Average Monthly Living Costs In Bkk...

Parker1973

The last few years i have split my time roughly 60%/40% between the UK and Thailand...

Owning a property in the Uk and renting when i was in Thailand(Pattaya)...

Running 2 properties started to get expensive and i have decided to relocate to Bkk on a more permanent basis and rent out my home in the Uk.

Been away from Thailand the last 18 months for work reasons.

Just after some constructive help re monthly living costs,as when ive been here before it was for 2-3 month stretches,swanning round Asia and spending money like crazy....

Taking away rent,which ive allowed for...how much would i need a month to live on nicely?

Some info as to my lifestyle may help...

I dont really drink,done the bar girl scene to death,now have a gf with her own condo and own money who is in no way dependant on me financially at all...

Im into all things fitness,gym,running,martial arts...

I speak reasonable Thai but would like to study properly,also usual cinema,dinner out once or twice a week etc...

Condo will have a gym but may like to join one anyway,good to meet new people and better equipment generally...(did have CaWow lifetime memership but thats no good now)

My work in the Uk is seasonal,and 3-4 months work a year will earn me a decent amount to live on..

Would just be nice to know on average what people manage to live on and still have a comfortable lifestyle..

Tried to be as specific as i can,any sensible replies will be greatly appreciated...

Many Thanks...

depends on your age and lifestyle. It is almost impossible to give even a rough estimate . I like a good wine with my meals and that could cost up to Bt1500. A decent condo appartment could cost Bt60-75,000 a month and so on. Servants? Clubs ? The only thong I can say is that it is getting quite expensive now in Thailand for expats especially with the thai baht being high. 28 to 1US$

Edited by gamini

The cost would probably be very close to the cost in the UK now.

So you know the lifestyle you would like to lead , work out roughly what it would cost you in blighty and you wont be far off to the cost here.

• Like 2

I moved to Bangkok in early 2006. As I recall, it was costing me approx. 40 thousand baht a month.. which included everything.. rent , food, entertainment, etc. Now, I don't know.. I don't live in Bangkok anymore. Get out of Bangkok, Pattaya and the costs go way down. However saying that, this was when the baht was approx. 38, 39 to a dollar.

I averaged 11 months of living expenses which does include rent. I live a modest but good lifestyle in a studio apartment in Lumpini on Rama 4 Road. The average for the 11 months from March 2012 to January 2013 is 42,484 baht per month. Hope this helps and no way could I have done this for this price in the USA. smile.png

I averaged 11 months of living expenses which does include rent. I live a modest but good lifestyle in a studio apartment in Lumpini on Rama 4 Road. The average for the 11 months from March 2012 to January 2013 is 42,484 baht per month. Hope this helps and no way could I have done this for this price in the USA. :)

Based on previous experience I was thinking 50 k a month plus rent should afford a very nice lifestyle....

I spend 100k a month in the Uk and hate it..

Thanks for your reply....

I averaged 11 months of living expenses which does include rent. I live a modest but good lifestyle in a studio apartment in Lumpini on Rama 4 Road. The average for the 11 months from March 2012 to January 2013 is 42,484 baht per month. Hope this helps and no way could I have done this for this price in the USA. smile.png

Based on previous experience I was thinking 50 k a month plus rent should afford a very nice lifestyle....

You state that you have not been in Thailand for 18 month's when you come back you will see quite a price difference the BT then was more than likely in the upper 50's now at around 43, the £ has gone down by 15% + to the bt since Christmas. Then there will be the increase in price's anything between 10 & 25% a rough guide for you would be what did it cost you before (your life style) and now add at LEAST 40%. To give you an idea I with my family 3 of us had a meal in BKK a few week's ago some western food some Thai must admit at a very nice Restaurant and the price's were about the same if not slightly more than I would have paid in London. And I'm up todate with London price's have just returned from there.

Edited by fredob43

depends on your age and lifestyle. It is almost impossible to give even a rough estimate . I like a good wine with my meals and that could cost up to Bt1500. A decent condo appartment could cost Bt60-75,000 a month and so on. Servants? Clubs ? The only thong I can say is that it is getting quite expensive now in Thailand for expats especially with the thai baht being high. 28 to 1US$

"decent" condo/apartment for 60-75k a month? 1500baht for wine at your meals? Servants?

clap2.gif

There is another thread running over at General Topics as to whether 40k/mth is sufficient.

Since you are not counting rent and you already have a gf who is not financially dependent on you, I would say that your estimate of 50k/mth will keep you in a very comfortable lifestyle without much worries, unless you are planning to eat only western food and in nicer places.

To give you an example:

I was dining in Chesa (Swiss restaurant) in Suk 20 with two others. We had 2 starters, 3 main courses, couple of desserts, a bottle of wine and a few other drinks - total bill, just under Thb 8,000.

Then we adjourned to a wine bar on Suk 24 (in between the two wings of the Davis Hotel). Had one bottle of wine for Thb 11k - yes, 2 ones followed by 3 zeros. Way too excessive and personally, unnecessary.

