 11,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

total investment................................................................THB122,000

======================================================

producing 5,475kWh/year @ 4.65 (my rate).....................THB 25,459

capital cost @ 5% p.a......................................................THB 6,100

net gain1 p.a....................................................................THB 19,359

cost batterie replacement p.a...........................................THB 4,000

net gain2 p.a....................................................................THB 15,359

break even period.................................................................8 years

(potential inverter replacement not considered)

for the "280W panel" Amorn calculates an average of 1.5kWh/day based on 5 hours of sun:

ผลิตกระแสไฟได้ 1,400 - 1,600 วัตต์ในการชาร์จ 5 ชั่วโมงต่อวัน [/size]

if that assumption is correct (i doubt it) the rough calculation/estimate looks like this:

10 panels each 8,500.......................................................THB 85,000

mounting, wiring................................................................THB 10,000

non grid tie inverter...........................................................THB 11,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

total investment................................................................THB122,000

capital cost @ 5% p.a......................................................THB 6,100

net gain1 p.a....................................................................THB 19,359

cost batterie replacement p.a...........................................THB 4,000

net gain2 p.a....................................................................THB 15,359

break even period.................................................................8 years

Well, 15.359 THB per year is very small money considering the effort.

Also you do not consider the need for replacing faulty panels.

And 8 years before break even... what if one wants to move?

While a lot of people "investing" in Thai real estate are happy to pay 20+ year's worth of market rent for properties they don't even really own legally, assuming appreciation rather than depreciation and not even factoring maintenance charges.

If rent is "throwing money away" under those circumstances, so is paying an electric bill. . .

if you tell me how many faulty panels one experiences in x-number of years i will consider them in my rough calculation. tongue.png

Take into account that the harsh and lurid weather conditions in Thailand (baking in the blazing sun, then raining dogs and cats, then again oxidizing in the moisture, dusting down in the dry season) does strongly affect the life span of solar panels in Thailand. I would even say that it cuts their life expectancy into HALF of those used in Europe. The extreme Thai subtropic weather conditions will let them disintegrate fast !

Any small crack in their frames might even invite termites to build their nests, as they do within computers. You all know what will then follow.

Also, I want to remind everyone here on the board, that solar panels deliver their largest output rate in a moderate temperature of not more than 12 C degrees! The hotter it is, the less energy they produce. Actually, they deliver better on a 12C slightly CLOUDY day than in blazing sunlight at 38 C degrees. In Thailand their efficiency is thus reduced by a far amount. Add that Thais don't care much about proper maintenance of converters and solid state storage, I guess your success stories will be rare.

The hot weather and the baking sun could be much better used with solar convectors ( parabolic mirrors collecting the sun's rays and used to heat water, this water then in turn drives steam turbines which generate electricity). However, this technology, again, needs utter care in maintenance. In a country where electricians are unable to wire proper grounded cables and where scientists suggest that boat propellers should be used to make rivers flow downstream at a faster rate, it might actually be fruitless to establish complicated technical equipment, only to watch it being destroyed by amateurish handling.

Edited by crazygreg44

I don't think this is a good climate for solar panels. I would of course defer to others, just guessing. We do have sun, but not crazy amounts like come drier climates might get. The cloud coverage is prevalent, and the rain would probably cause a lot of maintenance issues.

if you tell me how many faulty panels one experiences in x-number of years i will consider them in my rough calculation. tongue.png

I don't know, but here are some related articles:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-news/failure-rates-pv-panels-are-climbing

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Troubling-solar-panel-defect-rate-seen-4140805.php

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2011/03/the-bottom-line-impact-of-pv-module-reliability

plus, apparently, high temperatures both

1- lower the output of the panels (panels work better when cold, you can guess at which temperature the numbers stated by the manufacturers are achieved)

and

2- put them at more risk of damage

maybe some of my caclculations from this thread can be used:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/342654-solar-powered-home-in-thailand/#entry3374065

Did someone any Chinese company that send 100 watt solar cells to Thailand?

What is price in china?

How high solar cells taxed in thailand?

At 5,800 Baht from Amorn Solar http://www.amornsolar.com/ it's barely worth the hassle of importing them.

