Visa Renewal: Bank Letter To Show 800,000 Baht

westbounder

I am an American and I have to renew my retirement Visa next month.

I will get a letter from Bangkok Bank stating that I have at least 800,000 baht in an account for at least 3 months.

My question is can I just walk into my branch of Bkk Bank where I opened the account and ask for a letter on the spot and recieve it the same day? Also, how many days is the letter good for before it expires? (in the eyes of Immigration).

Thank You

Yes you can go into your branch or for that matter any branch of Bangkok Bank and receive your letter confirming your funds. Make sure you have your bank book and passport with you. The letter will be dated and is only good for three days.

I get mine the day before I go to renew, Immigration like it up to date as possible,and you will

need copies of every page of your bank book,chopped and signed by the bank,

Do not believe the bank would do your letter the same day, as has to be signed by the manager,

and it is good for only 1 or 2 days,as I said thats what the immigration wants,up to date.

Regards Worgeordie

I have used Bangkok Bank, ever since I arrived here,,,,,my branch is Kad Suan Kaew.

It usually takes about 15 minutes to get the letter, which I get the day before going to immigration,

I just walk in and ask for a letter for immigration. I guess if the manager isn't there then a deputy probably does it. I have never had the photocopies of my bank book stamped and signed by the bank, just my signature and never had a problem with immigration. However, getting them stamped sounds like a good idea and I do take my passbook with me to immigration, just in case they ask to see it, which they never have. Different banks might have different rules and we know immigration can move the goal posts on a whim.

I can only speak for my experience with both BB -KSK and immigration, at renewal time.

The experience of others may differ.

I get mine the day before I go to renew, Immigration like it up to date as possible,and you will

need copies of every page of your bank book,chopped and signed by the bank,

Do not believe the bank would do your letter the same day, as has to be signed by the manager,

and it is good for only 1 or 2 days,as I said thats what the immigration wants,up to date.

Regards Worgeordie

If you are a fairly regular customer, ie known to staff you don't require the manager to sign ,they do have holidays sometimes. I have used the Bangkok Bank branch near Chiang Mai Gate for 5 years, never had a problem, in and out,the day before Immigration visit, in 15 minutes max.

• Like 1

I have used Bangkok Bank, ever since I arrived here,,,,,my branch is Kad Suan Kaew.

It usually takes about 15 minutes to get the letter, which I get the day before going to immigration,

I just walk in and ask for a letter for immigration. I guess if the manager isn't there then a deputy probably does it. I have never had the photocopies of my bank book stamped and signed by the bank, just my signature and never had a problem with immigration. However, getting them stamped sounds like a good idea and I do take my passbook with me to immigration, just in case they ask to see it, which they never have. Different banks might have different rules and we know immigration can move the goal posts on a whim.

I can only speak for my experience with both BB -KSK and immigration, at renewal time.

The experience of others may differ.

Ditto.

Don't know where you live but Maehongson immigration insists that the bank letter be written the same day as the application for extension.

edit- And they insist that the bank book be updated the same day as well...

Edited by cloudhopper

bangkok branch srinakornping,my branch will arrange the letter for you there and then,takes 20 minutes tops,100bht for cost,my mate went 3 weeks ago to renew ext of stay visa,by the bank letter method,and had to go back home in middle of interview to get his bank book as officer insisted she wanted to see it,no proplem on return was sorted out straight away.

With the letter and when required bank book do you still need the letter from the counsel that it is legit?

I've never ever needed a letter from the consul to prove the bank letter is legit. Bank letter and passbook seems to cover all bases.

Don't know where you live but Maehongson immigration insists that the bank letter be written the same day as the application for extension.

edit- And they insist that the bank book be updated the same day as well...

It used to be like that in Chiang Mai 20 years ago, but it would be unworkable now.

I go the day before and they put a hold on you withdrawing anything from that account for 24 hours

There would be a scrum outside the banks every morning if they followed Mae Hong Son. biggrin.png

With the letter and when required bank book do you still need the letter from the counsel that it is legit?