So, with a good balance of Western and Thai food, nice restaurants as well as open air restaurants, 50k will do very nicely.

You state that you have not been in Thailand for 18 month's when you come back you will see quite a price difference the BT then was more than likely in the upper 50's now at around 43, the £ has gone down by 15% + to the bt since Christmas. Then there will be the increase in price's anything between 10 & 25% a rough guide for you would be what did it cost you before (your life style) and now add at LEAST 40%. To give you an idea I with my family 3 of us had a meal in BKK a few week's ago some western food some Thai must admit at a very nice Restaurant and the price's were about the same if not slightly more than I would have paid in London. And I'm up todate with London price's have just returned from there.

When i was last in Bkk i was getting around 48thb/£,and through friends living there i understand that living costs have appreciated quite alot...

I still think i will be at least 25% better off per month than back in London,plus have a better standard of living too...

There is another thread running over at General Topics as to whether 40k/mth is sufficient.

Since you are not counting rent and you already have a gf who is not financially dependent on you, I would say that your estimate of 50k/mth will keep you in a very comfortable lifestyle without much worries, unless you are planning to eat only western food and in nicer places.

To give you an example:

I was dining in Chesa (Swiss restaurant) in Suk 20 with two others. We had 2 starters, 3 main courses, couple of desserts, a bottle of wine and a few other drinks - total bill, just under Thb 8,000.

Then we adjourned to a wine bar on Suk 24 (in between the two wings of the Davis Hotel). Had one bottle of wine for Thb 11k - yes, 2 ones followed by 3 zeros. Way too excessive and personally, unnecessary.

So, with a good balance of Western and Thai food, nice restaurants as well as open air restaurants, 50k will do very nicely.

Thanks for your reply....TBH i would eat Thai over western food most days,i like cooking and would aim to cook for myself at least 5 days a week,and then out at the weekends...

My gf is totally self sufficient and requires me for bf purposes and nothing more,which is a blessing...

50k a month is looking like a nice number given my lifestyle....

Thai wife and I live here on around B70,000 per month. We're non-drinkekrs not into nite life scene, house and cars all paid for, eat out a few times a month, pretty normal stuff. We live in Bangkok.

Edited by Spaniel
  • Like 2

Yes I like that attitude too, I dont give a rats arse if people comment that I may be envious of them but 300k a month to live comfortably <deleted>!! My wife and I lived in a nice modern 50sqm 1 bed in Ratchada nr Soi 3 for 12,000 pm and it was nice with pool and gym. I worked in All Seasons Place for 43,000 pm and the wife was on 25,000 pm, we lived really well and saved plenty. No car just Honda Click 555! But well travelled and very happy. Living on 100 - 300k pm is pretty out there, but I suppose a flash apartment and serious boozing combined with a large SUV could account for a fair bit of dosh. I would love a month in Thailand with 300,000 baht in my pocket.

• Like 1

Morgage 30k

Car repayment 10k

Truck repayment 10k

Utilities . Elec.water.ubc.phone etc 10k

Gas 10k

Phone 5k ( 2 phones me and mrs)

Health.life insurance . Me mrs and kid . 10k

School 10k

Food for home 5k

Eating out 10k

Booze 10k

Incidentals .car repair.new clothes.detlntist.opticians etc 10k

Damn it starts to add up

Thai wife and I live here on around B70,000 per month. We're non-drinkekrs not into nite life scene, house and cars all paid for, eat out a few times a month, pretty normal stuff. We live in Bangkok.[/quote

That was around the figure I was looking at....

I've got my monthly down to b10k + 5k for travel, so 15k. It is very tight, but is my new goal as thb hits <29usd.

Wife pays 35% of the rent-utils and now contributes to her end of travel expenses. The Thai baht is killing me.

We go for pizza or cheap steak once every month. I eat fruit and oatmeal in morning in the flat, Thai otherwise.

I have gym from her co worker, incls pool at b500 year in her condo

Cut my drinking in half, but raised quality of booze a bit. 2L month.

Next year will look for work. I don't want to dig into the nest egg till 62.

I don't go to bars any more. Never saw gogo bars as nothing more than oppty to suck cheap drinks off guys dumb enough to own such establishments. Never got into hipster side of life, esp in bkk. Guess that makes me cooler than hipsters. Gogos are for guys that cant get laid by any other method and to dumb to just use gentlemans clubs.

Married, we take a nice trip once every two months as wifes job allows and two big trips (one intl) a year.

Our flat 30sqm is quiet, clean, nice bldg in middle of bkk 700m from mrt.

For me, its all about hunkering down, watching costs and what goes on in.usa and eorld economies.

I read, walk, excercise, plan our intl trips. Watch abt 3hrs tv a night. I dont miss waking up with a hangover.

The wife busy working, keeps her out of the flat. Shes getting a promotion this month.

For me (us), its slow and steady in this troubling times.

