Protesters Seek To Raise Huge Thai Flag Near Preah Vihear

webfact

Protesters seek to raise flag near Preah Vihear
THE NATION
Si Sa Ket

30204205-01_big.jpg

SI SA KET: -- A confrontation between demonstrators and soldiers ended peacefully yesterday with an agreement to raise a giant Thai flag inside a disputed section of land along the border with Cambodia near Preah Vihear Temple, although a senior officer later said the banner would have to be raised outside the contested zone.

Colonel Thanya Kiatsarn, deputy commander of the Suranaree Command, made the promise in front of the protesters and media, but later Lt-General Jeerasak Chomprasop, chief of the Second Army Area, said the flag would be flown but not in the 4.6-square-kilometre disputed zone.

About 500 nationalists, led by General Preecha Iamsuphan, have been rallying under the banner of the Patriot Thai Group |for the Thai flag to be raised in |the area with overlapping claims to assert Thai sovereignty.

Their show of loyalty was in response to the meeting of the International Court of Justice in Brussels to hear testimony from Thai and Cambodian representatives after Cambodia requested a reinterpretation of the 1962 ruling on the Hindu temple.

TIGHT SECURITY

About 2,000 soldiers, police and security officials were mobilised to the area leading to Preah Vihear National Park on the Thai side to prevent the group from entering the area out of concern that their activities might incite violence.

A sign was put up saying that Kantharalak district, where the national park is located, was under martial law to remind the activists that officials have the authority to break up any gathering.

After the troops promised to fly the national flag in the contested territory, the group dispersed.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-18

I always love no matter what the demonstration or the purpose, the participants always have to have a colour to wear - this time purple scarves. Such a need to belong - such insecurity.

Fashion is more important than the cause.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like they are feeling insecure with what the International court decides and are going to try to keep fanning the flames of nationalism.

Kudos to the army for keeping it of the property at least until the court has decided.

• Like 2

I always love no matter what the demonstration or the purpose, the participants always have to have a colour to wear - this time purple scarves. Such a need to belong - such insecurity.

The "purple scarves" are part of the uniform of that section of the army that are on duty at Preah Vihear.They are soldiers that you see in the photo with the flag.

Cheers

• Like 1

If these protesters are so worried about the loss of Thai land, then they should all rush down to south Thailand and try to regain the thousands of square kilometers lost down there..

Ah, but that's really dangerous...

clap2.gif

Definite increase in military activity in Amphur Kantharalak in the last few days. Soldiers back shopping in town in numberssmile.png .

On a more serious side the air force (for which read 6 old F-somethings based in Ubon) keep buzzing overhead like they did in the mini-trouble period 2 years ago. Dangerous stuff, those old kites seem to crash in Thailand at the rate of one every year or so!

I have visited this temple from the Cambodian side. Not sure what kind of intel that Thailand has, but Cambodia has built up a fairly serious amount of army bases all along the route up to the temple...... Well at least the Thai air force F-somethings can fly around. Cambodia has about 20 MIG-21 planes but I do not believe they can fly. But guess it was not going to be an air war anyway... ;-)

Very keen observation regarding Thais.