Thai Parents Brace For Higher Student Uniform Costs

webfact

As far as I understand, if you supply a proper itemised receipt, the cost of the uniform is reimbursed if the child goes to a government school. Obviously there are limits

I believe that program was scrapped in favor of the tablets for students program.

Last week the parents received 380 Bt for every child in the local school to buy uniforms. Not sure if that was a one-off payment to help towards new uniforms.

What I don't understand is why uniform shirts are so relatively expensive here. How is it that Tescos in the UK are able to sell uniform shirts, sometimes at less than half the price that they are in Thailand? At current exchange rates they are TWO for 135 Baht.

These shirts are possibly manufactured in Asia, shipped to the UK and sold at an outlet with much higher overheads than Thailand.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand, if you supply a proper itemised receipt, the cost of the uniform is reimbursed if the child goes to a government school. Obviously there are limits

I believe that program was scrapped in favor of the tablets for students program.

Last week the parents received 380 Bt for every child in the local school to buy uniforms. Not sure if that was a one-off payment to help towards new uniforms.

What I don't understand is why uniform shirts are so relatively expensive here. How is it that Tescos in the UK are able to sell uniform shirts, sometimes at less than half the price that they are in Thailand? At current exchange rates they are TWO for 135 Baht.

These shirts are possibly manufactured in Asia, shipped to the UK and sold at an outlet with much higher overheads than Thailand.

read before reply guys

uk is cheapr than thailand he posts

maybe something to do with that crazy import tax for anything that can also be made in thailand

• 1 year later...

i have just been asked for 10000 for school uniforms..i said no way does it cost that for 2 boys age 9 and 12...do they still get a subsidy or as it stop..

whats the real cost of the uniforms..they go back to school next month

thew kids go to school in mukdahan near the loas border..

i have just been asked for 10000 for school uniforms..i said no way does it cost that for 2 boys age 9 and 12...do they still get a subsidy or as it stop..

whats the real cost of the uniforms..they go back to school next month

thew kids go to school in mukdahan near the loas border..

Students used to get a full subsidy for school uniforms during the Abhisit administration. With the Yingluck administration, both the full subsidy on school uniforms and the partial subsidy on school books was scrapped.

They were scrapped to ostensibly pay for the computer tablets that they were going to supply to ALL students in all grades up to M.6, as well as to all vocational college students, in 2012 (which would involve some 11-12 million tablets). I presume everyone knows what a flop that scam turned out to be.

Now, parents are stuck with ever-increasing costs associated with school uniforms. In regards to your specific situation, 10K does sound high, but I say that with a couple of caveats.

1. The roster of school uniforms inventory can be quite extensive when coupled with all the Boy Scout articles

2. You may wish to consider the better clothing material for school uniforms. It's more expensive, but often worthwhile when its lifespan is considered. The lowest priced uniform articles are thread-bare by the 2nd week, especially with the wear and tear that typical 9 and 12 year old boys put on them.

If you opt for the full on uniform set of the better quality material, for 2, I still don't think it would hit 10K, but it's likely to be closer than you might imagine. I would expect around 3K each.

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry reading the OP and some of what followed:

My 2 kids need a partial replacement and with both the wife's wages and my income the rise will not make much difference.

The other 3 kids who education I support if they were reliant on their mother incomes it would just make the hurdle a bit higher

The mother of 2 of them earns 250 baht a day working in a hot pork shop in the next village, father MIA since the youngest was 1 year old

The other mother scrapes a living from a small farm and mainly grows rice - enough said

I think that there will be kids that are not at school on day one. When not having uniforms for whatever reason becomes an issue for kids not going to school then there needs to be a rethink

read before reply guys

uk is cheapr than thailand he posts

maybe something to do with that crazy import tax for anything that can also be made in thailand

I just kitted my son out last year. Maybe total cost with rugby kit (with school badges), work wear for DT and science less than 200gbp, with Clarke's properly sized shoes not plimsoles as in Thailand.

Basically, you can buy a pack of 2 white school shirts for 4gbp, trousers for 5 GBP etc. Its the embroidered stuff that's expensive. The basic uniform is very very cheap in the UK.

In fact, basic clothing in the UK has become extremely cheap in the UK. I just bought fruit of the loom white t shirts for 3gbp a piece last week for lounging around. Discount outlets and sales abound here

Students used to get a full subsidy for school uniforms during the Abhisit administration. With the Yingluck administration, both the full subsidy on school uniforms and the partial subsidy on school books was scrapped.

But they got a nice new tablet though.

Which has proven to be a bitter pill to swallow

Which has proven to be a bitter pill to swallow

The scam has been a complete failure beginning with the tiny portion of students that actually did receive a new tablet and continuing through to the tablet's poor performance and right up to the tablet manufacturer's bankruptcy.

I'm all for UNIFORM (note: singular) in school. The problem here is they can have as many as four. Yes, FOUR freakin uniforms!!! Alright, not a major blow but I imagine it's something to think about for some Thai families with three kids.

It is all about business and face for the school and the only way it'll change is for people to speak up en masse. That and don't allow charlatans in to run your country and make an already naff system more expensive.

It is not one uniform it is about 3.

For my niece it is:

1. The blue skirt white shirt.

2: The sports uniform of tracksuit pants and top.

3: The guide uniform.

THe blue skirt white top needs 2 because there are always special occasions.

You forgot the separate shoes to go with each set and the sox which last a couple of weeks for each pair as the kids have to leave their shoes outside the classroom and slide around on their sox all day.

• 1 year later...

To the best of my understanding there are many children in the poor villages not going to school because the parents can not afford uniforms. It is all they can do to feed them.

I suppose some of them can get away with it because the Government has decided they don't need electricity in those schools. I wonder when they will be delivered their tablets?

A friend of mine from Italy teaches at a school outside of Udon. Dirt floors and no electricity. I doubt if they will receive tablets.

But the kids study Italian?