But Crossy, according to this post from Feesbay John that 120 Watt panel would cost only about 1500 Baht if purchased from him. I calculate 4.6 Kw at 56.500 Baht divided in 120Watt panels.

When have I ever said a 120w solar panel is only 1,500 baht
But Crossy, according to this post from Feesbay John that 120 Watt panel would cost only about 1500 Baht if purchased from him. I calculate 4.6 Kw at 56.500 Baht divided in 120Watt panels.
Try reading a comment, as Crossy said, was talking about the price of the GRID TIE, and yes if you only look on my website you can buy a GRID TIE Inverter which is 4.6 kw max 5kw

Did someone any Chinese company that send 100 watt solar cells to Thailand?

What is price in china?

How high solar cells taxed in thailand?

At 5,800 Baht from Amorn Solar http://www.amornsolar.com/ it's barely worth the hassle of importing them.

When have I ever said a 120w solar panel is only 1,500 baht
Try reading a comment, as Crossy said, was talking about the price of the GRID TIE, and yes if you only look on my website you can buy a GRID TIE Inverter which is 4.6 kw max 5kw

Why should I or would I prove anything to you jbrain , I sell solar panels, grid tie inverter and inverter ever week here in Thailand, Do you think I am going to give you all the information. Think again. It's because of people like you that I just don't or will not comment as all you talk about is negative instead off looking at the plus side of things. I just had a phone call 2 days ago from someone that has installed 10 x 280w panels and a 4.6kw grid tie from us, his bill was 2,500 baht per month, this month it was 420 baht. BUT You would look at this as,,, Yeah but what about next month. ext ext

Why should I or would I prove anything to you jbrain , I sell solar panels, grid tie inverter and inverter ever week here in Thailand, Do you think I am going to give you all the information. Think again. It's because of people like you that I just don't or will not comment as all you talk about is negative instead off looking at the plus side of things. I just had a phone call 2 days ago from someone that has installed 10 x 280w panels and a 4.6kw grid tie from us, his bill was 2,500 baht per month, this month it was 420 baht. BUT You would look at this as,,, Yeah but what about next month. ext ext

The point is that you can't provide a link that the Electricity Authority buys back electricity from private people, because there is no such thing in Thailand. There is a legislation in place for companies, but not for private households.

So if you connect such a grid tie inverter to your system without approval from the electricity company you're prone to legal action.

If you are a solar company you would have every interest in providing such a link as it for sure would encourage many people on this forum to consider solar energy.

You shouild also add to your comment that the example you talk about in above post concerns a company, for which a buy back legislation is in place, because 10 x 280 Watt panels can never generate 450 KwH a month to push back in the grid.

Edited by jbrain

ummm Based on other Thai products I would wonder if it would work for more than a month not how many panels per x number of years I might need ! JK ..... sort of

all the calculations on wattage, estimate outputs, price comparisons etc are obsolete. The statistics that all these figures are based on, may have derived from experiences achieved in countries with moderate climate.

Folks, don't ever forget, this is Thailand

Upcountry, I have come upon numerous solar panels used for monk quarters. ALL . .yes, all of them were abandoned, given up. Smug, shatter, demolish, forget it.

Battery storage ? Hell, they start to boil in the hot season. Will they work for two years ? Chok dee, maybe !

you folks here started a useless discussion, IMHO. Get smart, read about solar panel output, life expectancy, watt vs costs.

I think while I am shagging my pimmy, i get a better energy vs. investment result than your average solar rooftop . . . .

The point is that you can't provide a link that the Electricity Authority buys back electricity from private people, because there is no such thing in Thailand. There is a legislation in place for companies, but not for private households.

So if you connect such a grid tie inverter to your system without approval from the electricity company you're prone to legal action.

If you are a solar company you would have every interest in providing such a link as it for sure would encourage many people on this forum to consider solar energy.

You shouild also add to your comment that the example you talk about in above post concerns a company, for which a buy back legislation is in place, because 10 x 280 Watt panels can never generate 450 KwH a month to push back in the grid.

Like I have said before YOU do need to set up a company to sell back to the grid. BUT if you are not selling kw back and it is for your own use, then all you need to do is notify your electric company, letting them know you have solar installed, so they don't think there is some thing wrong with the meter. You will also have to give them the spec of the grid tie just to show it has island protection.