No, the consular affadavit is an alternative method. And Maehongson immo insists that the consular letter be officially translated into Thai as well. (The bank letter will be in Thai).

Yes you can go into your branch or for that matter any branch of Bangkok Bank and receive your letter confirming your funds. Make sure you have your bank book and passport with you. The letter will be dated and is only good for three days.

Bull s..t it's good for a month.

I've never ever needed a letter from the consul to prove the bank letter is legit. Bank letter and passbook seems to cover all bases.

Thanks for the info

In addition to the letter you will need a photocopy of the bank book, at least the face page and pages showing dates the money arrived up to present, this is what immigration will look at in determining if the money has been there the required 90 days.

you will also be asked to show that the money came from abroad, be sure the letter includes this. Mine usually state the date and amount of the transfer and from where, what Bank.

How long it will take to get the letter depends on the Bank...how busy they are and also if they are used to doing it. If like me you live in an area with few farang, they may have trouble understanding what is needed and several attempts my be needed. (Keep a copy of the letter once you get it so in subsequent years you just show it to them as a template for what you need). Banks are used to giving letters that attest to what your balance is, but the bit about the fund transfer from abroad will be unfamiliar to them if they don't often deal with farang visa issues.

There is indeed a time limit on how long the letter is valid but I am not sure what it is. There is also a need for the passbook (& its photocopied pages) to be recently updated, I think within the past 24 or 48 hrs or something like that.

In addition to the letter you will need a photocopy of the bank book, at least the face page and pages showing dates the money arrived up to present, this is what immigration will look at in determining if the money has been there the required 90 days.

you will also be asked to show that the money came from abroad, be sure the letter includes this. Mine usually state the date and amount of the transfer and from where, what Bank.

How long it will take to get the letter depends on the Bank...how busy they are and also if they are used to doing it. If like me you live in an area with few farang, they may have trouble understanding what is needed and several attempts my be needed. (Keep a copy of the letter once you get it so in subsequent years you just show it to them as a template for what you need). Banks are used to giving letters that attest to what your balance is, but the bit about the fund transfer from abroad will be unfamiliar to them if they don't often deal with farang visa issues.

There is indeed a time limit on how long the letter is valid but I am not sure what it is. There is also a need for the passbook (& its photocopied pages) to be recently updated, I think within the past 24 or 48 hrs or something like that.

I have been setting money aside for it. I more than meet the minium requirement for non married If need be I will be married tomorrow.

I was just trying to save the money out of what I have transferred here a little every month. I just make one withdrawal at the bank and then put part of it in a separate account.

Am I to understand this money would not be acceptable.

OK, here you are:

Bangkok Bank will issue your statement letter while you wait, for a fee that may cost 100 baht or 200 baht depending on they`re mood.

It is valid at Immigration for 7 days prior to your visa extension application date and the letter will be applicable to your bank balance only on the time and day it is issued, the bank will not post date the document.

Immigration only require the original letter, no need to make copies for them.

The letter can be in Thai or English. Best to request a letter in Thai as this lessens the chances of there being any errors from staff who`s English language skills are not so good, especially if your bank branch is not in the main town.

Also make sure that you check the document for errors, especially dates, while in the bank, as you do not want any problems when at Immigration during the visa application torture process.

PS: Ask the bank to make a photo copy of the letter for your own reference. This can be used next time you visit your bank for a statement letter and helps describe what you want, saves a lot of hassle. The banks are not always competent enough to keep a copy on file or on computer.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Sheryl,

No one in CM reports that they're asked to prove that the money came from abroad. I certainly would have a problem -- we transferred the funds here years ago and I'd be hard pressed to come up with that wire transfer receipt.

I have been asked, however, how it is I have money to live since I don't touch that 800,000 baht account, except to withdraw interest every few years. I simply say that my husband's pension is adequate to support us both and pull out the joint Bangkok Bank passbook -- offering for them to see the inbound funds from Hubby's pensions. They just wave that passbook away and have never looked at it.

Always get a kick out of the 800k number they pulled out of their bum. As if you need anywhere near that much to live here, especially if you're married and don't pay rent.

I agree, but don't be surprised if they pull another number out!