Swimming Suit Problems Anyone?

Angeledge777

I went to the water park at Star Tiger Zoo in Chaiyaphum yesterday with my family. It just opened and I taught it was to be a pretty cool to bring the kids over there. It was cool until I throw myself in the swimming pool. An employee came to me and told me I had to get out of the swimming pool because my swimming suit was not appropriate. Surprised, I asked him why I should go out of the swimming pool because my swimming suit is different than most of the Thais (I actually wear californian style swimming suits). He replied to me that I can't use the swimming pool with that swimming suit and that I need to rent one, even after showing him the white net inside to prove him it is really one. Hygiene talking, there is no way I rent a swimming suit knowing dozens of different genitals went in when it is just about the different "look"...

Anyway, I started complaining and asking them a refund as it is not advertised anywhere that only one style of swimming suit is allowed on the site. Strangely, after complaining and asking to talk to his boss, he changed his mind and I could swim as long as I wanted.

It's the first time i see such a weird attitude towards a different style of swimming suit. My question is: is there any other places where they does that and if yes, is can you name them here so we all know where not to go?

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, i'm sure you look like the model in the pic. Maybe it was your big belly hanging over the waistline that really offended them. tongue.png

Drawing a parallel between this incident (and your response) with the thread I started about taxis, a whole lot of people think you should have passively rolled over & accepted what they told you at first. Don't confront & don't assert yourself. This is their business & they can serve whomever they choose, under any conditions they wish. For myself, I would have protested exactly as you did.

the suit you posted would not bother me at all.

I suppose you experienced the modesty we hear about in LOS, notwithstanding the shows available in some of the more popular venues.

I'd lood for another pool location.

I've been having this swimming suit for 4 years, no problems at all. Been swimming since a long time and never, someone told me to get out of a swimming pool. Besides, I am not a trendy person and I refuse to let the trend pass over my personnal comfort. Most of the Thai wears a stretch swimming suit and I am glad they like it. However, I would like to know the strange reason why they acted that way. Is that only to rent me a swimming suit (and god knows I am going to die before I wear a used one) or just to make the "farang" feels cheap?

Of course, this is a swimming suit i've been using for a long time. Isn't there any more important things than that?

Please, post if you know somewhere else where they do that. On my side, Star Tiger Zoo Chaiyaphum is on my black list.

lol, i'm sure you look like the model in the pic. Maybe it was your big belly hanging over the waistline that really offended them. tongue.png

Drawing a parallel between this incident (and your response) with the thread I started about taxis, a whole lot of people think you should have passively rolled over & accepted what they told you at first. Don't confront & don't assert yourself. This is their business & they can serve whomever they choose, under any conditions they wish. For myself, I would have protested exactly as you did.

I got the famous "farang" Whiskey belly and i am far from being like the model hahahahah!

I have run into this and it is not about modesty. Public pools often insist that men wear the tight little speedo trunks. For some reason they have decided that this is the proper suit. For the sake of the public I have declined to ever wear such a suit; and simply went to pools that did not care.

The speedo look is mocked where I come from.

Where was it?

Yes, at low-end public pools it's been pointed out to me that the baggy style of shorts are for the street not for swimming.

I just pretend I have no idea what they're talking about and smile like an idiot and eventually they give up.

I think from a hygiene POV they just don't want you going in the pool in clothing you wear out and about. . .

Same deal at my condo, Centric Scene. Only was kicked out once, by an old lady who is apparently a partial owner. The next week there were signs posted with pics of what is required, only in English haha. Tight rubber looking shorts, swimming shirt, and head cap..<deleted>?! I still go with my son few times a week and use our bathing suits from California, which are designed to swim in. Most of the thai's seem to do the same.

Bit of an overkill if you ask me. I shower before i get in, that should be all that is needed.

A real Californian would have nothing to do with those. This is what you will catch every one of them wearing....

http://www.windwardboardshop.com/photos/19118.jpg

And yes, there is a difference. An esoteric one, but a big one, lol. They are called boardshorts btw.

• Like 1

I have run into this and it is not about modesty. Public pools often insist that men wear the tight little speedo trunks. For some reason they have decided that this is the proper suit. For the sake of the public I have declined to ever wear such a suit; and simply went to pools that did not care.

Where was it?

Western Canada

A real Californian would have nothing to do with those. This is what you will catch every one of them wearing....

http://www.windwardboardshop.com/photos/19118.jpg

And yes, there is a difference. An esoteric one, but a big one, lol. They are called boardshorts btw.

Will remember about boardshorts :)

Where was it?
Western Canada

Sounds like we need to get used to speedos then...

Boardshorts are the go. You can buy them anywhere in Thailand and it is very surprising that the OP was questioned about his attire.

Maybe new establishment with new staff and misunderstanding new protocols (by the new staff).

Cheers.

• Like 1

apart from the dress code, how was the waterpark & zoo?

The Zoo is ok. Not many animals but we are living in quite a small market. For the water park, I should admit it is a great place to be for the kids and even us the parents if we remove the fact that they harrass us to wear their second hand speedos...

I will probably try one more time with my boardshorts if They accept and if they harrass me again, will go to another swimming pool. I guess I have to do that for my kids as they really had a good time over there

Lol... This is so funny... You were on the wrong end of lifeguards bet! (Maybe)...

I used to lifeguard, we'd pull people up for breaking the speed limit and ask them to swim more slowly... !! Some took us seriously.

But seriously... Have you out grown your spandex speedo's ?

I'll never ever wear a speedo... Jam packed... Hahahah

apart from the dress code, how was the waterpark & zoo?

The Zoo is ok. Not many animals but we are living in quite a small market. For the water park, I should admit it is a great place to be for the kids and even us the parents if we remove the fact that they harrass us to wear their second hand speedos...

I will probably try one more time with my boardshorts if They accept and if they harrass me again, will go to another swimming pool. I guess I have to do that for my kids as they really had a good time over there

let us know how you get on cos i'd take my kids up for the day too - but NOT if i am made to wear gross second-hand speedo swimming pants!

Edited by GooEng

Ever heard of 'when in Rome....'?
  • Like 1