Hulu, Netflix, And Bbc Iplayer Without A Vpn [Solved]

schondie

There's a very useful add-on for Firefox and Chrome called Media Hint that allows you to watch TV programmes or listen to Pandora without using a VPN.

I was sceptical but tried out Hulu and BBC iplayer without any problems.

I hope this is of some use to others that want to watch Hulu etc.

• Like 1

According to a post on the Media Hint plugin page

According to its source code, Media Hint works by proxying all users requests - for ALL websites - through their proxy server.

This means they know everywhere you are going on the internet - if not what you are doing. They may or may not identify us as individuals, but a future update could easily include code that does since they have access to any page you browse.

Since the proxy is speedy and quality is high when I use Pandora, I assume there is quite an investment being made here to keep this going given the number of users.

In short, there must be a business model.

Whatever this business model is, be aware of what resources Media Hint has at their disposal when you download this extension: all of your browsing activity.

Until we know more, I highly recommend turning off Media Hint while not using Hulu/Pandora/Netflix etc.

There's another plug-in - Hola - that seems to do a similar thing, but I don't know if that is set up to proxy all your content like Media Hint or they only cache selected websites. For both it would probably be a good idea to use them selectively.

Just retried the Hola extension on firefox and iron(chrome) and not able to access BBCiPlayer TV. ITVPlayer is ok on both. BBC used to be listed in the Hola list of sites, it is not now, for me.

Anyone else having the same problem? (It's not my primary access to BBC so not major prob, but nice to have alternatives available.) Have not tried media hint yet. Will report back when tried.

• Like 1

In the interest of science I had to check, and I can confirm that while Hula doesn't unlock BBC iplayer, Media Hint seems to work fine. (Edit: Disclaimer: Using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.43 m)

I don't like that they don't provide any visual clues in the browser that the extension is active, nor any easy way to suspend it when not necessary (you have to go into browser settings > extensions to disable it). There's a reason why the isp's in Thailand deploy proxy servers, most of the time it greatly increase the speed of websites and save a bundle of bandwidth that are better used elsewhere, so it's not a good idea to use these extension where they're not required.

The Hola add on used to work on Firefox (sometimes) and Chrome for BBCiPlayer but comments on the Hola site would indicate access stopped around 5/6 April.

Ref Media Hint... for me unable to access BBC TV via True and FF 20.0.1 (connection reset) but Hulu ok. No time now to investigate further.

Agree that no indication on browser that Media Hint is active is not good, especially as they could be tracking you via the proxy. Have disable at the moment.

Edited by ThaidDown

ThaidDown, on 16 Apr 2013 - 12:54, said:

Just retried the Hola extension on firefox and iron(chrome) and not able to access BBCiPlayer TV. ITVPlayer is ok on both. BBC used to be listed in the Hola list of sites, it is not now, for me.

Anyone else having the same problem? (It's not my primary access to BBC so not major prob, but nice to have alternatives available.) Have not tried media hint yet. Will report back when tried.

Mine did have BBC but now does not list it at all.

CBS, Fox, Hulu, ITV, Netflix, Pandora are the only ones listed for me now.

Edit to add on Firefox 20

Edited by pattayadingo

I was playing around with Hola.org this morning, and it seems to have some good qualities in terms of unblocking various U.S. and some UK video and music streaming sites for Thailand travelers/residents.

The first item is all flavors of Hola are absolutely free, and their website indicates they plan to keep it free for the future, while monetizing future, as yet unspecified premium services. So that's a nice feature, especially when most VPN services are $5 to $10 or more per month.

The second item is that Hola comes in a bunch of different flavors: a full Windows app, a Firefox browser extension, a Chrome browser extension, an Android app, and I believe they've indicated they're planning an IOS app.

They don't make it particularly easy to see in advance what websites their service will unblock. You almost have to install either the Windows app or the browser extension in order to be directed to webpages that supposedly show the sites that either one will unblock. Their lists have a much longer list of unblocked sites for the Windows app, and a shorter one for the browser extensions, but those may not be entirely accurate.

In my tinkering this morning, I tried both the full Windows 7 app and the Chrome browser extension solo. And to my surprise, the Chrome browser extension unblocked all the sites I tried, based on their unblock list, and even some that weren't on the list. Whereas, the Windows app at least for me didn't unblock a lot of the sites it is supposed to unblock.

Here's their two site unblock lists right now, first for the Windows app, and then a shorter list for the Chrome extension:

Windows:

post-58284-0-65426400-1366275662_thumb.j

Chrome:

post-58284-0-90397100-1366275678_thumb.j

In my testing with the Windows app, it worked for regular Hulu, but did NOT work for Pandora, USA Networks or the ITV Player.

In my testing with the Chrome extension, it worked for regular Hulu, Pandora and ITV as it is supposed to, but even worked for USA Networks, which isn't on their Chrome list.

I didn't try either with Netflix which is on both lists, since I've let my Netflix account lapse as present.

Also, in trying with the Chrome extension today, mine did NOT work either with Amazon Prime Instant Video nor with the BBC IPlayer. BBC used to be one of their supposedly sites for unblocking, but no longer is showing on their lists. I don't believe Amazon PIV has ever been on their unblock lists. But they are promising to expand the roster of unblocked sites for the future.

The speed quality seemed fine in terms of playing streaming video via the Chrome extension. With the Windows app, however, it seemed my PC was very slow to respond in general while I had the app installed, and yet reverted to normal snappy speeds once I uninstalled the Windows app.