If I am a solar company ( we a registered as PING SOLAR in Thailand ) and yes it is in our interest to give the links and info to our customers. Although my wife does set all this up with the electric company in the area they are fitted or sold.

The 10 x 280w panels are for his own use,,, who mentioned a buy back in this comment.

Like I have said before YOU do need to set up a company to sell back to the grid. BUT if you are not selling kw back and it is for your own use, then all you need to do is notify your electric company, letting them know you have solar installed, so they don't think there is some thing wrong with the meter. You will also have to give them the spec of the grid tie just to show it has island protection.

If I am a solar company ( we a registered as PING SOLAR in Thailand ) and yes it is in our interest to give the links and info to our customers. Although my wife does set all this up with the electric company in the area they are fitted or sold.

The 10 x 280w panels are for his own use,,, who mentioned a buy back in this comment.

Yes, baby. Talk to me in ten years later. Keep me posted.

You will all go bankrupt.

If that customer saves 2080 Baht a month just by pushing electricity back in the grid, that equals to 452 Kwh or 15 KwH/day at the rate I was charged last month.

Now explain to us how 2800 Watt max rated panels can generate 15 KwH a day.

If that customer saves 2080 Baht a month just by pushing electricity back in the grid, that equals to 452 Kwh or 15 KwH/day at the rate I was charged last month.

2.8kw x 5.5 = 15.4kw per day

2.8kw of solar panels is per hour not per day. BUT we x it by only 5.5 hours of direct sunlight

Edited by Feesbay John

i did solar energy in 1984.

i lighted my room with a single panel, 11 watts,

later we beebaabeefed up , added a converter. stil only lights, no laundry machine.

It's been a long way from there days.

call me a hypocrite, but I have changed my thinking regarding solar silicate panels.

it's a death end road . . .

2.8kw of solar panels is per hour not per day. BUT we x it by only 5.5 hours of direct sunlight

My excuses, I was wrong in my calculations and theoretical it should be possible to generate 15 Kw per day under ideal circumstances.

Now, lets be realistic, 2,8 Kw will give you at best 30% less after taking in account the climate and the efficiency of the inverter. Then you can garantee 5,5 hours of direct sunlight every day ?

I think I was lucky if I had 1 hour today in Pattaya.

• Like 1

My excuses, I was wrong in my calculations and theoretical it should be possible to generate 15 Kw per day under ideal circumstances.

Now, lets be realistic, 2,8 Kw will give you at best 30% less after taking in account the climate and the efficiency of the inverter. Then you can garantee 5,5 hours of direct sunlight every day ?

See this is were you always look on the down side, how many days a year do we get in Thailand with only 1 hour of sun light. BUT also keep in mind that even when the sun is not shining but there is light a solar panel can still generate electric.

The efficiency of the grid tie is the key, the one;s we have are upt o 97% efficient, The 30% lose you are talking about is if you use a battery bank. You have to put in a battery bank 30% more than you can take out. BUT not with a grid tie.

I think the answer to the OP is that it's simply easier to pay the electric bill that for most people who could afford Solar is pretty much peanuts compared to income.

Same reason everyone doesn't drive a Prius ..... the gas savings verses a car they don't especially like is not worth it.

Same reason people don't burn wood in woodstoves , the savings verses the work is not worth it.

What is a little unfortunate in the world is that the people who would prefer to drive the Prius or use Solar power are the ones who can't afford it.

• Like 1

AGAIN, boys & Girlzzs !

The efficiency of a solar panel is NOT God in HOT climates.

The best outputs are achieved at 12 degrees Celsius.

Sunlight not neccessary. Just have an average daytime clouded or not.

Enlighten me, please, if you have a better definition.

bye bye

Edited by crazygreg44

The 5.5 is an average over a year, it will be more and less depending on the climate. The efficiency of a solar panel is down to the solar cell used in that panel. It is not about who make's the panel BUT who makes the cells in that solar panel for the area in which is is been used, Ever Green is the most efficient cell in a hot climate, which is why I use that cell when making my own panels. If you look at most off the solar farms here in Thailand they use Suntech panels WHY because they are the most efficient in this climate. OK Suntech is in liquidation because of the cheap panels been made by China and people not understanding about efficiency of a solar panel in the climate it is been used in.