I am far happier her than I could ever be in the us, even in.best of times. Im my own man, save for being married now ☺. That is invaluable especislly as the world suffers so.

Anyway, one day it dawns on you - you cant go back. You can always return, but you csnt go back.

Many will see my life as a hardship, but living this way has allowed me to break free from serfdom at a very early age.

As a lifelong backpacker, now married to a sporty Thai backpacker if we had money, it would just be squirrelled away for longer (note not more luxurious) adventure. So, even if I had more money, much of it would not be spent on a slothful Bangkok lifestyle.

Another item to add: Many times guys with all the dosh pay more because they simply have not worked out how to pay less. They THINK that the services they avail are faster or more convenient, but are often neither. So, I get often get better, fadter AND cheaper.

Finally, I have never been one to have people wait on me. I very, very much dislike waiting on waiters and paying for it as well.

PS: the 10k also incls 1500 to joint savings per month. Ive put off Dentist till next month robbing Peter to pay Paul. Next month also half on her fathers glasses (1000).

I've got my monthly down to b10k + 5k for travel, so 15k. It is very tight, but is my new goal as thb hits <29usd.

Wife pays 35% of the rent-utils and now contributes to her end of travel expenses. The Thai baht is killing me.

We go for pizza or cheap steak once every month. I eat fruit and oatmeal in morning in the flat, Thai otherwise.

I have gym from her co worker, incls pool at b500 year in her condo

Cut my drinking in half, but raised quality of booze a bit. 2L month.

Next year will look for work. I don't want to dig into the nest egg till 62.

I don't go to bars any more. Never saw gogo bars as nothing more than oppty to suck cheap drinks off guys dumb enough to own such establishments. Never got into hipster side of life, esp in bkk. Guess that makes me cooler than hipsters. Gogos are for guys that cant get laid by any other method and to dumb to just use gentlemans clubs.

Married, we take a nice trip once every two months as wifes job allows and two big trips (one intl) a year.

Our flat 30sqm is quiet, clean, nice bldg in middle of bkk 700m from mrt.

For me, its all about hunkering down, watching costs and what goes on in.usa and eorld economies.

I read, walk, excercise, plan our intl trips. Watch abt 3hrs tv a night. I dont miss waking up with a hangover.

The wife busy working, keeps her out of the flat. Shes getting a promotion this month.

For me (us), its slow and steady in this troubling times.

I am far happier her than I could ever be in the us, even in.best of times. Im my own man, save for being married now ☺. That is invaluable especislly as the world suffers so.

Anyway, one day it dawns on you - you cant go back. You can always return, but you csnt go back.

Many will see my life as a hardship, but living this way has allowed me to break free from serfdom at a very early age.

As a lifelong backpacker, now married to a sporty Thai backpacker if we had money, it would just be squirrelled away for longer (note not more luxurious) adventure. So, even if I had more money, much of it would not be spent on a slothful Bangkok lifestyle.

Another item to add: Many times guys with all the dosh pay more because they simply have not worked out how to pay less. They THINK that the services they avail are faster or more convenient, but are often neither. So, I get often get better, fadter AND cheaper.

Finally, I have never been one to have people wait on me. I very, very much dislike waiting on waiters and paying for it as well.

PS: the 10k also incls 1500 to joint savings per month. Ive put off Dentist till next month robbing Peter to pay Paul. Next month also half on her fathers glasses (1000).

Nice way of living......so easy to get caught up with needing everything,I've def been guilty of that?..

Prices in BKK match up with western price if you want quality and a comfortable lifestyle. I would say at least 300,000 if you want to have a good time and not be a cheap charlie

300,000 is about £7k a month...

Cheap Charlie? laugh.png

RAZZ

The lifestyle I have here would cost 100% more in the part of West London I'm from originally.

Rent a modern 100sqm duplex in Asoke

Like the OP, I'm not a drinker, very rarely partake in the P4P nonsense but I do frequent nightclubs

I eat Thai and Western food I buy from places like Villa and the Gourmet Food Halls at Emporium-type places

I take taxis pretty much everywhere unless a trip on the BTS from Asoke would be quicker

The woman I'm seeing brings her own dosh to the table and doesn't live with me

I could comfortably fund this lifestyle on 70k

The lifestyle I have here would cost 100% more in the part of West London I'm from originally.

Rent a modern 100sqm duplex in Asoke

Like the OP, I'm not a drinker, very rarely partake in the P4P nonsense but I do frequent nightclubs

I eat Thai and Western food I buy from places like Villa and the Gourmet Food Halls at Emporium-type places

I take taxis pretty much everywhere unless a trip on the BTS from Asoke would be quicker

The woman I'm seeing brings her own dosh to the table and doesn't live with me

I could comfortably fund this lifestyle on 70k

Thanks for the reply....I'm a West Londoner,living in Surrey....

I've had a few people estimate around 70k,which is the figures kinda had in mind....

Thanks again....