Here's a Lifehacker article on this relatively new service:

http://lifehacker.com/5978591/hola-unblocker-gives-you-access-to-iplayer-netflix-pandora-hulu-and-more-regardless-of-region

And Hola also has a Facebook page with more info:

https://www.facebook.com/HolaBetterInternet

They also have a long and pretty detailed FAQs page:

http://hola.org/faq.html

Based on my testing and tinkering this far, I'm planning to keep it installed as an extension on my Chrome browser, and see how the service develops for the future.

As far as managing the use of the Chrome browser extension, a single left mouse click of the Hola icon in your browser's menu bar brings up a small Hola pop-up menu that has a check box for enabling or disabling the service. That same pop-up also has a link to another menu that allows you to select or deselect particular sites for unblocking.

I'd probably give it a try as a Firefox extension also. But their FAQs information I believe indicates that Hola doesn't play well with another extension, IE Tab, that I use in Firefox. So for now, I'll continue doing my main work in Firefox, but doing more of my video streaming viewing in Chrome.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Don't know if this works for everyone or for every site but,

Watching the BBC I find you can connect using a free VPN based in the UK. Once the programme starts I disconnect the VPN and after a brief hiccup the programme continues direct to TOT and on to me.

Gets around the slow VPN connection.

• Like 1

Here is a very simple and free solution that only requires you to change your DNS settings:

http://tunlr.net

Also, it is faster than using VPN since there is no routing through an intermediate server or encryptation overhead. Also works with iPhones, iPads, AppleTV, etc.

Also a good solution, though I have to correct you, these type of solutions that works through DNS settings work by routing select URL's through a proxy server, so it does go through an intermediate server for the services supported.

How does it work?

Tunlr does not provide a virtual private network (VPN). Tunlr is a DNS (domain name system) unblocking service. We’re using sophisticated technologies (a.k.a. the Tunlr Secret Sauce ©) to re-adress certain data envelopes, tricking the receiver into thinking the envelope originated from within the U.S. For these data envelopes, Tunlr is transparently creating a network tunnel from your location to our U.S.-based servers. Any data that’s not directly related to the video or music content providers which Tunlr supports is not only left untouched, it’s also not even routed through Tunlr. In order to use Tunlr, you will have to change the DNS address.

Well I tried Media Hint and anonymoX .

My God what a lot of problems I had with security on other sites. I receieved messages of someone trying to access my account fromNew York etc. Changed the passwords six or seven times with all the hassle of SMs's , emails etc. confirming the change, only to be locked out again as soon as I logged on to the sites.

I thought it was a virus or trojan and spent two hours checking everything. Finally deleted Media Hint and anonymox and everything was ok.

I'll stick to Hola blocker or my VPN

• Like 1

Hi,

I downloaded Hola from a link on this forum about a month ago and it has been fantastic. After the songkran holiday I found it no longer worked (could no longer access the BBC, ITV etc- got the message it is not available in your country), so I deleted it and reinstalled it but it still oes not work.

I am using Windows XP. Has this hapened to anyone else? any ideas what could be wrong? I am sure its probably a simple setting but no idea what.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Why use a paid ($$$$ per dy/week/month) vpn when there are so many other free solutions? Heck even the free vpns like http://websitevpn.com/ for the UK and US allow for streaming. and nicely too.

I've never heard of this service. And curiously, there seems to be no mention anywhere on their website of who they are or what company is running this service or where they're located.

It kind of makes you wonder, how they're paying the bills, and why they're doing it?

Media Hint and Hola allow you to watch Netflix and other streams for free on your computer, however, just like VPN, they don't work on Apple TV, Roku or other Smart TVs. For Smart TV or media boxes like ATV, DNS unblocking service such as Tunlr maybe a better choice. Tunlr is free and works on ATV.

As for Tunlr:

Your favourite service is missing?

There are a number of sites which we won’t support for several reasons which we sum up under the term “not Tunlr-friendly”. Not Tunlr-friendly are: Youtube, Amazon Instant Video, Cinemanow, Vudu, Teleboy, Wilmaa, Starz, HGTV, Foodnetwork, Channel 4 live streams and 4OD, BBC live streams, TVCatchup, ESPN, MLB, Google Play and Spotify.

http://tunlr.net/channels/

Posted on November 6, 2013 by Tunlr
  • Some services we support on Tunlr consume a lot of sever resources. We need to create a revenue stream for resource-heavy services.
  • The current per IP address-range unlocking model (Gatekeeper) is not flexible enough for users with lots of IP address changes. The model is also difficult to understand for less tech-savvy users.
  • The demand for Tunlr is off the charts which leads to stability issues in our infrastructure.

That’s why we’re going to make two major adjustments:

1) We will move to a per-IP based unlocking system (Gatekeeper II). Everyone who wants to use Tunlr will have to create a personal account and update his/her public IP address in Gatekeeper II whenever it changes.

2) We will introduce two plans. A free plan for less resource-heavy services and a monthly or yearly paid plan to get access to the most resource-heavy services.

We haven’t finally decided on which services will be available in the paid plan. You can expect Netflix to be part of the paid plan among 1-2 other services. We won’t reveal pricing details at this time but you can expect the prices to be very affordable. All other services will be made available in the free plan. We will continue to focus on users with enough tech know-how to support themselves in terms of setup and troubleshooting individual problems. That’s how we plan to keep the price of the paid plan as low as possible.

The transition to Gatekeeper II will take place after the holidays, on January 4th, 2014. You won’t be able to renew whitelisted address blocks in Gatekeeper I past this date.

http://tunlr.net/2013/11/06/adjustments/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK